Raible

It's Been 6 Years

4 hours ago, Beavis3D said:

a fantastic little space trading game on the 64-bit computers we had in the early 80:s

8-bit  ..   Zilog Z80 CPU

- just saying

• Beans 1

29 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

8-bit  ..   Zilog Z80 CPU

- just saying

Hehe my bad, I gave up trying to learn the underlying magic in these machines long ago. I believe it was after trying in vain to use Basic to make circles bounce around the screen on my C64.

"SYNTAX ERROR"

All that gibberish is just not compatible with my brain...

Edited by Beavis3D
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beavis3D said:

..//.. the underlying magic ..//..

started off in Z80 machine code on the Spectrum
damn
guess that explains my life

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

I agree and I'm glad I didn't say it.   

Give that man a cigar.

Not to be trifling, but did you happen to read the bit of text I quoted you?

"The number of people interested in DayZ on PC in ANY form, mod or not mod - will NEVER be any more than it is now."

I'm not too sure on the 5th dimensional semantics, but I'd say that the above statement is synonymous with the PC market being tapped-out for potential new DayZ customers.  Ingrid Bergman I ain't.

12 hours ago, emuthreat said:

..//..Ingrid Bergman I ain't ..//..

That's for sure !   And not Ingmar, either. 
Did they smoke cigars ?

Hey, ET..  Isn't there someone else you can talk to, about radical market trends and running an enlarged private company with 350 employees against stiff competition?  Thanx buddy.
Say, do you know how many <programmers> BI have on their staff, worldwide, and how many individual games & platforms they are working on?  Look it up, its on their site -
it is important factor, don't you agree, in the context of "software development & support" ?   Allocation of resources.

What do you think about paid DLCs after 1.0 ?   - Do BI ever do that?

Pecker up!  Everything you want will happen soon ! You couldn't be more sure of it, 100% and that is a very good attitude. I admire that  in a man  a woman or an emu or  wherever it rears it's head.

Tatanko & Rustycaddy (et al?)  put some interesting entries on Base Building on the [fan-driven] DayZ Wiki a while ago.

https://dayz.gamepedia.com/Base_Building

xxp

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Beans 1

This game is a utter shit show. Had all the potential in the world.. but like others have said.. Its like hiring a contractor, you pay them then they skip town.

You got goofballs like Bio, defending it to the end... when the servers are fucking dead.  Happy Bio? only idiots like you hang out in empty servers. This EA shit is for the birds..  I have to say, it was a special game, otherwise we wouldn't even be talking about this right now, it had all the potential in the world.. however these devs don't give a shit, if its not apparent by now, then seek some help.

This convo is hilarious, how many years have to go by till you guys realize this is someone's part-time hobby? The money has been made, its done. Enjoy it for what it is, a buggy mess... Honestly at this rate it WONT be done in 10 years..

^^ so much effort.  u litterally made a new account just so that you could anonymously troll and flame a heavily contibuting member of the dayz community.... sounds like your time coulda been better spent gaming... even if the servers of whatever game u chose were empty.... 

• Haha 1
  • Beans 1

18 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Pecker up!  Everything you want will happen soon ! You couldn't be more sure of it, 100% and that is a very good attitude. I admire that  in a man  a woman or an emu or  wherever it rears it's head.

Well, it looks like a good chunk of it just came along today.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say all this bitchin worked.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shadowvamp said:

This game is a utter shit show. Had all the potential in the world.. but like others have said.. Its like hiring a contractor, you pay them then they skip town.

You got goofballs like Bio, defending it to the end... when the servers are fucking dead.  Happy Bio? only idiots like you hang out in empty servers. This EA shit is for the birds..  I have to say, it was a special game, otherwise we wouldn't even be talking about this right now, it had all the potential in the world.. however these devs don't give a shit, if its not apparent by now, then seek some help.

This convo is hilarious, how many years have to go by till you guys realize this is someone's part-time hobby? The money has been made, its done. Enjoy it for what it is, a buggy mess... Honestly at this rate it WONT be done in 10 years..

Ummm, maybe give it another go.  The content patch just dropped.  Looks like we are just around the corner from something resembling what we have all been waiting for

41 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

Looks like we are just around the corner from something resembling what we have all been waiting for

Yep.  It's here.  Everything we've been waiting for.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 6:41 AM, Raible said:

Yep.  It's here.  Everything we've been waiting for.

well, Brian Hicks left BI at 0.63 because he had "nothing more to do"
     as he says himself :
" I feel DayZ has reached a point in which I,  much like how Dean felt years back - am no longer needed. ..// .. now that you have started to see and touch DayZ .63 "

...   so I guess it's a  happy ending to the thread

https://dayz.com/blog/status-report-may-8-2018#/title2

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
state of the nation

There were nothing to do in DayZ in general, but now it is becoming better. 

Stresstest #50 is rather epic, there are few little issues, but nothing majorly bad. It feels so much more entertaining than current experimental build, and I enjoy current experimental build. It is not purely DayZ in this stresstest as it is mainly DM in NWAF and vehicles testing, but it is just beautiful. Becoming pretty happy about DayZ, I think there is not going to be a thread like "it's been 7 years" :D 

Also some tips of basebuilding appeared, if you find axe and you go to the tree you can see options for basebuilding, I guess you are going to look for groups to build bases, I suppose it might be difficult to build bases alone. Hopefully axes aren't going to get ruined by few trees like it used to be earlier. 

Edited by Mantasisg

On 19.10.2018 at 6:59 AM, emuthreat said:

Looks like we are just around the corner from something resembling what we have all been waiting for

There are no more corners. We are running around in circle. The smartest of us jumped off from this carousel broken promises.

Edited by Seitan

I haven't really even read the whole 1.0 announcement but... anyone who didn't know we'd be here now was just being oblivious whether purposely or not... I knew it would take 3-5 years and I don't make games for a living... I knew it COULD take as long as 5-7 years...

They could have even just admitted this to the public last year or the year before and started treating "Stable" as DayZ 1 and "Experimental/Stress" as DayZ 2... they could have opened up modding for DayZ 1 and regained a player base... they could have held events in the old engine while they peacefully worked on the new one in relative obscurity/peace... They could have offered DLCs for DayZ 1 or had modding competitions, actually sold merch...

It's a real shame that they chose stubbornly to pretend they could get it done in a totally unrealistic timeline and couldn't ever course correct no matter how many times it became obvious that their initial plan was a complete fabrication of ego.

Having said all that... we're here now... I would have preferred sticking to it's done when it's done than to throw in the towel and hobble together the closest thing they can to what they wanted... but as a company they certainly need to establish a cutoff point and start generating income and pushing their other franchises forward.

• Beans 1

I've been gone from here for pretty much a year now. So glad to see not much changed (pun intended). 

People who complain have a point. The development process has been dead slow for a long time now. It took the game a year to go from 0.5x to 0.6x. Now for what it's worth, DayZ was a blast considering how little I paid for it and how much fun I had with it. Had. Because just like everyone on my steam friends list who played the game with me I gave up. I'm back here after such a long time and I see the same old user names defending the game I saw in 2015 on old forums. In fact the forums changed more than the game. 

The truth is most people had their fill with DayZ and moved on when they realised that they won't see the full release by Christmas 2020.  When you gotta go you gotta go. 

Edited by General Zod
  • Beans 1

27 minutes ago, General Zod said:

I've been gone from here for pretty much a year now. So glad to see not much changed (pun intended). 

People who complain have a point. The development process has been dead slow for a long time now. It took the game a year to go from 0.5x to 0.6x. Now for what it's worth, DayZ was a blast considering how little I paid for the it and how much fun I had with it. Had. Because just like everyone on my steam friends list who played the game with me I gave up. I'm back here after such a long time and I see the same old user names defending the game I saw in 2015 on old forums. In fact the forums changed more than the game. 

The truth is most people had their fill with DayZ and moved on when they realised that they won't see the full release by Christmas 2020.  When you gotta go you gotta go. 

Welcome back, Zod.

After the backlash from the recent status report, the next 6 months need to be fucking magical to regain some of the faith from even the most dedicated players.

If you haven't read the thread, it's a doozy.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Beans 2

57 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Welcome back, Zod.

After the backlash from the recent status report, the next 6 months need to be fucking magical to regain some of the faith from even the most dedicated players.

If you haven't read the thread, it's a doozy.

Oh my, I'm two pages in and it's already a delight. Also glad to be back baby. 

Yup thats the issue. They have already gotten our money, today odds are quite small they will make any noticable amount of cash from new players. DayZ was hot 2012, very few I know today actually play this game or even know about it.
But its just such a shame...DayZ when it was new was no doubt a big thing. Really getting the whole survival game thing going. Had so many fun hours with the DayZ mod and a couple with SA. 
Really thought with all the money they got  they could create something quite epic...Even though stuff has happend. 2018 and its still not done and in some way lacks alot of content even some mods had back in 2013.

This game along with Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft after Wotlk is no doubt the most disappointing games. Don't confuse it with bad games. Just really really dissapointing. But once full game is released and with some creative modders...then who knows. Not willing to completly give up on DayZ yet.