Marvel_Ham

Advance notice about character wipes?

I appreciate the constant rollout of updates and bug fixes, the game gets better incrementally. The more familiar I get with the mechanics and equipment, the better I get at preserving it through gameplay and stashing. In anticipation of future resets, is it out of the question to get a notification about a clearing of the database?

Why is it a big deal?

I work in software development so let's analyze something for a second.

Bugs get reported. Issues arise. Developers patch. They perform unit test on said patch. They roll out the patch. 

Users report pass.

Users report fail.

What is the best way to ensure max numbers pass? Wipe all data and start fresh.

It is part of a disclaimer on the game.

Please use the forums and perform research.

This information:

As the nature of the Experimental branch is for the above mentioned testing methods, neither uptime, character data, nor stability is guaranteed. Persistence/Character wipes are to be expected!

can be found here:

and considering as how xbox versions are under the experimental branch, these guidelines can be applied here.

Next time I suggest asking these questions before purchasing a beta release of a game. Roughly half of the people that own the game understand and accept these risks, or even bugs when buying. The other half expected a completed game and are frustrated.

If you have ever owned a game preview or beta release, you will understand that development is not final until 1.0 launch, things can change at any time, character data and saves can be wiped at any moment.

You are the client working in an environment that a developer uses daily. They can change stuff on the fly that you may not like but it may or may not be final. We play in developer semi-stable branches. We are not in a dev environment.

Please remember there are 4 environments.

Developer - where the iterative team resides

Quality Assurance - where dev team QA and PC stress testers are

User Acceptance Testing - where we are

Production - general development and testing by all parties has been completed, also known as 1.0 launch. We are at version v0.63.184. The first patch on console also a stable branch was v0.63.000. The last known stable branch (based on a pc player report) is v0.62.000

Edited by Bombarding
  • Like 1
  • Beans 3

I understand your frustrations as the game is very involving and attachment forming but development is tough and decisions on updates are made frequently and fast. Even if people were given 24hrs notice on forums and social media there would still be a backlash as 50% or more wouldn't see the notice. Plus of they warn people they'll stop playing till after the reset as they'll feel it's pointless and then tonnes of potential data and bug reporting used for development would be lost. It's a double edged sword where your damned if you do & if you don't. But as I said I fully understand your concerns, just feel proud that your championing and supporting a game through development and that your involvement in some way is helping grow as shape said product. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@BombardingI can see you are enthusiastic, but all I was looking for was a simple YES/NO about a head-up on character wipes, not that it is unexpected or even a big deal to me. You are well within your own rights to get as long-winded as you want, but reading is fundamental.

@TheYetiBumI'm all for it.

6 minutes ago, Marvel_Ham said:

@BombardingI can see you are enthusiastic, but all I was looking for was a simple YES/NO about a head-up on character wipes, not that it is unexpected or even a big deal to me. You are well within your own rights to get as long-winded as you want, but reading is fundamental.

@TheYetiBumI'm all for it.

Unfortunately as @pilgrim* knows. Sometimes these things needs to be spelled out, it may seem like it's a lot of information, but... many people post lackluster posts, comments, bugs and requests without research, so where most of us can, we provide you a full in depth answers, as it is not as always an binary as yes or no.

Some people still do not understand the versioning. They believe. V0.63.___ is stable branch where v0.63.000 is, however our current build v0.63.148 technically is not. There are also members on PC who claim v0.62.000 is the stable branch and v0.63.0, xbox launch version is not...

Anyway, enough on that. Just where we can fill in information we will try.

Therefore, rules and guidance dictated by the experimental branch parent forums can be applied here.

Edited by Bombarding
  • Beans 1

With advanced notice, what would you do? - just STOP playing and sit around for a couple of days waiting for it to happen, and then check to make sure you'd lost your character and your stuff? - or would you keep playing anyway right up to X hour, knowing that when you logged back in after X hour it would all be gone?

You know - in DayZ starting off on the beach in your underwear is not the WORST THING that can happen in the world - or HEY ! maybe it IS the Worst Thing.. but either way, if you play this game you are going to new spawn in your underwear REALLY 100s of Times (and throw away the damned flare 100s of times, and go get some rags for bandages... ) so there aint NO HARM in that.. it's an integral part of the game.. You WILL go through that freshspawn underwear stage REALLY REALLY a LOT of TIMES if you are a DayZ player ... so now 1 small bit of extra practice wont do you no harm.. will it ?  really ?

pinch of salt

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

With advanced notice, what would you do? - just stop playing and sit around for a couple of days waiting for it to happen, and then check to make sure you'd lost your character and your stuff? - or would you keep playing anyway right up to X hour, knowing that when you logged back in after X hour it would all be gone?

You know - in DayZ starting off on the beach in your underwear is not the WORST THING that can happen in the world - or HEY ! maybe it IS the Worst Thing.. but either way, if you play this game you are going to new spawn in your underwear REALLY 100s of Times (and throw away the damned flare 100s of times, and go get some rags for bandages... ) so there aint NO HARM in that.. it's an integral part of the game.. You WILL go through that freshspawn underwear stage REALLY REALLY a LOT of TIMES if you are a DayZ player ... so now 1 small bit of extra practice wont do you no harm.. will it ?  really ?

pinch of salt

I love your posts @pilgrim* and I love your attitude haha.

All we are saying OP is that, these random resets are tricky.

Personally I was travelling with a "friend" I got an SVD. He killed me by shot on the back for it. Next day.... I didnt wanna play I was so devastated. Guess what? 

Character reset.

*boom* drops mic. Karma bro!

Character wipes arent all bad

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bombarding said:

..//..
it is not as always as binary as yes or no.
..//..

Right - BI are now dealing with 2 different platforms- that's a major ongoing event, just for planning and assigning workload and looking at gameplay development tech, habitual assumptions, and dual platform file structures .. hmm  ??
I have a kind of suspicion that PC Experimental has been cut back to a nub, a core game.; with at least PARTLY the intention that that "core" will be "cleaned & checked" to be used on BOTH platforms - to provide the same experience on PC and Xbox.. and when THAT kind of cross platform stability is reached.. then add on all the missing bells and whistles stage by stage, to get both PC and Xbox back in parallel  to 0.62-0.63 .. the SAME game on each platform, and go on from there.. 

You develop "the game" to a fork.. when it reaches the fork it goes left and right to the Xbox platform and to the PC platform.. anything new you add in before the fork, and when the process is smoothly running, and the fork tech is in place, it comes out after the fork working on both versions...  

this is just an idea I have .. I talked it over with Yoda, he  may be right: ..  if that "cross-platform realignment of the core game" isn't "exactly" going on the design instructions for the file-by-file game you play (whatever you play on),  it for sure IS going on in the heads of the programmers. ... plus organisation & it comes to the same thing..

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Thanks 1

It's not like we can create a "character restore point". Unless we're just looking to play far more carelessly with our gear right before a wipe is to take place, I just don't see any real function of a warning...

• Like 1

Nice to have a notice like this next one. It will give some of us a chance to experiment and produce content.

• Like 1

They said last night they were wiping today so I was luckily enough close to Electro geared with 45 moison and an ak  so had 2 hours of fun shooting everyone that moved until I got shot myself.

If I wasn't shot when I was 5 mins later  I intended to suicide before I logged off