Sign in to follow this  
robbyj

why are server prices higher than other games

why is the price to host a dayz server so high? the premiere experience to own and operate a private hive sixty player server for a year goes for about $1,676.00 (€1440.00). i can't think of any way to justify this price.

@pilgrim* K. How big is a Dayz server instance again?

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, emuthreat said:

@pilgrim* K. How big is a Dayz server instance again?

Clarify what you mean by "server instance"

One of the main issues when it comes to DayZ server hosting is that we are running Windows executables, which makes it more expensive for the hosts to maintain their machines. So right now we are working on Linux executables, which should make the hosting cheaper in the future.

In addition, hosting of DayZ servers is quite resource extensive. So even with these high prices, we practically don't make any profit of the hosting process.

Edited by ImpulZ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, robbyj said:

Clarify what you mean by "server instance"

OK dude - a physical server is a piece of equipment - its a computer. It has live memory and it has storage. NOW - each of those single hardware computers will run a CERTAIN NUMBER of game "instances" on the one real-world server.  A game "instance" is one complete example of the game, players have access to it, the person who pays for it has special access to it. 

So DayZ players tend to say "my server" or "I hire a server" or "I play on a server" - when they mean a LIMITED SPACE and SHARED TIME on a physical server (REAL server) - in fact they hire or play on an INSTANCE of DayZ which may be one of perhaps 7 instances all playing at the same time on the same server.

That hardware server has fixed live memory, fixed processing power, and backup storage of a certain speed (slower than the live memory).

Depending on the Server rules.. the allocation of processing power and live memory between the DayZ INSTANCES can be done in several ways. EG - If there are 7 instances on the server, but only ONE of them is playing, why not let that ONE use all the available processing power and live memory, and reduce it's allocation if another instance starts playing heavily, and needs it's share of processing power and live memory. Or how do you share the processing and live memory if all 7 instances are running with 20 players, some games doing a lot more than others..??

OK so DayZ fans talk about "my dayz server" when they mean a virtual server (a DayZ instance), running on a real hardware server that has several of these common parlance "servers" loaded up and hired out, all on ONE machine. 

shiny ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 2

3 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

OK dude - a physical server is a piece of equipment - its a computer. It has live memory and it has storage. NOW - each of those single hardware computers will run a CERTAIN NUMBER of game "instances" on the one real-world server.  A game "instance" is one complete example of the game, players have access to it, the person who pays for it has special access to it. 

So DayZ players tend to say "my server" or "I hire a server" or "I play on a server" - when they mean a LIMITED SPACE and SHARED TIME on a physical server (REAL server) - in fact they hire or play on an INSTANCE of DayZ which may be one of perhaps 7 instances all playing at the same time on the same server.

That hardware server has fixed live memory, fixed processing power, and backup storage of a certain speed (slower than the live memory).

Depending on the Server rules.. the allocation of processing power and live memory between the DayZ INSTANCES can be done in several ways. EG - If there are 7 instances on the server, but only ONE of them is playing, why not let that ONE use all the available processing power and live memory, and reduce it's allocation if another instance starts playing heavily, and needs it's share of processing power and live memory. Or how do you share the processing and live memory if all 7 instances are running with 20 players, some games doing a lot more than others..??

OK so DayZ fans talk about "my dayz server" when they mean a virtual server (a DayZ instance), running on a real hardware server that has several of these common parlance "servers" loaded up and hired out, all on ONE machine. 

shiny ?

That's all fine and dandy. Sharing one machine with measly ftp access should cost the customer less. For that price I could rent a dedicated machine.

6 hours ago, ImpulZ said:

One of the main issues when it comes to DayZ server hosting is that we are running Windows executables, which makes it more expensive for the hosts to maintain their machines. So right now we are working on Linux executables, which should make the hosting cheaper in the future.

In addition, hosting of DayZ servers is quite resource extensive. So even with these high prices, we practically don't make any profit of the hosting process.

would it cut the price in half? an arma 3 sixty player vps costs way less than that per year. ($550.00) the price of running the server on linux changes the price by about fifteen dollars a month. 

3 minutes ago, robbyj said:

would it cut the price in half? an arma 3 sixty player vps costs way less than that per year. ($550.00) the price of running the server on linux changes the price by about fifteen dollars a month. 

I hope you understand that we cannot give any estimations for the prices of third party hosting providers. However,  in the future we will have the linux executables and make the server files public for modding and dedicated server hosting, so prices should definitely go down.

so once dedicated server hosting is available will i be able to host a server on the same machine i play on or will i need a seperate desktop to run the server?

20 hours ago, robbyj said:

why is the price to host a dayz server so high? the premiere experience to own and operate a private hive sixty player server for a year goes for about $1,676.00 (€1440.00). i can't think of any way to justify this price.

60 player private hive? .. dude! - share the price by 60   [2.33 dollars a month per private player]

I think "resource intensive" is the key lego-block you have missing from the Weltanschauung

7 hours ago, ImpulZ said:

I hope you understand that we cannot give any estimations for the prices of third party hosting providers. However,  in the future we will have the linux executables and make the server files public for modding and dedicated server hosting, so prices should definitely go down.

thumbs up to getting public server files and modding out there. personally i've been waiting years for that and if you have any more details on when players can expect that please share. but unless you want to make the case that all of these third party companies are gouging the price of dayz servers by ridiculous margins compared to virtually every other game out there, you're selling the game to these companies for too high of a price to begin with. 

1 hour ago, pilgrim* said:

60 player private hive? .. dude! - share the price by 60   [2.33 dollars a month per private player]

I think "resource intensive" is the key lego-block you have missing from the Weltanschauung

easier said than done.  we ran a server for 3 months and over the 3 months only had 2 people join that were willing to donate to help keep the server going.  thatbeing said we didnt start with a community of people, it was just the 4 of us to begin with.  still tho... i dont k ow too many people who can put together even a group of 10 people to play with never mind 60. 

very much looking foreward to the posability of hosting a dedicated server ourselves.

• Beans 1