pilgrim*

FLIES

I would dearly like FLIES back in the game, around dead bodies.

I think I am NOT the only one who wants FLIES - like they were in the old game. They added Atmosphere, for sure. And this is not a technically complex suggestion.

We have cannibalism in game, bags on heads, handcuffs (ie torture) etc..  so FLIES aren't going to offend anyone. Put FLIES back in DayZ.

So - if at all possible - Let dead bodies lie around a WHILE longer before despawning.  The game can despawn any gear that is ruined (that's usually quiet a lot these days), to reduce the load on the server (or despawn just backpack and weapon at the current rate) .. but leave the body for a WHILE (as long as you can?)  .. Bodies lying around in the game was also extremely Atmospheric..

I remember running up the coast road, then hearing flies buzzing off in the undergrowth, going to investigate... that was WORTHWILE gameplay.. I think the Xboxers would love it and most PC players would vote YES on that.

<kichilron, please add FLIES to your list of suggestions.. thanx>

xxP

- folks - Join the "Bring Flies Back to DayZ Campaign" - You Know it Makes Sense.

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 9

10 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

I think I am NOT the only one who wants FLIES - like they were in the old game. They added Atmosphere, for sure. And this is not a technically complex suggestion.

We have cannibalism in game, bags on heads, handcuffs (ie torture) etc..  so FLIES aren't going to offend anyone. Put FLIES back in DayZ.

So - if at all possible - Let dead bodies lie around a WHILE longer before despawning.  The game can despawn any gear that is ruined (that's usually quiet a lot these days), to reduce the load on the server.. but leave the body for a WHILE (as long as you can?)  .. Bodies lying around in the game was also extremely Atmospheric..

I remember running up the coast road, then hearing flies buzzing off in the undergrowth, going to investigate... that was WORTHWILE gameplay.. I think the Xboxers would love it and most PC players would vote YES on that.

xxP

- folks - Join the "Bring Flies Back to DayZ Campaign" - You Know it Makes Sense.

Oh I agree. A LOT. Here's a can of beans! Bodies need to remain for a much longer time and (after a while) have flies around them. Possibly they could remove the timed despawn entirely and instead implement some kind of ceiling on how many bodies there could be at any one time. Once the ceiling has been reached, the oldest body would despawn whenever somebody dies. Would be cool if this was combined with visual degeneration of bodies with time, so the actual appearance of a body would give a hint on how long the guy has been dead.

And I still want infected to eat bodies. I know they are not walking dead, which means they are in fact living, and they are (apparently) too deranged to cook or recognize canned food and fruit for what it is - so they need to eat something, right? I often see them chasing animals around, so it would only be logical if they'd sit down and eat whenever they kill an animal or player. Would be awfully cool, and scary, to see a group of infected feeding on a dead player in the street. It would most certainly reinforce the apocalyptic horror aspect of the game. Just do it!

• Beans 3

Definitely, bring the flies back!

Personally, I want priest infected back. :(

SbnAWgG.jpg

I promise it has nothing to do with being Atheist.

• Like 1
  • Beans 5

2 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

SbnAWgG.jpg

Oooh, never seen those! They were in the mod?

• Beans 1

On 9/26/2018 at 4:18 AM, pilgrim* said:

So - if at all possible - Let dead bodies lie around a WHILE longer before despawning.  The game can despawn any gear that is ruined (that's usually quiet a lot these days), to reduce the load on the server (or despawn just backpack and weapon at the current rate) .. but leave the body for a WHILE (as long as you can?)  .. Bodies lying around in the game was also extremely Atmospheric..

xxP

Oh hell yes.  The flies added that extra tension when you heard them.  How long ago did the player die?  How did he die?  Is the reason he died still around?  Do I loot him?  So many possibilities just from that one tiny aspect

Edited by Guy Smiley
  • Like 1
  • Beans 3

20 hours ago, cirkular said:

Oh boy!

Omg, that was in the SA earlier? What build? And most importantly, will it be back?!? AAAARGH!!!

• Haha 1
  • Beans 1

3 hours ago, Beavis3D said:

Omg, that was in the SA earlier? What build? And most importantly, will it be back?!? AAAARGH!!!

I found some old clips and this one was from March 31st 2015, so maybe 0.57 or 0.58?

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

16 hours ago, cirkular said:

I found some old clips and this one was from March 31st 2015, so maybe 0.57 or 0.58?

Awesome. I will make it my mission in life to whinge and nag until that is put back into the game...

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, Beavis3D said:

Awesome. I will make it my mission in life to whinge and nag until that is put back into the game...

YES   let's Go For It...

(and think how happy the Xbox players will be, too!)

FLIES are just too good to miss out on.

( I was saving pro-active zombs for the next thread.. e.g.  their =random= walk in the Mod was slightly biased towards any local player, so if you didn't move they gradually closed in on your location.. this will be GOOD for  gameplay when "base building" or "barricading" turns up.)

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Beans 2

I'm sure we had decayed bodies in a status report a while back. By decayed I mean a dead player body turns pale after some time(i think?). Does anyone remember that ? Yes, yes a flies come back would suit well too. Good ol Flies hand in hand with pale bodies would be fun. So does anyone even know how long dead bodies of players stay spawned atm ? I'm sure its not very long. I Hope the db's atleast stay until server reset in the future of dayz like the good old days :D  (tho i do remember the flies sound file being a bit to loud)

6 hours ago, liquidcactus said:

I'm sure we had decayed bodies in a status report a while back. By decayed I mean a dead player body turns pale after some time(i think?). Does anyone remember that ? Yes, yes a flies come back would suit well too. Good ol Flies hand in hand with pale bodies would be fun. So does anyone even know how long dead bodies of players stay spawned atm ? I'm sure its not very long. I Hope the db's atleast stay until server reset in the future of dayz like the good old days :D  (tho i do remember the flies sound file being a bit to loud)

Yeah, while probably very good for server performance, quick despawning of corpses really breaks immersion and makes the game arcadey. Really, in the perfect game they would stay until eaten by infected/wolves/wild dogs or simply rotted away (could take e.g. 24 hours in-game?). Something like that  is not possible in any game where server performance is a factor, but I believe putting a ceiling on number of corpses allowed, and despawning the oldest when new are created, would be better than timed despawns. That should allow bodies to degenerate and attract flies a while even on busy servers...

• Beans 1

48 minutes ago, Beavis3D said:

Yeah, while probably very good for server performance, quick despawning of corpses really breaks immersion and makes the game arcadey. Really, in the perfect game they would stay until eaten by infected/wolves/wild dogs or simply rotted away (could take e.g. 24 hours in-game?). Something like that  is not possible in any game where server performance is a factor, but I believe putting a ceiling on number of corpses allowed, and despawning the oldest when new are created, would be better than timed despawns. That should allow bodies to degenerate and attract flies a while even on busy servers...

Dead really don't have to rot (lol, you sick-sick wierdo, lol) .. & that won't be good for server performance either.. If you want to up performance and keep the fallen for longer, despawn their backpack and whatever they are carrying (at the normal rate as it happens in the game now) .. leave the body wearing it's clothing with whatever is in it's pockets.. and anything ruined despawn that too..

As BI can now run 100 player servers (in test, at least) .. then we can argue that say 40 of those players could be DEAD and the server would STILL run as good as it did when they were alive.. ?? Even better in fact as they wouldn't be moving around much.. right ?

So on a 60 player - IF it were FULL.. a dead player could be left lying where he fell until another player wanted to log in, then the dead player would despawn to (make place) for the new log ... If you run a first-dead first-despawn stack, AND you despawn the dezad after they are looted.. then your 60 player server MAY fill up slowly.. but many of the new logins will be players who just died on the server.. so in practice the "full server" including alive/dead players,  would only turn up on the max PvP servers

Or on a 60 player, set the max alive/dead to say 40 or 50, so that as 50 alive players showed up, the dead would despawn more quickly to keep players on servers at that level.

Why not? well I guess if that worked it would in fact be really more USEFUL to use at least SOME of the server capacity for the ZOMBIES. Because they definitely need cheering up a bit..  they don't even chase me anymore, they get exhausted after 10 seconds.. they got no PEP and no ZAP or ZIP, neither.. they look and move like they've been standing in the rain too long. Need more zomb variation with more attack (like a zombie that could RUN FAST or a zomb that could kick a door down, or MORE than 3 in a town?) 
(maybe they ARE rotting away in the game right now?)..

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
no offence intended, Beavis3D.. <weirdo> lol
  • Beans 1

47 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

Why not? well I guess if that worked it would in fact be really more USEFUL to use at least SOME of the server capacity for the ZOMBIES. Because they definitely need cheering up a bit..  they don't even chase me anymore, they get exhausted after 10 seconds.. they got no PEP and no ZAP or ZIP, neither.. they look and move like they've been standing in the rain too long. Need more zomb variation with more attack (like a zombie that could RUN FAST or a zomb that could kick a door down, or MORE than 3 in a town?) 
(maybe they ARE rotting away in the game right now?)..

xxP

Indeed. Anything that makes dead bodies lie around a while attracting flies would do for me. And as for zeds I agree, they are slow to react to gunfire, don't give chase very long and appear to have gone nearly blind, since you can move around in the open quite near them without them seeing you.

Apart from animations, infected were actually far better in 0.62 if anyone asks me, they were more aggressive, fast, didn't give up too soon, came running from everywhere if you fired one round and their attacks made you bleed. Sound effects were more scary too, the stupid "rhaaaaawr" in 0.63 annoys me to no end. I know it's a placeholder, but it's just so cringy. Couldn't they have just kept the sounds from 0.62 instead of that? Infected were better at the start of experimental but changed for the worse with the content patch I think. Hopefully these are things that will be adjusted, might even have been some tweak for one of the pvp-centered stress tests that someone forgot to un-tweak?

Anyhow, for more infected, go ahead and try one of the "pve" modded community servers that are out there. I've been playing on one with proper hordes around any military camp and sometimes in towns as well. It is great, you have to be careful when moving around, plan your approach, stay in cover and have an escape route planned if you mess up. I've been killed twice by infected the last week, something that hasn't happened since the first two weeks I played the game. Loving it!

836790D792DB19B3533918BF3C936FE1E75D9361

Below picture was very dark, I have cropped it and increased brightness to make them more visible. Zoom in and start counting infected...

BdtOjUu.jpg

Edited by Beavis3D
Added pic
  • Beans 1

On 10/3/2018 at 7:27 PM, Beavis3D said:

Below picture was very dark, I have cropped it and increased brightness to make them more visible. Zoom in and start counting infected...

BdtOjUu.jpg

Wow what server was that on beavis ?

I have been playing on some zombie increased servers, oooh its a nice feel for whats to come. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liquidcactus said:

Wow what server was that on beavis ?

I have been playing on some zombie increased servers, oooh its a nice feel for whats to come. 

It was on the Outbreak RP server. It is a roleplaying server and passworded, they want more players so you can hop in on their discord and read the rules. If you agree just @ Bruce and you should get an invite.

https://discordapp.com/invite/g5errAk

I got a bit careless last night when looting in Elektro and had to barricade myself in the police station, it looked like this from the roof:

C9EE07AB111A12101BB866A8294C7DFB831D5F97

Edited by Beavis3D
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, Beavis3D said:

It was on the Outbreak RP server. It is a roleplaying server and passworded, they want more players so you can hop in on their discord and read the rules. If you agree just @ Bruce and you should get an invite.

https://discordapp.com/invite/g5errAk

I got a bit careless last night when looting in Elektro and had to barricade myself in the police station, it looked like this from the roof: ..//photo//..

ZOMBIES !!

This used to happen in the original DayZ mod.
BACK THEN there were PLENTY of Zombs and they ran fast (they had lousy tracking but that made them more zombie-like. They were FAST on the chase, even with no-brain) - if you were trapped  on a 2nd floor or in or a high-rise you were in the shit.

Also we had IN GAME mikes in DayZ-Mod..   and the Zombs could HEAR YOU TALK... they came running if you spoke .. If you got up on the corner of a roof and just clicked your mike on and off a couple of times, you'd gather a crowd like this waiting below in Beavis3D's photo  - It was good to do from the roof corner of the apartment building across from the store, then the next players who ran round the corner to the store found 25 zombs  all NOTICING them at once ...
AND you could crawl past zombs, or lie motionless when they walked around maybe 4 feet away.. it was a Risk.. I've laid behind trashcans and watched the feet shuffle past..

BUT the best effect was FIRSTLY they moved around ALWAYS , they shambled, they went in and out of barns and through open doors, up stairs, and they turned street corners & walked, they were unpredictable..they didn't stand motionless.. they WALKED the STREETS

.. and
SECONDLY - & the MOST IMPORTANT - their 'RANDOMLY GENERATED" walk through & around an area was slightly BIASED towards any local PLAYER POSITION. - (and that IS very - totally -  easy to program)

So if you  stayed in one place, the zombs would shamble around town normally, but SLOWLY  their 'CONSTANTLY in-movement wanderings' would bring them CLOSER to where you were located. So if you stayed in a house, after a while you would have three, or five zombs, wandering around outside that house, even if they hadn't seen you yet.. like they KNEW there was live meat in the area..

THOSE old ZOMBS from DayZ Mod did everything zombs are SUPPOSED to do (and didn't burn out the server AI either) ... maybe someone should put them BACK in STRESS TEST or EXPERIMENTAL just as an EXPERIMENT ??

MOST IMPORTANT = zombs that slowly gather towards player presence will put a WHOLE New Aspect on basebuilding... RIGHT?
(think about it).

Am I right about ZOMBIES ?? = Try out the OLD ZOMBIES
.. <give the Xbox players a RUN for their money>..  There were plenty of THOSE OLD Zombs & they didn't EASILY give up the chase.

Am I right about FLIES ?? = Bring back the FLIES

Yes

xxP

• Beans 1

56 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

Am I right about ZOMBIES ?? = Try out the OLD ZOMBIES
.. <give the Xbox players a RUN for their money>..  There were plenty of THOSE OLD Zombs & they didn't EASILY give up the chase.

Am I right about FLIES ?? = Bring back the FLIES

Yes

xxP

YES and YES!!!

I really hope the infected in current experimental are nowhere near finalised. I want them to do all the stuff you describe above and more. They should hear players talking, they they should eat people and animals, they should break down doors or climb through windows (when there's more than 5 beating on that door e.g. and it should take them a while), hell I think they should even occasionally figure out how to climb ladders...

And flies, oh yes. Bring back the flies! I heard flies yesterday down by the shore, so the sounds are in at least.

Edited by Beavis3D
  • Beans 1

On 2018-09-26 at 3:41 PM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

SbnAWgG.jpg

I think your wish has come true, I killed this guy near the Olsha chapel on Dwarden's experimental server a few minutes ago. He was wearing the robe but no headwear, sadly there were no more clergy zeds around Olsha...

79876247E1DBE858002032C724CB23E4934E2B95

• Beans 2

YES bring back the flies and figure out a way to make the bodies last longer, even if you have to do it like breaking point did.  I really really really hope the zombies are nowhere NEAR how they want them to be. It really sucks how silent the current dev team is about their vision/plans for changes compared to how vocal and passionate Hicks/Rocket was.

Edited by robbhimself