bent.toe

What is your prefered gear? (Not weapons)

I'm talking clothes and head gear.

So most of you go all in on military? Or do you prefer the Chernarus police uniforms? Or maybe lumberjack fashion with plaid shirt and rugged boots?

I prefer the firefighter outfit (black one) with a white helmet.

Personally I use clothes to show my play style on that character.

Black Jacket and Pants with Black Beret for me is hero

Gorka Military with boonie is Bandit

TTsKo Military with boonie is Sniper and Counter Sniper

Blue Camo is Mercenary

White Hunting Jacket and Pants is for for Hero Hunter.

Camo Hunting Jacket and Pants is for Bandit Hunter.

Black Fire Fighter is for friendly.

Red rain coat with black pants and red boonie hat is for KOS bandit

I dont normally where helmets but my preference is the old school knight helm or a boonie hat.

Edited by Bombarding

Hunting or military gear...camo as preference. 

I really dont know how people can say this is for this or that lol 

1 hour ago, Bombarding said:

Personally I use clothes to show my play style on that character.

Black Jacket and Pants with Black Beret for me is hero

Gorka Military with boonie is Bandit

TTsKo Military with boonie is Sniper and Counter Sniper

Blue Camo is Mercenary

White Hunting Jacket and Pants is for for Hero Hunter.

Camo Hunting Jacket and Pants is for Bandit Hunter.

Black Fire Fighter is for friendly.

Red rain coat with black pants and red boonie hat is for KOS bandit

I dont normally where helmets but my preference is the old school knight helm or a boonie hat.

you don't have 'payday masks' yet on Xbox ??  .. that's the bog-standard play-style total giveaway on PC..  When you see a damned lunatic in a clown mask you know their play style is  A Damned Lunatic in a Clown Mask

Edited by pilgrim*

59 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

you don't have 'payday masks' yet on Xbox ??  .. that's the bog-standard play-style total giveaway on PC..  When you see a damned lunatic in a clown mask you know their play style is  A Damned Lunatic in a Clown Mask

Yes we do :) Obvious bandit headwear of choice :P

4 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

When you see a damned lunatic in a clown mask you know their play style is  A Damned Lunatic in a Clown Mask

Haha so true

• Beans 1

The m whatever jacket, ttsko pants, low hiking boots, designer sunglasses, tortilla backpack, high cap vest, and olive drab motorcycle helmet

4 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

This is why I never wear those masks. I wanna have a system I recognize, not others.

Bandit masks us too much a giveaway about your role

2 hours ago, Bombarding said:

This is why I never wear those masks. I wanna have a system I recognize, not others.

Bandit masks us too much a giveaway about your role

totally - and their age and attitude too maybe? (no offense). But ALSO I don't like a fully geared up player wearing all coordinated mil gear - I wouldn't talk to them, for sure.. and SPECIALLY I don't like 2 or 3 players wearing ALL the SAME coordinated gear..  First instinct.. really INSTINCT.; is to get under cover, observe, work round, check I have a good rout away.. then shoot one in till he drops and leave the scene fast back to the deep woods.  Don't know why.. 

How come so-called mil teams ALMOST totally NEVER work a real overwatch? .. your mil team without an overwatch and one flanker is just fancy dress, people. The local hill-tribes  will take your boots while they are still warm. (why don't you KNOW that?)

Edited by pilgrim*

45 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

totally - and their age and attitude too maybe? (no offense). But ALSO I don't like a fully geared up player wearing all coordinated mil gear - I wouldn't talk to them, for sure.. and SPECIALLY I don't like 2 or 3 players wearing ALL the SAME coordinated gear..  First instinct.. really INSTINCT.; is to get under cover, observe, work round, check I have a good rout away.. then shoot one in till he drops and leave the scene fast back to the deep woods.  Don't know why.. 

How come so-called mil teams ALMOST totally NEVER work a real overwatch? .. your mil team without an overwatch and one flanker is just fancy dress, people. The local hill-tribes  will take your boots while they are still warm. (why don't you KNOW that?)

I think it's just the mentality of the players. Like I totally agree on the 2 or 3 people squads wearing qll same gear. Without a mask that screams KOS bandit.

Personally at that point I'd have 1 person as overwatch. 1 flank, 1 push. But hey whatever. 

Yesterday I got shot by a guy who missed like 10 shots. He tagged me once, but his aim was buns. He easily could have waited until we stopped again or gone for a headshot but he pushed us, so I camped a Bush and tagged him 2x, and guess what, he combat logged. It's funny how playing over aggressive is so predictable. 

I too dont like the identical military tribes but they lack basic instinct. So if you can get them to a choke point it's easy defense. The tactical squads which you dont see alot of, those are of course the real worry.

My thought is, if your playing aggressively, at least have the kahones to stick through the fight. Win or lose. If you're playing aggressively, dont waste all our time and combat log.

• Beans 1

I died twice today from KOS....starting to get tedious.

If you see a bunch of players wearing army clothes, it doesn't mean anything regards their personality. It only gives away the fact they have been to a military base. Maybe they are hyped to pop you, maybe not. You can wear a dress and travel light and give headshots to whoever says "Hey mate, you friendly?" Boom. And you take his beans.

The only way to survive for long is to move undercover, observe the players and find out if they have a group and how they behave. You will be amazed by the horrors kids are capable of, and how many nice players with army camo or glaring red/orange/green backpacks and helmets are hiding out there.

Clothes got nothing to do with it.

• Beans 2

1 hour ago, bent.toe said:

I died twice today from KOS....starting to get tedious.

5 hours ago, Bombarding said:

I think it's just the mentality of the players. Like I totally agree on the 2 or 3 people squads wearing qll same gear. Without a mask that screams KOS bandit.

Personally at that point I'd have 1 person as overwatch. 1 flank, 1 push. But hey whatever. 

Yesterday I got shot by a guy who missed like 10 shots. He tagged me once, but his aim was buns. He easily could have waited until we stopped again or gone for a headshot but he pushed us, so I camped a Bush and tagged him 2x, and guess what, he combat logged. It's funny how playing over aggressive is so predictable. 

I too dont like the identical military tribes but they lack basic instinct. So if you can get them to a choke point it's easy defense. The tactical squads which you dont see alot of, those are of course the real worry.

My thought is, if your playing aggressively, at least have the kahones to stick through the fight. Win or lose. If you're playing aggressively, dont waste all our time and combat log.

6 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Lads, Yous are all sensible, well respected players/forum members but youre all hypocritical here and barking up at the same tree your running from.

You say, you need uniforms to identify players; a system of some sorts and/or moan about bandits or certain players KOSing but on the same hand yous are saying when I see guys in milly gear and/or masks I Shoot them? 

Can only have 1 or the other...In my book, dont judge by the cover and just observe or move on. Shooting fully kitted milly guys because they are suspected KOSers or bandits by looks totally shits on the point? See what I'm saying?  Players will dress and play as they want and majority of actions cant be determined by appearance.

A faction i recently met with are all mainly in camo milly gear and some even masks but they are the lesst likely people to KOS, I know 100% we dont even open up unless fired upon or threatened...but if you guys saw us; by your logic.. You'd shoot first and then we'd have to react.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tarkules said:

If you see a bunch of players wearing army clothes, it doesn't mean anything regards their personality. It only gives away the fact they have been to a military base. Maybe they are hyped to pop you, maybe not. You can wear a dress and travel light and give headshots to whoever says "Hey mate, you friendly?" Boom. And you take his beans.

The only way to survive for long is to move undercover, observe the players and find out if they have a group and how they behave. You will be amazed by the horrors kids are capable of, and how many nice players with army camo or glaring red/orange/green backpacks and helmets are hiding out there.

Clothes got nothing to do with it.

This guy knows....

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Powell x91 said:

..//..You say, you need uniforms to identify players; a system of some sorts and/or moan about bandits or certain players KOSing but on the same hand yous are saying when I see guys in milly gear and/or masks I Shoot them? 

Players will dress and play as they want and majority of actions cant be determined by appearance. ..//..

Hi there - it was ME - not the others - who see myself as an opponent =IN GAME =of military style squads.. I totally DO NOT care how other players get their kicks in the game as long as they are Legal and not exploiting/hacking ... DayZ has NO Rules about "how to play".. that is the good thing about DayZ: there is no winning strategy, you do whatever you feel, see how it plays out. And dress how you like, or wear whatever you find, there are advantages and disadvantages to each piece of kit.. not just visual.

Personally - Im a countryman, a solo player, and when I see "military style folk"  penetrating into MY Territory in MY country I do what any self-respecting Mujahideen would do.. or what any self respecting Declaration of Independence backswoodman would do if they saw a bunch of Brit Redcoats coming up the trail. So natch, if I go down onto the main highways or into the towns (into THEIR territory), I expect to be shot at, tricked or murdered.. I'd be crazy if I didnt expect trouble. OK ? - and so would they.

In the PC game there is a wider choice of dress and weapons.. If I find a player wearing all buckskin (you can craft that on PC) carrying a hunting/sniping rifle, or other 'unusual' kit.. I think he has set himself up for his style of play - not only to LOOK like anything, but because it works and that's how he plays.. Personally I like an assault vest because it is USEFUL .. but I also know a "worn" yellow raincoat gives pretty good camo (believe it or not) - but if it's new it stands out far off.  So If I see folk who are <totally geared up from military barracks> I guess I know how THEY play too.. I sure know where they're coming from.

Say, for instance you see a guy on the coast road carrying a fire extinguisher and dressed badly, with a kiddy backpack:  they "very probably" have more game experience than an axe freak with a mask. (IMO) .. so act accordingly..

So, in the game I make my own decisions, sometimes I don't even know why.. I have objectives when I start a session, a place to go - and I go there .. and stuff happens on the way. I decide I want a Longhorn pistol (takes 308 ammo and it comes WITH a good useful scope already attached) so I go looking for one. If I meet a payday mask or a wandering lost person or an organized squad, or I come across some hidden tents or a working truck parked out of sight, I act accordingly.. How those players see themselves or WHY that stuff is there, is ALL part of the game.. if a tent is full of mil gear I am kind of "anti",  but it has half a can of beans and a couple of 'worn' kit and a piece of rope and 2 worms, I am kind of "pro".. I leave them a can or two, or some NICE cooked steaks, see if they Notice.. In the old game I used to hunt helicopters, not build them. Hit them on the ground or in the air, I don't care. <I'm that kind of guy, don't KNOW why>. I aint even a RP fan.

If I'm suddenly Dead.. then I guess that was a sniper. Respect to that player. Running through the woods I get two shots in the back, dead, someone trailed me and I wasn't taking the precautions and not looking back and around enough, not lying up, not backtracking, not changing direction .. careless of me. (that has happened 1 time in 1500 hours). My fault.  Never saw how the player was dressed, but he played OK. respect. (still MY fault though).

On PC, the players with mil kit and assault weapons are generally into a mil and assault manner of play. I'm into a resistance and backwoods/dirt tracks/country/village manner of play. DayZ needs both - the more styles of play the better for the game (sure, need psycho-killers too). If you watch a player/group for 2 minutes from cover you can pretty often TELL their playstyle just by the way they move.  If they run around anywhere they are probably "kidz" - if they put a player on a roof with a long rifle, time to rethink my attitude. One general rule is to be more unexpected than the other player/s  (hmm?)

To see the range of different  kit that is in the PC game you can do worse than look here. This list is out of date now  but it gives you an idea of whats coming into Xbox. Other pages on the wiki are useful too : but take it under advisement.

https://dayz.gamepedia.com/Clothing

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
eg: check "Leather Storage Vest".. (how to craft it on PC)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

.. if a tent is full of mil gear I am kind of "anti",  but it has half a can of beans and a couple of 'worn' kit and a piece of rope and 2 worms, I am kind of "pro".. I leave them a can or two, or some NICE cooked steaks, see if they Notice..

Like!

GG

• Beans 1

Black berret

Designer sunglasses

Black riders jacket

Black cargo pants

Black alice backpack

gorka anything

boonie, beret, soviet cap or russian winter cap of any kind

jungle boots

assault or tortilla backpack

assault vest 

M65 Jacket

BDU pants

boonie hat

assault backpack and vest

and randomly sneakers to keep it light. I do not KOS even though I am in full military garb besides the sneakers.

BTW does any of the clothing in Xbox provide protection from ballistics, melee, etc.? For example, does the helmet provide some protection from headshots (same with ballistic vest for body shots and melee)? 

With a helmet you can take a shot to the head from a mosin and survive