Sign in to follow this  
Solopopo

A Thank You Is In Order

Thank you, devs, for resolving the blue screen of death crashes some people were experiencing. I have regained my confidence in you guys, and I am happy to be able to launch DayZ again without worry. 

To everyone I did not get a chance to respond to, I was right in pointing out this problem, and I was one of the few active in trying to get it resolved. I stand by everything I originally said. BSOD crashes are not acceptable in any circumstances. The fact that it was happening at all is still extremely bad. There is no clause in the alpha disclaimer that warns of potential harm to your system, and unless they add a disclaimer that warns of it, they better make sure full system crashes don't ever happen again. Some of you need to be less toxic. Few of you had anything to add after I bumped the thread but fanboy derision that ultimately wound up being unwarranted and wrong on all counts; hilariously wrong in fact, but not in a good way. Originally I said shame on the devs. Now I say shame on you. You derailed a valid thread about a real problem DayZ had. If I didn't wave my hands like an asshole about this issue from every mountain, there's a chance crashing still might be occurring. This is conjecture of course, but the reaction from this community makes me hesitant to put forth such effort again. 

For the record, I resorted to these forums and reddit after my post on the feedback tracker was not assigned to anyone. The fact that full system crashes are not prioritized concerns and irritates me for reasons that I think should be obvious. If we are willing to accept full system crashing, we've gone over the deep end; then we really are in an early access chasm we will never scale out of. BSOD is the epitome of failure in computer development. That is how it will be perceived. That is how it is. I cannot emphasize enough how unacceptable it is, regardless of the cause. The fact that it was battle-eye doesn't uncrash our computers. It is incumbent upon the developers to make sure DayZ is compatible with all other software it will interact with. A person who isn't a complete fool would think that goes without saying. 

Edited by Solopopo
  • Like 2
  • Beans 7

I think a lot of people can recognize that they were a niche issue, experienced by a few players; and many players, such as myself, have not experienced a BSOD for years.  My last one was by driver reversion, as were many others' issues. But it apparently was an issue, and you caught it and brought attention to the other few that had this issue only with DayZ. 

Don't worry about the hate, most people were applying occam's razor to an outlier case.  And maybe give the devs some slack.  The issue was incredibly rare, and was only statistically feasible to catch in a larger testing pool of effectively random user configurations.  It's pretty likely that the only way that they could have caught this was if you and a few other players had a specific arrangement of variables that allowed the BSOD.

Job well done.  Assuming you changed nothing about your rig. lol

• Beans 1

i applaud the fact that you found the error and that you added it to the feedback tracker.  even that you went farther and posted everywhere else you could think of when you didnt think it was being fixed fast enough.  however i imagine they fixed it when they got to it on the feedback tracker and i imagine flaming the game and the devs of the game did not make it any faster.  people reacted harshly to your post and to be honest i agreed with then because i believed and still do that they were frustrated in how you made your complaint and how instead of just bringing attention to the issue you felt the need to go on about how the devs were crap and you would never play again if they didnt respond right now.  it came across as entitled and demanding and kinda rubbed me and im sure a few others the wrong way.  i hope your future experiences are as welcoming as most of mine have been and that we one day can tell stories of these events around a campfire or in a newly crafted base sometime in the future.  i hope your negative experience is water under the bridge.  the people in this community arent toxic most of the time and are usually very informative, helpful, and provide amazing scenic stories of their journys in dayz. 

we all have bad days here and there.

• Beans 3

Nobody wants to see BSODs. While they are designed to shut down your system before ‘real’ damage appears, they still do harm. Bad sectors is not something you want. Corrupt adjacent sectors/files are a real issue.   It’s not unreasonable to be upset. 

Solopopo started a new thread here thanking the devs for addressing the issue after his previous thread was locked.  There really wasn’t a need to lock the other thread, IMO. Moderation on these forums is often knee-jerk and inconsistent anyways.  If you look hard enough you can also find months old bot posts. I report them all the time. The point being is that the forums are not tended to regularly. Which is fine, I guess. Fine until we get BSODs. 

Communication could be better. Then again, it could be worse. 

• Beans 2

13 hours ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

i applaud the fact that you found the error and that you added it to the feedback tracker.  even that you went farther and posted everywhere else you could think of when you didnt think it was being fixed fast enough.  however i imagine they fixed it when they got to it on the feedback tracker and i imagine flaming the game and the devs of the game did not make it any faster.  people reacted harshly to your post and to be honest i agreed with then because i believed and still do that they were frustrated in how you made your complaint and how instead of just bringing attention to the issue you felt the need to go on about how the devs were crap and you would never play again if they didnt respond right now.  it came across as entitled and demanding and kinda rubbed me and im sure a few others the wrong way.  i hope your future experiences are as welcoming as most of mine have been and that we one day can tell stories of these events around a campfire or in a newly crafted base sometime in the future.  i hope your negative experience is water under the bridge.  the people in this community arent toxic most of the time and are usually very informative, helpful, and provide amazing scenic stories of their journys in dayz. 

we all have bad days here and there.

This.  

21 hours ago, Solopopo said:

..//..

There is no clause in the .. disclaimer that warns of potential harm to your system, and unless they add a disclaimer that warns of it, they better make sure full system crashes don't ever happen again.

..//..

they LISTENED to you - that's a Good Thing, right?

WOW dude !  - Have you really NOT EVER read a MICROSOFT Disclaimer...   ??   - Microsoft  tell you UP FRONT that if Nothing works at ALL or does totally unexpected things, or EATS your computer, your data and your dog, bankrupts you,  drives you to a life of crime, does not perform in ANY way as "you the client"  expect, and/or  ANYTHING that MIGHT happen of which they have LEGALLY NO IDEA (and you signed to AGREE they HAVE no idea) that this thing you are buying is NOT "fit for purpose" in any way shape or form, its YOUR responsibility to know this - it MIGHT work, it could do ANYTHING, but you Signed for that GLITCH or 50 GLITCHES or that ARMAGEDDON - and they have cast iron GIANT law firms to back them if you try to sue them for recovery, death,  or loss or ANYTHING at all related to, or "caused by" or concerning "the software" - BUT you won't get mad with them because you're FINE with that contract AND you LEGALLY sign to say that too - ie  <<YOU bought it, we warned you, it's YOUR problem>>. Maybe Microsoft will fix something, maybe Microsoft won't..  If it really REALLY doesn't work and this is known worldwide by, say  330 million users - (like Vista) - ie its a TOTAL mess, MS will look at its profit margin and put out a new different OS and ignore ALL comments and COMPLAINTS about the last one, as if it never existed, and then you can SIGN UP, and ADMIT you were HONESTLY WARNED, pay your cash and buy that new one too.

MICROSOFT = zero guarantee about anything.. you REALLY never ever READ that MS contract? .. did you? 
NOW - Have an interesting evening finding out how much Microsoft backs YOU up when you have problems with THEIR software.  It's all in writing.

You had a problem - Bohemia LISTENED to you - that's a Good Thing, right?  - & how LONG did that solution take?

xxp

Toxic complaint got a toxic response. Really. What a surprise. Sometimes we have to go full postal to get attention, do not whine about the response you get though. You did what you thought it had to do, well done. Right up to the whine.