fosty99

Where is the DayZ population?

On 7/24/2018 at 8:39 AM, Girth Brooks said:

@pilgrim* I think they are relying on streamers and youtube for free advertising right now. I know they made bank when the SA was released but I wonder how much budget they have left for actual advertising..... 

SA never has been released, you mean Endless Alpha right?

• Beans 1

From my point of view SA was released as rather interesting, but bugged and poorly performing game to early public access stage. Later they shut the game down after making it perform nicely with 0.6, ironically gameplay has become uninteresting then. And everything what would make the game or would have made it exciting was held down, and still is. SO to my point of view SA was released to EA, then SA was shut down (by just killing the gameplay) and kept like that till now. So it is a zombie game, which itself IS A ZOMBIE, DayZ as game is a zombie. And people who plays are everyday are survivors in a weird way indeed.

SCUM will come out, DayZ population will probably drop down bellow 1k then. But only stupid bikes and bicycles could help to bring lots of players to check DayZ again. And that card is being held. And there are many other cards, if they are not actually lost. 

Speaking of strong cards, and population - where are 60+ servers ?

I'm still playing .62 more than I play any other game. High pop servers are still around, and the game is running pretty smoothly at the moment. 

My only gripe is that many of the public servers (Gameservers WA, FL, etc) are breaking down or the providers are moving them to .63 - which plays hell with persistence.

3 hours ago, Mookie (original) said:

My only gripe is that many of the public servers (Gameservers WA, FL, etc) are breaking down or the providers are moving them to .63 - which plays hell with persistence.

This has been my gripe since I started first started playing.  It would be so nice if they could designate a couple of the official servers as permanent playably persistent servers, with perhaps one staff member assigned to monitor a thread about performance and glitch abuse on these few servers for the regular players.

I used to enjoy it quite a bit, picking a random official server to call home.  It was interesting to litter the map with tents and try to track down and make contact with other regular players based on activity of vehicles and tent inventories over time.  What I consider an organic vanilla experience.

The development path has killed most of the base, imo. Countless "promises" that were never delivered. I don't blame the devs working on it, either now or before, it's just the way things have played out.

There is a chance they'll recoup some player base, after all there is still the kernel of a good game. It needs the devs to continue adding new stuff on a regular basis and, possibly more important these days, if the game can lure some of the prominent youtubers and twitchers to do content then I'd expect the servers to get much busier. They have missed the boat though, which is a shame.