Sign in to follow this  
LuxCapere

Chernaus Facelift (Chernarus 2020)

I think it is time for the world of Dayz to get a very basic facelift. 

1. Out with the old, in with the new... : 

The world of Dayz has always been one of cold war era cataclysm and decay. Decay is cool and all, but let's be real, the environment of Dayz has decayed to the point of turning white *insert poo emoji here*. Dayz could be brought to life (yes I get the irony) if its environment were to be shifted from one of years of decay, LONG POST INFECTION, to one of mere DAYS or WEEKS after, or even a combination of the two. I think Dayz could get a major environmental boost from transitioning to showing players the world of DAYZ in the midst of ground zero. Buildings and streets could look fresh (still strewn with chaos in the midst of the very recent collapse of society), vehicles shouldn't be rusted very much, supermarkets and stores can still be found stocked (somewhat significantly) with various food items and the like. 

SURVIVAL IS HARD. But for the longest time, the world of DAYZ has felt beyond picked clean. And it is boring. It is time to freshen up zombie Armageddon. 

2. Longer-term environmental goals: 

One thing I would love to see some day, either done by the devs or modders, is a complete "fast-forwarding" and setting transplant, of Dayz, from the Cold War era to more modern times. Vehicles which look more modern, like how Arma 3 set its timeline in 2035 (Dayz could shoot for 2020, for example), along with fresher looking weapons, attachments,  items, clothing, and buildings....would simply...be BEYOND incredible. 

I think it would be cool if the dev team could really consider what it might actually mean to "breathe new life (or death)" into the world of Dayz Standalone. 

So, you're asking to completely overhaul the entire map and loot system?  Because it's boring?

9 hours ago, LuxCapere said:

SURVIVAL IS HARD

No it's not.  

I assume you're not talking about player versus player survival here considering how your post is about finding food and map changes.  Not dying to the environment won't be hard at 1.0.

The devs are at work re-implementing a ton of mechanics and have been working on map changes for 5 years now.  Unlikely they will scrap the entire map and remodel all of the assets, as you're sort of suggesting.

@LuxCapere Regarding this, the setting is chosen as a made up post-soviet country. It could be quite possible that you are fed-up with this setting, since we've been around Dayz early access for several years now. I've noticed this too. But for anyone getting a hold of this game only recently or only after a release, it would look awesome and additionally scary if the scenery is not what they're used to. I still find people on the servers who can't find a certain place on this huge map.

On 10/07/2018 at 6:20 AM, LuxCapere said:

One thing I would love to see some day, either done by the devs or modders, is a complete "fast-forwarding" and setting transplant, of Dayz, from the Cold War era to more modern times.

DayZ is set in like 2015 or something. Everything looks old because Chernarus is a post-Soviet backwater.

Different maps would be nice, though. Namalsk is similar to Chernarus in that it's also got that post-Soviet vibe going, but it'd be interesting if they'd add a new map with a completely different setting like some rural region in the US or western Europe or something - or even further east towards China.

On 7/10/2018 at 7:20 AM, LuxCapere said:

.. environment of years of decay, LONG POST INFECTION, to one of mere DAYS or WEEKS after

.. the disaster happened a few days or maybe weeks ago:  (this is not "canon" you can tell by looking)

In game there used to be piles of corpses from time to time - [they took them out (like the flies around bodies) to not offend]. Car's aren't rusted, the chrome is shiny and the boots and doors work.  Buildings are intact. Roads are not cracked - there is no grass or  trees growing through road surfaces or pavements, or blocking doorways or back yards, even dirt roads are still 100% clear, no trees have fallen across them, no brambles or undergrowth pushing through. Army tents have not rotted at all. No blown dirt or leaves.  Stairs and doors, and window frames in wooden building are solid and not hanging loose, glass not missing , floors are not dangerous or broken, roofs do not leak. No wallpaper or plaster or paint has not peeled or fallen. Nothing has decayed or collapsed, nothing is hanging loose. Ladders and platforms are solid, even wooden ladders on hunting stands are not slightly rotten, not a rung gives way. All new. The gardens don't show ONE summer's  overgrowth. Grass is short, the fields don't need harvesting, All the well pumps work,well water is clean  - The entire infrastructure has not even STARTED collapsing.

Obviously this disaster happened at the LATEST days or a month ago.
Look at photos of Chernobyl to see what a town looks like YEARS after abandonment (there are plenty on the web) = nothing like DayZ at all.

Changes of the DayZ map have been discussed in detail and argued over, here on this Blog,  with Dev involvement - things like cellars, house placement, the dilapidated/tended/abandoned look of the environment, why the forests are so thin you can drive a car through them, all the new towns that sprang up in the "wild" north, if maps should be joined edgeways between servers, if roads should be overgrown, different locations,  what the modders want  .. all that stuff is right here in the Blog if you check. There are  SEVERAL threads about this stuff.

9T9guhy.jpg

xxP

fVVOwEk.jpg

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Like 1

The only point you could criticize would be the broken windows almost every walk-in building has. But this is a technical decision.

The world of Chernarus otherwise has a completely legitimate look in terms of time / setting / place of action.

(I was in Egypt 1 week ago, and was visiting a city, not a city for tourists, no, just a city as it appears in the poorer areas.)

People I tell you the only thing better was the city, the windows were the Inhabited buildings .... the rest was in worse shape than in Chernarus, I do not even start to talk about garbage / rubbish because Chernarus is a very clean country, the fact is the Devs are doing well and many if not all Things have their permissions and considerations.

(If modders make the same maps with so much love and playability, then we'll have to wait a long time .... or have a crying eye because the time and effort was not to connect with the technique: Bamburgh 2017Mod Arma 3)

• Thanks 1