Matt Aubry

Inventory Slots

Question

I'm still trying to figure out how to manage my inventory. I have a mountaineering backpack, but yet I still have to keep dropping things to free up my hands to then pick something up to manipulate or create.  For example, I have a hatchet and a kitchen knife. I have the hatchet in my hands to kill a chicken, but then to clean the bird, I have to get out the knife (fine) however, to get the knife out the hatchet will not go into my inventory, I have to drop it and then put the knife into my hands. Then to get the hatchet back, I have to put the knife away and pick up the hatchet.  Like I said, I have tons of inventory space in my backpack so are there rules on what can go where? I get the whole freeing up my hands to work, however, I have issues trying to get what is in my hand back into the inventory. Also, how do you get things to stop going into your jacket when you have 60 some slots open in the backpack. Is there a list or something of items that only go in certain locations. 

5 answers to this question

The inventory sizes are bugged and we are working on resolving the issue. Sorry to destroy some theories here.
Please read the known issues before posting here.

Edited by ImpulZ
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

The inventory is a complicated beast to work with, but I will try my best to explain:

Your inventory is based on Weight and Pockets. The reason why you can't get the hatchet into your inventory, is because you don't have a pocket available to put it in, so your stuck with holding or dropping it. A lot of people have confused the top right numbers as "slots." This is not the case. The top right number is how much weight that piece of baggage or clothing can carry.

Pockets: Each piece of Clothing. or Baggage, has a certain amount of space/pockets. You will only know how many pockets each clothing has by putting items in until you can't insert anymore. (That's the only way to my knowledge on how to find this out.) For you to freely move items around, back and forth, or properly use your hot wheel/bar, you must have at least one open pocket to work with. Be sure to check how many pockets you have, and keep some open pockets available when using your hot wheel or switching items. Feeling ALL your pockets, will force you to have to hold or drop the item in your hands, because that is the only available place for it to go.

Weight: Each piece of clothing, or Baggage, has a certain amount of weight that it can withstand. For a piece of clothing, or Baggage, It shows how much weight it can hold at the top right. For each actual ITEM, like a can opener, the top right number shows how much it weighs. I know that sounds confusing, and it is. So think of it this way, CLOTHES show how much it can hold, ITEMS show their weight. That's as simple as i can put it. (If you want to see the actual weight of your clothing or backpack, look at the very top of your inventory screen, where it shows all your equipped clothing, that number at the top right, on that specific equipped clothing bar, shows how much the actual piece weighs.) No matter how many pockets you have, you still have to abide by the weight limit of each piece of clothing.

Micromanaging: To micromanage your inventory, press and hold A button on the item you want to move, and press RT or LT to move it to the desired piece of clothing. You can not individually move the item side to side. You can only micromanage items by moving them from clothing to clothing. (or bags) Try to fit certain items in certain pieces of clothing or bags so you can be sure to utilize every pocket, and also abide by the weight. Small items in pants or shirt/jacket, while larger items can go into your back pack, or tactical vest.

Its super complicated, and I understand they are going for realism here. I feel the inventory idea here is actually not a bad idea, buts its easily dis functional when the guns bug out and don't reload properly, or when items disappear suddenly (which could be in cooking pots, protected containers, or medical bags). It would literally take someone extremely OCD (Like me) to be able to organize this system to the fullest and understand the true functions behind it, but for gaming, it is much too complicated and frustrating to deal with. So i wish they pick one or the other. Pockets or Weight. Not both.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ImpulZ said:

The inventory sizes are bugged and we are working on resolving the issue. Sorry to destroy some theories here.
Please read the known issues before posting here.

Your known issues say "bags" aren't using the fullest capacity. So are you saying that pockets for clothes aren't a thing either? And your "known issues" are just short summaries of the issues. At least I'm trying to help and give full detail to help people be able to manage the game for right now. 8 years go by since the Xbox version of this game was announced, and it passes to Game Preview and is just barely operational? Can't reload a gun, can't manage inventory properly, can't aim properly, can't stay connected to servers for more than 3 hours tops, and the list goes on and on that does NOT include content that obviously has not been included yet, like the tents and base building. The map is huge and beautiful, so it shows where all the effort went into, but it doesn't matter when the whole base game is to "Survive" and you can't even perform the required mechanics needed to do that. Pockets, Weight, either way, its an operational way to help people maintain a good inventory set up, until this issue gets "fixed." 

On a side note: Wild Card was a fairly small studio as well, and built Ark: Survival Evolved. It was a big deal as being one of the first games to start out the new Game Preview program on Xbox. Even though their maps were huge and graphics were pretty good, they made absolutely sure that we all could do the number 1 thing that mattered, and that was to Survive, obviously because that was the name of the game! Making sure all the base mechanics were touched on before ever thinking of pushing the game out on Preview. The server frame rate was pretty bad, but at least they were able to maintain a connection for more than 3 hours. It was mostly based on structure lag and over populated servers. Their way of handling Game preview was collecting feedback on what to include into the game later, adding on content that players enjoyed. Not using players as free game testers.

I know a lot of people have been on the band wagon saying, "Its a beta, what do you expect?" Maybe if I am going to pay $40 bucks on a Game Preview game, I lower my expectations for the game to at least have the most basic mechanics to work properly. Everything else I understand would come together in time, and with the help of the players (which is what game preview is for) it can become something amazing. 

Sorry to destroy your basic idea design of the game, maybe you should put more details into your "known issues" descriptions.

• Like 1

Got the new update. Hopefully this little farce won't be an issue if the inventory is set properly now.