nl

custom keybindings 0.63

I have bound "toggle raise weapon" to CTRL but most times when I push it it will raise and immediately lower again, usually it takes a few times before it stays raised.

Do others experience this too? BTW I use a mechanical keyboard (Steelseries Apex M500) and I wonder if that may be the issue? Maybe it continuously registers input?

Edited by nl
  • Beans 1

7 hours ago, nl said:

I have bound "toggle raise weapon" to CTRL but most times when I push it it will raise and immediately lower again, usually it takes a few times before it stays raised.

Do others experience this too? BTW I use a mechanical keyboard (Steelseries Apex M500) and I wonder if that may be the issue? Maybe it continuously registers input?

Check your other keybindings, especially the ones you THINK you already know how they act  - sometimes it is REALLY not obvious what they do.  - I set one single keypress to "stand up from prone and run forward" (sometimes useful ? ) - but other key settings were stopping it -  It took a while to understand which keys were preventing it from working as I wanted.  -  The key descriptions are "misleading" in some cases, until you are used to their real action. I did some tests and I found what was blocking the combo. Now it works.
For instance (dumb example) if you want to look back over your shoulder when running you need "look up left", not "look left" ..etc.. Seems strange to me but that's how it works. Check other keybind pages as well as the movement page.

xxp

• Beans 1

I have the same issue with g key. I had planned to investigate other binds as other poster mentioned. maybe tonight. same issue on .62

Keep in mind though keybinding is still not officially supported.

• Beans 1

I tried looking for duplicate binds and none exist. I also tried various other keys. The issue persists. As one might imagine, this is a disaster for any kind of PvP interaction.

Edited by noreaster
  • Beans 1

Some questions for those who might know:

Am I to understand that the functions previously performed by "G" and "H" keys, drop item in hands to ground and holster item currently in hands, respectively, are no longer supported?
Has anyone found a way to make it so the default LMB to perform continuous action overlaps with "F" interaction key when appropriate?  It is ohhhhh sooooo tedious having to hold that darned key down for 30-40 seconds at a time, over and over again.

What I have found, from a dev on the feedback site is that I had swapped my controls profile from 'dayznew' to 'dayz'. I forget why but iirc it was because I wasn't able to bind things that made the game playable, coming from the perspective of someone who uses 95%+ customized controls. For instance I use right mouse button to move forward.

Toggling ready stance has been removed in the new dayz controls profile and will be removed altogether from the game soon. This is now a press and hold function only. Without going to in-depth here as I have already typed out quite a bit at other areas of the internet; it's starting to look like this new  system is going to exclude me from playing this game entirely as there does not seem to be a way to streamline this functionality when you take into account all the different possible variables in a heat of the moment firefight. I can't at all comprehend why if I hit a keybind to aim down sights, it won't raise the weapon to my eye ready to fire. This is a long standing historical staple to first person shooters and even when strayed from historically it has been left mostly intact by having some form of toggleability usually related to stance.

tldr; toggle raise/lower weapon is being deprecated. That is why it doesn't work correctly.

13 minutes ago, noreaster said:

What I have found, from a dev on the feedback site is that I had swapped my controls profile from 'dayznew' to 'dayz'. I forget why but iirc it was because I wasn't able to bind things that made the game playable, coming from the perspective of someone who uses 95%+ customized controls. For instance I use right mouse button to move forward.

Toggling ready stance has been removed in the new dayz controls profile and will be removed altogether from the game soon. This is now a press and hold function only. Without going to in-depth here as I have already typed out quite a bit at other areas of the internet; it's starting to look like this new  system is going to exclude me from playing this game entirely as there does not seem to be a way to streamline this functionality when you take into account all the different possible variables in a heat of the moment firefight. I can't at all comprehend why if I hit a keybind to aim down sights, it won't raise the weapon to my eye ready to fire. This is a long standing historical staple to first person shooters and even when strayed from historically it has been left mostly intact by having some form of toggleability usually related to stance.

tldr; toggle raise/lower weapon is being deprecated. That is why it doesn't work correctly.

Before you go all ranting on how the devs are singling you out because you play a special way, someone will mod it for you.  Trust me.

1 hour ago, Guy Smiley said:

Before you go all ranting on how the devs are singling you out because you play a special way, someone will mod it for you.  Trust me.

I explained the facts exactly as they are for my specific circumstance and gave an answer to the topic at hand directly from a feedback tracker admin. I am not sorry if that offended you in any way.

3 minutes ago, noreaster said:

I explained the facts exactly as they are for my specific circumstance and gave an answer to the topic at hand directly from a feedback tracker admin. I am not sorry if that offended you in any way.

And I'm telling you that someone will mod it in for you when modding is released.  Also, these key commands are very broken at the moment and it's not just you who can't rebind.  

1 minute ago, Guy Smiley said:

And I'm telling you that someone will mod it in for you when modding is released.  Also, these key commands are very broken at the moment and it's not just you who can't rebind.  

Your first statement was a personal attack implying I think the devs are singling me out, as if I am the only person who uses custom keybinds. Beyond that, needing a mod to streamline the ability to aim a weapon is not a reasonable solution in my opinion for reasons so blatant and self evident I'm not going to go into further.

Beyond that, I still need to get in game to try and see if there is a combination which works fluidly; if I am able to keybind all the different possibilities at this point in time. As you probably read already I haven't ruled it out completely but under the current system that is definitely the way it's looking. There are a lot of people out there who don't even use custom controls who view this as a very clumsy approach to PvP interaction. Arma and therefor by nature DayZ already had a robust system for stances, readiness and aiming down sights. There was no reason to turn it upside, reinvent the wheel if you will.

That is all i have to say about this for now, till I have had a chance to thoroughly work out various possibilities.

4 hours ago, noreaster said:

it's starting to look like this new  system is going to exclude me from playing this game entirely as there does not seem to be a way to streamline this functionality when you take into account all the different possible variables in a heat of the moment firefight.

Pointing out what you said is not a personal attack

1 hour ago, noreaster said:

Your first statement was a personal attack implying I think the devs are singling me out, as if I am the only person who uses custom keybinds. Beyond that, needing a mod to streamline the ability to aim a weapon is not a reasonable solution in my opinion for reasons so blatant and self evident I'm not going to go into further.

Beyond that, I still need to get in game to try and see if there is a combination which works fluidly; if I am able to keybind all the different possibilities at this point in time. As you probably read already I haven't ruled it out completely but under the current system that is definitely the way it's looking. There are a lot of people out there who don't even use custom controls who view this as a very clumsy approach to PvP interaction. Arma and therefor by nature DayZ already had a robust system for stances, readiness and aiming down sights. There was no reason to turn it upside, reinvent the wheel if you will.

That is all i have to say about this for now, till I have had a chance to thoroughly work out various possibilities.

As for their controls, they are going with a system that appears to have the player manually do a lot of actions.  I don't think they will have any more toggling abilities in vanilla DayZ hence why i said you will have to wait for a modder to create what you want.

This BI change seems strange to me. (must be a reason)

A standard solution (in game programming) for an A/B action -  such as "lift to position A", "drop to position B" - is
<double tap> to lift and then <double tap> to drop

Alternatively  <single tap> to lift and <single tap> to drop can work,  as long as your taps are short enough - this is also a common standard toggle action - the player works out the tap speed required for his setup in half a minute. (it depends on his rig speed and how often the keyboard input is read, as well as the built-in game parameters )

AND   included with either of the above (on the same single key) at the same time -  the designers can include continuous keypress to lift, with auto drop on key release.

The player's setup decides if it has receive a "tap" or a "hold-down press"

Both options =  tap (raise) and tap (lower)  AND press to raise as long as the key is pressed, then lower when the keypress ends -  will both work simultaneously on one single key.  - IF it is programmed for this BY the game. It can't be done by reassigning keys. 
I don't see what software difficulty has led BI to depreciate tap, double tap, or tap=toggle in DayZ.  Maybe they can explain ??

alternative:

A keyboard reprogrammer software for gaming  (same functionality as a joystick programmer) should be able to deal with this, as long as BattleEye accepts it (which it should ? because the soft is located to read/manipulate keyboard input first and then send it on to the standard windows key-input reader, so it doesn't mess with the game files or the server link at all). 

I know of - for instance AutoHotKey (autohotkey.com) and there are others, AutoHotKey is open source, free.. But look around.. you need something that puts itself between the keyboard and the "PC keyboard input" so its not specific to any one soft (ie -  NOT like a Word Macro, for instance). 
- But for <key a = up and key b = down> you SHOULD find a combo that will do <key x click = hold key x "up" until next key x click, then do "down">

You will have to look around and mess with the free softs, I have never spent time with Auto Hot Key so I don't know if you can bend it to your desire. Plenty serious nerd folk say it is good stuff for Windows.
There is also SharpKey,  but I think that does a one to one remapping (and not much else?)   - May be a pain in the neck for you to sift softwares to find what you want (a key remapper with programmable combos) , but they DO exist.

Perhaps someone on the blog can advise.

ps  Im 100% left handed (ie mouse on left) so I want my right hand on the keyboard left side. I have done this for years, and usually map any new game to a similar key config to my last setup, so its pretty standard whatever I play, my most useful keys are on the number pad.  I've never needed a keyboard remapper software, so I've only seen them in passing.

If you find a solution, pass it along.

xxP