Sign in to follow this  
carbine781 (DayZ)

Just went on an adventure with strangers for first time in years

I'm a long time fan of DayZ. Used to play the mod religiously back in the day, and I bought the DayZ game preview today when it came out and I had a "classic" DayZ experience I wanted to share. I also want to talk about a concern I had regarding this, however.

I was exploring the Lumbermill area near Berezino, having recently spawned nearby. I saw three players in a field, and ran over to say hi. Currently, everybody on Xbox that I've run into has been relatively friendly. That being said, one guy started trying to punch me, but was interrupted when his friend got on the mic and said "Cole stop it, sorry for my friend".

We talked for a bit and decided to go on an adventure and find better gear. This was there first time every playing the game. I remembered that the NE airfield was nearby and suggested we go there. One of the guys was on that online DayZ map and decided it was a good idea, and he sort of led the way. We headed north, but we didn't just pick a direction and run through the woods. We followed roads, and looked at road signs and buildings to figure out where we were. We got ontop of a hill where we could look around, and I saw Black Mountain in the distance and realized where we were, and led the way from there.

It was truly refreshing to just meet strangers and go on an adventure with them. It was also entertaining trying to find food and water. We treated every water pump we could find like a place of worship and for some reason, they only had "human meat", but hey, times are desperate in the apocalypse.

My only concern about this is that I believe that interactions like this will become less and less rare, and be almost non existent in 6 months from now, cause zombies aren't really a threat and people will realize that they don't need other people to survive. Gotta enjoy these experiences while you can I guess.

• Beans 4

I had an encounter whilst looting a lone house alone a dirt road. I ALWAYS close doors when I'm inside of houses/buildings looting, makes me feel safe, I guess. I was upstairs trying to work out the inventory system (I'm still new xD) and heard the door open downstairs, I felt panicked, but good, this was my first encounter. Went into game to shout 'Ok, you downstairs, I mean no harm, please let me go on my way'.

No reply.. I waited for 2/3 mins before putting my mosin away and running, I was heading for the door when the intruder stepped out in my path pointing an M4 at me, I stopped dead in my tracks, then shouted 'I'm friendly don't shoot!'.

To my surprise he didn't shoot me, we partied up and went to the main airfield to loot, turns out he usually bandits other players and takes their loot, but this time I was lucky, he didn't even have ammo in the M4 xD.

• Beans 1