Raible

It's Been 6 Years

On 10/10/2018 at 5:56 PM, EZann said:

Problem is that we heard this for several years now, and most people have a hard time believing it now before they see it, which is understandable I guess...

You never seen a car in DayZ ? ... wow !  I mean, you never seen a car that you could  DRIVE... double wow.

don't worry dude, I ain't never seen a bicycle since the original Mod. ('but that's because they were never in the SA.. right).. you ever seen one ?

Lets change the subject ...   ok ..

.. Hey, did you ever see a TENT ?

6 hours ago, OrLoK said:

It will be finished.

Im sorry, but EA is a long old haul and nothing is guaranteed.

Tester? No not really but obviously we can gather data from the player base.

Supporter? Absolutely. Just as I am.

I've also been here a long while and have put a little bit of effort in to the community over the development. I don't expect anything back. I expect development to be finished when it's finished.

There are other games I've bought in EA and Ive not touched them for years.

As to banning you, if you've had enough, why not go do something else for a bit and come back later?

Getting so angry to wish to be banned seems like cutting of your nose to spite your face.

I am just frustrated and i really had enough of the that type of behavior from CS reps and staff. You shouldnt have been pointed out like that either and that i am sorry for. Running a business is not a Well ill get it done when i get it done attitude.

Maybe because we are from North America we see it as do what you can for customers and treat them with respect is the major difference. I dont know but being middle aged, i do not treat customers like what i have been seeing the staff doing here.

• Beans 1

4 minutes ago, sneakydude said:

I am just frustrated and i really had enough of the that type of behavior from CS reps and staff. You shouldnt have been pointed out like that either and that i am sorry for. Running a business is not a Well ill get it done when i get it done attitude.

Maybe because we are from North America we see it as do what you can for customers and treat them with respect is the major difference. I dont know but being middle aged, i do not treat customers like what i have been seeing the staff doing here.

Exactly, you're frustrated. But whose fault is that?

The warnings on Steam and when you play were there from the start.

I bought into Interstellar Marines ages ago. Its development is now glacial as there's only 1 dev now working on it and some volunteers.

Do I get angry? No. do I get frustrated? No. Am I a bit *sad* that i wasted 20 odd quid (or however much it was)? No, because I *knew* that this was a possibility.

Mildly disappointed? Yes. Angry? No.

As to the N.A. thing, well that's nonsense. We've an International team here, were all pretty much on the same page when it come to dealing with Joe/Jantet Average.

Believe it or not the customer isn't always right.

As to middle age? i'm not far off 50. I don't see things your way.

The devs have communicated what's going on throughout development (at times better than others) but in recent years have given us the Trello, the SR's as well as tweets, friendface etc etc etc.

All the info is there, we know the end of ALPHA is in sight.

Just hold on a little longer, in the next few months the "content" patch will hit.

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, OrLoK said:

You can't dismiss sneakydude like he's one of those customers. I don't follow the numbers of disgruntled players, many of them once-hardcore-fans, I don't read the consistently abysmal Steam reviews. All I need as a proof is the current state of this forum - 2 new 'this project is a joke' threads per week and an occasional "Is X in game yet? Oh, it's not, ok".

I have two ways to demonstrate easily that trust was indeed abused:

1) First - and I need you to be honest with yourself - close your eyes and imagine that you time travel to the moment when DayZ EA launch promo content was being prepared, in 2012 or 2013. Would you really - and I mean really? - disclose to the public the real, actual timeline of all that so far has happened? That in mid-2018, many features will be still in the 'we're working on it' stage? And the most recent additions are limping and hiking trails? That whatever makes people drool - base building, aircraft or complex survivalist content - is nowhere in sight in 2018?

Just a thing to consider, we don't need to discuss what you actually would or wouldn't do. And how many customers would have been left. But remember that there's something suspicious in finding 3 million buyers and then claiming that you specifically advised them not to do exactly what they did, so their frustrations are completely on them.

2) Another example of how I trust official statements: somewhere in early 2018 - maybe March - I read a statement from the staff that 'by the end of of this year, we'll release beta and likely 1.0, too' (I'm really hazy about the wording). And for a split second I didn't believe that 1.0 part. In fact, my first thoughts were 'Beta? Maybe, but likely with some huge issues (like crashing servers). Final release? Only a complete retard would take that at face value'. Lo and behold, we sure gonna get beta... but without not only aircraft, but fishing. And the list of features pushed for post 1.0 just keeps getting longer.

Beta was 'just around the corner' in August 2017. Yes, I feel like I was lied to. We've been hearing that 'expect a shower of features any time now' line for over a year.

Edited by Kirov (DayZ)
  • Beans 3

I didnt dismiss anyone :)

If I had, I wouldnt have written a long reply.

@pilgrim*  

Dayz II: Alpha Strikes Back
DayZ III: Return of the Disclaimer
DayZ Prequel:  The Phantom Engine
DayZ Prequel II:  Attack of the Bugs
DayZ Prequel III:  Revenge of the Mods
DayZ IV:  The CLE Awakens
DayZ V:  The Last Cherno Revamp

DayZ Standalone Games
The Bicycle Wars
Loot Won: A DayZ Story
Wobo: A DayZ Story.

Well that sure was fun.

When should I expect to get a meat slicer, a mill, an oven, and a cheese press so i can open my damned sandwich shop?
And while they are at it, why not add a campaign mode with achievements?  I'd love to see an outbreak scenario with scripted events and tons of NPCs to rescue.  Maybe submarines too, why not??

This thread makes me laugh.  After hundreds of miles of "are we there yet" people start flogging the bus driver after the sign indicating last exit is near.  I've been enjoying grinding No Man's Sky while waiting for tents and barrels to come back.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, OrLoK said:

I bought into Interstellar Marines ages ago. Its development is now glacial as there's only 1 dev now working on it and some volunteers.

Do I get angry? No. do I get frustrated? No. Am I a bit *sad* that i wasted 20 odd quid (or however much it was)? No, because I *knew* that this was a possibility.

As to the N.A. thing, well that's nonsense. We've an International team here, were all pretty much on the same page when it come to dealing with Joe/Jantet Average.

The devs have communicated what's going on throughout development (at times better than others) but in recent years have given us the Trello, the SR's as well as tweets, friendface etc etc etc.

Just hold on a little longer, in the next few months the "content" patch will hit.

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil?

10 hours ago, emuthreat said:

@pilgrim* 

Well that sure was fun.

Hope, you GOT the point about the Business Model ... ,sure  seems like you didn't.

I worked for a privately owned Games Company (well known in it's day) and watched it being ground down by the business plans of  large corporations (they bought it's talent, they invested in loss-leaders the PLC could not afford, throw-away games, a swamp of advertising,  they "stole" ideas, all legal textbook,  recognized tactics). . I could list all the Games companies that did NOT make it.. famous every one of them, now gone and .. just gone. full stop.
Bohemia is fighting for it's life right now - it's not just "another day at the office" .

- f you don't have any ideal of what's happening, look at the games BI is working on,  look at the modding release, look at Xbox and Playstation, look at the overhaul of their core software. Ask "why all these things at once" ?

Hope you can READ what is written in front of you on their own sites ... (it's writ between every line, dude - why cut your own throat when you have a fight on?).    I have BEEN in the board meetings when a private company decides  what direction to take, how to DEAL with the threat and FIGHT BACK, because (you may laugh) it's Stalin and Hitler aiming to out-think each other over <What to do about Stalingrad>. 
Private company means limited money, your money, and running costs are high.  My last boss - after a LONG fight - closed down his studio, took his (good) pension, and kept his house.  

OK, Bohemia have SET their policy and made their move.  We know plenty foot soldiers are going to die, for sure.  Anyone who works/worked in the games industry can SEE what that move is  (and I don't mean home modders or hot gaming fans, I mean <<Business Model / Direction /Finance / Target / Strategy>>.  =  Either their strategy will work, or not.    

if not, then sure, fly around No Man's Sky - I had fun with it for 3 whole weeks - enjoy! -  by next year you may not have a DayZ SA on your PC (or maybe not anywhere) to come back to.

xxP

5 hours ago, Lexman61 said:

nope, just facts and logic and realistic reasoning.

I'm not blind to the "failings" of the devs,  direction decisions etc .

(or myself for that matter.

we have a good oversight system in place to ensure we stay sane and in line.

I'm sure I've made mistakes along the way, but everyone gets a chance or two)

Indeed, I've been very critical of some dev decision/actions myself but I've kept my critique *constructive* and not let it get to me personally nor get personal towards them.

on the whole development has and is going well.

A hiccup here, a change these, a delay here, its all normal in many creative large scale projects.

to take Elu's analogy, we're coming up to the service station after a huge 4800mile (not 6000) ride through a desert which has had one or two good stops, but now you're thirsty and hungry again, perhaps a bit grumpy from fatigue.

As we draw up to a junction, do you:

a)jump out and say "ive had enough! im walking home!" and trudge back in the blazing sun?

b)stay seated in the now smoothly running bus which has a clunky armrest and the communal loo doesn't always flush first time and carry on to the destination you know is *just* over the horizon?

me? I'm gonna be like Priscilla and stay on that bus and continue fabulously onward.

ok, my analogy might not be perfect but like it or not the game is almost here.

Just like Arma on release, not jam packed with every conceivable desire but a full, playable game and a solid foundation for the modders who can tweak it to taste.

bar an "act of god" it's all gonna be fine.

Will it please everyone? nope.

Will it please most folk? most probably.

just like any game.

• Beans 2

Your bus is driving with 5 mile ph and the driver has to stopp all 5 minutes to fix the engine or change a wheel...

It took them nearly a year to release 0.63 ( to experimental) after showing it during Gamescon last year. Since then (4 months) we've got one larger update that needed endless stresstests before it could be relased...to experimental of course. A content patch that was not even that big and brought us first implemantations of different mechanics ( deseases, jumping) and two weapons that were in 2013....

AI spawns on servers with offline DB

This is probably one of the last bugs we want to solve on the current Experimental branch. The rest will be fixed within the Experimental BETA update.

from Status Report 25.09

.....has it been fixed..??

Priority Issues

For one, hit registration has been quite a problem recently, and I want to talk about what we know so far. While for most you, it seems like your bullets are not registering when hitting players around you, there might be (and probably are) multiple causes to this behavior.

from Status Report 09.10

... so this a new bug ??

We've recently had our first multiplayer playtest of vehicles on the new implementation and the first results are promising. Once we have more to share about the patch, we will do so, both here and other channels. But the current state leaves us with two major, risky features in terms of overall update stability: vehicles and base building.

from Status report 09.10

...so more bugs ??

Other than that, we are preparing a patch for the PC Experimental branch, ideally containing the fixes to the hit registration issue, as well as other smaller changes based on your feedback. From log upgrades to the ability to set a Steam query port for ease of DDOS setup when hosting a server, and some more.

...Juhuu looking forward for the new patch...( maybe put the SkS in as a small present ....hmmm ok now I am getting greedy)

10 weeks to go until Christmas....

8 hours ago, Lexman61 said:

Don't know why everyone's knocking OrLoK - he's a MODERATOR for jeez sake, he MODERATES..  In the last few years there are moderators (no names - but I remember one or two) who would have binned the thread already; no hesitation, no talk-back,  a LOT tougher and less tolerant than OrLoK. There were times when some subjects couldn't even be mentioned  if  Moderator xxx was around.  Folk got banned for being to pointed or too direct. Not often - but it happened...  and here's OrLoK who just stays calm and MODERATES..
Do you imagine he's making a living doing this? 
He aint no Hitman, he's not the Official Torturer or the Anointed Party Mouthpiece.   Get off his case a little - you've never even ever see the horse get mad.

• Thanks 2
  • Beans 1

Everybody has had a chance to get out all their Salt. Soma body a locka dis toxic pile. 

Lets back a little on topic (?)

As wonderful as I am, its not all about me.

• Haha 1
  • Beans 5

Agreed...the new Kingdome Come Deliverance DLC is coming out  in a few days anyway...so enough to do :)

some would say....spending some more time in Bohemia  without cars and zombies...

hahaha sorry could not resist

cheers :) 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Hope, you GOT the point about the Business Model ... ,sure  seems like you didn't.

From what I've seen, they are sticking to their guns with making the new engine as functional as possible while trying to get full parity to the older versions of the game in addition to adding some new mechanics.

Alongside this they have put out Ylands to tap into a new market, Vigor to give the people a shoot and loot title without zombies, and have continued iteration of the ARMA franchise.  So yeah, I understand they are doing more things at once than thy have in the past, and some folks are upset about this, given the protracted DayZ development.
I don't really think this harms DayZ production in any significant way.  I figure all the heavy lifting has been pretty well completed in terms of making the new tech; now they are just focused on making it work.

TBH, I can't really be bothered to care if we see Beta before 2019.  It'll be done when it's done.  And I'm fairly confident BI will keep making new and interesting stuff; stuff that companies with the prevailing business model won't attempt due to risk or not fitting perfectly into their profit generation rubric.

20 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

Alongside this they have put out Ylands to tap into a new market, Vigor to give the people a shoot and loot title without zombies, and have continued iteration of the ARMA franchise.  So yeah, I understand they are doing more things at once than thy have in the past, and some folks are upset about this, given the protracted DayZ development.
I don't really think this harms DayZ production in any significant way.

I did not buy dayz for the new engine to save BI... if i had known this ahead of time, i would have not followed dayz or arma. Sure 20 dollars or whatever we paid it money already well spent in some peoples minds, but ill be frank it only has been a buggy walking simulator with guns for me... and eating, drinking like a cow.

But that's why i am so frustrated that this is not any where near release.

Real beta will not be until 2019 or 2020, if that with the amount of netcoding rehash issues dayz has. Having 30-40 players in one space fighting it out will kill the server. Infected? where because you cant have that, loot and expect the server to not bottleneck.

Arma 2/3 days? all over.

This is my frustration with this project, and mine alone.

Ill let the rest go and move on, because i am that frustrated with the game. Hope it makes it to a final product.

If i am wrong i am wrong no harm done but i doubt i am alone feeling this way.

• Beans 1

I don't think any of us expected the need for a new engine.  But I honestly believe that it was both unforeseen (unforseeable?) and unavoidable.  No use crying over spilled milk.

As I've said before, I bought in in early 2015, expecting the game to be about halfway finished.  Figured I could get a head start and hit the ground running by the time it hit the market in earnest.  Never expected to be nearly burnt out on it before it even hit Beta.

Open world games are hard to make, apparently...

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 9:32 AM, OrLoK said:

You can't really accuse Sneakydude of not understanding the EA process and that comment from you is pretty patronizing and unnecessary. Hell I've hardly agreed with him in the past but you can't fault his commitment to this game. 

2 hours ago, emuthreat said:

I don't think any of us expected the need for a new engine.  But I honestly believe that it was both unforeseen (unforseeable?) and unavoidable.  No use crying over spilled milk.

As I've said before, I bought in in early 2015, expecting the game to be about halfway finished.  Figured I could get a head start and hit the ground running by the time it hit the market in earnest.  Never expected to be nearly burnt out on it before it even hit Beta.

Open world games are hard to make, apparently...

See i dont know about that because i see a game called Ring Of Elysium fps and looting seems to run pretty good already with 60 players all shooting it up with vehicles. COD has 100 approx and runs pretty solid too with looting.

I also see a MMO being developed on Unity with 1000s connecting zones though.

I am apart of many kickstarter, and pre alphas/alpha/beta/release they run rather well with fixes going into desync as fast as possible.

I have also been doing this since the 80s but not once have i ever seen what dayz has done. Like i said my opinions of the whole project.

Will i continue funding EA projects and Kickstarter stuff? i dont think so after this year. I am not too happy with all the EA complexity going out there.

Id rather invest and be paid for Pre Alpha now.  Like we used to in the old days. Plus everything gets shut down to closed forums. I think those days are well past though, with the lack of publishers funding projects.

Still here is hoping dayz makes it to the end and outdoes all the products on the market.

2 hours ago, forteantimes23 said:

You can't really accuse Sneakydude of not understanding the EA process and that comment from you is pretty patronizing and unnecessary. Hell I've hardly agreed with him in the past but you can't fault his commitment to this game. 

Yeah i am just an old cranky fart at times, i sometimes dont read what people say, difference of opinions or difference of cultures. I do still hold in there hoping dayz makes it to the end, release.

I just dont understand the business model of BI over the last few years. Its just me though.

21 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Don't know why everyone's knocking OrLoK - he's a MODERATOR for jeez sake, he MODERATES..  In the last few years there are moderators (no names - but I remember one or two) who would have binned the thread already; no hesitation, no talk-back,  a LOT tougher and less tolerant than OrLoK. There were times when some subjects couldn't even be mentioned  if  Moderator xxx was around.  Folk got banned for being to pointed or too direct. Not often - but it happened...  and here's OrLoK who just stays calm and MODERATES..
Do you imagine he's making a living doing this? 
He aint no Hitman, he's not the Official Torturer or the Anointed Party Mouthpiece.   Get off his case a little - you've never even ever see the horse get mad.

The main task of a moderator is to preside over these forum discussions making sure people use a civilized tone and stay on topic. He can of course also take part in the debates and express his personal opinion but, if he does,  he is liable to be criticized and disagreed with (not offended), just like anybody else. 

The negative examples of moderators you quote were people who completely misunderstood and abused their position. Behaving not as moderators, but as censors which is obviously something completely different.

Edited by Lexman61

On 10/11/2018 at 7:00 PM, pilgrim* said:

WHY does anyone want this game FINISHED?

"finished" means "the end".

No it doesn't, and that's not what people mean.

You're picking apart a strawman and achieving nothing. You even kick it over right after you've created it by acknowledging that "finished" isn't the end.

Edit: Gah, foiled again by the notification taking me to the last reply of a page.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

So it is eithers devs are finished or the game lol wut

Whats up about vigor, xbox releases like for real, the world is like moving forward. 

By the way, I wonder which will be developed first, helis or bikes and bicycles. 

But seriously the wait is a bit stretched out too much by now, but less than two months are left, right ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

No it doesn't, and that's not what people mean.

You're picking apart a strawman and achieving nothing. You even kick it over right after you've created it by acknowledging that "finished" isn't the end.

Edit: Gah, foiled again by the notification taking me to the last reply of a page.

Now that the server files have been released, and DayZ PC mods can be created :

Do you expect that BI will release the further (final) iteration of DayZ SA for PC and then stop work on it ?

So that after the "final iteration" no technical staff will be employed on DayZ SA for PC, and BI will have no further interest in it's development ?

Do you expect that the BI public hive will remain dedicated to DayZ SA on PC for long after this termination ?

- thank you in advance, for your thoughts on this.

xxP

1 hour ago, pilgrim* said:

Now that the server files have been released, and DayZ PC mods can be created :

Do you expect that BI will release the further (final) iteration of DayZ SA for PC and then stop work on it ?

So that after the "final iteration" no technical staff will be employed on DayZ SA for PC, and BI will have no further interest in it's development ?

Do you expect that the BI public hive will remain dedicated to DayZ SA on PC for long after this termination ?

- thank you in advance, for your thoughts on this.

xxP

Still the same strawman argument. Nobody is asking for "final version with no further updates." You're being incredibly disingenuous.

• Beans 1