Sign in to follow this  
Marvel_Ham

EXPLOSIONS!

(Before everyone gets all defensive, this is not criticism. It is creative suggestion for post-release.)

More things need to EXPLODE in this game!  Chemical barrels, electrical boxes, the giant gas tanks, bonfires...you get the idea.

I heard rumors of grenades and rocket launchers may be coming...nice. Why nice? It can add elements of new playstyles and hazards everywhere. One example would be a defenseless survivor getting the advantage by timing an attack correctly. Add the rare surprise of hearing something loud cut through the silence of the environment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Molecular Drift 1.0 said:

Molotov cocktails

How did I not think of that? Appropriate & excellent idea!

I saw something about landmines too in an old PC post.

• Beans 1

17 minutes ago, Molecular Drift 1.0 said:

Molotov cocktails would be fun, especially if they were to be craftable as well!

I've been asking for this for years, literally.

I think we may have to leave it to the modders to put these in game.

To the OP:

Satchel charges and grenades were in the mod and the standalone did have grenades at one point.

There was also a time when shooting a gas station could make it explode but I believe that was changed (it caused problems for the server I think).

The mod also had a grenade launcher attachment for the M4 and I hope that is available in the future.

Maybe crafting stations (if ever made a reality) will allow us to make IED's.

• Beans 3

1 hour ago, Molecular Drift 1.0 said:

Molotov cocktails would be fun, especially if they were to be craftable as well!

1 hour ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

hmm, three different things below -  I'll just say them all at once, then I wont have to THINK about them anymore

Molotovs would be useful for clearing houses.

I think BI got the light leakage under control, when it was a problem for players using torches inside house's,  didn't they??  That was sorted. (tell me if I'm wrong)
So <flame/smoke> is just another application of a light source 
NOT more difficult that a hearth lighting a room (just a graphics variation on a campfire), but it also spreads heat -  And smoke rises through doors and staircases.. 
Simple AI  - it spreads and rises..the  molotov heats one area, the smoke spreads through doors and up stairs, along corridors.
Natch - molotov "smoke-light" causes player incremental damage.

That should be feasible with the particle effects now in the game. Just a variation on what is there now.  Plus a ripped-off zombie AI function to move the smoke clouds around.

AND

ps while I'm there  - I never understood why BI had such problems with "CELLARS"
I mean I understand their "reasons" but I don't understand the rationale ... (the landscape has been redesigned several times since this first came up)

Look BI dudes and dudesses  -

1) You make a square PIT in the country, in a FLAT area - make it standard 'one-floor' depth with the sides "as steep as you can get them". (give it rock or rough stone texture sides)

2) You build a house that is DEFINITELY larger than the pit on all sides. ( so house floorplan = "larger" & scenery pit = considerably "smaller".  got it? )

3) From inside it's ground floor the house model has  has a trapdoor and ladder, or a staircase, going DOWN one story beneath it ..(same as the roof or chimney going up, ya know.. except on the bottom)..

4) You place the house on top of the pit and settle it nicely onto the GROUND all around the pit.

Now you have a standard house, and in the middle of the main room there is a TRAPDOOR and a ladder down into .. darkness

- you can DO darkness,  right?

Even if you have to set the house manually - try this with 2 or 3 of the big buildings in cities.. give them an old cellar which is just in fact an oblong in the ground under the building.
- with access from above.  you CAN spawn loot there, or add scenery objects.

I know you (BI)  were - at one time - thinking about this and messing with it - My estimation is that you didn't consider that you just have to make the building floorplan much larger than the "hole/steep square valley/ravine/pit/whatever" that the building sits over. There doesn't have to be anything interesting in it, just "darkness" and (maybe loot) a ladder up and down, and a manhole cover .. ya know ?? 

AND

As a final thought Ive been mulling over for a WHILE.  You ought to be able to take the pin out of a GRENADE and hold it in your hand for any length of time before you throw it.. BUT THEN if you carry out any other hand movement.. like e.g. being SHOT - or putting your hands on your head to surrender.. or being handcuffed .. you DROP the grenade... OK ??   <nice hu??... take the bandits out with you>  .. (or maybe you could fake it even with just a DROP option to go with the THROW option, to make life easier)

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 2

6 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

Molotovs would be useful for clearing houses.

I think BI got the light leakage under control, when it was a problem for players using torches inside house's,  didn't they??  That was sorted. (tell me if I'm wrong)
So <flame/smoke> is just another application of a light source 
NOT more difficult that a hearth lighting a room (just a graphics variation on a campfire), but it also spreads heat -  And smoke rises through doors and staircases.. 
Simple AI  - it spreads and rises..the  molotov heats one area, the smoke spreads through doors and up stairs, along corridors.
Natch - molotov "smoke-light" causes player incremental damage.

That should be feasible with the particle effects now in the game. Just a variation on what is there now.  Plus a ripped-off zombie AI function to move the smoke clouds around.

This is great, man.

Would you please copy pasta this to the status report, or maybe make a thread in the suggestion section?

They have never said anything about Molotovs and it's very sad. This is why I assume they will let modders do this.

I want them most for crowd control.

If we get hordes, we need sawed-off shotguns, grenades, and Molotovs, please.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 3

50 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I want them most for crowd control.

Yes - I hadn't thought of that - a molotov should drive zombies back from an area for a time , or kill them if they are dumb enough or close enough to walk into the heat.. 

• Like 1

Maybe not entire buildings, but at least maybe seeing doors and windows ignite would make for some thrilling encounters.

Edited by Marvel_Ham

On 10/10/2018 at 3:03 AM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I think we may have to leave it to the modders to put these in game.

To the OP:

Satchel charges and grenades were in the mod and the standalone did have grenades at one point.

There was also a time when shooting a gas station could make it explode but I believe that was changed (it caused problems for the server I think).

The mod also had a grenade launcher attachment for the M4 and I hope that is available in the future.

Maybe crafting stations (if ever made a reality) will allow us to make IED's.

I think Biohazard is right. Old schoolers of dayz have always wanted to see molotovs. We have come this far with no mention of mollies these past years(to my knowledge) so i think its going to be up to some rad modder dude from the community. Where art thou mollie creator, you are out there somewhere. (kissess in advance)

On 10/10/2018 at 2:42 AM, Molecular Drift 1.0 said:

Bottle + rag + petrol + matches :D

On 10/10/2018 at 1:48 AM, Marvel_Ham said:

(Before everyone gets all defensive, this is not criticism. It is creative suggestion for post-release.)

More things need to EXPLODE in this game!  Chemical barrels, electrical boxes, the giant gas tanks, bonfires...you get the idea.

I heard rumors of grenades and rocket launchers may be coming...nice. Why nice? It can add elements of new playstyles and hazards everywhere. One example would be a defenseless survivor getting the advantage by timing an attack correctly. Add the rare surprise of hearing something loud cut through the silence of the environment.

The arma games always had destructable buildings but im not sure about dayz. You use to be able to blow up petrol stations but me and some freinds tried a while ago and it would not work

On 10/10/2018 at 4:04 AM, pilgrim* said:

ps while I'm there  - I never understood why BI had such problems with "CELLARS"
I mean I understand their "reasons" but I don't understand the rationale ... (the landscape has been redesigned several times since this first came up)

Look BI dudes and dudesses  -

1) You make a square PIT in the country, in a FLAT area - make it standard 'one-floor' depth with the sides "as steep as you can get them". (give it rock or rough stone texture sides)

2) You build a house that is DEFINITELY larger than the pit on all sides. ( so house floorplan = "larger" & scenery pit = considerably "smaller".  got it? )

3) From inside it's ground floor the house model has  has a trapdoor and ladder, or a staircase, going DOWN one story beneath it ..(same as the roof or chimney going up, ya know.. except on the bottom)..

4) You place the house on top of the pit and settle it nicely onto the GROUND all around the pit.

Now you have a standard house, and in the middle of the main room there is a TRAPDOOR and a ladder down into .. darkness

- you can DO darkness,  right?

The lighting has def been fixed. Light leaks (at night) through buildings and building geometry has been fixed atleast. One thing i dont think we will see is darkness inside buildings during the day etc. I wish i saved the post but someone had a link i read on a thread not so long ago that stated they(devs) didnt want to bother changing the darkness, "atmosphere" in side buildings which is rather sad. On a dark stormy day buildings interiors should be creepy and darker. Oh well at least theres no gamma slider and light sources and night vision has a high value and purpose now. I think alot of us had been waiting a long arse time for something like this that should be considered so standard for games and DayZ in general :D

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

Sign in to follow this