Sign in to follow this  
Recinema

Passive Character Progression

I'm probably going to get heat for thinking this but I think DayZ needs some sort of progression system. Right now what holds DayZ back from really being a survival game is that the only value your character has is the loot on their back. Other than that it doesn't matter if you live or die. If you are grouped with friends and you die, you just suffer a long run back to them if they don't have a car. In my OPINION, DayZ should add something that gives your personal character more value and makes people value their life more. A passive progression system could add some value.

Basically over time your character should get better at certain things the more they do them. For Example:

Increased Stamina pool - The longer you are alive and moving the more your stamina increases over time. The more you run then eventually the longer you can run. 
Strength - Characters can carry more before being slowed down as this stat slowly increases
Medical - Only thing I can think of is CPR. The more you perform CPR the better you get at it.
Fortitude - Surviving extreme conditions Cold/Heat the more you are able to resist it before going into hypothermia or hyperthermia
Artisan - Better success at repairing items/clothes

Theses are just a few examples that can  help a character with the overall environment  and give their character value without giving other players a disadvantage when fighting against that character. Just a thought.

2 hours ago, Recinema said:

..//..

Can we also have a passive Character Regression system, to even things out ? Like if you walk too far your feet hurt, and if you miss a shot you get nervous and your aim gets worse ?

It's called balance.  The moment you introduce stats to a game it becomes a balancing nightmare and a cookie cutter system.  This keeps everyone on a level playing field and requires the players to actually think before loading their character up with hundreds of rounds of ammo, armor and a ton of food

Character progression?

Sounds a lot like the "soft skill" issue. Where, either the devs implement some borderline useless skills just for those who want to fiddle around with something or, if these skills are to make a real difference between players, they end up unbalancing the game.

1 hour ago, Guy Smiley said:

It's called balance.  The moment you introduce stats to a game it becomes a balancing nightmare and a cookie cutter system.  This keeps everyone on a level playing field and requires the players to actually think before loading their character up with hundreds of rounds of ammo, armor and a ton of food

As  clearly stated by Guy Smiley.

8 hours ago, Recinema said:

Right now what holds DayZ back from really being a survival game is that the only value your character has is the loot on their back.

I value my character more and more with every hour I keep them alive.

I feel like an old man on these forums. This idea has been suggested soOo many times since 2012. The devs spoke of soft skills a long time ago. I dont think they are going to do it. I honestly dont remember anymore, its all a haze