Tarkules

DayZ just blew my mind

This game is half empty and yet - it blew my mind. And I'm talking about XBox version (Paid Trial version), with all the known bugs and incomplete features.

I was so frustrated in the first 48 hours, looking for answers on forums, wikis and youtube, looking for some explanations about what can I do in general and what functions are not working on the current trial version.

I have many basic questions like how-to's and even more simple questions (maybe silly ones) like why isnt there night, camping, base building and what to do except for running all the time. But I got it now (thanks for youtubers, or guys like Minder who took it to a new level of RPG fun). Also, it could have been useful if there was list of working/not working features especially for noobs like me that are unfamiliar with DayZ's in-game depth.

I urge the company to invest more in updating the Wiki, its really hard to find relevant info to the latest version, and there is so much to take in. If it could be done, I believe it would help alot of players.

As for the game itself:

A wonderful adventure. I have spent so much time in this since Friday, and I can't wait for the official version.

Well done!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Beans 2

I have to agree, I was super frustrated when I first started playing as I couldn't find food/water didn't understand what was and wasn't working.  Last night though I had an enlightening moment when I manged to find a bottle of water and water source.  From there I was able to orientate myself with an online map and navigate the land looking for loot and the enjoyment factor went right up!!  until, that is I died randomly in the NE Airfield, not sure if I got sniped or what it was, happily chomping on a tin of beans, then dead....
But now I know how to navigate and what I can and can't do it brilliant.  Just need to get a wee group on the go and it will be better. 

• Like 1

I agree as well.  My first few experiences we're frustrating.  Having a hard time finding food and water.  Water is easier now using the online maps and food is better, although can be hard at first.  Last character I had (before dying due to my controller battery dying and a zombie killing me!!) I had no issues with food.  I had found a knife so I was killing chickens and cooking them with a fire..etc.  I was also finding a lot more.

Glad to see people actually enjoying the game! I have been following DayZ since early PC days especially took interest in the game from watching Frankie. I’ve always wanted to play the game and was blown away when out of nowhere it was on game preview with Xbox. I hadn’t been keeping up with news or anything so it caught me by surprise when I seen a YouTube video on my feed reviewing the early access game. I’ve already put at least a day of playtime in and I have enjoyed every bit of it frustrating parts and everything else. I’m super excited on what’s to come for the game and super happy I can experience the game and all in the comfort of my chair. Good luck surviving!!!!

Theres a map app you can download  works great. iZurvivedayz you make a profile set a password and you can have others on the app join you and set up meet spots etc. Keep an eye out for apple and pear trees they are a life saver. 

Edited by Chris Burton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yea its pretty fun once you get past the learning curve only thing I cant figure out is why I cant harvest animals. Arent they sopppsed to drop meat and feathers etc? Or do you have to prop a fire next to thr body?

I've been playing for nearly a week and I'm hooked. Even my wife watches me play and chips in with "Is that an apple tree over there?".

I need to get a mic asap as I'd like to get in a group or interact more with other players but I'm happy for the moment learning the map, and generally getting used the game before I push on with the people side.

My favourite bit so far was boxing a zombie into a shed and closing the door on him before I ran away (No weapons)!

• Haha 2

On 05/09/2018 at 1:19 PM, Maytrix001 said:

I agree as well.  My first few experiences we're frustrating.  Having a hard time finding food and water.  Water is easier now using the online maps and food is better, although can be hard at first.  Last character I had (before dying due to my controller battery dying and a zombie killing me!!) I had no issues with food.  I had found a knife so I was killing chickens and cooking them with a fire..etc.  I was also finding a lot more.

I thought I read that you can't make a fire yet, it's not implemented, I've been eating everything raw and not even tried to make a fire because I read you can't. 

3 hours ago, Tino81 said:

I've been playing for nearly a week and I'm hooked. Even my wife watches me play and chips in with "Is that an apple tree over there?".

I need to get a mic asap as I'd like to get in a group or interact more with other players but I'm happy for the moment learning the map, and generally getting used the game before I push on with the people side.

My favourite bit so far was boxing a zombie into a shed and closing the door on him before I ran away (No weapons)!

I've tried talking to every person I've come across, must be at least 50+ (I've being playing a lot) and not one person has spike back. I'm not in a party I'm in game chat. As geared as I am I'm not letting someone shoot me in the back who doesn't respond. They die first.

Nothing worse than walking up to someone with their gun on their back and asking if they're friendly only for them to pull their gun out. What are they thinking? Why waste your life ? Lol

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CarlTheGooner said:

I've tried talking to every person I've come across, must be at least 50+ (I've being playing a lot) and not one person has spike back. I'm not in a party I'm in game chat. As geared as I am I'm not letting someone shoot me in the back who doesn't respond. They die first.

Nothing worse than walking up to someone with their gun on their back and asking if they're friendly only for them to pull their gun out. What are they thinking? Why waste your life ? Lol

I've come across two who killed me. One I followed and lost track of them in the woods. I've heard gunshots in one of the cities but stayed away from it.

Already earmarked a mic for pay day :)

1 hour ago, CarlTheGooner said:

I thought I read that you can't make a fire yet, it's not implemented, I've been eating everything raw and not even tried to make a fire because I read you can't. 

I had a difficult time too in the beginning. Lol water and food was scarce. Now though Im generally set. I find apple trees easy, water is easy to stockpile. If place is looking empty just find new server. Lol now all I need to do is find trustworthy group. I was in 10+ group last night and it had mole that gave out server info. They killed 6 and accidently sniped mole in end. He let it slip in chat when happened. Hehe he "said why u shoot me" then was crap wrong chat. I mowed down remain 4 with ak for saftey and logged out. Lesson learned be weary and hide in bushes or bus stops.

On 9/7/2018 at 8:27 PM, KingofPingBong said:

I had a difficult time too in the beginning. Lol water and food was scarce. Now though Im generally set. I find apple trees easy, water is easy to stockpile. If place is looking empty just find new server. Lol now all I need to do is find trustworthy group. I was in 10+ group last night and it had mole that gave out server info. They killed 6 and accidently sniped mole in end. He let it slip in chat when happened. Hehe he "said why u shoot me" then was crap wrong chat. I mowed down remain 4 with ak for saftey and logged out. Lesson learned be weary and hide in bushes or bus stops.

That sounds pretty epic bro!

On 9/7/2018 at 6:29 AM, CarlTheGooner said:

I think a lot of people don’t know about the push to talk function. I didn’t for a while either. There’s certainly no hand holding in this game, which is a good thing.