Nicklander

This has been said a million times already but still

I'm an experienced player and I really feel like they should increase the food & water spawn-rates/respawn-rates some more until proper PVE mechanics are in place (advanced cooking, horticulture, fishing ...) which will take a very very long time. At the moment there's litterally no breathing-space, all I'm doing is running wildly thru all the houses from town to town to keep my character alive. It's not really fun to play.

Oh and also important point....Zombies. AI is great, they act very reasonably. But please ! Crank that detection radius up to the max. I'm litterally running in front of them without them noticing me.

Looking forward to the release of the serverfiles, I hope it will be possible to entirely mod the game to one's preferences.

Version: Current Experimental Branch

Edited by Nicklander
  • Beans 2

My only advice in lieu of them actually changing the spawn rates, would be to try hunting.

You can get a lot of meat from a single deer.

• Beans 2

I know a lot play DayZ for the PvP but for me, I want to see a return to the survival aspect. I want to kill wildlife with a bow, farm my crops, craft my own bag and clothes and every so often wander into the city for ammo and freak people out by being some crazy mountain man.

• Beans 9

Part of having a pvp base is to also survive. I agree you should be growing your crops more. Since there isn't much in the world left. Pretty much everything out of the tv series the walking dead is the way it should be here. PVP should be still included with survival. No other way around it in this sandbox survival game. Have they gotten vehicles back in working?

10 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

My only advice in lieu of them actually changing the spawn rates, would be to try hunting.

You can get a lot of meat from a single deer.

Do you know at what rates the xbox build meters drop compared to any of the pc builds? 

5 hours ago, Powell x91 said:

Do you know at what rates the xbox build meters drop compared to any of the pc builds? 

I'm sorry, I don't.

Maybe @ImpulZ can answer that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I'm sorry, I don't.

Maybe @ImpulZ can answer that.

No worries at all! 

@impulz can you answer; which build off of PC has the most similar meter drop rates etc?

Just curious at to which forums are more applicable to ours when looking for info etc

we need food and drinks to simply keep your character going longer, and LOWER the spawn rates, instead of finding 10 cans in an hour and eating all 10 cans, id rather find 2 cans an hour and eat those 2 cans, it needs to be similar difficulty but the balancing is way off on items and their spawn rates, would LOVE for someone to seriously take an entire week to rebalance the loot table and survival mechanics, mainly tweak numbers in a config somewhere on the rates and whatnot 

3 hours ago, crazy mike said:

we need food and drinks to simply keep your character going longer, and LOWER the spawn rates, instead of finding 10 cans in an hour and eating all 10 cans, id rather find 2 cans an hour and eat those 2 cans, it needs to be similar difficulty but the balancing is way off on items and their spawn rates, would LOVE for someone to seriously take an entire week to rebalance the loot table and survival mechanics, mainly tweak numbers in a config somewhere on the rates and whatnot 

As far as I've experienced, this is pretty close to how things are, after you get over the initial hump of spawning hungry.  My old habits of keeping most food items in my belly has caused me to overeat pretty frequently.  It's definitely not a good idea to eat more than two or three cans of food in a sitting, if you want to keep it all down.

• Beans 1

On 9/15/2018 at 8:53 AM, Powell x91 said:

Can you rephrase that question please? Not sure what you mean.

30 minutes ago, ImpulZ said:

Can you rephrase that question please? Not sure what you mean.

Just wondered if there was any difference in any of the PC versions for how long it takes for food & hydration to decrease and turn yellow/red? Then if so, Which is the same as xbox or they are all the same, xbox included? 

I wouldn't mind spending so much time finding food if it actually satisfied hunger in a realistic manner. I don't want to eat a bunch of canned food, a chicken, and some fruit and still get hungry jogging to the next town. If I ate as much as a DayZ character I would be morbidly obese.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

1 hour ago, bad_mojo (DayZ) said:

I wouldn't mind spending so much time finding food if it actually satisfied hunger in a realistic manner. I don't want to eat a bunch of canned food, a chicken, and some fruit and still get hungry jogging to the next town. If I ate as much as a DayZ character I would be morbidly obese.

Well, I'm pretty sure that the full hunger status is not in game yet.  You're maxing out and wasting food for nothing

do you want to heal at a realistic rate too.

• Haha 1
  • Beans 1

15 hours ago, bad_mojo (DayZ) said:

In real life, it takes several weeks (let's say 4) to heal a broken limb. In DayZ, it's one second with either splint or morphine. So the limb healing rate is accelerated some 2,419,000 times. Please don't give the devs any ideas to do the same with hunger, ok? Trust me, the acceleration of various processes greatly favours the player.

• Haha 1
  • Beans 2

I’m also an experienced player, and on the contrary, food survival is finally interesting. I actually almost starved for the first time in years. I’m having to take risks and make interesting decisions based on basic survival needs.

That said, even still it’s too easy. Once I’m past the initial spawn looting frenzy with a full stomach and a couple food items, hunger and thirst return to being a non-issue so long as I’m careful. I wouldn’t mind food being even more scarce.

Make spawning fresh a terrifying prospect, where your survival into the mid-game is far from certain. Make those highly geared snipers come out of their nests at least to hunt!

• Beans 1

6 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

In real life, it takes several weeks (let's say 4) to heal a broken limb. In DayZ, it's one second with either splint or morphine. So the limb healing rate is accelerated some 2,419,000 times. Please don't give the devs any ideas to do the same with hunger, ok? Trust me, the acceleration of various processes greatly favours the player.

I don't want to get more out of food just because it will make the game more realistic, I want them to make the game feel more rewarding and satisfying when it comes to finding and eating food. I dislike how currently when you are a fresh spawn and you find your first meal, it's never really thrilling and enjoyable because you still have to rinse and repeat that same process multiple times in order to even stay alive. It makes early game feel like you're fighting the clock to fill up a progress bar, and once you're established and healthy it just becomes tedious, rather than the enjoyable RPG element it could be. Standing under an apple tree for an hour is not fun gameplay, but being forced to run from town to town looting cans of food for 3 hours feels like more of a grind. Give us less food spawns but make it more rewarding to consume.

This may sound weird but I would prefer if food and water were reasonably simple in the early game and more complex in the mid- and late-game. The freshies need an edge to escape the psychos before they're geared enough to take them on.

• Beans 1

On 9/22/2018 at 9:36 PM, bad_mojo (DayZ) said:

Yes, but the game's about Surviving..  if you ate once in 24 hours, then spent 23 hours lying in a field in the sun.. that would not be a fun game and it would be NO WAY difficult at all ...
In a survival game you can expect the SURVIVAL to be EMPHASIZED .. otherwise it wouldn't be a survival game ... would it ?  

ps - water is more important than food - to live, make that your priority.   

On 10/20/2018 at 3:11 PM, pilgrim* said:

Yes, but the game's about Surviving..  if you ate once in 24 hours, then spent 23 hours lying in a field in the sun.. that would not be a fun game and it would be NO WAY difficult at all ...
In a survival game you can expect the SURVIVAL to be EMPHASIZED .. otherwise it wouldn't be a survival game ... would it ?  

ps - water is more important than food - to live, make that your priority.   

It will be modded out.

13 hours ago, sneakydude said:

It will be modded out.

sure, if you want to mod out "surviving"..  why not?  Could mod DayZ into the first World War western front trenches, or Stalingrad .. plenty of FPS nobody EVER eats or drinks  at all.. In fact there are already a LOT of THOSE games around already. That's pretty standard in FPS.  But if that's the pleasure of the modder .. I won't be criticizing. 
IRL water is more important - a more immediate & constant requirement - than food..  That's the way human beings are made. That seems about the same as in DayZ SA, in my experience.   But of course modders will have to change stuff to suit themselves, otherwise they wont have modded anything, right? there's no reason a DayZ SA mod should be about "surviving" at all.  It's just one important aspect of the game that appeals strongly to me and makes it original.
Ain't that why Dean Hall made it in the first place?

On 10/25/2018 at 6:36 AM, pilgrim* said:

sure, if you want to mod out "surviving"..  why not?  Could mod DayZ into the first World War western front trenches, or Stalingrad .. plenty of FPS nobody EVER eats or drinks  at all.. In fact there are already a LOT of THOSE games around already. That's pretty standard in FPS.  But if that's the pleasure of the modder .. I won't be criticizing. 
IRL water is more important - a more immediate & constant requirement - than food..  That's the way human beings are made. That seems about the same as in DayZ SA, in my experience.   But of course modders will have to change stuff to suit themselves, otherwise they wont have modded anything, right? there's no reason a DayZ SA mod should be about "surviving" at all.  It's just one important aspect of the game that appeals strongly to me and makes it original.
Ain't that why Dean Hall made it in the first place?

Water, food reduction will be modded some unless settings allow for it to be reduced. 3 meals a day, 5 drinks of water is normal. Using running, water, food as a system like Conan exiles does is not a good system. Healing systems are used in that too. Realistic survival is where some like to mod. We have seen it in other games too. Some dont like it night time, others do.

To each its own.

Time will tell how many get deep into modding on dayz. With basebuilding, survival, growing crops all that could be cool.

4 hours ago, sneakydude said:

Water, food reduction will be modded some unless settings allow for it to be reduced. ..//..

Modders will do what thy like and players will follow them or not, as they like.

BUT.. just to point out the OBVIOUS - Being in COMBAT & FIREFIGHTS  five times a day is totally NOT realistic at all. Nobody seems to have checked the figures for how many firefights a foot soldier had per month during a year in Vietnam, or during the 2nd WW, or in Afghanistan on any tour of duty  over the last 17 years  - and those are full on real-life combat-zone situations (100% military, not civilian survivors after a disaster)
Have some fun looking up the figures, IRL you are fully kitted up military and armed to the teeth, and READY FOR FPS... but MOST days in the front line you don't get to fire a shot. This has always been true, but no players are getting het up about easy FPS being UNREALISTIC  in DayZ. - Why is that? - They just complain about having to eat and drink A LOT in "an FPS game"
... they don't ever complain about getting all kitted up fast and shooting each other a lot  (except if their gun jams, lol). 

Maybe they haven't got the idea that DayZ is not an FPS game, it is just a post apocalypse survival game that has shooting in it.  The five-times-a-day firefight sessions and the eating and drinking sessions are all just as unrealistic each as the other.

If you're a survivor, the first thing you have to do is find drink, food, clothing,  shelter, equipment to survive .. NOT go looking for FPS matches. If you don't know this then you won't like DayZ SA and you're going to complain a lot until you find a full-loadout login, small map mod - so you can deathmatch and capture the flag, and not do boring shit like learn how to make a fire or hunt for food, catch diseases or die of dehydration.   But, hey, there are plenty of those easy quick FPS games around already.

- just saying

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Beans 2

Pilgram, you are taking some of our complaints and suggestions to the furthest extreme. Just because players complain about the eating & drinking mechanics does not automatically mean they want to do away with the survival activities and turn DayZ into a generic shooter on a big map. I personally welcome the harsh survival aspects of the game, it is why I play DayZ.

I care less about DayZ being realistic and more about creating a sandbox for  enjoyable gameplay. My complaints about the food system stems from my recent expierences ingame. After spawning I feel like I am chasing RNG spawns for the majority of early game, then suddenly I get to the healthy status and I am on easy street, its simply too 'gamey' of a setup for my taste. I see it around me ingame too, other people on the coastline are simply sprinting from good building to good building, checking spawn locations for food so that they can eventually run around(or not run) on their own and not be constantly forced into situations because some countdown timer is ticking.

It is good that players have to do some amount of build up after spawning because there needs to be some penalty for death, even in early game. But my issue is that we are forced to find too much food. In fact I think the amount of food needed to stop starving is so much that finding food and the food itself loses the value it should have to a player. Its like finding a '+5 hp' health pack in another game, it helps, but the player doesnt get excited, the health returned means almost nothing, its grindy, its meaningless, it a rinse and repeat activity forgotten seconds later.... that is how early game food feels to me in DayZ. Why cant finding that can of sardines feel like winning the lottery? The way loot spawns in DayZ really amplifys this issue. You never run up to a spawn point and find 10 times as much food has spawned, it just flat out NEVER happens due to the programming. The only time a player could even "win the lottery" when it comes to early game food is by killing a player, robbing a player, or finding a stash left by a player. This is bad because the mechanics push PVP on players, and dulls down one of the most essential activities in the game, looting. I cant really blame players who would rather run around killing players, instead of spending a couple hours looting the required cans of food. Its not the players fault, people will always follow the path of least resistence, the fault lies with the system that punishes solo looting in favor of pvp banditry.

I guess my point is that a new spawn should have to complete the task of feeding themselves, but that task shouldnt consist of simply rolling dice a dozen or more times hoping for that lucky 7 to come up multiple times. RNG looting is not survival, its just a game of chance.