Sign in to follow this  
Swear Grylls

Calling in the troops!

After watching many many streamers who play DayZ both the live and the experimental all have their ways of getting around zombies or losing them if they gain aggro. So here is my suggestion and I am not sure if it has been mentioned before it may or may not have but a quick search and I have come up with nothing. Why not make it so when a zombie loses sight/track of a player he lets out some kind or scream or a loud growl/roar to call in more zombies from the area to have a better chance of finding the player. That way it adds a bit more challenge to getting away from them...especially when you have created a mini Hoard.....OR a massive one :) 

I think there's already something like that when they spot you. I think it's like that. Way back it seemed to me that when they spot you and make that aggroed sound, the ones in vicinity also start running after you. It seems the scream they make, works as a trigger for the ones in vicinity. There was some new detection system implemented based on sounds, and I suppose should get some tweaking onwards. Here's the last status report link, where Eugen mentions AI Sensors/Audibility/Visibility right at the beginning.

However, games in general have a problem with what happens after detection/aggro/"well he must've ran away" routine. I think if the devs get to implement this "alerting" thing, it's a good idea you have there. Definitely a step further. You'd need to stay well hidden for quite some time and pray if you can't fight them.

They should search the nearby buildings/structures too, in my opinion. But it's a good direction so far with AI. I think it'll work even better in the future. They don't just lock on you as soon as you're detected like before. You can actually fire a shot behind a building, then run away and see them getting grouped up at that location, kind of like confused when they see there's no one around after all. You can draw their attention away. Not easy all the time but it worked for me.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

I've always been a fan of the idea to weaponize the infected.  Not that they should have any type of proficiency with a firearm, but at least to be able to pull a trigger on a loaded weapon.  This would be great, in my opinion, as it would 'call in the troops' as you say.

• Beans 3

Well, I think it all depends what's logical and what the lore says about the way those people got infected and how the infection progressed. I like the idea that some soldier, a police man, a villager with a double-barrel or some hunter out in the woods caught the virus. Even a person from urban area who got hold of a weapon during the outbreak... you name it. Infected with a biker helmet on. Or a backpack. I think it should be easy to do and would add a bit more variety. It could add some chilling moments and confusion hearing a shot/shots. Seeing someone with a weapon, for at least a moment not knowing if that's a player or some infected who got stuck with that weapon, roaming around... Imagine those villagers holding a hay hook or a knife, now running at you... brrr. Instead of simply finding it in their inventory.

Now, what if we had a mini-gun in a game like this? :D

• Beans 2

On 7/11/2018 at 12:33 AM, Parazight said:

Not that they should have any type of proficiency with a firearm, but at least to be able to pull a trigger on a loaded weapon.  This would be great, in my opinion, as it would 'call in the troops' as you say.

Parazight that idea is off tits !