Sign in to follow this  
MaVerick_GDZ

Weapon name inconsistencies

Hello fellow DayZ players,

at one point in development quite a few weapon names were changed for whatever reason, afaik there was no explanation to be found yet. For example UMP was changed to USG etc.

But take a look at the following screenshots, as you can see it was at the same spot but from the view of 2 different players.

CF3ADE13AFCBFAA9F1B3E656CAC6F13B07610B1B

5EDC75FD7A0BAF0509A74FCFDFED6EB1C616F55E

Same server, same version, same language in options. The only difference between us is the homeland (germany/swiss). Funny thing is, he never understood why i was talking about name changes of the weapons because those names never changed for him.

Could someone please enlight me how this is possible? He/we never used any mods.

mav

• Beans 1

3 minutes ago, Accolyte said:

Most likely some sort of a licensing issue.

Yes, licensing I agree, seems likely  as UMP45 is made by Heckler & Koch, Germany.   But it is interesting to know that different versions of the  <same language text>  are downloaded to different country IPs.   Wouldn't it be easier to call each weapon by the same name in all languages?    e.g.  H&K have a subsidiary in Britain, so what is 'UMP45' called there ? 

It is not really that complicated to do if it really is licensing/legal. It is done a lot, especially in Germany, which is particularly touchy in this area. 

1 hour ago, Accolyte said:

It is not really that complicated to do if it really is licensing/legal. It is done a lot, especially in Germany, which is particularly touchy in this area. 

Up until now i thought those name changes were globally, not just in germany (are there other countries affected? Is this really true and not just a guess?). I am used to censorship here, those releases are usually declared as such, but this is some special BS.

Also why the UMP/USG? MP5 is still there in its full glory so it cant just be because of H&K. Id really like to know when am forced to play an inferior version because of the location where i am. Depending on how many countries got those name changes it can become quite a challenge when playing with people from other countries, as my screenshots may have shown.

9 minutes ago, -=maverick=- said:

Up until now i thought those name changes were globally, not just in germany (are there other countries affected? Is this really true and not just a guess?). I am used to censorship here, those releases are usually declared as such, but this is some special BS.

Also why the UMP/USG? MP5 is still there in its full glory so it cant just be because of H&K. Id really like to know when am forced to play an inferior version because of the location where i am. Depending on how many countries got those name changes it can become quite a challenge when playing with people from other countries, as my screenshots may have shown.

It is merely a guess. Can't imagine another reason for item names to be different on two different clients.

• Thanks 1