zPaniK

Server Hopping

So I understand that this is part of the game, but it still feels slightly dirty to me. I was playing with two other friends tonight and we finally managed to meet up, so we moved to a Military base. 

We all had some guns but were by no means fully kitted. As we were working our way trough the base a group of 5 guys spawned in behind us in a building we had just looted. They started shooting first but after a VERY intense fire fight we managed to kill them all without anyone from our squad dying.

Every single one of the guys had at least 8 full clips of 5.56 on them and assorted guns. Now like I said I understand this is part of the game but I can’t help feel like what they were doing is borderline abuse.

I just wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts on server hopping and wether they feel like it is a fair, legitimate tactic; or if they would prefer the devs try to implement some way of blocking it.

• Like 1

I’d like to think that it isn’t normal and not part of the structured game mechanic.  With all the bugs and wonkiness, I’m hoping stuff like that will get circumvented with patches.

I know what you are talking about and have run into it every time we hit any type of military outpost. People that just get to them and then repeatedly server hop until they are fully geared out before going to the noob spawns to gun down everyone there. I'm not sure how the game could actually fix that issue without messing up something else, but do agree its frustrating to run into said people. I feel like they are mainly ruining the game for themselves though. Killing randoms for no reason other than to just slaughter everyone gets old after a bit if there isn't any fight back.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AyeMandaPanda said:

I know what you are talking about and have run into it every time we hit any type of military outpost. People that just get to them and then repeatedly server hop until they are fully geared out before going to the noob spawns to gun down everyone there. I'm not sure how the game could actually fix that issue without messing up something else, but do agree its frustrating to run into said people. I feel like they are mainly ruining the game for themselves though. Killing randoms for no reason other than to just slaughter everyone gets old after a bit if there isn't any fight back.

I agree, probably the most fun I’ve had so far was being in that gun fight with them. It was so hectic trying to figure out who was who, and all the gun fire attracted a ton of zombies. IT WAS A BLOOD BATH. 

• Like 1

Also the fucking wolves. They would howl and then sprint at you only to disappear then reappear next to you. Super crazy ?

No. Server hopping, to me, is against the core concept of hard survival.

It can be abused on purpose, or unintentionally. I never do it on purpose, but sometimes I'll get kicked while clearing a town. No way I'm not checking the town again. Depending on your location as mentioned, who knows what or who's around you.

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, zPaniK said:

...single one of the guys had at least 8 full clips of 5.56 on them and assorted guns. Now like I said I understand this is part of the game but I can’t help feel like what they were doing is borderline abuse....

and this is one of the issue with, what is dayz trying to be?

If they had guns and ammo and where really trying to survive, why hit another base? where they put them selves at unneeded risk (in this case, lost it all). Yes i know, very little else to do right now.

I know, its part of the game, pew-pew, and its early stages of the dayz rebuild, but i cant see it changing, where the game is more geared to kitting up and frags fests over try to see how long you can survive. 

This is why i feel Dayz is 2 different games in one... spoils it for people wanting to play survival and not another FPS, plenty of FPS games out there.

As for server hopping, yeah, don't like it, always been there. Not only does it give unfair amounts of loot to the first to hop onto servers, it takes that loot out of that server.. so people that are not hopping, now have less loot in their local economy.

But hay, hopper are there just to gear up and kill.

Edited by soods
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, zPaniK said:

So I understand that this is part of the game, but it still feels slightly dirty to me. I was playing with two other friends tonight and we finally managed to meet up, so we moved to a Military base. 

We all had some guns but were by no means fully kitted. As we were working our way trough the base a group of 5 guys spawned in behind us in a building we had just looted. They started shooting first but after a VERY intense fire fight we managed to kill them all without anyone from our squad dying.

Every single one of the guys had at least 8 full clips of 5.56 on them and assorted guns. Now like I said I understand this is part of the game but I can’t help feel like what they were doing is borderline abuse.

I just wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts on server hopping and wether they feel like it is a fair, legitimate tactic; or if they would prefer the devs try to implement some way of blocking it.

While server hopping is a known issue, be aware that those players could also just have logged into the game together. Military areas are high risk areas. So at the same time those guys are risking their lives by being there for longer periods.

When it comes to the impact on the server economy, a new server does not guarantee more loot and once loot leaves the server it re-spawns after some time, so other players are not affected by it.

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

8 hours ago, zPaniK said:

s on server hopping and wether they feel like it is a fair, legitimate tactic; or if they would prefer the devs try to implement some way of blocking it.

Search the Forum Content under "All Content' for the words  ' server hopping'   = use the search box box in top right of screen (I guess you know)

You will find 342 Threads giving opinions and suggestions (and rants), and counter-arguments on "hoppers".  So you have maybe 3,000 opinions to check out already, right here in the Forum: See what you think of some of them? These include how to stop it, change it, penalize it, why-shouldnt-I-do-it, technical suggestions, log out pause time, private server suggestions, unfair public servers, personal cheating, no-log zones, complaints, loot economy suggestions , and some unworkable ideas as well as some other smart thoughtful ideas.. 

Meanwhile.. if you'r ever in SE Airport, look out for snipers on the roof of the tower blocks..  (damn, I TOTALLY don't know how that sniper GOT there.. but if they ARE there, you won't ever have a chance to ask them).    
xxP

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

I won’t lie. I server hop a couple times at military locations to stock up. Most of the time though it’s due to kicking me out, in which case i join another and reloot that military camp. Not sure how that would be fixed though. 

It's a annoying issue, you can spawn right at the side of someone and that person can kill you and you can't do anything regarding that.

Just a side note: i'm pretty sure that clips are not avaiable in the 0.63 build yet, because the only gun in the game that would accept then would be the mosin.

I lost everything in my pocket and backpack. And I was so kitted out the f##k. And when I lag out I lose everything again. This is a joke. And the compass dose not work. 

4 minutes ago, weer6kell said:

I lost everything in my pocket and backpack. And I was so kitted out the f##k. And when I lag out I lose everything again. This is a joke. And the compass dose not work. 

Never had this issue. Sounds isolated. 

On 9/5/2018 at 2:41 AM, micky_north said:

Your character gets locked in the database if you do it to often, then you cannot play for a certain period of time. 

Wrong I have friends that have been doing it for 2 days straight now, I don't condone it but also who am I to judge in game mechanics. They just loot a base get geared up then log out in the outskirts in view of military tents and hop servers and kill at will with no resistance. But back on topic the whole locked in database doesn't happen to everybody and when it does a quick powercycle on the xbox usually cures it. 

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 6:41 PM, zPaniK said:

It is not part of the game. This is an exploit that people use to unfairly get gear quickly so they can run around and shoot people like it is call of duty... Bohemia needs to find a way to fix this or reduce it. Really ruins the game when every time you get a military base or outpost, some guy spawns in, fully geared and smokes you. If you manage to survive, his buddies spawn in and kill you. Takes away from the game entirely.

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 6:19 AM, Marco Aurelio123 said:

It's a annoying issue, you can spawn right at the side of someone and that person can kill you and you can't do anything regarding that.

Just a side note: i'm pretty sure that clips are not avaiable in the 0.63 build yet, because the only gun in the game that would accept then would be the mosin.

Mosin doesn't even take a magazine or clip in real life... it is a single feed through breach and holds 4 or 5 rounds I believe... So it doesn't make sense that you have to get a magazine for it. Not surprising that this is not accurate considering the zombie sound effects and elk sound effects are horrible... I really had some high hopes for this new release and it seemed to be finally coming along so well but the console release so far is a let down, $40 for bugs, server crashes, limited functionality, features, etc.

This is basically how the game is so I accept it and it doesnt bother me at all. If some mechanics were put it to stop it that also wouldnt bother me, but its really not difficult to stop. If you had a fresh character for any server you joined, like in ARC for example, that would kill it dead, of course the servers need to be working first.

• Like 1

This has been around since before the rebuild.i used to do it on pc,but I felt almost forced as if I didn't it was certain death almost always.unless I joined a strict PVE private server.i like the no login zones idea but not sure this wouldcompletley solve said issue

5 hours ago, M00nfly said:

This is basically how the game is so I accept it and it doesnt bother me at all. If some mechanics were put it to stop it that also wouldnt bother me, but its really not difficult to stop. If you had a fresh character for any server you joined, like in ARC for example, that would kill it dead, of course the servers need to be working first.

Except that won't work with a 60 person limit per server.  Say you spend all your time on one server, log off and go to play the next day, but its full?  Now you are forced to start over?

On 9/5/2018 at 4:02 AM, AyeMandaPanda said:

I suggested a long while back = WAY more than a year ago AND 2 years ago AND 3 or 4 years ago, (etc)  that key areas (high loot areas), like mil bases and airports, should be NO-LOG zones.

1 ) - If you log out in a NO-LOG ZONE your avatar stays in place for 3 minutes - that's 180 whole seconds = That's a a REALLY LONG TIME for it to be standing in game vulnerable; in a high risk area .. So if (for instance) you were trapped in a building in a gunfight in a NO-LOG ZONE, you'd stand a much better chance of surviving if you stay in-game to fight it out, or trying to make a break ,or surrendering .. that would be a lot MORE realistic.

2 ) - If you do anyway log out in a NO-LOG ZONE, then when you log in again (after waiting 3 whole minutes for your avatar to leave the last game) you arrive at a random freshspawn point, but keeping all your gear.

A lot of the DayZ fighting takes place around high loot zones. So you'd be in a place where you MUST really go through with the consequences, and can't log out and hope your avatar will leave the game before the opponent realizes you are 'really gone' and comes in to get it  .. that would be Fine and make better Gameplay. Three minutes is a LONG time, in those situations.
People complain it's TOO LONG waiting to switch servers.. so this "serious" time delay would only be for the NO-LOG ZONES.  and most players know exactly where those key high loot places are, AND what they are getting into .. Setting perimeter zones is not a =BIG= programming problem in DayZ - a player could have a red light (now that we use HUDs) to tell him he was inside a ZONE.

I wanted - I proposed -  to have some TOTAL no-log zones (if you can't log out there, obviously you cant log back in there) where IF you logged out you died - so ANY contact in a high-risk high-loot area would be totally REAL and to-the-finish.. you escape or you die..  But many people complained that the server might drop them (not their fault) - that their mom might tell them to "stop playing Now" (not their fault), that server owners might misuse their power (eg, turn the server off to kill people in the Zone), that they could get stuck in a wall or glitch,  (and a few other objections)  - And that it would be easy & fast for hoppers to run out of the ZONE, hop, and then run back in (I don't agree about that last one - if they did that they'd be entering the zone the same way everyone does)  & etc, etc ..  so there were a few hundred threads of discussion and 10000 comments.. for years.

So  - eventually a 'short delay' was introduced by BI when a player changes servers quickly, anywhere on the map.. (I don't remember how many seconds it is, it's just a pause with a countdown..anyone remember how long?) -  Also your avatar stays on the map after you log out for X seconds.. OK - so it's good to find a quiet place to log out.  ALSO it stops players in firefights from switching servers, moving behind their opponent, and switching back in .. But it's not a "long" delay and so it does NOT discourage server hoppers. Hopping is BY FAR the quickest easiest way of getting from one high loot area to the next (ie the same high loot area) - on the next server, and then the next server after that ..

I say "3 Minutes" because most everyone ranted and howled that waiting "4 minutes" to log back in was just totally unplayable and unacceptable  - even if it only happened under special circumstances = because they MADE it happen - and a player could avoid that "punishment" just by getting OUT of the NO LOG ZONE.  Hell, even if the server goes down, or you get kicked, you spawn with all your gear somewhere else.. (but the answer to 240 seconds was NO.. too long)

Hmm.. haven't mentioned this subject for about a  =CENTURY=.   It's been argued through (different ideas) for years. PC players found their own solutions, eg like playing on private hives, or they just got used to it, or changed their play-style, or found ways to deal with it (waiting for hoppers and sniping them?) .. whatever.. It's a thing about DayZ that is part of DayZ ..ya know?  The subject doesn't get any airtime & players give it no thought anymore.

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*

I keep getting kicked from servers, and now I cant join any. Is this the mechanic designed to stop server hopping? Good in theory maybe, but pretty bad when you can't get your game servers working reliably and people are server hopping because the game is forcing them to due to constant disconnects. This is one buggy pre-release! Do the developers actually want people playing their game or not.

My character was full kitted, 5 days looting...

I'v been to military, was looting in baracks and someone spawn right behind me in the same barack... and killed me in 2 seconds...

Don't hear noting, no footsteps...  at least add some noise that we can here someone spawning directly on you? Not?

Was pissed off and quit directly the game.

On 05/09/2018 at 11:41 AM, zPaniK said:

Yeah bro I agree everyone I come across is fully kitted out it definitely ruins aspect of skill and survival