harrykane140693

Dayz standalone Full release Refund question.

irst off I am not a troll just asking a legitimate question.

Is it true that when an early access game enters full release there is a period of time that steam has to offer a refund based on "This game is not what i expected"?

Isn't this in place because a game could market as a FPS in EA but turn into a racing game on release?

If this is true then isn't it a good possibility that Dayz standalone will never exit EA because they don't have the money to refund all the people that would, justifiably, want one?

Whats to stop people from simply saying "it wasn't what I expected" for every early access game they buy - I should try that with my beer drink the case then return the bottles and tell them it wasn't what I expected 8P

I think there's a steam rule in place that says if you played under 2 hours you can get a refund?

40 minutes ago, tiadashi said:

Whats to stop people from simply saying "it wasn't what I expected" for every early access game they buy - I should try that with my beer drink the case then return the bottles and tell them it wasn't what I expected 8P

I think there's a steam rule in place that says if you played under 2 hours you can get a refund?

I refund most of the alpha games I buy on steam. Valve knows a lot of alpha releases are just milking cows for people/companies that love to exploit teenagers and their parents wallets, so most of the refunds are approved. They changed the 2 hour grace period of refunds to something similar to "no excessive game time or usage", so unless you played like 10 hours straight or kept the copy for a few days, it generally is approved.

I hate today's culture of alpha titles, it's disgusting how people let companies exploit them. Buying an alpha title and not refunding is basically telling them "hey, please let me buy your unfinished product without you having to guarantee anything". Look at PUBG, Raft, No Mans Sky, HZ, and all other alpha games. It's impressive how Valve, even though they make a lot of money out of it, allows their Steam platform take a big hit in both quality control and reputation.

I've got no hard feelings towards DayZ, it was the first alpha game I ever bought back on the very release day on Steam. This game has still given me value and I wouldn't refund it for anything. I however regret spending money on all other alpha titles. They are disgusting, and they only offered early alpha access because DayZ did, they saw how exploitable the market was. BI and DayZ though, they have earned their share of the money. None of the others did.

Everyone should refund alpha games. Play it a few hours and then refund, let the producers know that it's unacceptable to milk the market only to never live up to any expectations. A big practical example of this is PUBG, it's a complete mess and they never fixed anything important, because they couldn't - netcode being one of the biggest issues to date and it never got any love.

OP: I don't think you'll get a refund, factors like time owned and played are considered and you most likely owned it way past the refund window. 

Edited by daniel0056
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, harrykane140693 said:

irst off I am not a troll just asking a legitimate question.

Is it true that when an early access game enters full release there is a period of time that steam has to offer a refund based on "This game is not what i expected"?

Isn't this in place because a game could market as a FPS in EA but turn into a racing game on release?

If this is true then isn't it a good possibility that Dayz standalone will never exit EA because they don't have the money to refund all the people that would, justifiably, want one?

Pretty sure you're stuck with it, unless from what other posters said is the fact. More so, are you really that worried over $30?

• Beans 2

On 8/21/2018 at 5:45 AM, daniel0056 said:

I refund most of the alpha games I buy on steam. Valve knows a lot of alpha releases are just milking cows for people/companies that love to exploit teenagers and their parents wallets, so most of the refunds are approved. They changed the 2 hour grace period of refunds to something similar to "no excessive game time or usage", so unless you played like 10 hours straight or kept the copy for a few days, it generally is approved.

I hate today's culture of alpha titles, it's disgusting how people let companies exploit them. Buying an alpha title and not refunding is basically telling them "hey, please let me buy your unfinished product without you having to guarantee anything". Look at PUBG, Raft, No Mans Sky, HZ, and all other alpha games. It's impressive how Valve, even though they make a lot of money out of it, allows their Steam platform take a big hit in both quality control and reputation.

I've got no hard feelings towards DayZ, it was the first alpha game I ever bought back on the very release day on Steam. This game has still given me value and I wouldn't refund it for anything. I however regret spending money on all other alpha titles. They are disgusting, and they only offered early alpha access because DayZ did, they saw how exploitable the market was. BI and DayZ though, they have earned their share of the money. None of the others did.

Everyone should refund alpha games. Play it a few hours and then refund, let the producers know that it's unacceptable to milk the market only to never live up to any expectations. A big practical example of this is PUBG, it's a complete mess and they never fixed anything important, because they couldn't - netcode being one of the biggest issues to date and it never got any love.

OP: I don't think you'll get a refund, factors like time owned and played are considered and you most likely owned it way past the refund window. 

Maybe you should stick to buying finished games because it sounds like you do not understand the point of an alpha.  

• Beans 6

On 8/24/2018 at 8:15 PM, schwaBAM said:

Maybe you should stick to buying finished games because it sounds like you do not understand the point of an alpha.  

No that's not how it works. The pressure should be on the developers. They should be required to set a release date, and they should be required to specify the features that consider the game to be complete. If they cannot live up to either the deadline or the features specified, all consumers who request a refund on the set release date should get one - if the title does not live up to the specification on that date.

That's how alpha should work. The consumer should not have to invest in developers, and not be guaranteed a final game. I want to support development of good titles, but no developer is delivering today - so, instead I refund most alpha games I buy, if they don't provide a good player experience already during alpha. It's not my fault developers today are exploiting the market.

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2018 at 5:05 AM, daniel0056 said:

No that's not how it works. The pressure should be on the developers. They should be required to set a release date, and they should be required to specify the features that consider the game to be complete. If they cannot live up to either the deadline or the features specified, all consumers who request a refund on the set release date should get one - if the title does not live up to the specification on that date.

That's how alpha should work. The consumer should not have to invest in developers, and not be guaranteed a final game. I want to support development of good titles, but no developer is delivering today - so, instead I refund most alpha games I buy, if they don't provide a good player experience already during alpha. It's not my fault developers today are exploiting the market.

Again, you do not understand the point of an alpha.  Its similar to a kickstarter.  If you do not agree with it, stick to buying finished games.  Your reply stated nothing of any substance because you only have an opinion; you do not understand game development on any level, and therefore, should stick to buying finished games.  The people that want to be involved in an alpha, and help with a games progress, are the ones who should buy it.  

Edited by schwaBAM

3 hours ago, schwaBAM said:

Again, you do not understand the point of an alpha.  Its similar to a kickstarter.  If you do not agree with it, stick to buying finished games.  Your reply stated nothing of any substance because you only have an opinion; you do not understand game development on any level, and therefore, should stick to buying finished games.  The people that want to be involved in an alpha, and help with a games progress, are the ones who should buy it.  

what he said :P

it is a risk, you could jet 'jipped' and the normal course of action is to complain and not trust that developer (don't know the developer, don't wanna risk it, then wait). Buying into an alpha is buying into an idea, which may changed due to alpha players feedback, unforeseen limitation, changes in the market, changes in laws, changes in technology,changes in staff....

so you cant be bound as a developer to a set release date or a ridged roabmap... even with the real rip offs.... i would hate to see alphas and kickstarers get regulated (after all, to back it is a personal choice,stop taking my sovereignty!!), because people that couldn't not wait to see if the game gets finished/is what was expect, but wanna play it now ><

its risk and reward; you get to play early, you get a discount, you get to give feedback and shaped the game (after all, they are gonna listen to any common voice forming from backers), but you could buy into a flop, or a con... 

alpha access has let developers get lazy in some cases (they have the money before they finished the product, not their cash on the line) but has let smaller developers flourish, and gets games published that are to risky for a company to put their own cash on.

• Beans 1

READ.

If you didn't know DayZ was a troubled project, the blame falls on you.

Reading steam reviews and most of the player impressions would tell you exactly what you're getting into. Reading the status reports will inform you of the rest.

Please see my current signature for further clarification.

Read, read, read.

There is nearly 5 years of discussion on all things DayZ which would likely answer most questions and help people decide if they should be involved.

• Like 2
  • Beans 5

I bought the standalone dayz, but I will not ask for refund. For me dayz was a good idea and a good concept made in a undead troll game engine. The AI in this game is ridiculous, a lot of crash when trying to do something. Doubtful decisions, for example, zombies can climb or jump walls, but players can not, interaction with the environment is very poor. I'll probably buy a  Arma 4, but no more in early access. And a Warning for de devs  of Bohemia Interactive have fallen asleep in time, game engines with the UE4 are already managing to offer a quality game with huge maps. Scum in its early access already has a map of 12x12 and the end will be 24x24km much larger than any map of the bohemia made to this day in the Arma  series. Pls React Bohemia and make a state of art game engine!!!!.  Forget the Enfusion that's practically a patchwork, and offer your loyal audience a state of the art game engine with inverse kinematics, merge blend targets,  nonlinear animation, morph targets, animation layers, advanced renderer, and physics system that really works. These are my heartfelt criticisms of the current state of Dayz. In a long time I buy products of bohemia and dayz the only big mistake of them until today.

Umm... Altis from A3 is 270 square km. Scums map is supposed to grow but I'm not sure where you're getting your info from.

• Beans 2

On 8/21/2018 at 11:01 AM, TheCreeper (DayZ) said:

Pretty sure you're stuck with it, unless from what other posters said is the fact. More so, are you really that worried over $30?

Woah, slow down, Monopoly Guy.. $30 is a lot to some people..

2 hours ago, kataro said:

I bought the standalone dayz, but I will not ask for refund. For me dayz was a good idea and a good concept made in a undead troll game engine. The AI in this game is ridiculous, a lot of crash when trying to do something. Doubtful decisions, for example, zombies can climb or jump walls, but players can not, interaction with the environment is very poor. I'll probably buy a  Arma 4, but no more in early access. And a Warning for de devs  of Bohemia Interactive have fallen asleep in time, game engines with the UE4 are already managing to offer a quality game with huge maps. Scum in its early access already has a map of 12x12 and the end will be 24x24km much larger than any map of the bohemia made to this day in the Arma  series. Pls React Bohemia and make a state of art game engine!!!!.  Forget the Enfusion that's practically a patchwork, and offer your loyal audience a state of the art game engine with inverse kinematics, merge blend targets,  nonlinear animation, morph targets, animation layers, advanced renderer, and physics system that really works. These are my heartfelt criticisms of the current state of Dayz. In a long time I buy products of bohemia and dayz the only big mistake of them until today.

Scum is going to die a quick death if they don't get their 3pp camera under control. It's not suppose to work like that in 1pp but it does. A LOT of people stopped playing due to that issue plus desync and lag. In 1pp players aren't suppose to disappear yet they do. SCUM has a LONG way to go to catch up and the map is boring to traverse. Size means fuck all if the map is boring. Pretty scenery isn't enough.

Most of the better known streamers stopped playing it upon public release. That says a LOT right there.

27 minutes ago, droefheid said:

Then they shouldn't be buying EA games on Steam, right?

6 minutes ago, creature said:

Then they shouldn't be buying EA games on Steam, right?

Maybe this was a treat after payday? You don't know the other person's circumstance, just because an amount of money is small/large to you, doesn't mean it's the same to someone else.

Edited by droefheid
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, droefheid said:

Maybe this was a treat after payday? You don't know the other person's circumstance, just because an amount of money is small/large to you, doesn't mean it's the same to someone else.

Either way, if $30 is a lot of money to said person, they need to reevaluate life choices. In such a situation, purchasing an unfinished video game isn't a good one.

• Beans 2

39 minutes ago, droefheid said:

I bought DayZ when I had my job flipping burgers, paying my own bills and rent. I know how money can be tight, but still, crying over $30USD...............................................

40 minutes ago, creature said:

Either way, if $30 is a lot of money to said person, they need to reevaluate life choices. In such a situation, purchasing an unfinished video game isn't a good one.

They never incited they were reevaluating life choices.. I agree, don't cry over an unfinished game, that's not my point here. My point is, so what, they bought something in their opinion costed a larger sum of money. To be told that $30 is nothing to be worried about, like that could never be a large amount of money to someone? 

38 minutes ago, TheCreeper (DayZ) said:

I bought DayZ when I had my job flipping burgers, paying my own bills and rent. I know how money can be tight, but still, crying over $30USD...............................................

Okay, that's good for you man, read the above reply.

• Like 1

An NES cartridge was around $35, which was way more money back in the 80's.

We still bought these buggy, short, over priced games, on the chance that it might be something special.

No web reviews, no good magazines, just take a chance, buyer beware.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Beans 1

34 minutes ago, droefheid said:

They never incited they were reevaluating life choices.. I agree, don't cry over an unfinished game, that's not my point here. My point is, so what, they bought something in their opinion costed a larger sum of money. To be told that $30 is nothing to be worried about, like that could never be a large amount of money to someone? 

Okay, that's good for you man, read the above reply.

If $30USD is a lot of money to some one, one would think their time would be better spent looking for better education or employment, not playing games. He bought an unfinished game, knowingly, knew the return policies then well after the fact cries about how he can't return it, nor can be bother to reply to his own thread, yeah. He took the loss and moved on, why do you keep responding to a crap thread, better yet, why do I?

• Beans 2

Life is Hell

Evil Exists, man

xxP

• Beans 2

There are rules and regulations in place that if you have played under a certain time you may refund. However if you consider BI history with other titles, I'm willing to give them a chance. I waited until ark was full release, spent way too much money, but hey.

My first experience with an early access was rust. And I despised that game. Love the concept, hate the community. So I dont buy much into Early access, it isnt my cup of tea, but every once in a while, I support them. 

If for example you purchase an early access game and despise it because it isnt complete, yet come around an still purchase a game such as Call of a duty or Destinthingy.. I urge you to re-evaluate your purchasing priorities and take a serious look at the games you are buying...

Also, I refer you to this disclaimer:

https://store.steampowered.com/earlyaccessfaq

Where you can read statements such as this:

Its up to the developer to determine when they are ready to 'release'. Some developers have a concrete deadline in mind, while others will get a better sense as the development of the game progresses. You should be aware that some teams will be unable to 'finish' their game. So you should only buy an Early Access game if you are excited about playing it in its current state.

Where you can have a chance to be a part of this:

Get immediate access to games that are being developed with the community's involvement. These are games that evolve as you play them, as you give feedback, and as the developers update and add content.

And the developer can do these with no limitations:

Connect with your community early

Get crucial feedback and bug reports

Update as often as you'd like

But hey, what do I know, atleast we get a complete game and not a microtransaction, season pass, collectors edition, drip fed, hunk of junk that is milking millions and millions from its community. But hey, cod is looking pretty new and different this year right? It's totally original like some early access games right?

Buyer beware. Some have the money to throw away. Others dont. I game as a hobby. If it flops it flops.

For every $10 spent, can I get 5 hours out of it? That is my baseline. Whether it fails or not. Did i get my value for the price.

Survival games are for every $1 spent, can I get 10 hours of gameplay. I.e since I bought dayZ om xbox, can I get 400 hours out of it. Well, I'm halfway there and I play a few hours a day, maybe more on weekends. So with the game as is, I've halfway got my worth of the game. And there is loads of content coming.

Edited by Bombarding
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 1:30 PM, kataro said:

DayZ Enfusion engine has inverse kinematics ( IK ) Non linear animatios.. and all that good stuff what do you mean? 😄