TheYetiBum

Xbox announce upcoming M&K support

So yesterday the xbox VP announced over twitter that mouse and keyboard support was coming soon to xbox, firstly I'd like I state that it'll only be for the game warframe initially and that it will be a game studios decision whether to allow the use of mouse as keyboard in there game & it'll be purely there decision whether M&K users are placed in separate servers than controller users for there games, as developers will be able to tell what peripheral your using.

Im interested in what you guys & girls would think about DayZ supporting M&K On console & whether you think if they did it should only be allowed in separate servers? 

My opinion is that console shouldn't have mouse & keyboard support at all, which obviously isn't goin to happen. But that when it does come that developers are completely obliged to create separate servers for both. It has been proven that a M&K user will be consistently more accurate and be accurate faster than a controller purely due to the efficiency a mouse offers over a thumbstick, I feel that this alone would warrant separate servers.

but as stated that's just my opinion and im more interested in yours, so fill me in peeps. What do you think?

• Like 2

Agreed. Personally I don't like using mouse and keyboard. Also, I imagine most console users aren't really set up for mouse and keyboard. I think the majority will have a sitting room setup that would make m+k awkward to use. 

• Like 4

I think this is a bad call. Take many shooting games for example. The possible advantage you have using a mouse to control recoil, plus when you factor in hotkeys, a mouse and keyboard vs a controller, the M&K has a better shot at winning. I could understand it for some specific games where that wouldnt give an advantage in multiplayer is fine, but universal. Idk that could be bad. We will have to see how they implement.

• Like 1

There are already 3rd party devices for XBox that for a long time have provided KB/M function as well as scripting . Only posting this to keep people aware, as it shouldn't be a surprise that MS wants proprietary hardware.

On 28/09/2018 at 6:09 AM, TheYetiBum said:

M&K user will be consistently more accurate and be accurate faster than a controller purely due to the efficiency a mouse offers over a thumbstick, I feel that this alone would warrant separate servers.

A sour spot for some but totally agree because you're right. Matchmaking is key for game replay-ability. No pun intended! Controller users that have no idea about m&k will just get frustrated sooner and the game will die early. Xbox is primary used with a controller, the audience is 99% controller users. They should be separated and matched accordingly imo, I think it will be a majority over matter though. How many PC converts are there over new players. Not many I would expect. So separating the two would only be for a small majority - so the devs need to ask - is it worth it? Hard to say

• Like 1

Sony announced crossplattform multiplayer a few hours after the MS announcement, at least for Fortnite. With that in mind, isnt M/K support a good thing in the long run? As a console player you will run into PC players sooner or later when Fortnite wont be exclusive with that feature anymore.

Financially its a Win/Win for Sony and MS, considering everyone with serious multiplayer in mind will buy a mouse and keyboard for their consoles, or run into danger of getting rekked from players with other systems. Most casuals wont even notice i guess.

1 hour ago, -=maverick=- said:

Sony announced crossplattform multiplayer a few hours after the MS announcement, at least for Fortnite. With that in mind, isnt M/K support a good thing in the long run? As a console player you will run into PC players sooner or later when Fortnite wont be exclusive with that feature anymore.

Financially its a Win/Win for Sony and MS, considering everyone with serious multiplayer in mind will buy a mouse and keyboard for their consoles, or run into danger of getting rekked from players with other systems. Most casuals wont even notice i guess.

Not really.

Xbox already has cross play with many games. Ark and fortnite for example. 

Take a game like fortnite. The user with the keyboard and mouse will almost always out shoot a controller player. Faster reflex, better recoil, hotkeys for building, the list goes on.

I dont see this as an issue for single player games. Its multiplayer that this becomes an issue. Shooters in particular.

You dont need a mouse and keyboard to play with pc players, you need it to be on level playing field.

The issue arises where say a game like DayZ implements the old inventory system where items are drag and drop, combined and stacked in inventory. All that. A controller player would be at a serious disadvantage

• Like 2

Hey everone lets just start a controller on pc trend and fill there games with shitty ass players until pc dies! Foreal though go play pc if you wanna use m&k its annoying and unfair for us real console players 

I find it laughable the lot of you really think its a game changer. Its really not. If you cant aim with a thumbstick. You cant aim with a mouse and vise versa. The only thing that is troubling is that alot of gaming mouses can save macros into 1 key. Thats cheating to me. So only allow MS mouses. 

1 hour ago, Levi Feaster said:

Hey everone lets just start a controller on pc trend and fill there games with shitty ass players until pc dies! Foreal though go play pc if you wanna use m&k its annoying and unfair for us real console players 

Id loke to see you call me a shitty ass player when im pub stomping ypu with a controller in bf1 and halo ce on pc with a controller emulator. Just because youre trash and scared doesnt mean everyone is. 

With the mentality this thread has im suprised you guys are still alive being this afraid.

If BI was to support keyboard and mouse, it should only be used on private or some dedicated M&K server(s).

• Like 1

Yup seperate servers, or at the worst a mouse symbol next to their name so everyone can tell, if you’ve seen some streamers on YouTube play you can see how fast they manage inventory and scan an area through a scope or manage recoil. Makes it difficult to combat for us controller users. We can put our sensitivities way up but still will never be as easy to use as an M&K.

In pubg console so many of the winners are using that xim4 adapter (which will probably be undecteable for a system to place them in a M&K server and still give them the advantage) you can easily tell if you spectate. If its not controlled properly I reckon it’ll wreck matchmaking. 

Brett of course it is a game changer. no real point to coming here with that attitude, no one likes it. Using a M&K makes the crappiest control user 10 times better so for those that are already good they will aim like lightning, the playing field will no longer be level, more than likely the reason Microsoft is releasing their own gear to get ahead of the divide and give everyone a chance to continue playing at the same level. 

I already use a mouse and keyboard(xim) have done for years, i hope more games add support for mouse and keyboard so I don't have to use XIM which is inferior to a native mouse and keyboard.

Aside from that, games like PUBG and Dayz show how lazy some developers are when it comes to porting games to console, none of them see to bother or are capable of making a decent UI for inventory management, look how shitty and awkward the dayz inventory management is with a controller. 

Edited by micky_north
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, micky_north said:

I already use a mouse and keyboard(xim) have done for years, i hope more games add support for mouse and keyboard so I don't have to use XIM which is inferior to a native mouse and keyboard.

Aside from that, games like PUBG and Dayz show how lazy some developers are when it comes to porting games to console, none of them see to bother or are capable of making a decent UI for inventory management, look how shitty and awkward the dayz inventory management is with a controller. 

I find the inventory pretty straight forward. Took some getting used to but I like the fact that it's just as awkward to rummage through a backpack in real life. I think a lot of gamers are just used to being able to press a button and bring up any item instantly. Not realistic. This isn't a game for lazy players and Cod kiddies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

M and K should be allowed. I play both xbox and pc and m and k is way better for a game like dayz. You get comfortable with m and k very quickly and its hard to go back to controller. Controllers feel so slow and clumsy.

6 hours ago, nhow7108 said:

M and K should be allowed. I play both xbox and pc and m and k is way better for a game like dayz. You get comfortable with m and k very quickly and its hard to go back to controller. Controllers feel so slow and clumsy.

The argument is really more about balance as oppose to how easy it is to get used to. Most players wouldn't have mouse and keyboard so would be at a disadvantage unless servers distinguished between m&k/pad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2018 at 4:55 AM, DayzDayzFanboy said:

I find the inventory pretty straight forward. Took some getting used to but I like the fact that it's just as awkward to rummage through a backpack in real life. I think a lot of gamers are just used to being able to press a button and bring up any item instantly. Not realistic. This isn't a game for lazy players and Cod kiddies. 

No. Its not good. Stop white knighting for a game that has a terrible ui. Theres no excuse for how cumbersome it is to pick up something and move it to another bag.

No matter how much dick riding you do. The ui ia clunky as fuck and will turn away most players.

I shouldnt have to open my inventory and hold a for several seconds then move to another placement with lb and then move it with the pad. 

It doesnt make you a cod kiddoe for wanting the ui to be quick and fluid.

Youre right it is easy to use but after about 3 hours of figuring it out. Thats too long to learn how to move an item.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Brett Tucker said:

No. Its not good. Stop white knighting for a game that has a terrible ui. Theres no excuse for how cumbersome it is to pick up something and move it to another bag.

No matter how much dick riding you do. The ui ia clunky as fuck and will turn away most players.

I shouldnt have to open my inventory and hold a for several seconds then move to another placement with lb and then move it with the pad. 

It doesnt make you a cod kiddoe for wanting the ui to be quick and fluid.

Youre right it is easy to use but after about 3 hours of figuring it out. Thats too long to learn how to move an item.

Ah, more abuse! I guess you don't like someone having a different view point to you. I get it, every forum has one. I was merely saying I dont mind it and never said it wasn't awkward. Dayz will naturally have a more complex inventory system to games a lot of people are used to because you can do more things in it. I don't know if you've played Ark, but again, that's a fart about too. Maybe it could be simpler. Why don't you present your ideas to fix it rather than just whining about it and insulting other forum members. 

• Like 3

On 9/29/2018 at 6:55 PM, Brett Tucker said:

Id loke to see you call me a shitty ass player when im pub stomping ypu with a controller in bf1 and halo ce on pc with a controller emulator. Just because youre trash and scared doesnt mean everyone is. 

With the mentality this thread has im suprised you guys are still alive being this afraid.

Ctfu you would only beat me if you were using aim bot or m&k buddy, every pc gamers know that a 1-1 mouse is far more accurate than any controller thumbstick its a clear disadvantage to true console gamers, whats the point of even selling xbox or ps if everything gunna be m&k anyway!? Might aswell just get a pc for f&#$ sake foreal

• Like 2

Being a PC player I would love to see mouse and keyboard support in DayZ on the Xbox! I have a group of friends (Xbox players) that saw me playing DayZ on PC and they really loved it. They now got to know that DayZ is out for the Xbox as well and they're really interested and will probably get it.

My wish on the long turn would be that DayZ on the Xbox offers M&K support and that by this a crossplay between both systems would be considered by BI. If I remember correctly, the devs excluded this so far because of the advantages of the PC's M&K controls. But this was prior to Microsoft's announcement that M&K are coming to the Xbox. If BI would go with this now then the balance between PC and console would be even, at least regarding controls.

Of course I understand that then the balance problems would be shifted to the Xbox side. However, as some here pointed out, this could be solved by offering servers with controllers exclusively and servers allowing both or M&K only.

6 hours ago, Undeceived said:

S Being a PC player I would love to see mouse and keyboard support in DayZ on the Xbox! I have a group of friends (Xbox players) that saw me playing DayZ on PC and they really loved it. They now got to know that DayZ is out for the Xbox as well and they're really interested and will probably get it.

My wish on the long turn would be that DayZ on the Xbox offers M&K support and that by this a crossplay between both systems would be considered by BI. If I remember correctly, the devs excluded this so far because of the advantages of the PC's M&K controls. But this was prior to Microsoft's announcement that M&K are coming to the Xbox. If BI would go with this now then the balance between PC and console would be even, at least regarding controls.

Of course I understand that then the balance problems would be shifted to the Xbox side. However, as some here pointed out, this could be solved by offering servers with controllers exclusively and servers allowing both or M&K only.

I too feel that over this and the next gen consoles we will see a slow movement of more people buying M&K as games allow it. Don't see it being allowed in many Fps multiplayer titles to begin with but over time I expect to see more separate server options for different peripherals on console but definitely think mixing controller and M&K Is a bad idea for balancing. But for games like dayz, heavy inventory management and RPGs plus command and conquer style games would benefit from more keys and faster more precise cursor movement.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 7:08 PM, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Ah, more abuse! I guess you don't like someone having a different view point to you. I get it, every forum has one. I was merely saying I dont mind it and never said it wasn't awkward. Dayz will naturally have a more complex inventory system to games a lot of people are used to because you can do more things in it. I don't know if you've played Ark, but again, that's a fart about too. Maybe it could be simpler. Why don't you present your ideas to fix it rather than just whining about it and insulting other forum members. 

Youre projecting. Just as everyone else. Learn how to not do that.

4 hours ago, Brett Tucker said:

Youre projecting. Just as everyone else. Learn how to not do that.

You're using offensive language at people who are offering their opinions. Learn how to not do that. It just undermines your own argument. Maybe if you could articulate a coherent argument without using offensive language, people may be more inclined to listen to you rather than dismiss you for being simply immature.