Recinema

The Main Problem with Consoles

What drew me to Dayz originally wasn't so much the survival aspect or the PVP. It was the player interactions. Dayz's most popular videos are based around it. Each interaction is different. It created intense situations and a unique atmosphere within the game. Who to trust, who to kill, who to betray. You never know what situation you would be in. Unfortunately, consoles are going to have a hard time capturing the same atmosphere and experience. That is because Xbox only allows communication from one source at a time.  Most players are going to be in xbox live parties, especially if they are with their friends. Because of that console players will never have the same experience as PC players. If someone is talking in game, you cannot hear them if you are in a party. Even if you could hear them then you run into the problem of being able to quickly respond to them. No one is going to open there menu and switch to game chat when they bump into a player. It takes too much time and will likely get the player killed. This is going to cause Dayz players on consoles to KOS with no interaction. This isn't really the devs fault. It is more of an xbox limitation since every game like this has the same problem. Xbox really needs to work in a push to talk function to quickly switch from party chat to game chat without losing the ability to hear either source. Anyways, I really hope the Devs have thought of a work around for this somehow. Otherwise Dayz will be just another Battle Royal game for xbox.

Edited by Recinema
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Recinema said:

If someone is talking in game, you cannot hear them if you are in a party.

It's even better. Will make the DayZ more realistic and more immersive ( especially if players will spawn with radios or they gonna be easy to find, there should be no problem ). 
Talk with friends in-game and not in 3rd party stuff, in worst case just call them on the phone and imagine its a radio lol.

Also the people ingame who are with group or friends will most likely KoS you anyway and solo players most likely will use ingame chat.
Otherwise there should be RP servers where KoS is not allowed without interaction/speciific "pvp area" etc.

Microsoft could simply add separate push to talk button for ingame chat, if thats a problem im sure they will fix it, but since they didn't fixed it i think not many ppl care about that.

Edited by exacomvm

Literally just press the home button, then select (menu button) on the controller and it switches to game chat. Takes 1.5 seconds. Boom problem solved.

• Like 4
  • Beans 3

8 hours ago, Recinema said:

This is going to cause Dayz players on consoles to KOS with no interaction. [...] Otherwise Dayz will be just another Battle Royal game for xbox.

The game has already turned into this. And that's sad.

People will be people, it was never DAYZ's intention of telling anyonehow to play. Just survive, the fact is XBOX via the Hub and XBOX Clubs provides more than enough ways for players to interact, chat, group up, and start factions easily seen by everyone in a way I'd debate may even rival the steam setup.

Either way, I hope you're right. Because I know at least a good 20-50 people on XBOX who plan to role the play the sjit out of it, and without raiders and bandits the game wouldn't be as intense and terrifying as it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

18 minutes ago, PureMarksman said:

People will be people, it was never DAYZ's intention of telling anyonehow to play. Just survive, the fact is XBOX via the Hub and XBOX Clubs provides more than enough ways for players to interact, chat, group up, and start factions easily seen by everyone in a way I'd debate may even rival the steam setup.

Either way, I hope you're right. Because I know at least a good 20-50 people on XBOX who plan to role the play the sjit out of it, and without raiders and bandits the game wouldn't be as intense and terrifying as it is.

Well said. Thanks for being one of the few who aren't already complaining about the game. While y'all moan about some stuff that won't really hurt the game at all... People like us will be getting our mosin, and our can of beans, and move along.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

Once upon a time around 2 years ago I met a guy on DAYZ, it was my first DAYZ friend who I added and played with every day. He said something to me that I'll never forget.

DAYZ is only as fun as YOU are.

Bugs or no bugs, it's still greatest MMO survival/social experiment in the history of ever. Anyone who disagrees I'll turn into Human steak :P

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

it will be a KOS fest at first and public servers will remain a KOS fest as it is on PC right now. But eventually, some real dayz fans will start to look at the game differently as i did on pc. after you got over the fear of loosing your gear, after you got all the killing out of the system but still love playing dayz, then there really is only one way to play and thats looking for interaction. After killing, after surviving, thats all thats left. Took me a good 300 hours on pc to get over the fear of loosing my gear. so i dont expect console players to be like myself right off the bat.

• Beans 1

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, HelixOne Gaming said:

Well said. Thanks for being one of the few who aren't already complaining about the game. While y'all moan about some stuff that won't really hurt the game at all... People like us will be getting our mosin, and our can of beans, and move along.

Hell yeah, can't wait to just chill on the couch, drink a beer and survive with friends! Love DayZ and I think the console version will be just as good! Plus it has no impact on PC, so who cares.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Considering battle royal, after battle royal has been released on Xbone, looking at Vigor, the damned radioactive storm, and lack of mic, console peeps are stuck with KoS lodged in their minds because those games force PvP. DayZ doesn't, but it's gonna take some time for console peeps to learn that. 

• Beans 1

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that modding support will be inferior.  That's the only problem that I see with consoles.

5 hours ago, Lanseril Storm said:

i just think its funny that pc players bash any game that comes to console, its like they get butt hurt.

Really? all pc players? any game?

Every Xbox user knows about the party chat system, and almost every Xbox user also knows that being in it mutes game chat. If they do this, they know they are doing this, which means it's their own free choice. If they did care to talk to a person, rather than kill and take their loot, they could do it in a couple of seconds with the click of two buttons. Also bear in mind that a LOT of Xbox players don't even have mics, or just don't like using them outside of party chat.

Edited by Bee787
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bee787 said:

Every Xbox user knows about the party chat system, and almost every Xbox user also knows that being in it mutes game chat. If they do this, they know they are doing this, which means it's their own free choice. If they did care to talk to a person, rather than kill and take their loot, they could do it in a couple of seconds with the click of two buttons. Also bear in mind that a LOT of Xbox players don't even have mics, or just don't like using them outside of party chat.

That is the point I am trying to make. The Xbox limitations are going to take away from the full experience of what DayZ is. Sure someone could switch to party chat, but the few seconds it takes to do that will likely get the person killed. Also the person you are trying to talk to won't know you are talking to them unless they are in game chat too. This is going to result in people not using game chat. On PC this isn't an issue because players can hear people talk in discord and in game chat at the same time and can respond accordingly via push to talk. So unfortunately there hero or bandit mentality is going to be lost. It is going to just be another battle royal game. No one will try to create unique interactions. Robbing players, taking them hostage, trying to save someone, or just being a weirdo. Most of the popular DayZ video revolve around that type of interaction which is what drew many people to dayz. That is simply going to be lost. The only thing that will salvage it on Xbox is if they allow community servers.

This "issue" isn't the developers fault. It is just the xbox's limitations that are going to hinder dayz.

I think this line of thinking is spawned via the narrow minded opinions of PC elitist. I absolutely get where you're coming from, but a lot of people on XBOX do know what DAYZ is.

They have been watching Frankie and Sada since the dawn, and most are up to date with the likes of M1NDR and Septic. The fact is most of the time, people don't just stumble across DAYZ and think oh Ill give it a go, instead a very large majority of players have seen the game online, and then gone out of their way to take part in what they know is an absolute bug fest. The same goes for Xbox, only with the addition we have been waiting for this game for a long time, and know exactly what to expect on release.

Perhaps a lil research into the community via reddit, and twitter to see how keen XBOX users are to see proximity chat in games like PUBG and Vigor would help, (even without a mic for example 2/5 people on Vigor attempt communication via crouch bobbing.)

But yeah. I do get the points being made in this thread, and understand the disadvantages Party Chat user face in-game. However to assume XBOX LIVE does not have a huge community of role players, or discords avaliable, is nothing short incorrect and kinda of offensive.

As someone that plays a lot of Standalone to this day, I know my chances of being KOS are already around 70%, I don't think much will change come a few months post release when the hype trains dies down and only the real fans remain.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Recinema said:

That is the point I am trying to make. The Xbox limitations are going to take away from the full experience of what DayZ is. Sure someone could switch to party chat, but the few seconds it takes to do that will likely get the person killed. Also the person you are trying to talk to won't know you are talking to them unless they are in game chat too. This is going to result in people not using game chat. On PC this isn't an issue because players can hear people talk in discord and in game chat at the same time and can respond accordingly via push to talk. So unfortunately there hero or bandit mentality is going to be lost. It is going to just be another battle royal game. No one will try to create unique interactions. Robbing players, taking them hostage, trying to save someone, or just being a weirdo. Most of the popular DayZ video revolve around that type of interaction which is what drew many people to dayz. That is simply going to be lost. The only thing that will salvage it on Xbox is if they allow community servers.

This "issue" isn't the developers fault. It is just the xbox's limitations that are going to hinder dayz.

You're being way too negative and over-dramatic. Just because there is party chat, doesn't mean people are going to stick with it. Games like Sea of Thieves and Ark Survival have more people in game chat, rather than party chat. I know I'm gonna stick with game chat, and I have plenty of other friends who are gonna do the same. 

5 hours ago, Console Peasant said:

You're being way too negative and over-dramatic. Just because there is party chat, doesn't mean people are going to stick with it. Games like Sea of Thieves and Ark Survival have more people in game chat, rather than party chat. I know I'm gonna stick with game chat, and I have plenty of other friends who are gonna do the same. 

Sea of Thieves and Ark are completely different. For one, if someone is talking in game chat there is a visual indicator that tells you that so you know they are trying to communicate with you. That way you can switch to game chat. DayZ is a much less forgiving game. Those games also show gamertags of players so it is easier to communicate. Most people aren't going to play in game chat if they are with friends. Most people you talk to will be gearless fresh spawns on the coast and once you make a friend most of them will suggest going to party chat to avoid giving away their position in case someone is in game chat. I'm not being over-dramatic, I'm just being a realist. The ultimate DayZ experience is going to have to on private/community servers that attract like minded people.

Just now, Recinema said:

Sea of Thieves and Ark are completely different. For one, if someone is talking in game chat there is a visual indicator that tells you that so you know they are trying to communicate with you. That way you can switch to game chat. DayZ is a much less forgiving game. Those games also show gamertags of players so it is easier to communicate. Most people aren't going to play in game chat if they are with friends. Most people you talk to will be gearless fresh spawns on the coast and once you make a friend most of them will suggest going to party chat to avoid giving away their position in case someone is in game chat. I'm not being over-dramatic, I'm just being a realist. The ultimate DayZ experience is going to have to on private/community servers that attract like minded people.

All we can do is wait and see. Either way, one of us is gonna be proved wrong. 

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:16 PM, Parazight said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that modding support will be inferior.  That's the only problem that I see with consoles.

Really? all pc players? any game?

basically yes

This could be countered by having the Voice Chat come through the usual game audio line, which would also allow a better 360 Sound Simulation for directional reasons.
Whilst in a Party you wouldn't be able to talk, but you'd hear them and likely switch to game to communicate.

Of course this will be redundant if the person you encounter has his own group.

DayZ still holds some interaction on PC even those TS/Discord exist because you can talk in both freely or through push to talk, consoles need to consider this type of option, for all future "social" games.

EDIT: CoD:WWII has Specific Servers for Hardcore Search & Destroy that a prevents players from joining if in a Party Chat maybe something to consider for some servers or on the game as a whole.

Edited by The Road Warrior (DayZ)

I would love it if party's were disabled whilst playing DayZ.. It really is that type of game where you don't need a party.. Don't wont to be heard by others then whisper or use hand gestures..

My plan for if I am in a party is this; If I see another player, and want to try to communicate, try using hand gestures first. If we can wave to one another without one or both of us ending up dead, then I will try using game chat to see if they have a mic and also want to communicate that way. It really does not take long to switch from party chat to game chat, and im sure I saw there was a way to toggle push to talk in game without going into any menu. It might have been down on the dpad?

Sometimes I can't communicate, sometimes I don't want to. Sometimes I am in a party chat and other times I am in game chat. I don't see there having to be an explicit reason people have to chat in game anyway, im sure you can get the gist of someone's intentions if you are paying attention to them and what they are doing.

Sure, it will make things easier, but communication is still possible between someone who is deaf and someone who isn't. Besides, you can't always trust what someone says anyway. If another player is raising their gun and lining me up in their sights, I don't think them singing "Kumbaya" is going to make me believe they are friendly haha!

Xbox won't be exactly the same as on PC, but it doesn't mean it will be lacking with player interactions in my opinion.

Literally there are 5000 people playing this on console right now. and people are saying that it has already turned into a battle royal game. ITS IN A BETA STAGE. We'll see how it really functions once release on the 29th.