Baty Alquawen

Status Report - 23 October 2018

So if I understand this correctly there is going to little to no additional content between what we have in this "Beta" build and 1.0 which will presumably release at the end of the year. That pretty much means no major new content until next year which is pretty disappointing and i'm honestly having a hard time wrapping my head around it. If work is not going into implementing additional content or implementing critical features like vaulting/climbing than what are all their resources being devoted towards? Bugfixing and stability? Almost sounds like the team suffered some significant cutbacks if they are at a point that they can't even deliver a 1.0 build that has content parity with the legacy version. 

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

A tough but at least honest SR and shows what we can expect at the end of the year. We can only take what they give us, and honestly, rather less content, but with quality rather than much that does not work.

The reasons for this are known only to the involved persons involved ... and even if we wanted it, we would not understand much.

The earth will continue to turn ... every day.

• Beans 1

" Almost sounds like the team suffered some significant cutbacks..."

yeah...this exactly what I suspect :/ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

The XBone people were saying how that once a game is in preview with M$, it has to go 1.0 within a year or M$ owns the game.

So if I understand you correctly. because they pushed out an Xbox version they now have to release a weak 1.0 before the end of the year?

34 minutes ago, Lorax said:

So if I understand you correctly. because they pushed out an Xbox version they now have to release a weak 1.0 before the end of the year?

Pretty much, yeah.

• Beans 1

4 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

The XBone people were saying how that once a game is in preview with M$, it has to go 1.0 within a year or M$ owns the game.

Man, I'm not sure where things like that come from but this entire sentence is utter nonsense. Nothing like this ever existed for Game Preview titles.

• Haha 1
  • Beans 4

1 minute ago, RaptorM60 said:

Man, I'm not sure where things like that come from but this entire sentence is utter nonsense. Nothing like this ever existed for Game Preview titles.

Yeah, this was said over in the Xbox forum.

I was hoping it wasn't true....

• Beans 1

And yet you put it like it's the truth. Just to say it again: nothing like this ever existed for Game Preview titles. Publishing the game on Xbox has no repercussions on PC releases timing, or any repercussions on anything PC at all for that matter. BioHaze, please, stop typing random things on your keyboard, you've been on these forums for soooo much longer than I have, you can do better! :D

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Beans 1

I agree with IMT's comments about you going to BETA.  When you said you were doing it by the end of the year I thought that was a bit ambitious and you are proving me right.  I understand you need to have an end goal, but there is so much missing from the current game engine that was in the old engine it's laughable.   BETA is not going to be a survival game it's just going to be a PvP map with some infected as a minor irritation.  And that is not what I was looking for in this game :-(.   I grade this game as an L (listen to the community).

Edited by Fing
Adjustment
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

43 minutes ago, RaptorM60 said:

And yet you put it like it's the truth

No, I said that this was stated in the Xbox forum.

Then I extrapolated on the idea in case it were true.

I was hoping someone would clear it up for me.

It's all good.

I'm here to test.

As always.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Sad 1
  • Beans 2

Whats the guaratee the game will be stable in two months?? How many problems were in past 6 months: way too many. It was one step forward, three steps back. 

1 hour ago, RaptorM60 said:

And yet you put it like it's the truth. Just to say it again: nothing like this ever existed for Game Preview titles. Publishing the game on Xbox has no repercussions on PC releases timing, or any repercussions on anything PC at all for that matter. BioHaze, please, stop typing random things on your keyboard, you've been on these forums for soooo much longer than I have, you can do better! :D

Why then so hastily releasing 1.0 and not only beta...as it seems both versions will be identical except of a bit more polishing and bugfixing....I am sure you are right about this but this however leaves some bitter taste in my mouth :(

• Beans 1

if there is no pressure from xbox, and no pressure from pc, and the fanbase all just wants a complete product released for beta and is willing to wait then what is the point of releasing an unfinished product? you guys have been very transparent in the past but i cant help but feel something is being hidden from us.  there has to be some reason to release it evennif it isnt done even though the consumers dont want you to.  pressure from investors?  threats from big companys?  washing your hands of a project? i love the game and would wait 10 more years for the game if it came with all the crafting and survival features, i just would love to not only know whats happening but why.

• Like 1

Hey guys n gals, Xbone DayZ player here. Just popped over to this site of the forum to gauge the reaction to this status report. As a long time follower of DayZ & as someone whose been dying to play the game since the first days of the MOD I was intrigued to see how the latest announcement would play out. Well out of all the comments so far I've seen maybe 4-5 posts giving it a thumbs up but the vast majority of commenters are obviously unhappy, Understandable so.

Hell I'm not happy and I haven't been waiting nearly five years to be told that 1.0 will have less functionality, items, mechanics than an ancient MOD or even 0.62 version.

has anyone considered the fact that PS4 rarely allow early access games on there network may have something to do with pushing the game to 1.0 even though claiming it to be finished is almost tantamount to false advertising, and most definitely not the actions of a moralistic honest business entity. If you label your game as a finished 1.0 version and iron out most bugs and stability issues then play station will let you farm more cash from there network. 

Money speaks louder than promises to die hard fans. I look at the high forum levels of some of you guys n gals and see many of you have stuck around and supported this game and dev team for a long long time, I'd feel like I'd been gut punched too if I were you. 

Much love from xbone land, we've only been on the ride for two months but most of us who bought the game have already uninstalled.

Edited by TheYetiBum
  • Beans 5

On 10/23/2018 at 12:58 PM, Baty Alquawen said:

Critical new BETA features (not available in legacy versions of DayZ)

• Base building
    • related crafting, items, and their economy setup
    • precise placement of objects
    • electricity system
    • locking other players from accessing your base
  • New implementation of vehicles
    • improved controls, physics, and network synchronization
    • improved damage system
    • improvements in vehicle interactions, management, and maintenance
  • Modding support
    • implementation of the Steam Workshop
    • game launcher
    • specific modding tools
    • server files for hosting community servers
  • New player character features
    • visualization of bleeding source
    • character lifespan (growing beards, learning soft skills)
    • character restrain
    • hit reactions

I feel like the middle 2 sections of this list are basically padding.

Calling them not available in legacy versions is sort of a loose definition of the term.

"New implementation of vehicles"?

So all of the data from the first sets of implementations apparently did little to speed the development of these current Lada's.

The first iterations of the vehicles performed very similarly (slipping, unable to drive in higher gear ratios), and we're right back to square one.

Is modding support really a "game play" feature? It's a feature of the engine but I only get the end result as a player and it's not something that impacts Vanilla 1.0, is it?

So DayZ fell victim of some form of mission creep?

Shouldn't throwing items and vaulting been worked on from the very beginning?

This report seems to have left many of us with more questions than answers.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Beans 2

Also whoever the DayZ brand manager is definitely slept his way through this status report. Unless I was completely out of touch with reality and the general bad press surrounding this game there's no way in hell I'd have allowed this report to be released in this state. 

Even this lowly commenter knows that when you wanna give a gaming community a bag full of bad news you wrap it in nice shiny wrapping paper and tie a bloody bow on it, the 1.0 announcement should have stated somewhere exactly in detail every single item that's being added back in, none of this oh it'll be too long nonsense. Throw the community a frickin bone and learn some damage control.

Mays aswell just said "we want more money so were gonna stamp DONE on it in big letters so PS4 will let us sell in on the playstation network" 

i get it, it's a product & the dev team most likely have zero say on product release etc, it's in the hands of the money men. But jeez soften the blow atleast 

Edited by TheYetiBum
  • Beans 3

1 minute ago, TheYetiBum said:

the 1.0 announcement should have stated somewhere exactly in detail every single item that's being added back in

Man, I was just thinking this right before you posted it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Someone mentioned the infected breaking down doors. Can't believe I forgot to add that.

April 2016

• Beans 3

4 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Man, I was just thinking this right before you posted it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Someone mentioned the infected breaking down doors. Can't believe I forgot to add that.

April 2016

Yep the main issue with product development, any product that is. Is that you get tunnel visioned, especially in the game industry, you forget that what may be good news within the team is actually terrible news to the community, that's acceptable directly within the development team as there pulling long hours and spending numerous hours on mechanics, items etc under the direction of a leader who then may decide that those things aren't needed or necessary. It's a frustrating, tiring and demanding job.

i am not here to take a steamin dump on devs or members of art teams, animators etc.

but whoever the project leads is, the brand manager & finance manager as well as social media manager need a serious sit down to discuss public perception and long term product viability. But there playing the numbers, actuaries actually sit and work out perception/profit and after a nice fat xbone payout looks like the numbers are in & the numbers say no matter what we say or release, people will still buy the game on console

• Beans 2

2 minutes ago, TheYetiBum said:

discuss public perception and long term product viability.

Just read the Steam reviews, it's all there. They say there will be support for DayZ for at least 5 years after 1.0, but it's going to take at least another year after 1.0 to approach parity with .62.

DayZ is the only game I care to carry a gun in, and now there's only 8 to choose from?

They have 9 or so weeks to clean up what we have now, plus maybe add a bit more.

If historical trends persist, this is not likely achievable.

All the stuff we were shown, I thought was merely waiting to be merged in.

Instead it's vapor content, abandonflavor.

"We'll be extensively supporting a wide variety of play styles. If you want to be a mountain man and live off the grid, you'll have outfits, improvised shelters, improvised weapons, hunting and fishing, and many ways to not rely on looting the towns and cities to sustain yourself." - wasn't that part of the message not long ago?

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 3

19 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Just read the Steam reviews, it's all there. They say there will be support for DayZ for at least 5 years after 1.0, but it's going to take at least another year after 1.0 to approach parity with .62.

DayZ is the only game I care to carry a gun in, and now there's only 8 to choose from?

They have 9 or so weeks to clean up what we have now, plus maybe add a bit more.

If historical trends persist, this is not likely achievable.

All the stuff we were shown, I thought was merely waiting to be merged in.

Instead it's vapor content, abandonflavor.

"We'll be extensively supporting a wide variety of play styles. If you want to be a mountain man and live off the grid, you'll have outfits, improvised shelters, improvised weapons, hunting and fishing, and many ways to not rely on looting the towns and cities to sustain yourself." - wasn't that part of the message not long ago?

Yep couldn't agree more, the obvious assumption from fans was that all removed mechanics, tested mechanics & items along development would be merged back in before 1.0

Why would anyone assume anything else, who knew all along PC players were testing DLC content for console lol.

because that where I see this going, additional cost for 'flavour mechanic & content' to come after 1.0 release as DLC on console. As far as I'm concerned 1.0 as described in the status report is less than a quarter of what was previously alluded too. 

Im yet to here free additional post release content anywhere for console.

Edited by TheYetiBum

15 minutes ago, TheYetiBum said:

additional cost for 'flavour mechanic & content' to come after 1.0 release as DLC on console.

Yeah, PC version is free updates forever.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Beans 2

17 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Yeah, PC version is free updates forever.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed it'll be the same across all platforms and all future content/updates will be free on console. Even if this is the case and it will be free it doesn't detract from the fact that 1.0 is most definately only gonna be 1.0 by name not by content.

• Beans 1

On 10/23/2018 at 2:29 PM, GrosTon1 said:

I'm both sad and happy with this SR.

Sad that you promised us all 0.62 content in 0.63 beta + some things like obstacle climbing (and you showed us gifs in the past), that finally are not in.

Happy that the game will finally be "bug-free", "desynch-free" and that we will all be able to enjoy DayZ, even further with the near to come modding support.

Congrats, and thank you, to everyone who worked hard on DayZ, this is the end of something and the beginning of something even greater.

There isn't a shot in hell the game will be bug or desync free. Don't be naive as you were when you thought you were going to get all of the features you wanted.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 2:51 PM, odin_lowe said:

Personally, the thing I hated the most of DayZ mod was when Epoch and all those "base building" mods came around. I really didn't like those, and stuck with the vanilla DayZ mod, so the base building in the Stand Alone is my least important feature, one that I would've liked never implemented in the first place, and left to the modders...  

I would've really liked to see the baseball caps, engraved 1911 and fishing back in the game instead. Like, 1000x more...

Keep it up devs! But honestly disappointing Status Report.   :(

You can add most pre .63 items back into the game manually through the xml files on the server. I actually do that for the baseball caps cause I wanted them as well

• Beans 2