THYERS

Do blood bags work?

OK so I know the drill when it comes to blood bags, IV starter kits etc.  However on the 2 occasions I have given myself blood (My own blood I might add.), it doesnt seem to make much of a difference.

I got attacked by wolves and managed to fend them off after taking a few teeth to the face, I used 2 bandages and managed to stop the bleeding.  By this point I had almost lost all colour, I gave myself a transfusion and then what looked like a pill, appeared next to my health (+) and my blood actually started to go down while this symbol was there.  I applied as many bandages as I could, until the pill symbol disappeared and my blood started to go up.  The time from when I gave myself blood and I returned to full colour was a while.  The same thing happened when I first gave myself blood, if it was the wrong blood type then I would understand, but this was blood I took from myself.

Next time I plan to use a Saline bag to see if anything different happens but I just thought I would ask if anyone else is experiencing the same thing and if it is normal.

So you need a blood bag and then combine with an iv kit. Idk what you do with the saline, you may combine with the already combined blood bag and iv kit.

Now, how it's supposed to work in practice is like this..

You get into a major gunfight. You have flashing red health. Bandaging would only get you to solid red. You need to do a transfusion and restore blood. Then you can morphine, bandage etc to get to full. Now in theory there is a direct correlation between blood and health. Actually on the mod blood was your health. I'm not sure if you can have a solid white health meter with a red blood meter. If you can this is when it will come into play.

Much like the morphine, and even the dirty water to an extent, it isnt fully implemented. They have noted you can be sick from eating raw food, or drinking pond water without purifying, but the effects are minimal. I have noticed if you're sick your water drains way faster, but not enough to make it game changing.

Now, morphine is used to fix broken bones, then bandage to return full. Blood transfusions are used to get yourself back to a stable blood level.

How this gets implemented and shown on screen, I'm not sure. But it is good practice to atleast start these process now.

So say for example you get into a major gunfight and you win, if you can, it would be good process to get somewhere safe, bandage, do a blood transfusion, bandage again and sit tight for 30s, as that is how long it would take to fully heal and be stable.

So long story short, it's not in game, but coming. So better to practice now and know what to do when ImpulZ posts the weekly xbox status update/changelog, you know what to expect... than to not even know blood bags are in the game and what they do when the update comes.

Edited by Bombarding
  • Like 2

Yep basically not fully implemented yet, they've changed a lot from the MOD & 0.62 so there probably still working on balancing on internal builds before rolling it out. Nice to see someone experimenting though. I tried a morphine auto injector after being shot and it nothing , knew it removed broken legs before without the use of a splint but figured I'd test for any changes. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheYetiBum said:

Yep basically not fully implemented yet, they've changed a lot from the MOD & 0.62 so there probably still working on balancing on internal builds before rolling it out. Nice to see someone experimenting though. I tried a morphine auto injector after being shot and it nothing , knew it removed broken legs before without the use of a splint but figured I'd test for any changes. 

Whether it works or not, like I said in my response to OP...

Be in the practice of doing it now, so when it comes it is simply second nature.

Plus I think the blood bag and the morphine with thin the herd a bit. They are so focused on running to tents, and here we are going straight for hospitals. It will be a new elements to prepare for.

Edited by Bombarding
  • Like 1

Yep couldn't agree more, I'm purifyng water and cooking meat and mushrooms in a pot etc just to get used to that aspect once it arrives. Also favouring water proof clothing or carrying a water proof alternate jacket & trying to stay dry in general through storms. Taking clothes of Infront of fire to dry them. I've heard the next update on PC for experimental is full disease and weather effects update so trying to prepare for that

Edited by TheYetiBum
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

Last I checked when the bloodbags were working, you could only use on another survivor, not yourself.

• Beans 1

I have a medibag with my own blood and bandages in. So basically from reading everything here I should throw the blood as it won't do anything when I'm Injured?

Edited by CarlTheGooner

10 hours ago, TheYetiBum said:

Yep couldn't agree more, I'm purifyng water and cooking meat and mushrooms in a pot etc just to get used to that aspect once it arrives. Also favouring water proof clothing or carrying a water proof alternate jacket & trying to stay dry in general through storms. Taking clothes of Infront of fire to dry them. I've heard the next update on PC for experimental is full disease and weather effects update so trying to prepare for that

I really should start doing this. I drink dirty water and eat raw sheep. Bahhh

Edited by CarlTheGooner

12 hours ago, THYERS said:

OK so I know the drill when it comes to blood bags, IV starter kits etc.  However on the 2 occasions I have given myself blood (My own blood I might add.), it doesnt seem to make much of a difference.

I got attacked by wolves and managed to fend them off after taking a few teeth to the face, I used 2 bandages and managed to stop the bleeding.  By this point I had almost lost all colour, I gave myself a transfusion and then what looked like a pill, appeared next to my health (+) and my blood actually started to go down while this symbol was there.  I applied as many bandages as I could, until the pill symbol disappeared and my blood started to go up.  The time from when I gave myself blood and I returned to full colour was a while.  The same thing happened when I first gave myself blood, if it was the wrong blood type then I would understand, but this was blood I took from myself.

Next time I plan to use a Saline bag to see if anything different happens but I just thought I would ask if anyone else is experiencing the same thing and if it is normal.

Thank you for reporting this. This is a bug with the sickness system that causes a hemolytic reaction when you give yourself blood. It is acknowledged and the team is working on a fix.

Edited by ImpulZ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Beans 1

3 hours ago, ImpulZ said:

Thank you for reporting this. This is a bug with the sickness system that causes a hemolytic reaction when you give yourself blood. It is acknowledged and the team is working on a fix.

Thanks for the feedback, am I to assume that when the issue is fixed we will be able to blood bag ourselves?

12 minutes ago, THYERS said:

Thanks for the feedback, am I to assume that when the issue is fixed we will be able to blood bag ourselves?

Yes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

yeah f*** blood tranfusions get on the tactical bacon bro that shit will save your liiiiiife time and time again

• Haha 1

found a quite a few blood test kits, they do not seem to work on self (sometimes? - no notification?) have not tested on another player.

it would be worth noting in rl bloodbags have a use-by-date. Chilled to extend life (42 days). I have had my bloodbag for a week now an not had the need to use it yet - of course that depends on play style. Point being its still in my medi pack, unused. Better to have it an not need it than not have it I guess. Wolves can take quite a bite, which is pretty cool - so if a pack catch me off guard, I would maybe have a use for my bloodbag - I'll find out properly and test it - if an when I get shot at by another player...well maybe lol ho wonder if I can lay prone swing round and shoot myself in the foot! hmmm :D

4 hours ago, dynodunk69 said:

found a quite a few blood test kits, they do not seem to work on self (sometimes? - no notification?) have not tested on another player.

It actually does show you, but the UI needs to be fixed.

If you look at your blood icon without a test, it will just be a blood icon and is blank.

If you test and look at your blood icon, you can just make out half of each symbol. So for me, I tested myself and it shows O+. I have yet to die, so it remains. 

It is there, PM your blood icon, but it is a little tricky to read. If you test someone else, they will see the same result, however you will not know what their blood is. I would like to know what the blood is of someone incase they are knocked out and need a transfusion, but that may come later.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2018 at 1:52 AM, TheYetiBum said:

This is good practice, i have been cooking my meat and mushrooms on a stick on a fire, how do you place food into a pot? I have tried micromanaging food into it but it doesnt seem to work for me.....

2 hours ago, Los Bandito said:

This is good practice, i have been cooking my meat and mushrooms on a stick on a fire, how do you place food into a pot? I have tried micromanaging food into it but it doesnt seem to work for me.....

If you hold the pit in your hands and use the combine button B on the food you want to add, just remember to also fill the pot with water aswell which you do the same as a bottle or canteen, just hold RT when looking at water. The food burns without the water. Pots are useful as you can fill them with water and drink out of them & still store anything in them at the same time as they have slots separate to the water slot. There heavy but at least this makes them functional. Cook for 1min 30sec if your cooking meat and/or mushrooms, apples etc. Hope this helps 

On 26/09/2018 at 6:19 PM, Bombarding said:

It actually does show you, but the UI needs to be fixed.

If you look at your blood icon without a test, it will just be a blood icon and is blank.

If you test and look at your blood icon, you can just make out half of each symbol. So for me, I tested myself and it shows O+. I have yet to die, so it remains. 

It is there, PM your blood icon, but it is a little tricky to read. If you test someone else, they will see the same result, however you will not know what their blood is. I would like to know what the blood is of someone incase they are knocked out and need a transfusion, but that may come later.

Oh yes I see it now thanks