Sign in to follow this  
ShaneRetter

If the 'healthy' status returns. Stews / casseroles

If the 'healthy' status returns, I'd personally like to see it become something that is quite difficult to reach if you're a lone wolf type, etc. I like the idea of there being a noticeable benefit to forming a stable group .. but also, as a more solo player myself, I'd like to see some real accomplishment in surviving alone, or even in a duo for a long period of time. I wonder if having the 'healthy' status effected greatly by how well you eat, etc, might be a good way to do something like that.

My idea is adding 'substantial meals' to the crafting list. Potato + steak / fish + tomato / pumpkin = one serving of stew / casserole, then four servings could be placed in a cooking pot at once.

If each serving gave a large health boost of some kind, then those in larger, more established groups would have a very good reason to farm / hunt, as the whole group could be able to maintain a good healthy status, and maybe even be less susceptible to infections, diseases, and illness, as well be fitter to defend their base / camp. This would also make being a healthy lone survivor something to be pretty proud of ... as it would mean you've not only managed to survive alone, but have survived well.

Just wondered what others think of this idea of making good health a real achievement, and the mark of a player with a more broad skill set.

Any thoughts?

Edited by ShaneRetter
Grammer
  • Like 1
  • Beans 2

Definitely needs to be a mechanic to encourage players to heat/cook/mix their food together to make actual meals. Then there can be mods that expand upon cooking introducing more tools, cutlery and ingredients :P

Loved don't starve's cooking mechanics.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

I would assume when we get more survival mechanics and game to hunt the amount of canned food will drop. That way cooking becomes more essential and hopefully more fun.

I like the idea of social eating. A positive bonfire, nice stew and a group of fellow survivors sharing it!

• Beans 2

3 hours ago, DannyDog said:

Definitely needs to be a mechanic to encourage players to heat/cook/mix their food together to make actual meals. Then there can be mods that expand upon cooking introducing more tools, cutlery and ingredients :P

Loved don't starve's cooking mechanics.

Sickness goes up if no proper meals taken in certain period of time.. Ez fix.
Also here could the vitamin bottle take a role: if "fast food" taken without cooking u need vitamins to count it as proper meal. 

Edited by exacomvm
  • Like 2

sounds like a suggestion from someone who plays in a large group already.  as a largely solo player I'd say your idea to gimp solo players is dumb.

I like the idea of advanced cooking.  Emuthreat wants to make a sammich.  Human on whole wheat, with a dollop of honey mustard, please.

5 hours ago, ShaneRetter said:

If the 'healthy' status returns, I'd personally like to see it become something that is quite difficult to reach if you're a lone wolf type, etc. I like the idea of there being a noticeable benefit to forming a stable group

There are already many benefits to forming a stable group.   The most obvious is your chance of survival versus hostile players.  Dealing with infected, sharing loot, navigation, and camaraderie are just some of the already present benefits of grouping up.

Typical of a sandbox where the biggest threat is other players, it's difficult to balance the difficulty of the lone wolf versus the environment.  As soon as you group up with someone it becomes so much easier.  The game is one big instance.  AI has to be reasonable when you're on your own.  Reasonable when you're a fresh spawn and when you're fully kitted.  But when you group up, especially when properly armed, the environment is little more than a bump in the road.  This has been a balancing hurdle for open world sandboxes for decades.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Red_Ensign said:

sounds like a suggestion from someone who plays in a large group already.  as a largely solo player I'd say your idea to gimp solo players is dumb.

No, as I stated, I'm a solo style player myself. I personally don't find much challenge in being solo vs being in a group .... actually, I find I'm at more risk currently in a group, because there's more chance people will get bored and look for a fight to give them something to do. I'd just love to have some kind of real achievement for being a 'long lived' solo player, as once I have a courier bag, boots, and a fishhook, I'm at peak chance of survival. If I can survive 30 - 60 minutes, I can go for months with just the basics. I want 'solo survival' to be something to be proud of.

@Parazight I don't see those benefits ... as I said above, I've survived months running alone, and find it very little challenge after the first 30 - 60 minutes, because I've found that basic civilian gear is really all you need to stay alive. I know once modded servers become a thing, there will be some pretty brutal ones around that offer more of challenge, but I just wanted to the idea out there in the wider community to see what others thought of having some harder to obtain perks.

6 minutes ago, ShaneRetter said:

@Parazight I don't see those benefits ... as I said above, I've survived months running alone, and find it very little challenge after the first 30 - 60 minutes, because I've found that basic civilian gear is really all you need to stay alive. I know once modded servers become a thing, there will be some pretty brutal ones around that offer more of challenge, but I just wanted to the idea out there in the wider community to see what others thought of having some harder to obtain perks.

The benefits are real.  I guess I've yet to experience a moment when dealing with the environment was harder while grouped up.   

Please note that I'm in the camp that believes that PVE will never be difficult, solo or grouped up.  Hence, the issue I briefly touched upon regarding PVE in a sandbox.

1 hour ago, Parazight said:

The benefits are real.  I guess I've yet to experience a moment when dealing with the environment was harder while grouped up.   

Please note that I'm in the camp that believes that PVE will never be difficult, solo or grouped up.  Hence, the issue I briefly touched upon regarding PVE in a sandbox.

I play a lot of The long dark, so I'd have to disagree with it being a sandbox thing ... that game is all PvE, and it is brutal. I'd say it's more that 1/3 the DayZ community think hardship sucks, 1/3 think it needs greater hardship, and 1/3 are in the middle somewhere. This is why I think modded servers will fill those wants for everyone. I just wondered if it could be a feature that may add a little more to the base game ... without being too punishing on people who just want to spawn, loot, shoot, die, spawn. More of a perk for those who play the long-game ... like soft skills will be.

I'd like to see these come into play as I do play in a group but solo too. Forget the cannabis, give us bay leaf and parsley :D

It always bugged me that I couldn't mix the powdered milk into my water to make some rehydrated milk for my dry cereal.  Need to be able to find/craft bowls and spoons too.

still not feedback on improved food mechanics? I member making a post years ago :P

still, now we have the elephant in the room, a recently launched alpha i will not name (may get in trouble, call its the peeing simulator :P), but they have gone full hog on such suggestions (to for if you ask me.)

Always thought food and nutrition was important in survival games, even if its hidden from the player

I though Dayz wished to have a nutrition system behind the scenes, after all we have vitamin bottles.. and seem to remember, just downing cans of soft drinks was gonna be bad for you. I hope such detail wont be overlooked, but if its not in the road-map by now, i guess it wont be

(added: they have added down sides to canned soft drinks in the 'stress Test' version :) )

Would be nice to know

(worked on it myself for a project i never finished :P)

Edited by soods