Scott Dixon

Server hopping

I was guilty of this act during the first week, the main reason was spending so much time running to crash sites arriving and there only being a plume of smoke, no loot, no crash. It just got boring man and for someone who doesn't have a lot of time too play, felt like a bit of a jib.

This is kind of what drove me to this looting tactic...

(I have since noticed the choppers vanish over time anyway, just leaving the smoke, does this mean they've spawned elsewhere on the MAP?)

I have now seen the errors of my ways, it takes no time to run the route I take, I've found two SVDs on the same server within an hour.

Server hopping to camp spawn locations = LAME

All I can say is play the game, enjoy the game, it's your actions that'll keep you alive not the gear you've got!!

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

<<< I just wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts on server hopping and wether they feel like it is a fair, legitimate tactic; or if they would prefer the devs try to implement some way of blocking it.   >>>

server hopping

server hopping

.. just examples ..

This last month, a lot of folk seem to be starting new Xbox threads on Server Hopping and Ghosting (I count 15 threads on that subject in 30 days?)  .. I hope these players who start threads do actually =MAYBE= read each other's threads too .. then perhaps they could get together  & form an action group... the more threads on the SAME subject, the less anyone reads what anyone else says, IMO.  Short attention span ? Lack of interest in other players ?

Edited by pilgrim*
reddit sucks
  • Like 1
  • Beans 3

Just randomize a players location with in 1.5km of where they logged out if relogging within X amount of time. 

• Beans 1

Been a problem since Mod, doubt it's going away. Baker makes a good point, but running a click.5, you'll be back in a few minutes. Makes it only slightly annoying.

• Beans 1

50 minutes ago, TheCreeper (DayZ) said:

Been a problem since Mod ..//..

Search all content  - "server hopping" 
Found 7320 results

Plenty of suggestions, ideas, complaints, solutions, laffs, and lots of reading in there !   Good for a rainy afternoon.

p;s. .. it has been noticed by the devs

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Beans 1

Just now, pilgrim* said:

Search all content  - "server hopping" 
Found 7320 results

Plenty of suggestions, ideas, complaints, solutions, laffs, and lots of reading in there !   Good for a rainy afternoon.

Indeed, O'neill

• Beans 1

4 minutes ago, TheCreeper (DayZ) said:

Indeed, O'neill

Eugene O'Neill ?

I suggest a 3 minute logout countdown in key areas.
Then in a face-to-face you have to fight or die
- or run like hell 
Don't anyone complain about a 3 minute logout - you knew what you were up for when you went in there.  
If you don't want to take that risk for any reason, stay out of those places. 

xxP

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheCreeper (DayZ) said:

Jack O'Neill

About that 3 minute logout countdown in key zones
- if you log out while your avatar is still in the game (as you can do now on PC) the 'avatar logout' countdown window should continue on your login screen.  so you don't get frustrated and crazy (or stuck) trying to log in to the next server while your avatar is still in the last one.  You know how excited and irrational those reddit folk get about little stuff.. 

Jack O'Neill ???  ..  guess again

4Kgfm6Y.jpg

xxP

• Beans 1

11 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

About that 3 minute logout countdown in key zones
- if you log out while your avatar is still in the game (as you can do now on PC) the 'avatar logout' countdown window should continue on your login screen.  so you don't get frustrated and crazy (or stuck) trying to log in to the next server while your avatar is still in the last one.  You know how excited and irrational those reddit folk get about little stuff.. 

Jack O'Neill ???  ..  guess again

-snip-

xxP

Stealing the pic

• Beans 1

30 minutes ago, TheCreeper (DayZ) said:

Stealing the pic

I have more ..

EzfqZmq.jpg

Xbox Players, work TOGETHER and put a STOP to Server Hopping

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Haha 1

I dont care for server hopping but I'll take full advantage of you if you're spawning in I'll happily pop said person before they can even see haha serves them right

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

15 hours ago, Turdstick said:

it's your actions that'll keep you alive not the gear you've got!!

You could not be more wrong...

Wait, will server hopping be possible in the future versions of the game? I thought it's only temporary.

There's no wayyyy I'm gonna play DayZ if this will continue. I mean, what's the point?

Last time I died (was explaining to my friend how to suicide, clicked Y by mistake) I geared up in 1 hour like nothing happened, all all thanks to the hopping methodology we developed.

This is how xbox players play DayZ today:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, TheCreeper (DayZ) said:

Been a problem since Mod, doubt it's going away. Baker makes a good point, but running a click.5, you'll be back in a few minutes. Makes it only slightly annoying.

Yeah, it has. I’ve been playing since the mod, but it wasn’t as bad for me then as I started on a private hive. I’ve never felt the need, in all the years I’ve played DayZ, to come to the forums and complain about something until now. 

Im wondering why they can’t make gear server specific, even in the public servers?

45 minutes ago, Scott Dixon said:

Yeah, it has. I’ve been playing since the mod, but it wasn’t as bad for me then as I started on a private hive. I’ve never felt the need, in all the years I’ve played DayZ, to come to the forums and complain about something until now. 

Im wondering why they can’t make gear server specific, even in the public servers?

Why not just wait till private servers (with shard hives) come out on Xbox?   Then go back to a private hive.  It took a lot of hassle for BI to negotiate "public" server instances with the Server Providers (even before persistence was introduced).  On PC, many players use the Official hive servers, and some privately hired server instances link to the Official hive instead of running their own shard (because that's how they want to play) - if you want Xbox whitelist or 'clan' servers where you only ever meet the same 15 players, or no PvP, etc .. OK -  if that's your style those "private shard" servers will be along in a while.

Hey - You'll be able to run your OWN private hive server !!   Then no one will bother you except your own friends. Then I'll bet you'll all live at a military base, right?

A lot of players WANT to move between public hive (Official) servers AS THEY HAVE ALWAYS DONE since DayZ started. I am one of them. (and PERSONALLY I don't Hardly Ever go anywhere near any high loot places. That's NOT why I play).

Also the logout timer will certainly be set (if enough players WANT it) to make hopping on Xbox considerably less interesting and less safe. (at the moment on PC with a 15 second timer I can log out the first time I hear a wolf howl, if I want to, and <probably>  log back in without a bite)

I'd put it at 3 minutes myself. That would totally change gameplay everywhere on the map, and especially around high loot mil bases and airports.

ps - If you don't like hoppers right now on Xbox, just don't go where the hoppers go ? (is that too obvious?)
Or lie in wait for them and kill them ?
- there -  two easy solutions that will work for you Right Now, and Zero software changes involved. 

Edited by pilgrim*

20 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

if you want Xbox whitelist or 'clan' servers where you only ever meet the same 15 players, or no PvP, etc .. OK -  if that's your style those "private shard" servers will be along in a while.

Hey - You'll be able to run your OWN private hive server !!   Then no one will bother you except your own friends. Then I'll bet you'll all live at a military base, right?

You and I both know private hives and community servers are WAY more populated than official... pull yourself together man. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dixon said:

You and I both know private hives and community servers are WAY more populated than official... pull yourself together man. 

No we dont both know, scott - Ive never played on private hive servers.. OK.  So stiff upper lip mate, stop blubbering - wait for BI to implement Xbox shards .. read what Baty says about Xbox following PC development.

In the meantime - if you REALLY cant stand  hoppers, DONT GO where hoppers go... GOT IT?  - there are 100 ways to play this game. You have "played since the Mod" , you claim - so you have played PC (why not go back to it?)  So you already KNOW from WAY BACK why the public (Official) hive is NOT divided into individual servers with different avatars on each. And you know the work BI put in to set that up.

Stop whining:  go SHOOT some hoppers on Xbox.. If you have "played since  the Mod"  (2012?)  you are NOT AT ALL a typical Xbox player - let them work out for themselves the good and the bad of THEIR brand new experience. If you still HAVE your PC, get back on, dude,  it and join a whitelist server where you were HAPPY.

the PC private/community & official hive argument is OLD ..  it was an half-baked argument between DRAB PC players and it dribbled into the sands of time and vanished into nothing YEARS AGO..

There is plenty of Xbox discussion NOW, with various suggestions to deal with hopping - I noted a few THREADS above. Try reading them, or JOINING them, and see if you can make a positive contribution.  But please dump the << Make All Servers run on Individual shards >>  :  you KNOW that will annihilate the Xbox player-base just as it starts up.

WHY do you think BI started the Official hive in the first place ?

xxP

I suggest a 3 minute logout countdown in key areas.
Then in a face-to-face you have to fight or die
- or run like hell 
Don't anyone complain about a 3 minute logout - you knew what you were up for when you went in there.  
If you don't want to take that risk for any reason, stay out of those places. 

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 2

I've killed three server hoppers all at Staroye tents, they all literally loaded into the tent I was currently looting and received half a mag of AKM rounds to the spine. These kids are so bad there kitted to high heaven with double AR's, hundreds of rounds, ballistic vest etc but logout with there guns holstered lol. Easy kill. Ps If you're one of these guys I killed but weren't server hopping & were just logging in, try not doing that in a military tent (tbf though no server reset message = no choice in where you log GG game)

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

I've had a couple of kills at tents in balota, they were also carrying two ARs, mags for days and tac bac. Sad really, if they just want to be instantly geared they might as well play CoD

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

On 10/3/2018 at 4:05 AM, TheYetiBum said:

I've killed three server hoppers all at Staroye tents, they all literally loaded into the tent I was currently looting and received half a mag of AKM rounds to the spine. These kids are so bad there kitted to high heaven with double AR's, hundreds of rounds, ballistic vest etc but logout with there guns holstered lol. Easy kill. Ps If you're one of these guys I killed but weren't server hopping & were just logging in, try not doing that in a military tent (tbf though no server reset message = no choice in where you log GG game)

lmao. True... You do have a choice into what server you hop onto next... I'm assuming they hopped onto a busy server that you were in?

2 hours ago, McPhorce said:

lmao. True... You do have a choice into what server you hop onto next... I'm assuming they hopped onto a busy server that you were in?

Yep 50+ server, so my assumption is they'd got lucky after hopping a few times then Got very unlucky. I usually never KOS but seeing one after the other pop into existence less than 2meters away from me = bye bye time for these little hoppers

Why does anyone even CARE about server hopping. So some people like to change server all the time, I really couldn't give a monkeys! 

23 hours ago, M00nfly said:

Why does anyone even CARE about server hopping. So some people like to change server all the time, I really couldn't give a monkeys! 

I believe the general consensus is worry about ghosting, as the tactic is rather cheap and detracting from regular game play during firefights. I don't mind server hoppers plugging low populated servers for quick kitting, even though I prefer grinding the old fashioned way myself.

Edited by Molecular Drift 1.0