Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

Street Lights

This scripting language is no longer supported in the game.

On 10/8/2018 at 11:09 PM, Mizev said:

This scripting language is no longer supported in the game.

I understand that. I was giving that link as an example so people know what I'm talking about. Thanks for the support though!

Light can be turned on because the devs had one street light on per town in early DayZ SA so it's possible.

Hi Weyland, long time no see!  I can't be of any help here but I love the idea of streetlamps.  Getting a power system working and lighting up a main street at night would be a sight worth the effort.

On 10/10/2018 at 7:40 PM, GaryWalnuts said:

Hi Weyland, long time no see!  I can't be of any help here but I love the idea of streetlamps.  Getting a power system working and lighting up a main street at night would be a sight worth the effort.

Hey Gary!

We're probing for a solution with the Power Grid idea I've had since 2014. Hopefully someone will make it. I was going to post that here, but it sounds more complicated than just getting Street Lights working. I'll take the Street Lights first and cross fingers for the Power Grid idea later.

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)
  • Beans 1

They stated in the last dev update that a power system would be in place. For now you could look at the flashlight config, and basically add that to a streetlamps in a config, and then write a script to tun it on..

The streetlights and building lights should be configured all the same since the terrain/natural/artificial objects are all still p3d/RV configs.

On 10/26/2018 at 2:37 PM, NonovUrbizniz (DayZ) said:

They stated in the last dev update that a power system would be in place. For now you could look at the flashlight config, and basically add that to a streetlamps in a config, and then write a script to tun it on..

The streetlights and building lights should be configured all the same since the terrain/natural/artificial objects are all still p3d/RV configs.

Thanks for the post. Hopefully someone is working on this as I feel it's most most important mod anybody could make right now. DayZ needs desperately needs proper night play.

How the light spills from the lamp in a cone shape on the street sets the mood. Maybe a flickering light for additional immersion.

hi

i really like the idea of electrifying chernarus and if this is something BI is evaluating at the moment, here are some ideas from my side.. beginning at the source:

• we need at least 1 functionable and enterable small powerplant
  • add switching functions to the transformer stations to electrify certain regions
  • add a functionable power grid system to chernarus
  • there are some broken transmission lines on chernarus, but this should be dynamic. power lines should be affected by wind + time or player interaction, they can brake and should be repairable afterwards with improvised item crafts, climbing up power poles and towing the lines up...
  • high voltage is deadly
  • in fact we can say chernarus power consumer buildings and street lighting are connected via earth cables since we are missing overhead power lines to the buildings
  • make electricity to a gameplay feature for more advanced survivors to use machines as mentionend by peter for example lumber mills ...the battle for electricity as a higher surviving goal
  • not every single lightsource should work if powered, lets say 50% of all lights should be defect... also add flickering lightsources for more apocalyptic feeling

some smaller electric parts for basebuilding are already in the gamefiles so i welcome any move in this direction.

• Beans 1

Or you can connect a generator to an "electric house / electric tower" and illuminate a village or parts of a city. Maybe there are even larger power generators (as trailer or military version)

11 hours ago, Funkdoc said:

hi

i really like the idea of electrifying chernarus and if this is something BI is evaluating at the moment, here are some ideas from my side.. beginning at the source:

• we need at least 1 functionable and enterable small powerplant
  • add switching functions to the transformer stations to electrify certain regions
  • add a functionable power grid system to chernarus
  • there are some broken transmission lines on chernarus, but this should be dynamic. power lines should be affected by wind + time or player interaction, they can brake and should be repairable afterwards with improvised item crafts, climbing up power poles and towing the lines up...
  • high voltage is deadly
  • in fact we can say chernarus power consumer buildings and street lighting are connected via earth cables since we are missing overhead power lines to the buildings
  • make electricity to a gameplay feature for more advanced survivors to use machines as mentionend by peter for example lumber mills ...the battle for electricity as a higher surviving goal
  • not every single lightsource should work if powered, lets say 50% of all lights should be defect... also add flickering lightsources for more apocalyptic feeling

some smaller electric parts for basebuilding are already in the gamefiles so i welcome any move in this direction.

This is essentially my Power Grid idea I was referencing to Gary. I got the idea from the original Breaking Point mod from DayZ Mod where you had to go to the Cherno and Elektro powergrid to do something and it would turn on the Green Mountain transmission. 

In a perfect world, I would love this and we've got someone who posted it for us in a modding forum, but it's obviously a challenge and would just be happy to have a Street Lights script that put the lights on so we can get a night cycle going with asses in seats max pop.

6 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

Or you can connect a generator to an "electric house / electric tower" and illuminate a village or parts of a city. Maybe there are even larger power generators (as trailer or military version)

It's cool that it's in the game. But it's going to be way too much work to get anything powered on a macro scale. Illuminating a house, cool great! Powering a Hamlet, Township, or City...very unlikely.

I agree with them. But for me a complete lighting of civilization does not come as a wish. For me, this destroys the apocalyptic setting of Chernarus into a "broken/disintegration  GTAZ".

only my sight.

6 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

I agree with them. But for me a complete lighting of civilization does not come as a wish. For me, this destroys the apocalyptic setting of Chernarus into a "broken/disintegration  GTAZ".

only my sight.

You have to make concessions to get the people to play, nothing else works or has worked and it's been 7 years man...7 god dam years. When is enough enough? 2 million users refused night play on the mod and almost 4 million feel the same way about it now. It's about immersion, fun, and being scared. Running around in a black screen isn't fun, it's garbage. Whats scary about a black screen? Nothing.

Street lights isn't going to make DayZ turn into GTA anymore than it already has. Thats preposterous!

There are a lot of things in-game that doesn't fit the apocalypse bill.

Red blood stains, blood dries black. Why doesn't this turn DayZ into GTAZ? It doesn't because thats stupid. Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0379073816303358

If you don't like street lights, ok...the door is that way. To be fair, you should march over to some of the more deserving threads of highly questionable mods that ruin the experience and tell them how they're turning DayZ into GTAZ perhaps?

Do not get me wrong, I am not against the idea of the whole lighting. If the rest of the setting fits: yes, certainly ok.

The good thing about Mods will be: People with similar interests will find each other ... no matter if it's PvP with Laserrails or PVE / RP or even Chernarus Anno1607.

2 hours ago, DannyDog said:

Holy cow, thats looking pretty good.

IWtR1CU.jpg

Really sets the mood.

I like this one too because you can see a lil bit of light up ahead...just enough navigate by. Something to shoot for.

I7vjeD6.jpg

This one is a good showcase of best results.

zywYarK.jpg

Mind you tho i very slightly boosted night time brightness. Without doing so it makes all light sources in general very dim. But yea thanks :)

I'll release this as a mod soon.

Edited by DannyDog
  • Beans 1

8 hours ago, DannyDog said:

Mind you tho i very slightly boosted night time brightness. Without doing so it makes all light sources in general very dim. But yea thanks :)

I'll release this as a mod soon.

I noticed that some alterations to light. I don't know if this helps or not, but I kept several versions of builds from the 0.40's through 0.50's when DayZ had one night light on per town. Let me know.

13 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

I noticed that some alterations to light. I don't know if this helps or not, but I kept several versions of builds from the 0.40's through 0.50's when DayZ had one night light on per town. Let me know.

Can you enable pm's i cant seem to msg you.

Is there a way to edit the construction light to fool it into always being on and removing the legs on objectbuilder then just place them on to the street light bulb position with the community offline editor?

Well I know there is a light, as just a light, as in there is nothing attached to it its just light lol. But were talking ALOT of work to place them via mission file...would take ages. It would be easier, at least in my opinion, if someone  made a oil lantern, or 2. One stationary with its own pole and one that attaches to a fence post as a modded object, that we could then place around the map.

Edited by Denuth