Skruffy

Trust only who you know (Story)

Well, I guess let me start out with saying I dont want pity, just sharing my experiences and take it as a lesson.

So I have been playing DayZ with my best friend, having a blast. We met someone while broadcasting who was genuinely cool (sure you see where this is going). We played with him for about a week, looting up NWA, Stary, going out of our way to group up as a squad, the 3 of us. He was a pretty stand up guy. Defended us in gunfights, we shot people together. He grabs an svd, and we go sniping. Me with a mosin. Get rushed by 4 bandits, killed. Try to get gear again, killed because the bandits were looting up again after dying, all that.

So the other day we are relooting. My best friend and I find our dream loadouts. I had a Mosin, no scope, USG45 with 6 mags, plenty of ammo, 10 cans of bacon, can openers, my all black outfit, and 6 bandages. My friend with a scoped and suppressed AK, ammo, food, water, all that.

So a very kind user on here, meets up with me to drop me the scope for my mosin, well he also drops the 1 gun I've been looking for since launch, the SVD. I've been to 7 crash sites, 6 of them were just smoke and no heli. So I was really excited. Got my scope and 4 mags fully loaded, with 5 box of 7.62x54 ammo. Well I link up with this dude (the "genuine") as we usually do after my best friend goes to bed. We loot and all that like normal, and I'm bringing him over to my friend so we can squad up tomorrow. Well, it turns out, as we were walking, and I always found it weird why I had to lead, he never was in front, I ignored it. Well, basically I should have never become relaxed. 2 weeks looking for my dream loadout, and 3 hours after having it, killed, with 3 akm rounds by my supposed "friend". I die and he doesnt answer for a few min. So I leave the party, frustrated. He invites me back and says, dude I saved your SVD, the mags and your water. So pissed off. I just say, you know what, keep it. You've earned it bandit, and lost a traveling partner.

Moral of the story: guess you really cannot trust anyone that you meet. Only the people who you knew prior to DayZ. Anyway, it sucks, I've calmed down. Probably wont have that loadout for a while, but yes. I'm trying to fight the urge to go full bandit. This kind of stuff pisses me off. I know it's a game and all, but man, when you die like this, it just tears away at you. Anyway, I learned my lesson. Back to being a lone wolf I suppose. Take it as a lesson new players, dont be overly trusting, because as I've just seen, the best bandits will play your friend, and rob you when you least expect it.

On the flip side, he said before I left that hes incredibly sorry and will return gear, and he thought he had an unloaded mp5 in his hands, but its whatever. Bless the person who gave me the SVD, but I do believe in karma and such. And that may have been a bad SVD. Anyway, it was fun to fire off the 1 shot that i did and blow my ears out, but hey, we move on. 

Anyway, hope you guys learned something and yea, day or 2 off and I'll be back to looting and such. Good luck

• Beans 2

dude im sorry to hear this, why would he do this? make to staroye buddy and i got bug out bag for you

• Like 2

Damn. That guy was on the long con, unless he succumbed to the temptation of the SVD you had. Either way, weak character on his part. Always follow two rules. Never get attached and always watch your back.

I've been running with a guy I met in prox chat since the second day of release. He is genuinely cool, like the guy in your story. I made a point to ask questions and start conversations to gauge his moral compass in the game. Luckily we tread the same way. We've since made a middle finger emote promise to hold our game morals and always watch each others back. Always be poking and prodding for info. You'd be surprised how many situations you can turn knowing your audience and leading conversations. That's what I love about this game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lol I had same experience 2 times but suvived it both. First time I was with a guy who met me in air field. I tell him Im ciming into view but he still shoots. He claims omg i cant believe shot you. It does not kill me but I empty my M4 into dude for being moron. Second experience was with a large group of 9+ people. We change servers 3 times due to cennectivty but some how there is always a sniper outside the building we using for cover. In end only me and 4 remain. I just mow down the 4 of them because ones the mole. I get them all and kill the mole because he rushes me trying to get revenge. It turns out it was one of the people who first joined party and was buddies with host. Lesson learned trust no one and kill all if you even suspect anything. I the type of player to talk first when encountering players because I dont like bandits in world but will not tolerate traitors. Lol if I supect it

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

Feels bad man, part of the survivor dynamic though. That's what makes DayZ so good, the survivors & uncertainty make the game really. Sorry to hear your plight thought, especially because you'd partied up & he still scumbagged you, which is a step beyond RP'ing as a long con bandit. To restore your faith in people , If I talk ingame and assure someone I'm friendly I mean it. If I run with friends or am in a party I always warn any survivors I'm with that I'm with friends who may be unpredictable and that I can't vouch for there behaviour or avoid them as much as possible. But tbh if I'm playing solo even with a decked out character I'll always risk losing it all to try & help/befriend a freshish looking survivor.with so little actionable content ingame right now it seems pointless to KOS constantly or half ass role play as a traitor/bandit. I don't mind real bandits but large squads in party chat just mowing down unarmed fresh spawns with no comms is more disappointing than frustrating, hopefully when the ingame prox/party chat isn't bugged this meta will change abit. Hope you have better luck in the future, the joy if the game is that if you do get scumbagged you can always give properly role playing as a bandit a go until you feel guilty and then switch back to another play style or role. Aslong as your not a complete A-hole and actually hold someone up and give them the full bandit experience lol. But I'll always be a friendly at heart

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

11 hours ago, Mixeorite said:

dude im sorry to hear this, why would he do this? make to staroye buddy and i got bug out bag for you

10 hours ago, Pullinga Willson said:

Damn. That guy was on the long con, unless he succumbed to the temptation of the SVD you had. Either way, weak character on his part. Always follow two rules. Never get attached and always watch your back

Well, I dont honestly believe he was in for the long con. Yes we both had been searching to complete our kit for a while, but i think it was more spontaneous. 

@Mixeorite this was actually just about an hour after you and I met. I messaged him saying I got that PSU scope you dropped me, and so I went to drop it off. He claimed it was an accident and said I thought I had my mp5 out, which had no mag and he didnt have ammo for. But that begs the question if he was pulling the trigger on anything just for fun, why was it aimed at me in the first place.

Then upon shooting me, the sign that he did rob me, was he didnt speak for like 2 min. He shot me, and I waited for an explanation. Not a word he said. So after I left he sent messages. He said he only was able to recover the SVD and mags. (Yea okay) so I said. If you're really sorry record a clip of you committing suicide with the SVD. It never happened. So yea.

Like at the end of the day, that's the fastest way to make solid, hero characters go on a rampage lol.

Why he did it, I have no idea. Whether it truly was an accident or intentional, guess we will never know. Just goes to show you gotta be careful.

As my best friend just texted me "Greed can drive anyone in the other direction". So I guess I'm just gonna stay away from the SVD. For whatever reason it has bad juju with it.

I'll be running lone wolf for a bit @Mixeorite but when I get back up to that area I'll let you know. This experience wasnt enough to become a rogue bandit, but I will get my revenge somehow lololol.

Think it's time to start burying some backpacks

man, unfortunately, I was helping a newcomer about 2 hours after I met you. I guided him through the woods and showed him some good loot spots and kept him alive with food and water and he even offered some of his loot for comp. But i turned it down because I wasn't doing it for the loot I was doing it too better enrich the playing community of survivors. so we went from elecktro to stary sobor with no issues, and then said he had to go and thanked me and i went to log out and boom he domed me, and left the party. I invited him back to the party, to no avail for 15 mins and then he joins laughing saying sorry man, I'm scum. I just had to laugh it off but I miss my 4 mask collection I was too scared to stash due to server reset lost.... lol I dont mind bandits but I hate liars and fakes.

Edited by Mixeorite
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mixeorite said:

man, unfortunately, I was helping a newcomer about 2 hours after I met you. I guided him through the woods and showed him some good loot spots and kept him alive with food and water and he even offered some of his loot for comp. But i turned it down because I wasn't doing it for the loot I was doing it too better enrich the playing community of survivors. so we went from elecktro to stary sobor with no issues, and then said he had to go and thanked me and i went to log out and boom he domed me, and left the party. I invited him back to the party, to no avail for 15 mins and then he joins laughing saying sorry man, I'm scum. I just had to laugh it off but I miss my 4 mask collection I was too scared to stash due to server reset lost.... lol I dont mind bandits but I hate liars and fakes.

7 hours ago, Mixeorite said:

looks like i lost everything today anyhow lol I just logged in  

Yessir @Mixeorite loads of lessons learned about the future. Dont be overly trusting and dont logout next to people if you can avoid it lol.

But yea I'm not even fussed anymore. I read that update thread and literally laughed saying "Praise the DayZ Jeebus!"

Btw, I just went up to stary yar to meet my friend, the one I was with when I met you, so were gonna head back down, we can drop you some gear if you're struggling or get killed again. We will meet you in spawn towns. Drop you an m4 with acog and some mags, food, water, etc. 

Lemme know.

2 hours ago, Bombarding said:

Yessir @Mixeorite loads of lessons learned about the future. Dont be overly trusting and dont logout next to people if you can avoid it lol.

But yea I'm not even fussed anymore. I read that update thread and literally laughed saying "Praise the DayZ Jeebus!"

Btw, I just went up to stary yar to meet my friend, the one I was with when I met you, so were gonna head back down, we can drop you some gear if you're struggling or get killed again. We will meet you in spawn towns. Drop you an m4 with acog and some mags, food, water, etc. 

Lemme know.

I appreciate that but I already went up and back and helping Bambi's again lol dont know why, guess it's just not in me to be bandit or ruthless like many others. I enjoy the whole wandering with fresh spawns and the situations u help them through lol. I had one guy bleeding out on me and my partner did cpr as I ran saline bag and bandages for unconscious dude lol

• Like 1

This is heart breaking, inbox me your gamer tags as I’m a friendly survivor willing to take some bullets to help a new gamer! 

12 minutes ago, DRxGRIMCOREx said:

This is heart breaking, inbox me your gamer tags as I’m a friendly survivor willing to take some bullets to help a new gamer! 

You're more than welcome to squad up with me and my friend. We are no nonsense, casual people. Dont act suspiscious we wont.

I handle most of the scouting and shooting as I'm a bit more engaged than her, but she loves hunting and killing zombies and looting so yea.

We are pretty friendly unless put into a hairy situation, like bobbing and weaving incoming ak shots, but we pull through.

We help most new spawns but are pretty cautious around heavy kits. But we just like to have fun. We are currently in starry Yar ig you wanna meet there but I expect we will be moving tomorrow 

@bombarding what is a good time to meet up with you so we roam around for awhile? im in central timezone12:07 a.m. is current time

I'll be around Pustoshka tonight, around 9:00pm EST. I got extra food and a USG45 with one full magazine to offload. Not looking for anything in return, though I could use a spare AK magazine. Anyone interested send me a PM. It gets lonely living in the woods.

Yeah...... so something similar happened to me last night. I couldn't help but laugh after I died. I mean it is after all just a game. I had the SVD but no scope, a guy I met gave me one. We walked around the town together for a short period. He had a AKM no mag so I gave him one of my full ones and a spare silencer. You would think i would have learned better after watching 100+ hours of computer players not to trust most people. I was needing to fill my canteens and he knew exactly where a well was. I start filling up and this sucker pulls out the AKM. I knew what was about to happen and there was nothing I could do. The animation when using canteen or bottles got me lol. I should have known better than to give him a full mag. Lesson learned. Still gonna be friendly though because it is way more fun that way, but more cautious. I hope I run into this guy again.

This is why I can never trust anyone i meet from game chat! Pm'ed you my gt dude, would be nice to play with you sometime :)

It’s like the old adage, nice guys finish last. I know the feeling, as I’m usually the one who tries to befriend others, which inevitably puts you at risk.

I have met a couple cool guys in a DayZ club. One told me upfront that he and his crew usually play the bandit role. I told him maybe we could play another time, as I enjoy the risk of playing the hero. The other guy was somewhat similar, as he was telling me to shoot on sight at military bases. Funny enough, I stumble across a decked guy at a mil base carrying a backpack. I attempted to communicate, as my partner was frantically telling me to shoot him. After a short time I see him run around the corner and we start taking fire from backpack guys friend. My partner is killed. I kill one, and the other finishes me off. 

He told me I was too nice... I guess in some scenarios, you really can’t take chances.

I agree that it’s valuable to talk to those who want to team up, as it’s a good way to gauge their intentions. Ones demeanor has a funny way of speaking truth through potential lies.

Those two guys gave me no such hesitation. As a result, we had many fun hours together. I was even able to sway the bandit to the hero side. Well, at least while he was with me.

Hopefully you’re able to meet some other like minded individuals out there, though you may have to sift through some undesirables in the process. I 

48 minutes ago, Nayte said:

It’s like the old adage, nice guys finish last. I know the feeling, as I’m usually the one who tries to befriend others, which inevitably puts you at risk.

I have met a couple cool guys in a DayZ club. One told me upfront that he and his crew usually play the bandit role. I told him maybe we could play another time, as I enjoy the risk of playing the hero. The other guy was somewhat similar, as he was telling me to shoot on sight at military bases. Funny enough, I stumble across a decked guy at a mil base carrying a backpack. I attempted to communicate, as my partner was frantically telling me to shoot him. After a short time I see him run around the corner and we start taking fire from backpack guys friend. My partner is killed. I kill one, and the other finishes me off. 

He told me I was too nice... I guess in some scenarios, you really can’t take chances.

I agree that it’s valuable to talk to those who want to team up, as it’s a good way to gauge their intentions. Ones demeanor has a funny way of speaking truth through potential lies.

Those two guys gave me no such hesitation. As a result, we had many fun hours together. I was even able to sway the bandit to the hero side. Well, at least while he was with me.

Hopefully you’re able to meet some other like minded individuals out there, though you may have to sift through some undesirables in the process. I 

At military base there is no friendlys unless you bring them with you. Any town even electro berenzino etc you may get a response from KOSers may even have a short friendly chat but their intentions still are to kill you unless they have no gear and even then a few blows from an axe will earn them a payday. Military base ive only came across one guy that talked and it was only to stall until his 3 buddys showed up. Then it was radio silence and time to run. The starter military tents you might get lucky but even then watch and approach in a way you have the advantage. If you know they cant see you tell them to lay down and see if they are willing. Given the chance to live over catching a round to the head is preferable to anyone. Only give up the advantage if you know you are safe by tieng them up or making them drop their stuff and lock them in a room. You still kinda have to play like a bandit only cut them loose and dont take their stuff after your chat is finished if you wanna be the hero type. Even the friendly hero needs to grab a few soda cans and food from a fellow traveler sometimes. 

1 hour ago, Chris Burton said:

At military base there is no friendlys unless you bring them with you. Any town even electro berenzino etc you may get a response from KOSers may even have a short friendly chat but their intentions still are to kill you unless they have no gear and even then a few blows from an axe will earn them a payday. Military base ive only came across one guy that talked and it was only to stall until his 3 buddys showed up. Then it was radio silence and time to run. The starter military tents you might get lucky but even then watch and approach in a way you have the advantage. If you know they cant see you tell them to lay down and see if they are willing. Given the chance to live over catching a round to the head is preferable to anyone. Only give up the advantage if you know you are safe by tieng them up or making them drop their stuff and lock them in a room. You still kinda have to play like a bandit only cut them loose and dont take their stuff after your chat is finished if you wanna be the hero type. Even the friendly hero needs to grab a few soda cans and food from a fellow traveler sometimes. 

Oh yeah, I’ve been killed on sight at mil bases and checkpoints. It’s certainly not a bad thing to be extra cautious, though I often find it fun to take risks, as it can get boring after being fully geared for so long.

I held a guy up at a mil base when I was playing solo. I said hello, then told him to holster his M4. He ended up dropping it, then waved hello walking out of the tent. He didn’t have a mic, though after a brief talk I told him he could grab his rifle back, we gave thumbs up and moved on.

Last night I was making my way into a new town, when I came across two guys crouched in the street. I hung back by a bus stop, and watched as they both ran nearby. One decided to come and loot the little bus stop I was watching them from. Yet again, I took the risk and said hello. The guy who ran past, started to make his way back to me, as the bus stop guy was frozen in his tracks. I told them to keep their distance, and could see they were both armed, one with a pistol in hand. Keeping my M4 ready I showed myself, and tried to communicate. Of course, they were in party chat. Asked if they needed food, then another round of thumbs up, and we separated.

I feel like creating these types of interactions is important in helping to shape the community into a more dynamic experience. Instead of the standard killfest tripe we usually have in online games. The social aspect of DayZ is truly what creates lasting memories.

49 minutes ago, Nayte said:

Oh yeah, I’ve been killed on sight at mil bases and checkpoints. It’s certainly not a bad thing to be extra cautious, though I often find it fun to take risks, as it can get boring after being fully geared for so long.

I held a guy up at a mil base when I was playing solo. I said hello, then told him to holster his M4. He ended up dropping it, then waved hello walking out of the tent. He didn’t have a mic, though after a brief talk I told him he could grab his rifle back, we gave thumbs up and moved on.

Last night I was making my way into a new town, when I came across two guys crouched in the street. I hung back by a bus stop, and watched as they both ran nearby. One decided to come and loot the little bus stop I was watching them from. Yet again, I took the risk and said hello. The guy who ran past, started to make his way back to me, as the bus stop guy was frozen in his tracks. I told them to keep their distance, and could see they were both armed, one with a pistol in hand. Keeping my M4 ready I showed myself, and tried to communicate. Of course, they were in party chat. Asked if they needed food, then another round of thumbs up, and we separated.

I feel like creating these types of interactions is important in helping to shape the community into a more dynamic experience. Instead of the standard killfest tripe we usually have in online games. The social aspect of DayZ is truly what creates lasting memories.

Yea without a doubt these interactions will be necessary to make the game more fun. If you wanna run and gun do whatever but pubg is so much better for that COD etc. Gotta imagine yourself as the person theres no way youd survive just gunning down people. Talk get info trade figure out where enemies are etc. Once people start working together or atleast willing and able to talk the game will improve for sure.