Sign in to follow this  
ChipThaRipper

Melee System Fix

Hello, I am Chip Tha Ripper.

Recently, I noticed that the melee system was a bit messed up. I have got into melee battles where we are both standing still and hitting eachother in the head with axes and it's pretty random on who dies in these 30 second battles of just spamming left click. I even tried attacking someone on the ground and after shooting them in the chest (which is when he laid down in a house) I proceeded to hit him 5+ times as he got up (2 times in the head) but nothing happened and took a lot more hitting and chasing.

How about we go back to it being 1 shot kills lol

You cannot expect it to work fair, if you just spam. Use that block option, use that dodge, heavy attacks, stun him, there is a lot of mechanics that can help you win. The factor that take care about who is gonna win, depends on how healthy you are, how fed, hydrated, clothes you wear, ect ect. 

1 hour ago, Vernon_Price said:

You cannot expect it to work fair, if you just spam. Use that block option, use that dodge, heavy attacks, stun him, there is a lot of mechanics that can help you win. The factor that take care about who is gonna win, depends on how healthy you are, how fed, hydrated, clothes you wear, ect ect. 

right VP ! ..   And know your weapon .. I met a guy ingame who was awful-deadly with an Ice Hockey Stick (!) .. totally DEADLY.. (does that sound unlikely?)  - He'd move side to side, forward and back, step past the guy and turn, talking all the time, in range, out of range, moving & talking,  then step in and hit at the exact swing distance for a full-on 100% headshot.. WHAM .. step out again, worked every time.  He never got hit in melee  and it never took him more than a couple of head hits for the other guy to go down, usually before the other had completed one wild swing at the air .. Damned neat to see this hockey stick action.. he never missed. He knew the movement and the on-target range to an inch - I was impressed & I  tried that weapon myself and I found it very poor, useless for me.   But he had the movement and the STANCE and the PLACING and he knew the DISTANCE to land a full-power headshot.  Made it look very easy & he never took a scratch..  That was something to see . (Guy with an Irish accent - So fire-axe people  look out for him).  No weapon is any good unless you know how to use it.

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Beans 1

I think the mechanics you guys are talking about are quite difference than the ones I am seeing. I am talking about people standing still, facing me, braindead, and me hitting them in the head or neck area 10+ times before he decides he wants to retaliate. I am not exaggerating the numbers at all, there have been times when people just let me kill them, but they take tons of melee damage to the head (30-40 seconds or more of constant headshots) before they actually die.

On 8/25/2018 at 2:07 AM, ChipThaRipper said:

..//.. I am not exaggerating the numbers at all
..//..  (30-40 seconds or more of constant headshots) before they actually die.

30-40 seconds of head-shots  is between 60 to 80 hits - with an axe ( an axe takes 0.5 seconds strike time per blow) ..

hmm ..

The last I heard (- hey, this may NOT be up to date. If the stats have changed please someone tell me? ) :

Stats for fire axe (if that's what you use)  per hit =  
Shock damage   100 - 10000     
Blood damage   -150
Health damage  -100

Stats for player:
Max un-shocked state  = 5000   
max blood  state  = 5000
max health = 5000

SO - just your first 10 hits you mention COULD deliver ( ... if they ARE hits):

shock damage = 1000 (if you're really unlucky) or up to 10000 (if you're really lucky)
blood damage   -1500 (definitely)
health damage  -1000 (definitely)

But 60 hits in about 30 seconds gives your victim a minimum shock value drop of 6000 (the ABSOLUTE minimum) and on average  loads him with around  276000 shock damage.
So 60 hits will definitely do it, - (fo' sure, dude! .. wow!) if you do "actually" hit the guy each time. 

Just to say:
Blood  (player max = 5000) goes down from max depending on Injury, Hunger, Thirst, Temperature, Disease.  
Health (player max = 5000) affects how much damage player can take before losing consciousness or dying. Health loss occurs through Trauma, Injury, Hunger, Starvation, Thirst, Temperature, Disease .
Too much shock delivered in a short time - [the players shock stat changes rapidly] - and the player falls unconscious, even if his other stats are good.

This shock delivery ( = fast change of shock stat )  is why a player can fall down ga-ga the first time you hit him in the head with a fire-axe. 

If these states  ( the main stats for melee effect )  are out of date or have been skewed - someone give me a nod, thanx.. Note I left out armor and headgear and other stats to keep everything simple. Bring me up to date if i'm wrong or point me to the info, thanx.

ps - natch, Chip, if you both just stand face to face and "spam axe" at each other, whichever of you goes down first will be totally decided by chance.. (also -  spamming faster than every 0.5 seconds will not help you at all in an axe fight). 

I'd say (just IMO)  its wrong attitude, or lag, or lack of melee training, no tactics, or bad judge of distance, or wrong keypress timing (don't be offended, i'm not good at melee, Ive met plenty of folk can beat me with their bare fists..) ... OR maybe there's something seriously wrong with the game that other folk haven't noticed yet? 

xxp

Is this about 0.63 spoken? If so, forget all the values you know from 0.62 .... in 0.63 your char should only have 100 healthpoints ... if it's still like that ... I do not know (was at stress test # 10 nearby like that .) Do not stick to values in 0.63 ... it's a huge WIP framework.