john garcia

General Questions on gameplay

Hey all, new here and 1st post.

I fell in love with Dayz after seeing it on Youtube over a year ago and am subscribed to a few different Dayz content creators. Once learning of the Xbox release I followed closely and got it from the start on day one. Then I lurked here seeking advice after some frustrations and issues. Have picked up some great advice and instructions from the posts here and watching all those past videos have helped too.

I do have some general questions and hope some of you guys can answer them.

1. I read here about drinking water until it shows the "full" icon and started doing it. Has helped TREMEDOUSLY!! I do this now at every water source, especially right now since there is no disease to worry about. Does this also apply to food? Can one eat until there is a full/stomach icon? I know it would probably take alot of food. I find that currently it takes me approx 30 +/- sips of water to get full.

2.What happens when you drink too much and then vomit? Does it deplete your hydration and you have to start over again to get full?

3. What will happen when disease gets implemented? How do you cure disease?

4. If I log into Xbox and see a friend is playing Dayz, can I just join in game and it will place me on same server? 

5. When I "pause" the game to look at online players or access menu does it actually pause the game? If I need to go AFK will my food and hydration continue to drop while I'm gone, will others be able to find me and kill me? Am I still exposed to any of the other dangers?

I'm an certain I will be posting more questions soon. If anyone is interested my tag is SecuroBot. If you see me online feel free to contact as it does get boring going solo all the time.

Thanks all.

23 minutes ago, john garcia said:

Hello,

I will try to answer as many of your questions as I can.

1.  You can eat until your stomach is full, however I believe you will then vomit. 

2. This is something I'm not sure of. I'll be honest I've never thought about it in this way. I think to closely monitor this you would need to develop a system to know what your EXACT thirst level is. Maybe a PC player can answer this?

3. I'm not sure about this one. I guess through medication?

4. No, sadly in the current build you can't join a friends 'session in progress' you will need to speak with your friend(s) to ask them what server they are o and then join the relevant server accordingly.

5. Nope, as a general rule of thumb with most if not all online multiplayer games you cannot pause the game. If you press the start button/bring up your inventory the game will still continue in the background, meaning that; yes, your hunger and thirst will still go down, albeit by a large amount less than they would if you were moving, but they will still go down none the less. People can also still kill you. Although if you need to go AFK I would strongly recommend either finding an A1 hiding place (on par with Bin Laden) or logging off the server until you're back, you may think that going to take a leak and only taking 2 minutes isn't that long, but that's enough time for a sniper to catch you or a group of zeds to swarm you.

Be safe out there and if you ever wanna play, hit me up. 

Edited by droefheid

Thanks

As for AFK I usually run out into the woods and find a place to prone. Another option is finding a location and using lock pick to lock myself in. Only posting these to give ideas in hopes of helping others.

As far as servers, my main issue is not remembering to look at server name/number before joining. I'm too focused on number of players on the actual server. Also keep forgetting to set the "previous" filter on.

47 minutes ago, john garcia said:

I fell in love with Dayz after seeing it on Youtube over a year ago and am subscribed to a few different Dayz content creators. Once learning of the Xbox release I followed closely and got it from the start on day one. Then I lurked here seeking advice after some frustrations and issues. Have picked up some great advice and instructions from the posts here and watching all those past videos have helped too.

Good day Mr. Garcia,

To answer both 1 and 2... Food and water will both make you vomit and food will cause this far more often as it doesn't take much to fill your food level. After vigorous testing, I've found after having a "yellow" food indicator and consuming one cow steak, a can of soda (which counts as both food and hydration roughly 50/50 oddly...) and a can of peaches, my character vomited. After throwing up, I was able to traverse just as much distance before having to eat and drink as I would having filling up and not vomiting. So to answer your question to the best of my findings, emptying your stomach does not currently affect your meters, but I expect this will change with future updates. 

3. Depending on which disease you contract will determine the course of action to cure it. Some diseases will require medications, others can be cured simply by maintaining a mostly liquid diet for some time. 

4. drofheid answered this perfectly, that cannot be done as you would like at this time.

5. Again, drofheid is correct, there is no way to pause, or be perfectly safe during game play. As a smoker who doesn't light up in my house, this is just another aspect to plan around. If you come across a time that you need to step away for a few moments, you need to weigh the risk of doing so at that time or log off. The map is huge and there's usually a fair amount of foliage around, so either go prone in some bushes out of sight, or if you have a lock pick, just lock yourself into a small, single entranced structure like a shed and hope that anyone who may approach it also doesn't have one. Just be aware that if using the lock pick method and someone finds the door locked, they may camp outside for a bit to see if someone will come out... 

Or they use their lockpick and open the door and blast you as has already happened to me : ^(

Thanks for your input!

Edited by john garcia

1 hour ago, john garcia said:

1. I read here about drinking water until it shows the "full" icon and started doing it. Has helped TREMEDOUSLY!! I do this now at every water source, especially right now since there is no disease to worry about. Does this also apply to food? Can one eat until there is a full/stomach icon? I know it would probably take alot of food. I find that currently it takes me approx 30 +/- sips of water to get full.

Wait theres a Stomach Full icon? How have I not noticed that? What does the icon change to when it is full?

5 minutes ago, Los Bandito said:

Wait theres a Stomach Full icon? How have I not noticed that? What does the icon change to when it is full?

It's like a stomach icon that appears next to the health icon on the far left. It is used to inform you that you have either ate too much or drank too much. 

Getting the icon for a short duration will result in coughing and throwing up, how long the icon stays is how long the symptoms could last.

Its brutal, it happened to my friend one day, we were in a fire fight and they just collapsed and threw up for a few seconds. Needless to say the enemy put them out of their misery hahaha.

Edited by Bombarding

Keep dring from the fountain or stream and you will eventually see a small stomach next to the health icon on your status bar ( "+" sign on bottom right) Soon as you see it stop drinking. If you keep going you will vomit.

I have been doing this and it holds me over water wise for a long, long time. I will always carry some water with me but honestly speaking I only drink the cans when I find them and have only drank bottled water to empty it to make a suppressor. Follow that tip and it will amke your life ALOT easier. I will add I also use online map on laptop next to me to find ponds, fountains, and streams. I make sure to hit them as I go from each destination 

I see there is a stomach icon there but i didnt realise it changed when your stomach was full? Or do you mean to the left of the Health icon temporarily like the water drops when you step in water?

5 minutes ago, Los Bandito said:

I see there is a stomach icon there but i didnt realise it changed when your stomach was full? Or do you mean to the left of the Health icon temporarily like the water drops when you step in water?

To the left of health where water drops show when wet. It will appear there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Los Bandito said:

correct

Got a few more questions

So currently no way to zoom when using a scope on AK or M4?

Are there scopes to fit the IZH and Mosin?

How do you make your character lie prone on their back? I've yet to figure it out but it was one of the big innovations that was touted.

1 hour ago, john garcia said:

Got a few more questions

How do you make your character lie prone on their back? I've yet to figure it out but it was one of the big innovations that was touted.

No zooming on those scopes. The mosin currently takes a PU scope which has the same magnification as the ps and acog I believe. I dont think the izh has a scope. 

To lie prone on your back, if you go prone and then turn around it kinda rolls you onto your back, but I find it can sometimes obscure your view in certain angles. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, john garcia said:

Got a few more questions

You can't zoom but you can zero the PSO-1 up to 1000m if you can estimate your target's distance. A good way to do this is shoot at an object from distances and see where you're hitting. Keep in mind it is ballistically calibrated for 7.62x54mm ammo so you will still have to adjust if you're shooting 7.62x39 from an akm. 

• Like 1

Here's another question. Do the AKM suppressor and the improvised one actually work? How far out can you still hear it? I happened to see a stream last night on Mixxer and when the players shot with their suppressors it seemed nearly silent. But when I have shot my AKM it sounds loud as hell to me, and I check it's condition and it shows pristine. I causes me to hesitate to shoot even though I have it equipped.

And also I just can't seem to lie prone on my back. What am I missing?

Edited by john garcia

Hey by the way cholera is currently in this build , if you eat raw meat and drink from unclean water sources such as still water and drainage ditches you will see the bacteria symbol on bottom left increase with upward arrows. Many people think over eating is causing vomiting but it's usually cholera as it increases the need for water and causes sickness. I've seen a dev post that simply using purification tablets on water storage devices and cooking meat will cure this over time & that the only negative effect it has ATM is increased dehydration and throwing up randomly which I guess could effect combat. Since I've started purifyng water and cookin meat or stickig to canned food I've not thrown up once. I hope this helps as I had no idea until I saw a reply from a dev about a week ago :) .

Also yes suppressor do reduce sound, how much depends on which weapon, there main use is for Infected as a silenced pistol won't aggro them so is very useful for zombie clearing In A pinch, .45 cal pistol will generally one shot infected . All suppressors also create an effect whereby it masks the direction a shot is coming from, you may hear that some one is shooting but it will be extremely difficult to ascertain directional sound.

oh and if you want to be prone on your back you need to ADS whilst prone then roll your aim about & you'll rollover , just take into account that proning bugs your aiming out ATM as uneven ground currently misaligns your center reticule and character models gun holding position. It's easy to test this, just lie down and ADS and stand up, then go into hip fire stance then tap RB into full aim and you'll aim in some extreme other direction. To fix this without logging just full ADS at the your feet and it'll force the character models gun stance back into shape, it's a known bug being worked on for some time that's effected PC for awhile too