Raible

It's Been 6 Years

23 minutes ago, Private Evans said:

I even think it is the perfect time for exactly this thread again...reviews and critiques are mostly negativ, most players lost interest and moved on to play other games, youtube presence would be dead without X Box content at least compared to the old times...player base is absolutely low even during weekends...and honestly  0.63 ist boring, unpolished, unballanced and buggy as hell for a game that should reach beta and 1.0 within the next 3 months after being developed for 6 years...this is simply a fact. Compared to Arma 3 it even looks cartoonish and not that realistic ( console graphics).

...even BI fanboys and Arma/DayZ veterans like me are disappointed and pissed...so threads like this are not written anymore by trolls and bullies but by real fans of the game !

You see, Evens, this is why I enjoy your thoughts on many topics. As where OP may have not made his intent clear, you, in most ever post I have seen have clear and pointed comments on the topic at hand, not generalizations. I have to agree with your assessment, because I have been taking a rather long break from SA myself, not wanting to get burnt out on small patches. I would love to see the game return it it's fame of Mod days and hope to see it before, as you have accurately said, the base moves on. Maybe because my age has taught me patience or I cling to fond memories, hoping to experience and share them again, I will stay the course, and hope others do as well.

P.S.: I do plan on getting my feet wet in SA, soon...............................

• Beans 1

6 minutes ago, TheCreeper (DayZ) said:

P.S.: I do plan on getting my feet wet in SA, soon...............................

Some of us have almost never missed a patch, have given feedback in every build thread, read every status report.

People who complain but do not contribute have less validity in my opinion.

If you want the standalone to progress, test the builds, post the bugs, and give feedback. Whining does nothing but contribute to the negative echo chamber around the SA.

I watched all of you leave when things were slow or infected were taken out. Meanwhile I suffered in an empty game with no zombies while these "fans" took the easy way out and just left having contributed very little, posting angry entitled complaints on reddit or steam reviews.

So many passionate contributors with so little understanding of the process just burnt out and tapped out.

The new players who cry for more updates and think the bugs we have now are bad, have no clue what we've dealt with in recent years.

If you stopped reading status reports and stopped testing builds, you will absolutely lack perspective on the progress and direction of the SA.

Good thing come to those who wait.

Frustration is the only reward for those who cannot.

• Like 1
  • Beans 8

8 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Some of us have almost never missed a patch, have given feedback in every build thread, read every status report.

People who complain but do not contribute have less validity in my opinion.

If you want the standalone to progress, test the builds, post the bugs, and give feedback. Whining does nothing but contribute to the negative echo chamber around the SA.

I watched all of you leave when things were slow or infected were taken out. Meanwhile I suffered in an empty game with no zombies while these "fans" took the easy way out and just left having contributed very little, posting angry entitled complaints on reddit or steam reviews.

So many passionate contributors with so little understanding of the process just burnt out and tapped out.

The new players who cry for more updates and think the bugs we have now are bad, have no clue what we've dealt with in recent years.

If you stopped reading status reports and stopped testing builds, you will absolutely lack perspective on the progress and direction of the SA.

Good thing come to those who wait.

Frustration is the only reward for those who cannot.

I fully agree with this. It even shows with those "oldschool know-it-all players" like Private Evans. Let me quote his post:

1 hour ago, Private Evans said:

I even think it is the perfect time for exactly this thread again...reviews and critiques are mostly negativ, most players lost interest and moved on to play other games, youtube presence would be dead without X Box content at least compared to the old times...player base is absolutely low even during weekends...and honestly  0.63 ist boring, unpolished, unballanced and buggy as hell for a game that should reach beta and 1.0 within the next 3 months after being developed for 6 years...this is simply a fact. Compared to Arma 3 it even looks cartoonish and not that realistic ( console graphics).

0.63 is:

- boring; I'll give you that, not all the features of 0.62 are in the game currently but they are working on it and most of it should be ready before 2019. It's a statement they made and would be a death sentence if they didn't deliver.
- unpolished; have you actually played 0.63? Compared to DayZ 0.59, the game runs so much better. The game has improved in FPS and not only that, the game even looks better while still having more FPS than before. This argument is total bullshit and anyone who has played 0.63 knows that.
- unbalanced; unbalanced how? There are so many things which can make/makes a game balanced or unbalanced, be more specific.
- buggy as hell; does it have bugs? Yes. Is it buggy as hell? Most certainly not. Plus, a game in development has bugs, it's not perfect. Hell, even fully released games still have bugs.

What is the conclusion of this? You're just spewing bullshit. If you had any valid an good arguments, I would agree with you. But you're just using the same old arguments which we've seen come by a million times by now and some which are even not relevant anymore. People nowadays feel so entitled. You see it with every game. People even feel the need to shit on the developers when they haven't even received money from customers and delay something, like the case with Ready Or Not. People need to get off their high horse and stop spewing bullshit, negativity, etc. If you don't like the state of the game, go play something else and wait, come back when the game is fully released. If by then the game isn't what it's supposed to be, you have a right to shit on the developers and the game.

• Beans 5

Well let's look at it this way...players that were willing to suffer and participate like Biohaze stated will of course be happy about every small step forward (same goes for the devs). 10 zombies are of course  much better than 0 and  getting the Mosin and the M4 back is also much better than running around with a hunting rifle only etc, but this is not how it works for everyone. As I said before I gave the game a fair go over a few days and even retried it a few days ago together with my son when he was visiting me....honestly I was shocked by the current state of the game and I am sure nearly everybody coming back and testing 0.63 after a longer break will feel the same.

Would probably feel different if I would have played and tested it constantly over all the years.....

So for some of you it was " yeah the Mosin and scopes"  hurray...for me it was " wtf this has been in since 2013" ...also 60 FPS and decent graphics are no reason to party wild  in 2018...

maybe some of you get the point :)

cheers

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, Private Evans said:

cheers

I believe I get the point, but I also believe what you're likely missing most is content that's really quite close to being implemented.

Though things look bare bones now, once the rest of modules are smooshed in, content will likely be dropping much faster, and then optimization passes will commence.

I've always been critical of the devs when warranted and the 7 month gap without an update that we only quite recently came out of is very poor form to say the least.

If you need all the status effects, items, and vehicles, it's going to be at least 2+ more months, and that's very optimistically speaking.

With the recent bugs taking so long to fix, I see them falling short of currently promised features but pushing something they call 1.0 before 1/1/2019.

The current lull in patches, while not unusual for DayZ dev, is definitely disconcerting when you consider their own current deadlines.

I have seen a lot of things re-worked by the devs, and re-done as well. Having to go over or fix old work that crippled your project shows some major weaknesses in their approach to building their own engine.

People want to call me a white knight or fanboy, but I'm just patient and passionate and (mostly) pragmatic about my feelings around a game. I have enough faith in the vision, and faith in the modding community, to know that I will get a version of DayZ I enjoy for years.

But holy shit, that 7 month drought was an intensely brutal test of that faith....

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

On 10/7/2018 at 8:57 PM, Raptor97 said:

How on earth is December 2013 to now six years?

Come back when you can manage some simple maths boy.

there are 10 kinds of geek-freaks - the ones who think in binary and the one's who don't

On 08/10/2018 at 3:10 PM, Private Evans said:

...even BI fanboys and Arma/DayZ veterans like me are disappointed and pissed...so threads like this are not written anymore by trolls and bullies but by real fans of the game !

I agree such threads are legit, and I agree that there are too many of them, too.

But the onus is on the devs here. Can we make some sort of a road map, not to the BETA of course, but to any type of content worth discussing in a factual manner? Because without it, this forum is starting to look more and more like a board for teenage girls with anorexia, with each member constantly yelling and hissing at each other over which one is totally the worst fat bitch.

No no, don't give me base building or advanced animal tracking system - hold your horses there, it's done when it's done. Just throw me a bone, start with something small (fish traps?). I check up this forum every now and then for new content, and again and again I find myself on a "Lord of the Flies' island.

Edited by Kirov (DayZ)
typos

Devs must be close to something by now. Server files release is already something big IMO Playing in 100 player servers, and different modes and configurations is already pretty great sign of game switching from "leave me alone" to "lets have some good time". And it works rather well as far as I can tell.

Vehicles, basebuilding and massive optimisations were mentioned on the high note in last RP, so lets see... And then hopefully modding is also not too far. 

On 10/8/2018 at 1:55 PM, Private Evans said:

Well let's look at it this way...players that were willing to suffer and participate like Biohaze stated will of course be happy about every small step forward (same goes for the devs). 10 zombies are of course  much better than 0 and  getting the Mosin and the M4 back is also much better than running around with a hunting rifle only etc, but this is not how it works for everyone. As I said before I gave the game a fair go over a few days and even retried it a few days ago together with my son when he was visiting me....honestly I was shocked by the current state of the game and I am sure nearly everybody coming back and testing 0.63 after a longer break will feel the same.

Would probably feel different if I would have played and tested it constantly over all the years.....

So for some of you it was " yeah the Mosin and scopes"  hurray...for me it was " wtf this has been in since 2013" ...also 60 FPS and decent graphics are no reason to party wild  in 2018...

cheers

Ya dont be jumping on that bandwagon, ill warn you now you wont be happy.

12 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

I agree such threads are legit, and I agree that there are too many of them, too.

But the onus is on the devs here. Can we make some sort of a road map, not to the BETA of course, but to any type of content worth discussing in a factual manner? Because without it, this forum is starting to look back more and more like a board for teenage girls with anorexia, which each member constantly yelling and hissing at each other over which one is totally the worst fat bitch.

No no, don't give me base building or advanced animal tracking system - hold your horses there, it's done when it's done. Just throw me a bone, start with something small (fish traps?). I check up this forum every now and then for new content, and again and again I find myself on a "Lord of the Flies' island.

Yup, i agree too, no info is a good indication of being stale again like in the past. Keep on it guys.

On 10/6/2018 at 10:00 PM, Raible said:

Six years since Dean told us he just needed $15 and three months to fix some net code.

Anyone else remember that?  When we just wanted a stand-alone mod of Arma2?  Dean promised us that.  He said he was going to take it to Steam and charge us $15.  All he wanted to do was to fix the net code and he promised us he wouldn't charge us any more than $15.

Yeah, it's 6 years and $30 later and we still have a game in early access.

Remember the beta plan they put out in 2015?

Remember this time last year when beta was going to be by end of 2017?

Are things better than they were in 2013?  Yeah!  Great!  Not my point.  So glad we're developing tech for Arma IV.  

I played the mod.  I paid my $30 on day one.  I'm not a hater.  I'm just getting a little tired.

I remember. I like your join date by the way.

• Beans 1

On 10/8/2018 at 9:35 PM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I believe I get the point, but I also believe what you're likely missing most is content that's really quite close to being implemented.

Though things look bare bones now, once the rest of modules are smooshed in, content will likely be dropping much faster, and then optimization passes will commen

Problem is that we heard this for several years now, and most people have a hard time believing it now before they see it, which is understandable I guess...

• Beans 1

14 minutes ago, EZann said:

Problem is that we heard this for several years now, and most people have a hard time believing it now before they see it, which is understandable I guess...

Totally understandable!

But it's actually happening now.

If it weren't for some serious game breaking bugs that are taking a very long time to fix, I believe we would have seen quite a bit more content and features in the last month.

If I'm not mistaken, the latest status report said that the next stress tests should have vehicles.

59 minutes ago, EZann said:

I like to think that when Dayz hardcore fans eat out and don't get their food served, they don't just leave an angry 1-star Yelp review. Instead, they ask the staff and find out that the oven was down, and then proceed to enrol to a 3-year weekend course in heating device installation and HVAC maintenance. And all that time, they seem bewildered at those 1-star reviews. "You're mad just because they don't serve any food?? Do you even have a degree in metalwork and catering?? Do you even work at that restaurant??" etc. etc.

And look, the OP is off by 1 year, hur hur. That surely means we can dismiss everything he said.

Early Access games are not for everyone which is why we actively warn folk and even advise them NOT to buy the game regularly.

it's for supporters not for casual players imho.

Edited by OrLoK
  • Like 1
  • Beans 3

On 06/10/2018 at 11:52 PM, TheCreeper (DayZ) said:

Oh, this thread again..............................

His voice is just as important as anyone else's. He has a right to say this. To say this is all fine and normal is just being a fanboy. I'm forgiving with the time frame and failure to deliver on promises because i know they are working hard and will get it done. But thats a personal reflection on events. Hes intitled to be bummed out. 

Edited by Baker.

How fucking long do you plan on waiting for some basic animations and god damned scripting any modder could do? I agree, something has been very wrong. What i don't know is how much the Ukrainian civil war or whatever that was effected this, which i have complete sympathy for. But if it didn't then the ball was just dropped by the dev team, period. "Yes more features have been added", but how many have been taken out? Overall im not sure that this effort hasn't been an over-all bad thing for DayZ. I just still can't believe they didn't add another map, it just boggles my mind. Isn't that exactly what people wanted? They rearranged Chernarus for fucks sake. Why? It all looks the same anyway.

Now i hear the most immersion killing thing about DayZ -people on the mic (kids 90% of the time), were just given a FUCKING megaphone? What, so the .001% of players who roleplay a survival experience can have an experience where they "luckily" contact some other survivors? 99% of the time people are going to be making dumb noises and shit talking in it in PVP areas. Think about that. Somebody developing YOUR game, that YOU paid for, decided to put that in the game instead of the millions of other things people have been asking for since day one. How about some wrecked Mig 29s half buried in the ground and other Russian military vehicles in the same state of decay. How about some ivy or other plants making their way up store front walls and such? Some underground section hidden away from players. A big cityscape? Does the game even look better now or is it just the colors being changed?

Instead they want you to re-explore areas you already explored like NWAF. Behold the slightly different arrangement of buildings! That should have been on a new map. OLD NWAF WAS ALREADY A COOL AND INTERESTING PLACE THAT LOOKED LIKE A REAL WORLD PLACE!!! They took it out! Why? New NWAF lost any steam it had by being in exactly the same place old NWAF was. Imagine seeing new-NWAF on another completely new map next to a huge mountain or something. That time and effort could have been put there instead but it wasn't. They need new leadership i think. All your money just went into mortgages and vacations and other people's kid's college funds and a new venture called DayZ Xbox version.

Guys, i've learned something at my older age, when watching game demo and previews and in cases like this, when dev's mess up something very basic, they aren't likely going to get the more complex things right either. (by "messing up" don't necessarily mean getting wrong, but refer to things differing greatly from what you wanted). Its just not likely. Sure its possible there is some master plan that will work out in the end, but this isn't looking good to me. Not unless their master plan is to have the modders make everything cool, then it may work but modders will have to be there.

Edited by libertine
  • Thanks 3

On 10/7/2018 at 2:57 PM, Raptor97 said:

How on earth is December 2013 to now six years?

Come back when you can manage some simple maths boy.

I'd be happy to exchange math credentials with you.  I'm fairly comfortable my "maths" is solid.

Anyway.  I guess I didn't state the timeline clear enough.  It was the fall of '12 when Dean took the mod off-line and said he was going to use Steam Early Access to fix it.  I mean, I could attach some calculators for this and stuff but I am pretty sure fall of '12 was six years ago. 

So, fall of '12 Dean said he was going to fix this and give it to us by "End of Year" (2012) and well I've already said everything else.  In Dec '13 I was paying $30 for Early Access and here I am in fall of '18 with promises of MAYBE beta before end of this year.  Guess we shall see.

Oh, and I read the Dev Report every single time they release every two weeks.  Glad to see they are working on real issues like what night time looks like!!!!

Edited by Raible
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

7 hours ago, OrLoK said:

Early Access games are not for everyone which is why we actively warn folk and even advise them NOT to buy the game regularly.

Dude, this is absolute BS.  I've been around the block before and I've heard all the standard "fanboi" crap before.  "Hey, this is a TRIPLE AAA GAME AND IT TAKES 5 YEARS!!!".  Apparently, you're in the excuses business so you know what I mean.

There are two games right now that define the entire business model.

1 - Kickstarters - Star Citizen. Holy Shit, guess what?  I'm an original KS for this one too!!  Whole other topic.  Let's not get distracted.

2 - Early Access - DAYZ.  Holds the record.  I might be wrong.....Google me here but I think I'm right...The longest game ever to be in EARLY ACCESS.

I said in my original post I paid my Early Access $30 ON DAY ONE.  So I'm a supporter, apparently one you warn against even buying this game.  I guess because I funded Bohemia on day one I'm just a worthless casual player?  I'm just confused.   Should I not have bought this game?  Am I not a supporter and by your statement shouldn't have even bought this game?  You're kinda pissing me off here.  So, I'm a nobody who knows nothing and I shouldn't have even bought the game?

You have a really fancy title as "DAYZ FORUM TEAM" so please do explain.

Edited by Raible
  • Confused 1

I don't have a problem with the $30.00. I more than got my money's worth. BUT, if i instead stayed with DayZmod, i could have gone to Arma 3's DayZ which looks great and i could have helped populate other servers like that instead of DayzSA's servers and other's would have too, helping to further efforts other than SA.

Side comment: Anyone that expects Star Citizen to be done and polished before 2022, with the scope of detail that they're going for, is crazy IMO. Unless you wanted meaningless procedural detail. Otherwise all that hand crafting is going to just take a long time...

S

12 hours ago, OrLoK said:

Selling more than 3 million copies during the first 18 months by, amongst other things, making false promises more than once and then telling us after 6 years without nearly none (playable) progress until today that you've warned us, is a fucking joke .  

However there is not much left to say for a casual player like me that only supported and backed games from early on like Arma3, Take on Mars, Kingdome Come  Deliverance, Star Citizen, Hell Let Loose, Squad, The Long Dark and a lot more....

I really hope Biohaze is right and it is just a bit more of bugfixing before they begin to pump out all the stuff that has been finished and  sits on their devbuild ready to be unleashed....

would not bet on it though...

16 hours ago, OrLoK said:

You better take that back Orlok... or you will have to ban my account.

I am dead serious, because i was a tester to move this game to finish. We did not buy this game and follow it since 2012 to not have it finished.

So please do not post shit about " Do not buy this game ever" dayz was not a game to be not completed ever!!! and this is why am really pissed with hicks and your comments about it.

We dont need your money he says.

Slap another long term tester in the face?

• Confused 1
  • Beans 1

As far as I understand it is meant that you shouldn't buy the game when it is uninteresting and cheap, but you should when it is guarantee entertaining and expensive :D Unless you are really mad about it. 

I suppose early access is successful when certain amount of people buy the product to support it, but it is not successful if lets suppose most buys it in EA, and then only minority after it is finished. But I suppose in practice it is not an issue. Anyway... the art has to be sell enough but not too much in EA, and then increase attraction as price will get risen. 

Edited by Mantasisg

4 hours ago, sneakydude said:

You better take that back Orlok... or you will have to ban my account.

I am dead serious, because i was a tester to move this game to finish. We did not buy this game and follow it since 2012 to not have it finished.

So please do not post shit about " Do not buy this game ever" dayz was not a game to be not completed ever!!! and this is why am really pissed with hicks and your comments about it.

We dont need your money he says.

Slap another long term tester in the face?

It will be finished.

Im sorry, but EA is a long old haul and nothing is guaranteed.

Tester? No not really but obviously we can gather data from the player base.

Supporter? Absolutely. Just as I am.

I've also been here a long while and have put a little bit of effort in to the community over the development. I don't expect anything back. I expect development to be finished when it's finished.

There are other games I've bought in EA and Ive not touched them for years.

As to banning you, if you've had enough, why not go do something else for a bit and come back later?

Getting so angry to wish to be banned seems like cutting of your nose to spite your face.

• Beans 3

6 hours ago, sneakydude said:

..//..

..//..

I may be old and slow and daft (I used to be young and quick and stupid) - but there is STILL ONE THING I do not understand.

My god I've tried to understand, but I just don't get it.. and I'll tell you what it is, so then perhaps someone can HELP me UNDERSTAND the answer... thanx (in advance)

The question is this :

WHY does anyone want this game FINISHED?

"finished" means "the end".

But BI go on adding to their games, and tinkering with them, and sometimes making big changes, and sometimes trying stuff out .. just the way a Modder would get bored with his mod after a few months and add better stuff and take away other stuff, and make something new, and change the scenery and the mechanics, make something part more difficult; or easier.. that's is the BI style.. they never say <<When the Game is Finished we will Turn Our Backs on it,>> << and then the players can take it or leave it because NOTHING will EVER change Again. Got it?>>

They DON'T do that - look at their track record. They have their own style and their own attitude - and Personally I LIKE IT THAT WAY.

If we ever get to the END of DayZ - when they put out the <<Definitive Boxed Set>>  "Collectors Edition Gold" - and say "END OF STORY - no more changes EVER. Goodbye fans". 

that will be a Bloody Sad Day.

People will play for a few months or a year after,  and nothing will change and they will get bored and move on. That's the standard rule with Games Designers. Make one GTA Game..give it a 3 year lifetime with DLCs and Add-On Packs. Then announce GTA 2.. etc.. then announce GTA 3.. etc.. then announce GTA 4 ... ya know.  

THAT brings the $-Kublars-$ rolling in.. your company has sold 4 games PLUS DLCs and Addins in the time BI is still working on the one same game, because that's WHAT BI do.. And as long as they can stay afloat with that marketing  model that's GREAT with me. 

Do you think there are still designers and programmers working on GTA 1 or GTA 2 right NOW?  .... < I call Total Bullcr@p on that>   Of course not. GTA 2 is mummified like it's inside a million year old pyramid - it WONT change ever. 
Nobody is working on ANYTHING EXCEPT the Next GTA... you know it, I know it, the Banks know it.. everyone SEES where the Money Tree is...

So there's my question :

- WHY do you want DayZ to END. When it never changes anymore, and no one at BI is interested in it, then they can ALL work on a NEW game, and leave DayZ to rot away,  you can uninstall it, dump it., forget it.
That's the NORMAL way to treat games.. RIGHT ??  Why do you WANT that. I don't get it.  

So (being old and slow and ga-ga) I wonder WHY you are so KEEN to reach the ABSOLUTE END of DayZ ..   Are you a fan of STASIS FOREVER.  A kind of "fire and forget" DayZ.. "ok it works.. now move on to the next game" ?

So you can stop playing? So BI can stop ALWAYS working FREE of CHARGE on new variations and player ideas, and neat little changes, new kit, and tryouts and additions, (really as if they ENJOY doing it)  and instead the whole staff can just Name this version  DayZ Official Full Version. and DROP IT completely (they've already been PAID for. it, for jeez sake, so why not?)
It just takes some PR from bohemia -  the usual style of announcement we have heard 10000 times, the way most games companies do it:

- <<  Great News from BI !!!    We've decided to bring out DayZ II and put in ALL the neat stuff our player feedback from DayZ  told us to add - Expect a GREAT NEW DayZ GAME to explode on YOUR monitor. Amazing Graphics new GEAR,  new ACTION ... Everything you love plus MORE   - Coming soon -  All New.. WOW !! You never lived until you died playing   DAYZ II - Patient Zero  >>

and THEN go 100% for

DayZ III - The Return of Doomsday

DayZ IV - A new Beginning 

DayZ V - The Zombies Strike Back

Hey a FRANCHISE !!  ... just tell the players this one is Finished, now you BUY the Next One.

so why "move this game to finish"? why not go on changing it and making it interesting and go on playing it.. It's FREE FOR LIFE <giid grief!> ...  you would want a LITTLE bit of change every couple of years, wouldn't you?

[Sneakydude;  I thought you were keen on Modding - and isn't that what DayZ have been DOING to their own game for years?  And aint that what they are going to GO ON doing?

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
old stupid and ga-ga