Sign in to follow this  
J.R.

New...old player - how to revive the gaming experience after two years of absence?

Hi there

Haven't been playing the game since....about two years ago - and now I've seen a lot of talk about the development, 0.63 etc... and so I was wondering - any tips on how to revive the DayZ experience in the best way for me and my buddy?

Any specific details we need to know about best servers or the gaming experience in general?

Help us back please - I completely forgot everything :P

Thanks in advance - and a nice weekend to you all :)

Best tip might be to wait for .63 stable.

• Beans 3

Maybe play a bit of experimental to get the feel for how things work under the new systems, but don't expect too much.  A lot has changed, and it will take some getting used-to.  Sprinting inland from the coast will have you dead from hunger and thirst in 15 to 20 minutes.  Take your time and get prepared.  Don't expect to get a Kamy spawn, spam the well and a few apples, then sprint to Elektro for fast action PVP.  this is a survival game now, no longer as much of a rinse and repeat coastal chaos or dash to NWAF for guranteed PVP type of game.

Take your time, get healthy, be careful approaching landmarks, and try to survive as many player encounters as you can.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

Ok, cool.

Is it possible to play 0.63 somehow...I see a lot of Youtube-videos here and there with that...so what to do?

38 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Ok, cool.

Is it possible to play 0.63 somehow...I see a lot of Youtube-videos here and there with that...so what to do?

Go to your Steam library > right click on DayZ and then click on properties > Then go to the ''BETA'' tab > choose experimental from the drop down menu.

U dont need to do anything to revive the game...its being revived continually with each patch. Boot up the game, make a character, pick a server...play. Really not that hard

Hello. I just decided to start playing this game. What can you advise the newcomer and can someone want to play together. And maybe there are those who are studying at the moment. Perhaps someone needs help writing research papers, I have an excellent site https://essaybison.com for this, they helped me and now I can play with a quiet heart.

Edited by JosephBaxter

13 hours ago, JosephBaxter said:

Hello. I just decided to start playing this game. What can you advise the newcomer and can someone want to play together.

Hello Joseph, and welcome to the community.

The first thing that you should know is that DayZ is in the process of switching over to an newly built engine, and content is still in the process  of being added, evaluated, balanced, and bugfixed.
The Stable servers are currently still running on .62, which is a dead-end iteration of the old engine of the game, but has been the most polished and playable experience available for the last year or so.

.63 servers are currently running on both Experimental branch and the Stress Test branch, which require one to open properties in the steam library, select the betas tab, select either Exp or Stress Test from the dropdown menu, and Finally enter a passcode (ireallywanttotest) to gain access.

At this stage in the game, I would highly recommend only playing on the .63 branches, as there are many fundamental changes from how the older version works, in terms of UI and interacting with the world; and it makes no sense learning how to adapt to an obsolete system of controls and procedures.

Some basic survival tips:
When you first spawn, food and water will be at dangerously low levels, and sprinting will drain them even faster.  Wells are often found in or around most villages, and are the safest water to drink; but other players know this, and may be looking to kill you near them, so keep your eyes up.
Apples are often the most accessible food for a fresh player, and will be found on the ground underneath apple trees.  Apple trees are normally about 3-4 meters tall, and have a crotch in the trunk at about 1 meter high, with generally green canopies with some red throughout.
A knife is the most important tool to find, and it may take some time.  Axes, machetes, and hatchets are a good all-purpose tool and weapon.  Hold RMB to raise hands/weapon, and LMB to swing or fire, as the default settings; L shift or MMB will zoom if you are not sprinting at the time.
Attempting to walk backwards with your hands melee weapon raised will make you block melee attacks.  Zombies sometimes spawn items after you kill them, so don't forget to check.
Most clothing can be cut into rags with the tools mentioned above.  When possible, use the crudest cutting tool available to do this, as your knife will dull quickly and is better saved for opening cans or skinning game.
Rags can be equipped to hands, and used to bandage yourself if you are bleeding, and can also be combined via two stacks of 6 to form improvised rope.
Rope can be combined with burlap sacks to make a bag, or can be used to restrain other players, and can be combined with a long stick to make a fishing rod or bow when those items are added back into the game.
There are tourist trails marked by posts and painted rocks, along which you may find small stones, which can be held in hands as a  somewhat decent and fast-striking weapon, or smashed together to craft a stone knife.
Trees and bushes can be cut down to give firewood.  The bark can be cut from trees using a knife, of which the white makes for good tinder as well as the the brown, which can also be combined with small sticks to make a hand-drill fire starter.
Firearms and magazines must be reloaded manually, by assigning the bullets to a hotkey, and holding the hotkey down while the appropriate gun or magazine is in your hands.

Good luck out there.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Hello Joseph, and welcome to the community.

The first thing that you should know is that DayZ is in the process of switching over to an newly built engine, and content is still in the process  of being added, evaluated, balanced, and bugfixed.
The Stable servers are currently still running on .62, which is a dead-end iteration of the old engine of the game, but has been the most polished and playable experience available for the last year or so.

.63 servers are currently running on both Experimental branch and the Stress Test branch, which require one to open properties in the steam library, select the betas tab, select either Exp or Stress Test from the dropdown menu, and Finally enter a passcode (ireallywanttotest) to gain access.

At this stage in the game, I would highly recommend only playing on the .63 branches, as there are many fundamental changes from how the older version works, in terms of UI and interacting with the world; and it makes no sense learning how to adapt to an obsolete system of controls and procedures.

Some basic survival tips:
When you first spawn, food and water will be at dangerously low levels, and sprinting will drain them even faster.  Wells are often found in or around most villages, and are the safest water to drink; but other players know this, and may be looking to kill you near them, so keep your eyes up.
Apples are often the most accessible food for a fresh player, and will be found on the ground underneath apple trees.  Apple trees are normally about 3-4 meters tall, and have a crotch in the trunk at about 1 meter high, with generally green canopies with some red throughout.
A knife is the most important tool to find, and it may take some time.  Axes, machetes, and hatchets are a good all-purpose tool and weapon.  Hold RMB to raise hands/weapon, and LMB to swing or fire, as the default settings; L shift or MMB will zoom if you are not sprinting at the time.
Attempting to walk backwards with your hands melee weapon raised will make you block melee attacks.  Zombies sometimes spawn items after you kill them, so don't forget to check.
Most clothing can be cut into rags with the tools mentioned above.  When possible, use the crudest cutting tool available to do this, as your knife will dull quickly and is better saved for opening cans or skinning game.
Rags can be equipped to hands, and used to bandage yourself if you are bleeding, and can also be combined via two stacks of 6 to form improvised rope.
Rope can be combined with burlap sacks to make a bag, or can be used to restrain other players, and can be combined with a long stick to make a fishing rod or bow when those items are added back into the game.
There are tourist trails marked by posts and painted rocks, along which you may find small stones, which can be held in hands as a  somewhat decent and fast-striking weapon, or smashed together to craft a stone knife.
Trees and bushes can be cut down to give firewood.  The bark can be cut from trees using a knife, of which the white makes for good tinder as well as the the brown, which can also be combined with small sticks to make a hand-drill fire starter.
Firearms and magazines must be reloaded manually, by assigning the bullets to a hotkey, and holding the hotkey down while the appropriate gun or magazine is in your hands.

Good luck out there.

Wow thanks! I did not expect such a detailed answer. Thank you!