SaltyySapper

Right or Wrong?

When is it alright to engage a new face in DayZ? My group has taken up a new “Tactic” if you will when dealing with new faces. 

1) Run up get gunned up.

2) If there weapon is out it’s time to shout.

What is everyone else’s tactics in this scenario?

Shoot everyone on sight before they shoot me. I'm not spending 3 days getting the best gear in the game for some sap to shoot me in the back. It's happend before. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, not happening. I also spent 4 days on the same character to be silent snipped. There are much more people shooting on sight than there are being friendly, I'm not losing everything to find out if they're friendly.

• Like 1

Depends. If I have a clear advantage, or I can get myself into an advantageous position, then I'll talk to them. If they put their gun away, then I'll have a conversation, if not, then I take them out. I'll always talk to fresh spawns, give food or drink if they need it etc, but if they have a gun, the second they point it at me, they are going down. 

I prefer to get an interaction, but I'm not going to take too many chances. 

Even geared guys I will still try to talk to if I can get into a position where I can do so safely. If there is no way to get an advantage, then I'll wait for them to leave the area, or if I get shot at first, then it is no mercy and I'll take them out. 

By the way, @CarlTheGooner, you're gonna have to get used to the fact you're gonna die.You'll get ambushed, sniped, and you'll die from glitches. It happens. The biggest advice anyone can give is don;t get attached to your character or your gear. The game is not as fun if you spend all your time playing far too passive or just shoot everyone you see. I find the real memorable times and the most fun comes from interacting with players. Sure, there are times it turns out bad, but it's not the hardest thing in the world to gear up again. 

Try talking to people. It may go wrong but you'll have more memorable experiences

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Im pretty aggressive when it comes to others as im never with a group. You have about 5 seconds to respond to my command of putting gun away or you're getting one in the dome. If unarmed you have the benefit of following me to a house and dropping your loot. I dont need anything besides ammo morphine and some low weight green boots. If you respond well you may find a gift in your bag and will be on your way. It really depends on them and the area. Military bases are KOS unless I feel comfortable in my position which is rare like if they walk right past me and im right behind them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarlTheGooner said:

Shoot everyone on sight before they shoot me. I'm not spending 3 days getting the best gear in the game for some sap to shoot me in the back. It's happend before. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, not happening. I also spent 4 days on the same character to be silent snipped. There are much more people shooting on sight than there are being friendly, I'm not losing everything to find out if they're friendly.

Yup. Same.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Myles Gibson said:

Depends. If I have a clear advantage, or I can get myself into an advantageous position, then I'll talk to them. If they put their gun away, then I'll have a conversation, if not, then I take them out. I'll always talk to fresh spawns, give food or drink if they need it etc, but if they have a gun, the second they point it at me, they are going down. 

Even geared guys I will still try to talk to if I can get into a position where I can do so safely. If there is no way to get an advantage, then I'll wait for them to leave the area, or if I get shot at first, then it is no mercy and I'll take them out. 

By the way, @CarlTheGooner, you're gonna have to get used to the fact you're gonna die.You'll get ambushed, sniped, and you'll die from glitches. It happens. The biggest advice anyone can give is don;t get attached to your character or your gear. The game is not as fun if you spend all your time playing far too passive or just shoot everyone you see. I find the real memorable times and the most fun comes from interacting with players. Sure, there are times it turns out bad, but it's not the hardest thing in the world to gear up again. 

Try talking to people. It may go wrong but you'll have more memorable experiences

Not sure I understand? I'm used to the fact I'm gonna die, I don't get attached. I've died enough pal. There's a big difference between dying in combat and getting messed over by someone who pretends to be friendly and isn't. In mine and my mates experience everyone we've met has attempted to kill us, usually after pretending to be friendly. I'm going from experience. This isn't the pc not is Minder or running man RP servers...

2 hours ago, SaltyySapper said:

When is it alright to engage a new face in DayZ? My group has taken up a new “Tactic” if you will when dealing with new faces. 

1) Run up get gunned up.

2) If there weapon is out it’s time to shout.

What is everyone else’s tactics in this scenario?

The 1st one is fair enough, most people will shoot if someone comes running at them but the 2nd kinda sucks for those that can’t put their gun away cuz their bag is full and already have another weapon holstered. (I’m not dropping anything unless I volunteer to do so) If you’re in a group why not spread out and surround them and let them know it, they might get one of you if they have the cheek but most wouldn’t if they knew they’d die an instant later. Groups always have advantage, If you or a friend get copped then your group can take your gear to wherever you spawn, a benefit not everyone has. 

@Chris Burton I personally would rather die than follow a strangers order, someone points a gun At me and says ‘drop it’ then rest assured I’m gunna shoot with the knowledge that I’m pretty much done for. 

42 minutes ago, Eeyeoretherealone said:

@Chris Burton I personally would rather die than follow a strangers order, someone points a gun At me and says ‘drop it’ then rest assured I’m gunna shoot with the knowledge that I’m pretty much done for. 

Fair enough but I offer the chance. If I was going to KOS i wouldnt have spoke and just filled them up with lead so im hoping they can atleast see that. I already have the advantage of knowing where you are at while you dont know where I am. Lose a little loot or lose it all. I couldnt imagine someone giving you warning then shooting you but then again it wouldnt be DayZ if there werent some jackasses. Gotta be pretty bad to make them drop their weapon or put away and then unload but it also is kind of smart. Take all possibility of death away I guess lol

Edited by Chris Burton
Spelling
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chris Burton said:

Fair enough but I offer the chance. If I was going to KOS i wouldnt have spoke and just filled them up with lead so im hoping they can atleast see that. I already have the advantage of knowing where you are at while you dont know where I am. Lose a little loot or lose it all. I couldnt imagine someone giving you warning then shooting you but then again it wouldnt be DayZ if there werent some jackasses. Gotta be pretty bad to make them drop their weapon or put away and then unload but it also is kind of smart. Take all possibility of death away I guess lol

I put it down to a bad experience getting mugged on pc then mugged and killed 5min later by a seperate group. I can’t let it slide and would rather force their hand, I’m kinda ok with dying now lol

3 hours ago, Eeyeoretherealone said:

I put it down to a bad experience getting mugged on pc then mugged and killed 5min later by a seperate group. I can’t let it slide and would rather force their hand, I’m kinda ok with dying now lol

I get like yhat after being fully geared and alive for several days.  Start taking risks you wouldnt normally take. Sorry you had a bad experiance but on xbox its pretty much theyll open fire right away or try to talk. I havent been betrayed yet but I play lone wolf and the short interactions I have im the one with the gun out so betrayel would be futile

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Burton said:

I get like yhat after being fully geared and alive for several days.  Start taking risks you wouldnt normally take. Sorry you had a bad experiance but on xbox its pretty much theyll open fire right away or try to talk. I havent been betrayed yet but I play lone wolf and the short interactions I have im the one with the gun out so betrayel would be futile

Yeah I’ve been KoS a few times on Xbox, only had 1 friendly encounter as I lone wolf it too, even had a turd wait to open fire at me from long grass when I pulled out a pipsi and had a drink so he was maximising his chance for an easy kill lol. 

I’m happy to talk to folk in game but I’ll never surrender and if anyone wants my gear it’s gonna be an over my dead body situation hehe

Unless someone has gun out or is obviously a KOS player dressed with red armband and clown mask etc then I'll approach and talk to them. I'd never kill and unarmed player and have given many weapons, direction and food/water etc to fresh spawns or other kitted players who wanted to trade. I've met several guys ingame who were cool. The KOS mentality just perpetuates itself until someone has the balls to have a chat, but the whole poit of DayZ is choice and emergent gameplay so any play style is okay by me. But just like PC eventually the non comms bandits and KOS players fade away to other games and player to player interactions of more interest will occur more frequently. But tbh the server I play on has loads of players who only play on that server and are super friendly & it's always packed and fills up so fast after a reset too.

Generally I'll give people a chance to say something and i make them aware I'm there.  If after a few attempts to communicate there is no response then I consider them hostile (Which I also tell them.).

I've had mostly good encounters doing this and have made some friends along the way.  Only one of my friends list plays DayZ but I now have a handful of people to play with.

If someone tries to shoot, run up on me or raise guns then it is on!

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

On 9/22/2018 at 11:02 AM, Myles Gibson said:

I completely agree with you.

This is essentially how I play as well. I’ve given Bambi’s water and food, had conversations with geared people at mil bases.

I don’t blame people for kos on sight out of fear, though like you said, don’t get attached to your toon.

I find the risk of playing the hero much more fun than mindlessly killing. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Nayte said:

I completely agree with you.

This is essentially how I play as well. I’ve given Bambi’s water and food, had conversations with geared people at mil bases.

I don’t blame people for kos on sight out of fear, though like you said, don’t get attached to your toon.

I find the risk of playing the hero much more fun than mindlessly killing. 

Well done my dude, I'm the same. But to be honest I'm a little loot goblin so I'm up for player interaction all the time because if I die I get to loot up again lol 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TheYetiBum said:

Well done my dude, I'm the same. But to be honest I'm a little loot goblin so I'm up for player interaction all the time because if I die I get to loot up again lol 

Exactly, we must be kindred spirits, you and I.

• Like 2