thebaddestass

.63 Combat System

As I have said many times, I absolutely love(d?) this game.  There is no other game like it nor can come even close to it, but I don't agree with the combat changes in 63, just as most of the community doesn't as well.

There have been quite a few posts on Reddit in the last few days surrounding the new combat mechanic changes in .63.  I have been keeping an eye on them and just as I have seen since 63 was released, it seems that 95%+ of the community hates the new changes and would like to go back to the old system.  I am included in that.  The new combat change complete blows.  It is just terrible.  As many others have expressed, there was nothing wrong with the old system and it didn't need a complete overhaul which then just introduced a ton of other bugs and problems further delaying the game development.

Below are links to Reddit posts talking about this just in the last few days:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/8yl7i5/63_it_appears_that_when_being_hit_by_zombies/

https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/8ysqwh/is_there_any_change_in_way_a_peter_thinks_about/

https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/8yxbq5/dayz_063_experimental_ads_v_hip_fire/

https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/8yvczc/do_you_notice_the_difference_between_gunfights_in/

https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/8zpfjd/i_dont_get_it_how_the_devs_didnt_mention_anywhere/

So it appears that a very large majority of the community doesn't like the changes.  Definitely a much larger part appears to not like it vs like it.  And it has been a couple of months since this change was introduced and even then, a lot of backlash was received because of it.  The large majority of players agree that a change wasn't needed.

I'm not here to bash the game or the devs, but this needs to be addressed.  Most of the community also disagree with the explanation that Peter gave on Reddit for this change not long after 63 first hit stress test.  It's like the devs don't care what the community thinks about the change or how the community wants the game to play in regards to the combat mechanics change in 63.

So my question to the Devs is this.  Why are you going forward with a SUPER, MAJOR game play change that was never publicly announced before releasing (purposely because you knew the backlash it would have, even though you pre-announced every other minor game play change) when the vast majority of the entire community (that has supported you for many, many years and made this game and the new engine possible) doesn't like the change and also agrees that the change was never needed and want to go back to the old combat system in .62?

• Like 2

I'm sorry but when your source come from a toxic dump like reddit, you've lost all credibility.  As for your last statement, it was announced a very long time ago about a whole new engine and new player controller including combat system.

Edited by Guy Smiley

Another note, people tend to talk about things they dislike more vocally than the things they do like, so while there are probably more posts out there complaining about the new combat, there's countless amounts of people out there who do enjoy it / don't care either way that haven't said a peep. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Conrad_The_Comrade said:

Another note, people tend to talk about things they dislike more vocally than the things they do like, so while there are probably more posts out there complaining about the new combat, there's countless amounts of people out there who do enjoy it / don't care either way that haven't said a peep. 

An unsatisfied customer will tell ten people about their experience, while a satisfied customer may tell between zero and three people.  Or so goes the saying.

• Like 1
  • Beans 4

And please do not forget: DayZ is not ready yet, because every soup tastes bland if you first have hot water in the pan.

• Beans 1

5 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

And please do not forget: DayZ is not ready yet

Who on earth can forget? it's only been years.

• Haha 2
  • Beans 1

in another game forum people like to say 'everybody' hates a certain mechanic, yet all the polls anybody has ever posted show 2/3 of the players are fine with it.  just saying.

I myself really don't like what I've seen of the new changes.  I agree with things taking a proper amount of time to accomplish, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with being able to drag and drop items together.  having to put things in your hand first and then hold a mouse button down until it finishes is just unnecessary tedium and turns me off in a big way.

I'll give it a try though.  and I've purposely stopped playing .62 months ago to hopefully make the difference less jarring.  I tried a stress test and I couldn't set keybinds (bye).  maybe that's fixed now.  but I'll just wait til it goes live.

I think it needs a lot of work, sure, but I think it's an improvement. Most of the issues you've linked to are blatantly bugs or oversights.

However, reducing the viability of hip shooting by, say, removing the aiming reticule would be nice.

• Beans 1

On 7/20/2018 at 9:49 PM, Guy Smiley said:

As for your last statement, it was announced a very long time ago about a whole new engine and new player controller including combat system.

Come on man, stay with the times, they never announced removing the semi circle and sway and especially the dispersion until it was announced in status report after stress test.  I am not talking about the 63 engine change as a whole.  You should slowly re-read my post.  Also, if you don't want to use reddit then, there are plenty of posts here about it.  Would you like me to link a couple?

Edited by thebaddestass

You've pretty much disqualified your argument by saying "most of the community" and 95% percent of players. Have you contacted every owner of the game? Do you realize most gamers don't hang out on reddit or forums in general?

9 hours ago, thebaddestass said:

Come on man, stay with the times, they never announced removing the semi circle and sway and especially the dispersion until it was announced in status report after stress test.  I am not talking about the 63 engine change as a whole.  You should slowly re-read my post.  Also, if you don't want to use reddit then, there are plenty of posts here about it.  Would you like me to link a couple?

Oh I know all about Gews whining post on the subject of dispersion.  Also, you're the one not with the times when you clearly stated they never announced the new changes which they clearly did when they announced a "New Player Controller".  Get with the times man

I really like the new combat system .... so much better than the old one and you can finally turtle kick like a little bitch on your back  ? 

9 hours ago, creature said:

You've pretty much disqualified your argument by saying "most of the community" and 95% percent of players. Have you contacted every owner of the game? Do you realize most gamers don't hang out on reddit or forums in general?

also this is only an English language forum - that takes out 2/3 of the world

On 7/21/2018 at 12:47 AM, thebaddestass said:

(...)

You wrote pretty long post, yet you avoided mentioning at least one specific thing you don't like on the new combat system.

• Haha 2
  • Beans 2

On 22.7.2018 at 4:43 AM, BeefBacon said:

However, reducing the viability of hip shooting by, say, removing the aiming reticule would be nice.

Every night I go to sleep I tell to my self that it's just a placeholder and it will be gone. I don't want to be playing on a modded server in future just because of this.

• Beans 4

I like them if that helps you decide

The older, harder gun combat was great and I wasn't even that good in it. I'm also on that side where the uniqueness of Dayz was maybe stripped with this change. I didn't understand it. Also, crosshairs can remain or get taken out, I don't care.

I'd like it better if they concentrated more on good hand-to-hand and melee combat instead. It would give another dimension to Dayz and more opportunities against armed players and even infected. Some more control freedom of movement, choosing the direction - side or top swing, stabs etc. At least some difference between using an axe and a knife. Still, everything is so rough currently and subject to change. But I'm afraid that's all really hard to do properly and also too late for development.

But in the end, maybe the simplicity is the key to more fun.

direction of barrel is more significant then perspective of player 

.... stands to reason

Lets run through the argument again ... it's the only way to be sure

xxP

I'm going to be honest, I don't think I can judge how good the system is until I am put under pressure. Just now, the most I've managed is the occasional exchange from distance and getting caught in a mini horde (btw, the fucking machete is lit af for zombie kills in 63!). My binding, I think, is vanilla with right mouse raising and left shift being my ADS. While it took me a little time to get used to, I can see it having merits.

I've also yet to really give the "on your back" firing positions a proper go. I can only imagine that will be more in a moment of panic than by design.

Tell you what would improve my combat, and that's having far more visible differences in bullets. Single cell black spheres with the numbers is great for telling you how many of them you have, but in no way helps work out what fucking ammo it actually is. If I'm in the heat of battle and need to reload a clip, I find it an absolute nightmare with the UI as it is.

11 hours ago, rickyriot said:

Tell you what would improve my combat, and that's having far more visible differences in bullets. Single cell black spheres with the numbers is great for telling you how many of them you have, but in no way helps work out what fucking ammo it actually is. If I'm in the heat of battle and need to reload a clip, I find it an absolute nightmare with the UI as it is.

It took me a while to realize this, but I believe that the new mechanics are in a way, trying to force us to be more practical with our hotkey assignments. 

I used to have a very regular hotkey layout: 1-melee, 2-pistol, 3-rifle, 4-longhorn, 5-longhorn ammo,  6 and 7 for random incidentals, 8-rags, 9-morphine, 0-stone knife.

I no longer enjoy such regularity, and have gotten in the habit of carrying fewer weapons; though my first three assignments remain the same.  The rest of them I now use for the most relevant ammo and magazine types. And I've found it's best to assign crafting items or even food to available hotkeys to aid in the mundane activities.  I still need to try to find a less awkward way to open a can of food and eat it.  Next time i hop on this new update, I want to test hotkeyed cans of food to hands, and hotkeyed can opener, and see if I can eat without opening my inventory.

15 hours ago, rickyriot said:

I think Escape form Tarkov did an excellent job when it comes to inventory management, especially reloading your guns. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that in DayZ, having clips on your vests/pockets to reload your gun with one button.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, benedictus said:

I think Escape form Tarkov did an excellent job when it comes to inventory management, especially reloading your guns. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that in DayZ, having clips on your vests/pockets to reload your gun with one button.

Ive had this thought as well and came up with a really quick mockup using existing feature. And yes it is a radial menu please don't hurt me.

You could hold R which would bring up a radial menu showing all the mags that are in your "pockets" (vests, pants, jacket) and choose which mag to use.

8CxrrgD.png

Just throwing ideas out there. Not to mention moving mosin bullet loading to the same actions as loading magazine with bullets. Choose bullet -> hold LMB while holding gun.

Edited by DannyDog
  • Beans 1

I'll be honest, just having the differing ammo clearly identifiable in your UI would be a great step forward. I don't mind being "forced" into new reloading mechanics or limited hotbar usage so long as I can tell the difference.

8 hours ago, DannyDog said:

Not to mention moving mosin bullet loading to the same actions as loading magazine with bullets. Choose bullet -> hold LMB while holding gun.

Do you want an accidental discharge?  Because that's how you get an accidental discharge.

2 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Do you want an accidental discharge?  Because that's how you get an accidental discharge.

Yea im not a fan of occupying one of my movement key fingers to hold a separate key for 3-5 seconds. Though i can let it grow on me, i feel that its a bad design as it takes away ease of free moving. 

Edited by DannyDog