Baty Alquawen

Internal testing of the new content update 23/07/2018

Hello guys,

we had an internal testing yesterday, how it looks?

Dear Survivors,

sadly we haven't been able to confirm the fix for client freezes today, so we intend to continue the stabilisation optimisations. We have planned another playtest for today with a new batch of fixes to overcome the last and core issue remaining.

- Eugen Harton

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Beans 17

5 hours ago, TrojanWarriorFTQ said:

Ho hum. I wish I knew what stabilisation optimisations were in relation to the actual game. 

And the once you know, then what?  You still have to wait for them to fix it.

I've been checking the Dayz twitter and forums everyday for the past couple weeks to find out when the new update is coming out. Every few days there is an excuse about making it more stable before releasing and I just don`t get it. The update is going to be released in the stress test branch first right? A part of the game dedicated to test unstable features right!? Why make it SO stable!!?? I'd be OK with more bugs than usual in the stress test branch and I think most people would be too, that's what it's for! Worst case scenario we could just switch back to experimental or stable. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about game development other than things may not go according to plan, there may be delays and other other problems. But with Dayz it's been far too much for far too long. Makes us loose faith in the game and the developers.

• Beans 1

52 minutes ago, faith_losing_dayz_fan said:

I've been checking the Dayz twitter and forums everyday for the past couple weeks to find out when the new update is coming out. Every few days there is an excuse about making it more stable before releasing and I just don`t get it. The update is going to be released in the stress test branch first right? A part of the game dedicated to test unstable features right!? Why make it SO stable!!?? I'd be OK with more bugs than usual in the stress test branch and I think most people would be too, that's what it's for! Worst case scenario we could just switch back to experimental or stable. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about game development other than things may not go according to plan, there may be delays and other other problems. But with Dayz it's been far too much for far too long. Makes us loose faith in the game and the developers.

Take this as a great opportunity to see how long and difficult game development can be. This is just the reality of game development, the stuff you're normally oblivious to and might not know unless you had the privilege of early access. Red Dead 2 was stuck in development hell for years, it's been in development for 8 years. The difference is we didn't have access to broken builds, we didn't see the specifics of game developers posting blogs regarding the status of it, etc.  This is all very normal, especially when implementing large engine modules and making them playable. It seems most games that come out these days are made on complete engines, that's not so with DayZ. It adds many layers of challenge and time onto development but it will be worth it when we have the DayZ we've all been waiting for.

Edited by WOLFGEIST
  • Like 1
  • Beans 4

I have complete trust that the dev team is doing what they can as fast as they can. Even though I think its taking a very long time. But I love the game and its consept. 

Its easy trashing the devs, but I belive they will deliver a good game buts God knows I think it is taking a looooooong time.  

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, faith_losing_dayz_fan said:

I've been checking the Dayz twitter and forums everyday for the past couple weeks to find out when the new update is coming out. Every few days there is an excuse about making it more stable before releasing and I just don`t get it. The update is going to be released in the stress test branch first right? A part of the game dedicated to test unstable features right!? Why make it SO stable!!?? I'd be OK with more bugs than usual in the stress test branch and I think most people would be too, that's what it's for! Worst case scenario we could just switch back to experimental or stable. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about game development other than things may not go according to plan, there may be delays and other other problems. But with Dayz it's been far too much for far too long. Makes ME loose faith in the game and the developers.

I fixed the part in your post where you only speak for yourself. If you actually think about it, they could've done what other studios have done and released the game in a broken and buggy/unplayable state and then released patches in an attempt to fix any problems that had arisen as many other studios have done but instead they're fixing them as they come along and letting their community know that they're having problems and are working on them. I still have faith in them as they've earned it by not doing as I previously mentioned.

• Beans 1

if only the devs had a concrete plan of making a new engine solely for dayz standalone before it came out; imagine how much further it would be along if it weren’t for the headstrong mistake of developing the standalone for almost a year before deciding it needed iTs own engine ....

i love the game but I would have loved to have seen it’s final potential sooner than whenever that will be in this actual timeline ... 

let’s hope and pray they don’t find MORE blockers to prevent the true beta from presenting itself .

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, WOLFGEIST said:

Take this as a great opportunity to see how long and difficult game development can be. This is just the reality of game development, the stuff you're normally oblivious to and might not know unless you had the privilege of early access. Red Dead 2 was stuck in development hell for years, it's been in development for 8 years. The difference is we didn't have access to broken builds, we didn't see the specifics of game developers posting blogs regarding the status of it, etc.  This is all very normal, especially when implementing large engine modules and making them playable. It seems most games that come out these days are made on complete engines, that's not so with DayZ. It adds many layers of challenge and time onto development but it will be worth it when we have the DayZ we've all been waiting for.

I want them to release something terribly broken so we can keep bitching about it being broken!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Beans 1

41 minutes ago, blackberrygoo said:

if only the devs had a concrete plan of making a new engine solely for dayz standalone before it came out; imagine how much further it would be along if it weren’t for the headstrong mistake of developing the standalone for almost a year before deciding it needed iTs own engine ....

i love the game but I would have loved to have seen it’s final potential sooner than whenever that will be in this actual timeline ... 

let’s hope and pray they don’t find MORE blockers to prevent the true beta from presenting itself .

Have you ever thought that they had planned on using the previous engine to build DayZ on but after realizing that they wouldn't be able to do everything that they had planned for the game, they realized that it would require a new engine to fully realize their goal?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, LordBlackwolf said:

Have you ever thought that they had planned on using the previous engine to build DayZ on but after realizing that they wouldn't be able to do everything that they had planned for the game, they realized that it would require a new engine to fully realize their goal?

Hence the word “mistake” my friend, they made a mistake, and are “paying” for it . 

We all knew the RV engine wasn’t good enough to run a standalone game . I remember saying that the day of downloading the leaked version of dayz standalone before it came to steam days later . At that time I was wondering if they would indeed change engines down the road because real virtuality just wasn’t cutting it even for arma 2 dayz mods with specific tastes (more realistic vehicle counts , more guns etc) at that time .

If any of you remember we were all enthralled with those countless dayz mods most of which hardly ever ran at 25 FPS in firefights . Even the vanilla dayz mod struggled , and we all know how shallow in scope that game was in hindsight comparison to what dayz standalone intends to become .

The devs knew they were taking a risk from the beginning, they took it anyways believing in the “might” of the rv engine , but they also knew all along that that risk would come with an inherent consequence if they were wrong ...

we all now see that that consequence is now in full swing and we are lagging behind in terms of patch to patch speed because of that and it’s ok because it was just a simple mistake made in the beginning - but still frustrating nonetheless .

Edited by blackberrygoo
  • Beans 1

5 hours ago, faith_losing_dayz_fan said:

I can give you a good answer to that. We can't stress test for performance issues if the game or server crashes every minute or what ever makes the game unplayable. It's not only to provide us a somewhat stable experience but also to be able to collect as much as valueble and consistent data as possible. Don't get me wrong, I'm also patiently waiting for the content patch to drop but until that time I will keep myself busy with other games and other things.

Edited by IMT
  • Beans 2

16 hours ago, IMT said:

I can give you a good answer to that. We can't stress test for performance issues if the game or server crashes every minute or what ever makes the game unplayable. It's not only to provide us a somewhat stable experience but also to be able to collect as much as valueble and consistent data as possible. Don't get me wrong, I'm also patiently waiting for the content patch to drop but until that time I will keep myself busy with other games and other things.

We’ve had plenty of experimental and stress test branches in which all we were testing was crashes and database lock ups ... and the builds went quicker when the public helped , even if it was frustrating and seemed futile with all the crashes .

Edited by blackberrygoo

yes but people arguing that they should release now without knowledge of what they are fixing is ignorant.  for all we know the issues they are having could stop you from joining a server alltogether.  hell they could stop the game from loading in the first place.  or they could be issues that could damage your pc if released as is.  everyone just needs to chill the funk out and wait.  they will release it when THEY are ready to release it.  have some patience.

Edited by FunkInYourTrunk
fat fingers = bad typing
  • Like 1

Now they're talking weeks on twitter. Might be a case of bad writing, but meh. I'm going to keep myself busy with No Man's Sky. Will be back once the patch goes to stress testing, whenever that may be. 

5 minutes ago, Beavis3D said:

Now they're talking weeks on twitter. Might be a case of bad writing, but meh. I'm going to keep myself busy with No Man's Sky. Will be back once the patch goes to stress testing, whenever that may be. 

weeks!!!!!?....where they said that?

44 minutes ago, kopo79 said:

weeks!!!!!?....where they said that?

• Beans 2

Considering there was just one nasty bug left last Friday I expected to see a stress test today or at least tomorrow. They might talk about the experimental update instead of the stress test version.. But oh well, we will see what happens

• Beans 1

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎24 at 6:10 PM, blackberrygoo said:

and it’s ok because it was just a simple mistake made in the beginning

The heart of the matter boils down to this, basically.

It's amazing how easy it is to forget how the SA initially came about...and how utterly unplayable the MOD had become. (the zombie behavior and the meta gaming was the final straw) I also thought that somehow the new game would be able to get beyond the de-sync,  bad ai pathfinding, nonsensical inventory, and crappy graphics...all the while, using the same engine as the Mod...majically, I guessed... So when the rewrite was decided upon I had to make the conscious decision to back the hell off and accept the fact that a "new and improved Mod" was never going to happen, and that whatever the game becomes and whenever it goes RTM I will either enjoy it or I won't.

Every time I catch myself using the ARMA2 DayZMod experience as a comparison I simply remember why I played it and why I play the SA. The reasons are as different as the two games themselves...and regardless of how much I wanted a new shiny version of the same old thing...it just aint gonna happen...and it's not a bad thing.

The devs (or whomever) did the right thing...and yes, they screwed it up, big time, but nonetheless they kept at it...with every opportunity to call it a day...point to the EA disclaimer and move on to something else.

On a note about the title of the thread, though...

I really wish the devs would hold off calling these releases "content updates".

"Content" for me means vehicles, animals, structures, and character-driven activities...

Maybe use "foundation updates" or something less tantalizing! ;-)

Devs...whats the status?should we wait something happen today about content update that we could feel temperatures,go fishing and camping?

Or should we go with our familys and friends to fish,feel the hot summer breath and do some tent camping?