Dudas_

0.63 Exp, Bacteria symbol when drinking from well

Hello,

I'm quite new to Dayz, and with the new patch there was the introduction of diseases to the game. I understand that now drinking from ponds without sterilizing the water will lead to cholera, however I'm drinking from a water bottle which i filed from a well and the bacteria symbol has 3 arrows above it when I do so. Even if I sterilize it and take a sip, it still goes up. Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong here?

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

1 hour ago, Dudas_ said:

Hello,

I'm quite new to Dayz, and with the new patch there was the introduction of diseases to the game. I understand that now drinking from ponds without sterilizing the water will lead to cholera, however I'm drinking from a water bottle which i filed from a well and the bacteria symbol has 3 arrows above it when I do so. Even if I sterilize it and take a sip, it still goes up. Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong here?

Not sure what you're doing wrong, are you playing on the Xbox or PC? I didn't think disease was in the Xbox version yet?

31 minutes ago, droefheid said:

Not sure what you're doing wrong, are you playing on the Xbox or PC? I didn't think disease was in the Xbox version yet?

Playing on the PC.

4 hours ago, Dudas_ said:

Hello,

Maybe this answer is dumb, but what "bacteria" symbol exactly ?.. are you sure you don't just mean the stomach symbol??  4th symbol counting from the right is your stomach.  When you put water in it, after drinking a little you will get the 3 arrows upwards for a very short time - a second or so (because you've been putting stuff into your stomach)  -  then they vanish..   On PC (exp)  I haven't  BEEN ill yet with this graphics HUD, but Ive tried  (drinking from lakes & rivers mostly all the time)  .. I GUESS if you are gut-ill you should get arrows pointing DOWN from your stomach, then from your red cross life symbol?  - Like if you are thirsty you get arrows pointing down from your water level indicator, or bleeding you get arrows pointing down from your blood count..

<duh, guess I'm going to have to eat worms till I'm stuffed, then see what happens... {sigh}>

Can anyone point us/me to a clarification on this please?  - thanx people.

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Haha 1

The fourth from the right of this picture:

6uxkbeyyu4i11.jpg

After drinking water, it would have three arrows up like in the picture (an no its not the water one [first from the right]). And no, it was not the stomach sign. 

PS: This is not a picture of mine, I just picked one online to demonstrate the exact symbol.

Edited by Dudas_
  • Beans 1

How did you sterilize it? I'm not sure which of the features are re-implemented and working right now, but I guess you could either use water purification tabs or boil the water in the cooking pot.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cirkular said:

How did you sterilize it? I'm not sure which of the features are re-implemented and working right now, but I guess you could either use water purification tabs or boil the water in the cooking pot.

I used the water purification tabs on the water bottle.

• Beans 1

13 hours ago, Dudas_ said:

The fourth from the right of this picture:

6uxkbeyyu4i11.jpg

After drinking water, it would have three arrows up like in the picture (an no its not the water one [first from the right]). And no, it was not the stomach sign. 

PS: This is not a picture of mine, I just picked one online to demonstrate the exact symbol.

Is that not a stomach ?, wow.. I'm pretty sure it's a Stomach,  4th from right  (but if I'm wrong..  then I'm wrong) ..
..   So how do you know when you are stuffed and about to throw up ?

On PC experimental I've been drinking from any water I find, to try this out.. but so far nothing happened.. haven't got sick.. found some water purification tabs - BUT seeing as I aint sick from drinking river water anyway , up to now, they make no difference I can see. Naturally, I don't get a message "you have purified the water in your bottle" or any of that <easy to understand stuff> we used to have. Like :  "you feel sick"    etc..

You sure this 4th from right is NOT a stomach? with maybe one little bacteria next to it? ..  I expected the little "bacteria" thing next to the "stomach"  to go red or even start flashing if you drank petrol, or something you really shouldn't drink (maybe petrol or cleaning fluid -  or perhaps also ingesting cholera-water or eating worms,  or raw or burned meat, ya know?? ) 

Like I said above - I'm just going to have to eat a load of worms and see what happens to my  "Stomach"

In the pic you show : Why is the player losing health?

a) is he stuffed and about to throw up?

b) is he hungry and beginning to suffering from heat ?

c) is he regaining health from LOW after something that happened earlier in the game ?

d) how does he know he's not poisoned? 

-  he can see his stomach is <full> but his "eat" value is still <hungry> ??  So perhaps he's stuffed himself with something that has no food value (water) or negative food value (petrol) ..  ??  But if he's just drunk a gutfull of water shouldn't his temperature be stabilizing after overheating? (unless he has cholera).

I ask because I don't know the answers to these things.  

Drinking petrol or eating worms is probably the easiest way to find out (if that is still in the game).

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*

1 hour ago, pilgrim* said:

Is that not a stomach ?, wow.. I'm pretty sure it's a Stomach,  4th from right  (but if I'm wrong..  then I'm wrong) ..
..   So how do you know when you are stuffed and about to throw up ?

On PC experimental I've been drinking from any water I find, to try this out.. but so far nothing happened.. haven't got sick.. found some water purification tabs - BUT seeing as I aint sick from drinking river water anyway , up to now, they make no difference I can see. Naturally, I don't get a message "you have purified the water in your bottle" or any of that <easy to understand stuff> we used to have. Like :  "you feel sick"    etc..

You sure this 4th from right is NOT a stomach? with maybe one little bacteria next to it? ..  I expected the little "bacteria" thing next to the "stomach"  to go red or even start flashing if you drank petrol, or something you really shouldn't drink (maybe petrol or cleaning fluid -  or perhaps also ingesting cholera-water or eating worms,  or raw or burned meat, ya know?? ) 

Like I said above - I'm just going to have to eat a load of worms and see what happens to my  "Stomach"

In the pic you show : Why is the player losing health?

a) is he stuffed and about to throw up?

b) is he hungry and beginning to suffering from heat ?

c) is he regaining health from LOW after something that happened earlier in the game ?

d) how does he know he's not poisoned? 

-  he can see his stomach is <full> but his "eat" value is still <hungry> ??  So perhaps he's stuffed himself with something that has no food value (water) or negative food value (petrol) ..  ??  But if he's just drunk a gutfull of water shouldn't his temperature be stabilizing after overheating? (unless he has cholera).

I ask because I don't know the answers to these things.  

Drinking petrol or eating worms is probably the easiest way to find out (if that is still in the game).

xxP

Actually when you're stuffed a new symbol appears to the left of the health cross, this one actually looking like a stomach and not a germ. If you keep drinking/eating once the stomach comes up you'll puke. At the same place water drops appear to illustrate when you've somehow become wet. If you're both stuffed and wet they overlap so they're unreadable.

I've also noticed that drinking supposedly "safe" water often makes arrows appear above the germ symbol, if I keep drinking then I'll puke. Makes it impossible to drink an entire bottle of water (filled from a well) without pausing at least four times to let the arrows fade. Dunno how to read that actually, but the few times I actually became sick the arrows by the germ symbol pointed down and I started losing water faster.

• Beans 1

15 minutes ago, Beavis3D said:

Actually when you're stuffed a new symbol appears to the left of the health cross, this one actually looking like a stomach and not a germ. If you keep drinking/eating once the stomach comes up you'll puke. At the same place water drops appear to illustrate when you've somehow become wet. If you're both stuffed and wet they overlap so they're unreadable.

I've also noticed that drinking supposedly "safe" water often makes arrows appear above the germ symbol, if I keep drinking then I'll puke. Makes it impossible to drink an entire bottle of water (filled from a well) without pausing at least four times to let the arrows fade. Dunno how to read that actually, but the few times I actually became sick the arrows by the germ symbol pointed down and I started losing water faster.

OK.. I experience that drinking makes 3 up-arrows appear for a SHORT time (seconds) .. but on my PC experimental build (this week)  that happens above the 4th symbol from the RIGHT - which looks to me like a stomach (more than a germ?) and has a little small thing like a gall bladder (?) or a tiny sea urchin (?)  incorporated in the SAME symbol/pictogram. I thought maybe THAT little thing in the top right of that SAME "stomach" icon was the germ..??  

My symbols are lined up exactly as shown in Dudas_'s  image above..  and the symbols don't change. I don't get (so far) any extra symbol appearing or disappearing, just the up/down arrows change.

Maybe I need to get seriously sick, but so far haven't managed..    I don't even see any color changes in my icons.  Except I THINK I got a color change in the blood icon when I once bled to death, but I wasn't REALLY noticing right at that moment like I should have been.    

Edited by pilgrim*

28 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

OK.. I experience that drinking makes 3 up-arrows appear for a SHORT time (seconds) .. but on my PC experimental build (this week)  that happens above the 4th symbol from the RIGHT - which looks to me like a stomach (more than a germ?) and has a little small thing like a gall bladder (?) or a tiny sea urchin (?)  incorporated in the SAME symbol/pictogram. I thought maybe THAT little thing in the top right of that SAME "stomach" icon was the germ..??  

My symbols are lined up exactly as shown in Dudas_'s  image above..  and the symbols don't change. I don't get (so far) any extra symbol appearing or disappearing, just the up/down arrows change.

Maybe I need to get seriously sick, but so far haven't managed..    I don't even see any color changes in my icons.  Except I THINK I got a color change in the blood icon when I once bled to death, but I wasn't REALLY noticing right at that moment like I should have been.    

Just gorge yourself seriously (water is the easiest way, just fill a cooking pot and drink) and the stuffed stomach symbol will appear left of the health cross. Then it will also be obvious that the germy thing is a germ since the stomach symbol looks more stomachey....

And yeah, I experimented a bit with the bleeding yesterday - shot myself in the foot to get bleeding - and when you get low on blood the symbol turns yellow. Presumably red too, but I managed to fall to my death before I lost enough blood. Health symbol also changes colour into yellow and then red when it's critical. I hope the food and water icons will be improved to turn green as the 0.62 indicators used to, that would help keep better control of hydration and energy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beavis3D said:

..//..

that all sounds like good sense to me, friend.   Except that I DO get 3 up arrows when I drink "quite" a lot (full plastic bottle after adding water purification tablets) and they ARE over the "Germ" for just a couple of seconds max.
But yours still sounds good solid experience, thanx;  I'll go experiment with it & try to die of something horrible & slow.

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*

13 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

that all sounds like good sense to me, friend.   Except that I DO get 3 up arrows when I drink "quite" a lot (full plastic bottle after adding water purification tablets) and they ARE over the "Germ" for just a couple of seconds max.
But yours still sounds good solid experience, thanx;  I'll go experiment with it & try to die of something horrible & slow.

xxP

Oh yes, the arrows do come up above the germey symbol when you drink. Still not sure how to read that, maybe they're thought to show that you are drinking unsafe water? I think it happens when you eat with bloody hands too, but I'm not sure. It doesn't happen when drinking out of a bottle you looted, only once you've filled it somewhere, regardless of if you used water purification tablets or not.

Edited by Beavis3D
  • Like 2

From everything we got so far, diseases is that one thing that is just too vague, even so vague that I almost do not even believe that there are like 5 diseases in the game. 

There used to be just one disease during the stress tests, cholera. Which you should get from drinking contaminated water. Well I never got sick during the stress tests, not even after drinking endless amounts of pond water.

Now with the experimental candidate we are supposed to have five or so diseases. But I drinked liters of pond water and ate kilos of raw chicken..... and nothing! No sneezing or coughing as was mentioned back in July. No ill characters. Only a few times I randomly started to vomit. Its a disappointment because they said we would get diseases back, but in its current form it is hardly a feature. 

Edited by amadieus
  • Beans 1

On 9/18/2018 at 4:20 AM, Beavis3D said:

Oh yes, the arrows do come up above the germey symbol when you drink. Still not sure how to read that, maybe they're thought to show that you are drinking unsafe water? I think it happens when you eat with bloody hands too, but I'm not sure. It doesn't happen when drinking out of a bottle you looted, only once you've filled it somewhere, regardless of if you used water purification tablets or not.

Yes, that is EXACTLY what I've been experiencing. Really repeating what you said, if you loot a water bottle with water in it or a canteen, if you drink it nothing shows above the germ symbol. However, if you fill it up in a well/drinking fountain (supposedly clean water) even if you use purification tablets the three arrows above the germ symbol will show up once you drink it. I haven'y got sick from it as I try to not use it too much, but it does happen.

pilgrim*, it is not the stomach symbol. You're still skeptical, but as Beavis3D as mentioned above, the stomach symbol will show to the LEFT of the health cross symbol once you get close to being full. As seen here:

t4rvdKx.jpg

bW4ehxe.png

• Beans 2

19 hours ago, Dudas_ said:

Yes, that is EXACTLY what I've been experiencing. Really repeating what you said, if you loot a water bottle with water in it or a canteen, if you drink it nothing shows above the germ symbol. However, if you fill it up in a well/drinking fountain (supposedly clean water) even if you use purification tablets the three arrows above the germ symbol will show up once you drink it. I haven'y got sick from it as I try to not use it too much, but it does happen.

Yes, that's odd because drinking from the well never used to bring you to the sick status, as far as I know the game was designed up to this point. I don't think you are doing anything wrong there. My only guess is that this diseases feature is not implemented yet fully or properly or the purifier tabs are not working. Or I'm missing something.

Up to the 0.62 version which is still stable version now, only drinking from ponds used to cause problems, but you could put that water into a container and purify it and then drink it safely. Also with that older UI, if you achieved that green "healthy" status you could even take sips out of those ponds safely, without ever getting sick.

• Beans 1

I think they are gathering preliminary data on the mechanic before adding impact to the character based on those values.

Temperature and wetness indicators show changes but have yet to impact players as well.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Beans 3

I've never seen it do it when you directly drink it from a well (maybe if your hands are bloody it'll do it, but that's understandable). It happens when you fill a water bottle from said well. Its weird, perhaps its a bug.

• Like 1