philbur

Writing Notes...The biggest "small" content mechanic.

Just getting this out there...in the hopes all you Survivors will pick up on this as soon as (or in the event it ever finally makes it) this is available.

I've been picked off a few times already, as I wander through 0.63 and I have had my share of the odd kill (but you gotta take me on my word they were justified) and the ONE thing I think would add so much immersion and increased personal connection with the server player base is the ability to write notes on paper... Pretty simple, really...but finding a note in the backpack of a dead body...and reading the words of the poor soul whether its just some juvenile BS or maybe its a deep RP message to whoever finds it... It just needs to be in the game.

Having a note sitting on a kitchen table as you loot...maybe telling you which way to go for better gear...maybe warning you to get the hell out of a Clan-Owned area, or maybe just saying "You're" Dead" (even if there is no player lining you up in their gun sights it would scare the crap out of you) is just one example of how much it could add to the depth of the gameplay.

Notes can serve as a means of admission to bases or controlled-access areas.

Notes can even just serve as general information for those looking for crafting or other help.

And....They give you a PERSONAL investment in your character and the time it has spent in Chenarus. This is big, folks...really... Getting attached to your character, I would argue, is essential for the deepest immersive experiences and notes are such a "simple" way to let it happen, organically.

So...I wonder where this is, on the Devs' roadmap? It's hardly been mentioned as there are so many other priorities for them....

….but I wonder if maybe this should be added sooner?....since it requires so little time to implement? (not discounting the CLE) and why it never made it into any of the previous builds?

Almost afraid to ask if, possibly, this was scrapped...in favor of other content...like Teddy Bears or Clown Masks? Ack!

What say you? If the ability to write notes was in the game...would you make use of this?

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

1 hour ago, philbur said:

….but I wonder if maybe this should be added sooner?....since it requires so little time to implement? (not discounting the CLE) and why it never made it into any of the previous builds?

Almost afraid to ask if, possibly, this was scrapped...in favor of other content...like Teddy Bears or Clown Masks? Ack!

Yes it was in previous builds. Players left notes.

Top right of this page:  Do a search in <All Content> for the exact words   "found a note"   - there are plenty of stories about notes.

There also was a great selection of BOOKS too in previous builds, (full whole complete-text readable books, from start to finish.. the whole text. Plenty of classics... Many folk tore out pages to light fires (you could do that).. but I used to sit in a bush and read Moby Dick when it was raining & waiting for my tomatoes to grow.  That is one hell of a good book. Must have been a selection of over 70 (?)  mainly fiction classics in the game.

There was a kind of clan of ... well, a group of players, who used to go around with no pants & carrying a Bible and read from it to players to convert them.

I was on the hospital roof in Cherno a long while ago when one of these guys climbed up excited & cheerful  with no pants and started reading some passage to a sniper who was up there (a Dutch guy I think - we'd just met and didn't feel like shooting and we'd been exchanging stuff, he was a relaxed guy) .. after half a page of being read at,  this sniper stood up and fell dead.. He wasn't bleeding he wasn't shot, he didn't suicide.; he just heard the words and dropped stone dead.. This was recorded in a Youtube video but that vanished a while ago I guess, I couldn't find it again.

- but Moby Dick is definitely a great book.

Maybe other old-time bush-men remember their favorite literature in the game ??

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*

You know what, @pilgrim*

I honestly thought people were just RP-ing when they mentioned finding Notes!

I always look at paper when I find it as loot or when I go through a players' inventory....and have NEVER found text written on them. (maybe they are just client-based right now?)

Books, BTW, are kind of neat, I agree...but waiting for the Tolkien Trilogy to make its' way in (copyright, notwithstanding....as it IS an apocalypse!)

The notes were very good, even if they only worked well for a short time. In the time when the papers were functional they were also often used, partly with crap, but also with good things, or with messages that let you run.

The same goes for the Ingamemap .... I miss them very much, because the offline maps are and always were just a cheap alternative ... no matter how well they are made.

• Beans 1

Writing notes on paper and the in-game map is one of the features I was most worried to see go. I find tens of other people's bases and more often than not, I don't take anything as they have nothing I don't already have or can easily loot. So I leave the bases alone, either for the time when I'm in more dire straits or they get better heli loot. And I would love so much to leave a note to the tune that I found your base, didn't take anything, maybe you want to trade/cooperate, etc. Sometimes I would even leave people small 'gifts' like wolf steaks, but never bothered to come back and check. And notes could communicate so much more than you can do with random items (once I wrote 'HI' in mil tent inventory, with several steaks).

I would also like notes on the map (this feature used to be there, but was useless without persistence). You could leave somebody a map leading them to a rendez vous point, or alternatively, put some BS red-herring annotations to send your killer to a wild-goose chase. There are so many options. :)

Pity that this feature is not higher in priority, looks like a simple one.

• Beans 2

Not only that but it was also planned to use notes, newspapers, letters. computer and even audiologs to provide some nice lore background of the outbreak and tell some little stories...

• Like 1

It also would be cool if notes were very quickly to check, like just tab while it is near to you, and note would be instantly on the screen, without a need to pick up every single paper to check if anything is written. It would be great, picking it up and you read: "I SEE YOU", and then boom you get knocked-out. 

P.S. I don't get this please scrap masks and teddy bears. Thats none of your business lol It reminds me how a guy was asking to remove storm weather from driving simulator, as it felt wrong for it to be there in his opinion. 

P.P.S. I remember where there were a scrapyard near berezino, plus loot economy was good and it was good place to find something. Also risky place. Once as I was leaving the spot two or three guys with those scary masks approached me, forced to give everything to them and then shot me in the legs and left. That was when original DayZ concept was fun, eventful. 

• Beans 1

16 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

It also would be cool if notes were very quickly to check, like just tab while it is near to you, and note would be instantly on the screen, without a need to pick up every single paper to check if anything is written.

Yes! 

Oooh yes the notes. Such a small concept with such spectacular potential.. I remember leaving notes back in the day but i think they dissapered with server restarts, I mean how should they work ? Obviously we all want to leave them out on a floor or table rather than a world container so they are more easily found but i guess making them persistent like a tent doesnt make alot of sense in a role play scenario. Same with bear traps, i mean we would want to protect a potential safe house we barricade with items like this also.

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎16 at 5:43 AM, Mantasisg said:

P.S. I don't get this please scrap masks and teddy bears. Thats none of your business lol It reminds me how a guy was asking to remove storm weather from driving simulator, as it felt wrong for it to be there in his opinion. 

Dude... I was not asking for them to be removed....but I apologize if I upset your keen perspective on what is appropriate to post in these forums.

And if content is in the game, then so be it...I bought two copies...and I love playing it...and if I happen to think certain aspects infantile...then that is my opinion...

Should the devs spend "X" amount of hours working in implementing something, versus something else? That is pretty much what I was alluding to.

Please try harder next time, to perhaps see the intended message versus the interpreted one...my time on these forums have taught me the value of fully reading before I, myself, decide to chastise someone. 

Cheers.

While i would enjoy seeing notes from players again, dont forget that everything has its dark side.

Back when note could be made by players we had more then one case of abuse. As an admin it was impossible to know who made the note and when. So if this feature returns, please put in some sort of fingerprint or log entry so you can always retrace the message if nessessary.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, philbur said:

Dude... I was not asking for them to be removed....but I apologize if I upset your keen perspective on what is appropriate to post in these forums.

And if content is in the game, then so be it...I bought two copies...and I love playing it...and if I happen to think certain aspects infantile...then that is my opinion...

Should the devs spend "X" amount of hours working in implementing something, versus something else? That is pretty much what I was alluding to.

Please try harder next time, to perhaps see the intended message versus the interpreted one...my time on these forums have taught me the value of fully reading before I, myself, decide to chastise someone. 

Cheers.

Sorry my reply might have sounded a bit harsh, I constantly forget that we are writing, and you can't totally express yourself by a tone, body language and so on... I can not see your particular text anymore, so I can not really apologise. And I don't think that it takes a lot to implement those particular items, probably done in minutes. 

• Beans 1