mugost

I know, but be patient.

DayZ is actually a great game.. you paid for it (once) .. you get free updates, stuff changes, different parameters, new toys (nothing extra to pay) for years, maybe decades .. It's a fine game and certain kinds of people get their kicks in this game .. it's not a MASS game - it is not designed to sell millions in 2 years, then get dumped and DayZ II will come out and sell millions, and then DayZ 3, etc..  no DLCs, no mass advertising, no built in obsolescence, it can be peaceful (go fishing) or dangerous, or  REALLY dangerous ... or shocking  or deadly..  .. It just trucks along and the people who like it play it a lot..There are some servers with a queue of FPSs panting to get in, there are some with lone hunters who like being in an empty land and wear deerskin,  there are severs you have to be careful, and cult severs and (some definitely unfair servers) and open-but-clan clan servers.. and strange servers, and people to meet, or eat, or eat with, and the people in those DayZ places definitely play a lot.. they spent TIME in there..  
So who CARES what number is written in the top corner of your screen when you log in - you only see it for 5 seconds... WHY are some people waiting for the day when DayZ STOPS changing, reaches an end, nothing new added, no more debate?  Why do people want to know this is version 10.000 ? After this point Nothing New, No, Stop, End. Finish.  In THIS game that is NOT the place you START playing.

Hey - maybe this game will still be developing and changing in 10 years? - Why is that bad?
The only answer to "why is that bad?" - is "because that's not like other games".

So, if DayZ is not on the Sony Ideal Curve of the Mega Buck Mass Development chart  ?  ... who gives a stinking mongoose baked flat in the desert noon sun on life's lonely highway if DayZ ain't following the same railroad as other games?

xxp

• Beans 9

^Whole heartedly agree. I'm in it for the long haul, this game grabbed me in the mod and never let go :) It's going from strength to strength now and this is awesome to see.

• Beans 1

21 hours ago, aut korea said:

Time is running, at some point playerbase wont return any more. So i think they should hurry up or just give the ppl. something to play with. 1-3 updates a year are far to less....

That point was passed something like a year ago.

This game has proven many more things then just a simple slow dev process. Many outside devs know all about dayz and how its progressing. They used it as a bases for "What not to do in Dev". The rest on steam are just cashing in on the ability to slow development process. What can be learned is the wasted money spent on time and rehashing the items already created. Those hours on pay can never be reclaimed. We are already past the selling point of Dayz and now has been turned into a niche game, low population etc.. It will never get back to where it once was.

Arma 3 is too the same way now, much of the population and Modders have moved onto other projects. Half of the people stopped purchasing before apex. It just was a great idea turned really bad for the modding community.

On 8/11/2018 at 1:04 AM, Mantasisg said:

That point was passed something like a year ago.

Got any hot stock tips in that crystal ball of yours?  Of the 125 million active steam accounts, I'd soundly bet that there are at least few million who might give it a try once they start marketing the game in earnest.

6 hours ago, sneakydude said:

. It will never get back to where it once was.

While that may be true, there is much potential for new players through console interest, even on PC.  Some may opt for the premium experience after realizing the limitations of console and seeing how much better PC plays by watching streams.
If players really refuse to play the finished game because they think the feeling has passed, or they are stubborn and vowed to never play again after being "duped" by BI, I say good riddance.

This ain't a cold pizza, or a snack that was processed in a plant that handles peanuts and tree nuts. It's not a set of new tires that were left sitting out in the sun for 5 years.
There will be nothing intrinsically worse about the finished product when it is complete, besides some people's expectations and hurt feelings.
Which for new players, this will not matter in the slightest; unless you count all the salty jerks giving people guff for playing "that game," you know, the "half-decade long bad joke" that "wasted my time."  Do we really need to care what those people think?  I sure as hell don't.

• Beans 6

On 8/13/2018 at 11:44 PM, emuthreat said:

Got any hot stock tips in that crystal ball of yours?  Of the 125 million active steam accounts, I'd soundly bet that there are at least few million who might give it a try once they start marketing the game in earnest.

While that may be true, there is much potential for new players through console interest, even on PC.  Some may opt for the premium experience after realizing the limitations of console and seeing how much better PC plays by watching streams.
If players really refuse to play the finished game because they think the feeling has passed, or they are stubborn and vowed to never play again after being "duped" by BI, I say good riddance.

This ain't a cold pizza, or a snack that was processed in a plant that handles peanuts and tree nuts. It's not a set of new tires that were left sitting out in the sun for 5 years.
There will be nothing intrinsically worse about the finished product when it is complete, besides some people's expectations and hurt feelings.
Which for new players, this will not matter in the slightest; unless you count all the salty jerks giving people guff for playing "that game," you know, the "half-decade long bad joke" that "wasted my time."  Do we really need to care what those people think?  I sure as hell don't.

Your hopes are still too high bud, even though we loved the game play...

Yes I have some tips for that, emu - it is called logic.

Think of it like engine stalling as the revs are dropping too low, you can turn it on again possibly, but you know....

The love is slowly fading away... Naturally it will take more and more to hook it again. Perhaps a bit more kids, who doesn't care about their lives, and are up to run for three hours straight in a computer game will emerge, but most of them will be actually looking for something entirely new. Will DayZ come out as entirely new title somehow ? Will it have the soul which the Rocket managed to create, and which is why this whole thing got important ? Doesn't seem so to me. 

It is unacceptable if the GAME is not designed to be fun at any moment, even if it is in alpha during early access, thats why so many people are negative. Devs have achieved so much great stuff, but they also have managed to get rid of so much other great stuff. And thats why many people are actually playing games - to have fun. I know from the past that DayZ can be plenty of fun. But if you don't want people playing your game, you don't have them. Will you get them back ? Maybe so, maybe no.

Edited by Mantasisg

2 hours ago, sneakydude said:

Your hopes are still too high bud, even though we loved the game play...

Got anything besides jaded pessimism to back that up? 
Do you have any real evidence suggesting that the completed product marketed to an entirely new audience will be rejected because of negativity has essentially become a meme?  And a meme that I might add, is way outside most people's sphere of awareness.

It would help a lot if anyone could provide support to their beliefs that DayZ has passed beyond any point of relevance for a mass market.
It's akin to calling a movie shit before it hits theaters because it went through 3 scripts, 5 directors, and 4 options on the book before it was made.  While some people may be intensely aware of them, it has little to do with the overall quality and reception of the finished product.

• Like 1
  • Beans 4

People refuse to understand that it will be new to those that just use consoles.  For whatever reason, some PC gamers believe that their impatience is transposed onto others that have never played the game.  Further, people that claim that DayZ is stale don't (can't, really) provide any data or facts as to why.  It's just a bunch of gut feelings or mindless parroting from people trying to get attention.

• Beans 3

On 8/16/2018 at 12:22 AM, Parazight said:

Further, people that claim that DayZ is stale don't (can't, really) provide any data or facts as to why.  It's just a bunch of gut feelings or mindless parroting from people trying to get attention.

As you mentioned, staleness is subjective and cannot be proven. However, that video "The Death of DayZ" gives a pretty good explanation of why most players feel the game is stale. The direction the game moved between Mod and SA may be able to explain the waining interest of many players.

5 hours ago, scriptfactory said:

As you mentioned, staleness is subjective and cannot be proven. However, that video "The Death of DayZ" gives a pretty good explanation of why most players feel the game is stale. The direction the game moved between Mod and SA may be able to explain the waining interest of many players.

What direction did the standalone actually move to? From what I recall the vanilla DayZ was just as much of a struggle some sessions just to find food and gear.  No different than the SA.  Oh I forgot, people think the dumbed down modded versions of DayZ were what the game was about

• Beans 4

On 8/15/2018 at 3:11 PM, emuthreat said:

Got anything besides jaded pessimism to back that up? 
Do you have any real evidence suggesting that the completed product marketed to an entirely new audience will be rejected because of negativity has essentially become a meme?  And a meme that I might add, is way outside most people's sphere of awareness.

It would help a lot if anyone could provide support to their beliefs that DayZ has passed beyond any point of relevance for a mass market.
It's akin to calling a movie shit before it hits theaters because it went through 3 scripts, 5 directors, and 4 options on the book before it was made.  While some people may be intensely aware of them, it has little to do with the overall quality and reception of the finished product.

We have already seen the trailers, throwing big words at it doesn't make an argument you know better then this. It was shit then and still is going to be shit. Down to 100 followers, too me that's shit. This one should have been done by now, made great. Not some gumball of garbled code.

ehm, an example?

Who remembers Peter Jackson, what a great criticism he had to capture when he announced the film adaptation of the legend of Tolkien (Lord of the Rings). until the final release of the movies, the votes of the fans were very pessimistic. The result, however, was a huge success, as many people now could see the story they previously dare knew (because they had never read the books).

Even the big critics had to admit that Peter Jackson had put the world of Tolkien very well into a movie scene.

*sits at bar*
You know, I remember when this place first opened.  There used to be a little motel, frequented by servicemen waiting for cheap flights back home for leave.  Well, one of those guys thought it pretty keen to buy up this closed down Chi-Chi's location and open up a watering hole for those guys.  The atmosphere was great, back in the day, lemme tell you.  Place got so much word of mouth that people started traveling from those guy's home towns just to see what the fuss was about.

Yeah, I guess this place is pretty cool, but I've only been coming here for a year or so. 

*glances at the 20-something hipster couple walking in*
Before long, the old feeling was gone, this place became a noisy, crowded, mess; new customers making outrageous demands for new drinks and menu items, putting stress on the staff, wearing out the pool tables.  The place got too popular for its own good, and the owner tried adding more seating onto the back of the place.  They did alright too.  Remodeled the place with more seating, put in a nearly 360 degree bar wrapped around the kitchen, a bigger dance floor, they even put in a mini-arcade and a couple shuffleboard tables along the walls.  The place did great, plenty of regulars, karaoke nights, the new menu items were actually great; hell, there was even a bunch of D&D kids who'd come in on weekday afternoons.

I heard about this place from a blog that was raving about the appetizer sampler platter.  I was so impressed that I kept coming back every week to try everything on the menu.  It's also a great place to meet fun new people.  Looks like they are still working on adding cool new things to do here too.

*sips whiskey, eyeing a group taking selfies with contempt*
But for all the good things they added to this place, it just wasn't the same anymore; not to mention the location had its problems to begin with.  The old Chi-Chi's was built on slabs that eventually started to settle.  They actually had to rip out the whole bar and half the kitchen halfway through the remodel, and pour a level footing so the glasses wouldn't tip over for no reason.  The parking lot was too small for the increased traffic, and all the people waiting around the bar, would get in the way of the servers bringing out the food.  Not to mention that the first step off the new slab under the bar could be a bit of a tripping hazard because of all the old flatwork that was heaving in places.

But the bar is on one side of the building, and the kitchen is on the other.  And I remember when this place was built a few years ago; they tore down the old grocery store building that sat empty for years.

*scoffs*
I'm talking about the old place, out on Riverside.  It's still open too, but hardly anybody goes there anymore.  I think they are gonna close it down eventually; place had so many problems, they'll never do the kind of business this place can anyways.  Was a bunch of copycat joints that sprung up after the remodel, too, while they were getting this place up and running  Those guys pulled off some of the bandwagon crowd too.  I bet some of those folks will never come back.  Just ain't the same as it used to be; they lost a lot of folks closing down for a few weeks here and there to fix things.  I don't reckon it'll ever be the same.  In fact, i don't even understand why people keep coming here, the feeling has passed, they don't do anywhere near the numbers they used to, and honestly, it's not even that much fun anymore.  You hear about that new place that's opening up a couple blocks down from here?

I dunno mister, it sounds like that old place was kinda crummy, really.  I like this place better than most places I've been, and it looks like it's still getting better.  I haven't seen those guys before...
(a few guys in their 40s walk in with a couple early 20s kids in tow)  Dude, this place looks way better than I remember.  Come on, let's get some appetizers and drinks.  Seriously, you don't even know how much fun we used to have at this place.
And besides, if you don't even really like it here, what are you doing sitting here telling me how much you don't like it here anyways?  Can't you, like, go someplace else that makes you happy?

*old grump sits at bar for another five years; slowly becoming ever more annoyed by the fancy new drinks, niche menu items, noisy drinking games, and annoying new customers who keep taking his seat at the bar*

Hey man, good to see you're still around.  have you tried the new deep fried pineapple rings?

*HRrrrumph*
... used to be....  missed the mark...  magic gone...
*trails off*

• Beans 1

19 hours ago, emuthreat said:

*sits at bar*

So I gave this a good read. I can't say I really agree with the premise because it implies that people were happy with what DayZ SA was, and that it was good at any point. It was bad then and it's bad now. People loved the idea they were sold, not the game. An homage like this is just painfully out of place for DayZ SA. The game is still in development and you are writing an anecdote about an old man playing the game as a youth when development started. Do you not see the absurdity in that? You've written a parody.

A more realistic anecdote would be about a man fronting the money to a contractor to build a house and then waiting outside in the rain for 30 years for the contractor to finish it,  but the contractor really only started building yesterday. But it's okay because the contractor used some of the money he was paid to hire a legal team to write a bulletproof disclaimer after that fact, exempting him from the horrible thing he did. He also ensured to censor and ban most people who voiced legitimate criticism, creating an echo chamber of self-justification, all the while deflecting and making the argument about the way in which complaints are voiced instead of the crime the voices speak to.

(Here begins a continuation of my response to you, but also my response to the thread in general)

The truth is that the devs screwed up hard in the first few years of development and they have never owned up to it in any meaningful way. There were many people who cared deeply for the game, and the admiration and passion they originally had for the idea that was DayZ turned to anger and even hatred. There are thousands of DayZ fans out there who feel betrayed, not because they feel jipped out of money but because they feel like something they cared deeply for was ripped away from them and then stepped all over and abused. You can't just wash that away with made up stories, and you certainly can't spin it around on them like they are the ones who are wrong. [EDITED] Originally the disclaimer did not exist. It was written after a massive negative reaction from the public. They were forced into writing it, and they were also forced into refunding. It's possible that they did not have nefarious intentions, that they really didn't mean for it to be a scam, but for all intents and purposes it was, and little by little they have created this bs narrative about how everything has always been deliberate and responsible, which you all love to preach, but it's a complete farce, and one that is only effective on a minuscule minority.

I don't expect anything to change now, but when DayZ releases in 1.0 and is what it finally should be, if that day ever should come, I think we are all owed a public apology for the horrible and flagrantly irresponsible first two years of development. The community is not in a healthy state right now. It's been poisoned by the events of the past. We need to start things fresh when the time comes. And before you think something to the effect of "that's so entitled," remember that DayZ was a community made game that was free. The IP was taken from the community, and we gave it up willingly, excitedly even. In retrospect, we could have done a much better job in half the time. One look at Arma 3 modding makes that abundantly clear. DayZ SA came out around the same time as Arma 3 and there are already survival mods with too many helicopters to count, and servers well over 100 players. Meanwhile, in DayZ SA we might literally never get those things. Think about that for a minute. The developers have actually entertained the idea of not having helicopters by 1.0.

The only reason DayZ SA exists as a separate entity from Arma 3 is because they could not get away with making their own DayZ mod for Arma 3 and charging money for it. They already had most of the systems in place to produce a DayZ mod experience that was superior to the past, and they instead chose to throw DayZ on some garbage helicopter simulator engine and wing it. They didn't care that the engine couldn't support their plans for the future, and I refuse to believe they were so incompetent they didn't know. They dove into it flagrantly because it was the fastest way to profit on the craze that was DayZ. I am tempted to say that I can't blame them, because the market was primed for a game their software essentially brought to life, and someone else would definitely beat them to the punch if they didn't act fast. So they released DayZ SA as fast as they could only to hold their place in the market. That is the truth of why DayZ SA exists. That is the truth of why it is bad, and that is why we are stuck with it the way it is. This is why fans are mad, and they have every right to be. DayZ fans without question have every right to be upset with how development has gone. Expletives and other disrespectful behaviors do not invalidate a valid point. If you have that many people screaming at you, at some point you need to stop and take a look at yourself.

Edited by OrLoK
falsehoods/insult

19 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

What direction did the standalone actually move to? From what I recall the vanilla DayZ was just as much of a struggle some sessions just to find food and gear.  No different than the SA.  Oh I forgot, people think the dumbed down modded versions of DayZ were what the game was about

Google the video, "The day DayZ died". It basically postulates the game was shit but multiple playstyles were taken care of so the game was successful. Most of the criticism can be taken care of through mods.

3 hours ago, Solopopo said:

I can't say I really agree with the premise because it implies that people were happy with what DayZ SA was, and that it was good at any point.

People are looking at SA with rose tinted glasses. It was always broken and empty. Higher player counts hid that fact.

16 hours ago, Solopopo said:

You've written a parody.

Yup.

Edit:  I suppose satire is a better term.  But still...

Edited by emuthreat
  • Beans 1

4 hours ago, scriptfactory said:

Google the video, "The day DayZ died". It basically postulates the game was shit but multiple playstyles were taken care of so the game was successful. Most of the criticism can be taken care of through mods.

I've seen the video and it was laughable.   Basing his conclusions on an unfinished product is a joke.  And my last point was spot on.  Most people can't remember or don't even know what the vanilla mod was and base all their Hope's and dreams on garbage version like epoch, overpoch, chickenpoch or what poch version there is. 

• Beans 3

It sounds like DayZ is not for all DayZ. Some see DayZ as the original, others the Mods of DayZ, when compared to another brand that can make the confusion, I see these pictures when the word "Lamborghini" is written.

DayZ "Vanilla" as Vehicle:

lamborghini-r-6-165-7,344c16bb.jpg

Or DayZ mod of mod:

2017-Lamborghini-Aventador-S-Track-Event

A word that has a different meaning for everyone.

The tractor stands for slow, robust, heavy, time-resistant.

The sports car for fast, fragile, light, fast paced.

Which is your DayZ?

11 hours ago, Solopopo said:

..//..

It was bad then and it's bad now.
..//..
If you have that many people screaming at you, at some point you need to stop and take a look at yourself.

So you spotted that ET didn't mention the pole dancers ?

- personal question, but in your own work do you get a lot of people screaming at you?  ... 
Please don't answer if this one question is "the straw that broke the camels back," as we The Righteous Mujaheddin say in Chernarus. I'd hate to see any camels going postal.

Back in the old days DAYZ was FUN and people played because it was FUN
Now people play it because they DONT LIKE IT

???

???

[ add as many question marks as you can eat ]

???

???

I think Inetenet2 and the Social Media have lost me on this one..

SEEMS to me (a person of no importance)  that I notice  most of th 'old timers' are over on Xperimental looking for bugs .. I blindly hazard a guess they must think that's FUN ? .. Or is it just sheer hell and suffering every time they log in? -  How would I know ? Maybe they only do it to expiate the hideous atrocious sins they have committed in past lives?  

*note.. must ask Yoda

• Beans 1

Note: @everyone if one insults the devs or makes up lies such as "dayz was a scam" you will be moderated.

First and last warning for the thread.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 3

^^^  Was waiting for this.

It's one thing to acknowledge that mistakes were made, and that some parts of the process were possibly not as well thought-out as they could have been.  But it's never crossed my mind that they were acting in bad faith at any point.
Perhaps it's true that BI knew that striking while the iron was hot would be the best chance to ride the wave of interest (which was no doubt also felt by many of those involved in the project), and proceeded ahead without the proper toolset.
But to assume that they knew they would hit a dead end with the modified TOH version of SA is an inductive leap that leaves me aghast.

At the end of the day, all the complaints amount to crying over spilled milk.   And some of it is starting to look like knocking over each new glass of milk that was brought out to replace it.

Anywho, I'm gonna hop on .63 and continue to enjoy the new content that's being added to the stress test branch.  I might even try to get a few LOL kills with the new moon boots bug.  Hope some of you guys can find your way to enjoying it too.

• Beans 1