Shadowvamp

The state of current gameplay

What is it *this* time: lack of food and water, lack of guns, or lack of vehicles?

-reads first few sentences-

Ah. Welp. Nothing new, i see. It **really** seems like Day Z isnt the game for you. It is **supposed** to be hardcore. 

6 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Every significant patch brings another wave of "fans" onto this forum and another wave of repeat complaint threads.

True.

How you invite them.

On 6.7.2018 at 7:38 AM, emuthreat said:

If you search half of a town and find nothing, move on, because someone has already been there.  If you do loot a whole town, make a second pass by the apple trees, as some of them may have dropped since you arrived.  3 or 4 apples will let you JOG to the next place.

I've found that the best success comes from covering ground and getting to the places with lots of stuff.  Try to think of it as places having overall abundance or scarcity at that specific time you are there.  Of course there will be exceptions, but once you hit a "good" town with abundance, you can travel much farther directly and only have to plan for wells for a few towns.  Getting off the coast is hard, and I think that might be intentional.  It's a survival game, and your choices do matter now.  I've nearly died with a friend before, each sharing food and trying to be thorough, until we were both on the verge of starving to death.  We survived by having the one who was least hungry sprinting ahead to search scattered houses while the other kept on a beeline for the next major town.

The game has changed, and so must our habits.

11 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Please clarify.  Do you hate the fact that you actually have to stop, eat and drink, and take your time or do you hate the fact that there's no instant gratification of finding gear so you can go pew pew with you buddies every 15 mins?

Nah I have no problem having to stop eat and drink, I even said making food rarer would be a better option, than having to eat 6+ tins to restore yourself, the problem comes from the gameplay loop, again making food rarer (and more effective) is a better gameplay mechanic (imo) than having to constantly eat and scavenge for your next meal, (I am exaggerating the issue a bit) but yeah you get the gist of it, I also realize that this is most likely due to the 12x accelerated time we have at the moment, either way when they put the servers back to normal speed there will be a problem, as you will never need to eat ...

I am just surprised that they haven't nailed down this specific aspect of the game after so many years of alpha testing and collecting data, just seems weird to me .

Edited by Ninefingers

3 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

than having to eat 6+ tins to restore yourself, the problem comes from the gameplay loop

The "loop" comes from dying. Don't die. The 6+ tins phase you have in the first half hour. In a bad run maybe one hour.

again making food rarer (and more effective) is a better gameplay mechanic (imo) than having to constantly eat and scavenge for your next meal,

After the first "hunger phase" you have not to eat constantly. In the steam forum they post pictures with backpacks full of food. They do not scavenge for the next meal.

I am just surprised that they haven't nailed down this specific aspect of the game after so many years of alpha testing and collecting data, just seems weird to me .

With each new stuff (for example stamina) also food has to be recalculated. I don't see any surprises here.

I was a bit surprised that we have no "stuffed" status. Knowing that it is not final, makes it easy to ignore this.

(I am exaggerating the issue a bit)

True.

Edited by ImageCtrl
  • Beans 1

33 minutes ago, ImageCtrl said:

The "loop" comes from dying. Don't die. The 6+ tins phase you have in the first half hour. In a bad run maybe one hour.

After the first "hunger phase" you have not to eat constantly. In the steam forum they post pictures with backpacks full of food. They do not scavenge for the next meal.

With each new stuff (for example stamina) also food has to be recalculated. I don't see any surprises here.

I was a bit surprised that we have no "stuffed" status. Knowing that it is not final, makes it easy to ignore this.

True.

Like I said the biggest problem at the moment is the 12x speed, has it been confirmed this affects food and hydration levels? a lot of people have implied it does, in which case it makes sens . 

That being said I am a long time player with thousands of hours played, I do not have issues gearing up or finding food (even after a long break), as I know the map like the back of my hand, the problem I am seeing is new players struggling and not enjoying their first DayZ experience, I still remember mine on the mod as one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had .

Many players first impressions of DayZ right now will flat out suck, spawn in already dying, loot mostly empty houses, gets mauled by a zed and die of starvation/dehydration, rinse repeat... for newcomers this is daunting and doesn't show the game under the best light, more often than not a players first experience in DayZ is decisive on whether he will play it again .

Edited by Ninefingers

7 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

I dont know how you manage to have the strength to carry on with such responses, @Biohaze. I just roll my eyes at them now.

It isnt worth the effort, mate. There will just be new morons

You're absolutely right.

Any reasonable individual would likely refrain from engaging these pseudo-trolls.

I am however, not a reasonable person.

I also believe that these posts encourage and perpetuate the ignorant feedback loop of people who want to come on here and scream and cry about how broken the game is and how corrupt Bohemia is.

With that in mind, I think it's important to make an example of the more outspoken detractors while trying to properly inform those that simply want to learn about DayZ.

Also, I enjoy seeing myself type, and enjoy debate and verbal sparring; so there's that.

• Beans 1

Just kill someone , eat their dead body (raw or cooked , don’t matter, there’s no infection in this experimental patch) and use them calories to make all kinds of gains over the mountains to the promised land . You’re welcome . 

Well, I'm speechless. Almost.

@Shadowvamp I sincerely apologize on behalf of Biohaze. That kind of behavior has absolutely no place on this forum under any circumstances. There was nothing in your OP that could've provoked the kind of response you got. I think it's incredibly ironic coming form a guy with that Harry Truman quote in their signature.

I've hidden the worst of it but tried to leave as many posts up as possible.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 3

6 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

Many players first impressions of DayZ right now will flat out suck, spawn in already dying, loot mostly empty houses, gets mauled by a zed and die of starvation/dehydration, rinse repeat... for newcomers this is daunting and doesn't show the game under the best light, more often than not a players first experience in DayZ is decisive on whether he will play it again .

But they pressed this button, right?

71u6iv.jpg

Because if they did, they should have read that the game was not in an altogether "fun" state to play and they should be at least somewhat interested in testing and should be prepared for bugs and unbalanced mechanics if they want to be involved.

10 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

Like I said the biggest problem at the moment is the 12x speed, has it been confirmed this affects food and hydration levels?

I'm fairly certain that the day/night cycles do not affect anything besides the sky.  Consider the case if it were otherwise.  Players on community servers would move from 1:1 server to another with accelerated time, and would promptly dehydrate or starve, based on their level of preparedness for a 1:1 time ratio server.

I really don't know what's wrong with a lot of people....  It seems like some folks set up expectations contrary to the intended outcome, and current state of the game.
I read up on DayZ a bit before buying, and foolishly assumed it was just over halfway done in Jan 2015.  I was disappointed, but kept playing because there was, and still is, nothing else quite like it.
This of course came from a somewhat informed and open-minded attitude about Participating in an Early Access Development Project.  I am here just as much for the experience of seeing how the development of such a game progresses, as I am to play the finished project.  

So in this sense, I find it highly confusing for anyone to be overly disappointed by first impressions of a game with a disclaimer banner one must click every time the game is played.  It's like sitting on the grass at a park, the day after 3 days of rain; if you expect anything besides soggy pants, that's on you...

Edited by emuthreat
  • Beans 1

I see your point Emuthreat. Its Alphuur after all! 

But from a clever and tactical stand point to get People excited for the game. Minor things like insane thirst levels will ruin the experiance quite a bit.  Its such a easy thing to notice and tweek. I Dont even understand how they missed it in the first place. 

I tried experiment 6.3 just when it got out and instantly I noticed how the new inventory UI was really Hard to read. Impossible to tell for example what ammo was what without hovering the mouse over it. 

Even as a 3D art student other students would have remarked on such a flaw very fast. Dunno how the Dayz devs manages to miss it. 

Other example of broken stuff that just remained for ages in DayZ:

Food poisoning was at one point pretty much impossible to cure and increased thirst rate by like 20x. Suicide was pretty much the only option. 

Or if it was raining and you where dying of Hypothermia and you where't allowed to make fires in the Rain or inside. Only certain obscure sheds worked... 

Or how one bullet somehow can destroy a full backpack worth of content. Dunno if thats intended, but its damn silly.

When things like that just remaines... Ofc it will ruin players experiances. Im not saying things need to be perfect. But many things should have been noticed and tweeked by the devs. 

They are't exactly helping DayZs already kinda mixed reputation. 

Well, there's no Dayz reputation. Only comments about a game in development which creates an illusion of reputation. Although very effective one, knowing all the things being said and written about it. I'd totally agree with everything you say here if 1.0 was released this spring and was still broken. I think everyone involved with early access Dayz should receive daily email/notification or every time when attempting to post here should pop-up in the middle of their screens.

dayzDisclaimer1.jpg

Every time you need to click I understand. There's five sentences explaining everything and a button with a sentence for you to click on as a meaning of agreement. There should be one thousand developers and ten thousand PR needed to respond and attempt to fix every nook and cranny momentarily for your convenience. Or there should be another button "No, thanks" in which case the game deletes itself from your hard drive and takes you to some youtube Dayz hating content creator's channel.

• Beans 2

The Early Access disclaimer in-game is not there as some blanket shield to be pointed at whenever someone has something negative to say, guys.

How are people supposed to give feedback or suggest improvements for things they don't enjoy if any time they do it's "not allowed because you clicked I Understand."

The things OP brought up in this thread are not unreasonable but you can still disagree with their opinion and talk about why that is and what the benefits are for going with it or not. That's how you get a quality discussion. 

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Beans 3

Well, personally for me, I read through some of posts like these beside OPs one, and get the general rage tone. There is little to no effort for making a post that hasn't got a reasonable critical but mocking tone, in most of the cases. And sure, I might be seeing what's not there after all. I understand you shouldn't discourage people from reporting issues and posting their opinions. You can write that you think this and that feature is a bit off or a way off. I am happy to join the cue on good thoughts about certain features. Pointing out something as you're watching someone work, without mocking comments along the way, seems to give better results in live conversations. And the disclaimer is there up front to inform you that there are problematic design decisions etc. which are subject to change. I don't get what's wrong with a reminder, especially about things that seem obviously wrong in current state.

And again, both OP and others get some good advice right at the start. I am not happy too to see the flaming soon after.

11 minutes ago, cirkular said:

And again, both OP and others get some good advice right at the start. I am not happy too to see the flaming soon after.

This is usually how it starts. Decent discussions and opinions flowing around. Then you get completely different people coming in causing a downward spiral. 

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 2

1 hour ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

whenever someone has something negative to say, guys

Doesn't the tone and level of understanding from which they pose their negative criticism count for anything?

New forumers who act like they understand the dev process and don't come off as whining get all my respect and quality feedback.

• Beans 2

i totally understand the frustration of the orrigional poster and of the person upset with him.  the orrigional poster was suffering from 'i died a bunch because it wasnt easy enough for me' syndrome, and the reaponder was tired of reading hundreds of posts of people saying the game sucks because it is difficult.  

i also am under the impression that the game is supposed to be an incredably difficult survival game in a sandbox environment.  you should not be finding food everywhere and you should get hungry.  if surviving is easy then people will get bored and immediately turn to pew pew pvp.  THAT would ruin gameplay. 

personally i find the magic of this game to be that moment when you see another player and follow them for a while to get an idea of if they will be friendly.  then once that is ascertained working with them to survive this apocalyptic new world.  if the only thing you need to work to survive is other players then why play at all.  we have cod for that.  

you shouldnt go from hungry to stuffed with a full backpack of food in an hour and you shouldnt need to eat only once every 6.  you shouldnt be able to sprint from one end of map to other.  you should need to calculate your decisions, your routes of travel, your rations, clothing for warmth and every other aspect to survive and learn from your mistakes by dying and starting again.  

food poisoning almost always killing you for example.... should be an exelent way to learn to cook your food and purify your water...

2 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Doesn't the tone and level of understanding from which they pose their negative criticism count for anything?

49 minutes ago, cirkular said:

There is little to no effort for making a post that hasn't got a reasonable critical but mocking tone, in most of the cases.

The tone doesn't have anything wrong with it in this thread, until you started posting Biohaze. OP's attitude in the opening post is acceptable, even with the very benign "x simulator" line. That's a simple symptom of frustration and you should be allowed to express that within reason, as OP did. 

Also, you don't need to have any understanding of game development to complain about any aspect of a game, just like you don't need to be a chef to have taste. 

Just now, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

you don't need to have any understanding of game development to complain about any aspect of a game

So his frustration is valid but the people who have to read the 6th thread complaining about the same thing because he can't bother to search or merely skim other thread titles, aren't supposed to feel frustration?

DayZ game dev, a process fraught with complexities, is not like any other early access project I've seen. If you're misinformed or poorly informed you can't speak intelligently to support your complaints.

2 minutes ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

The tone doesn't have anything wrong with it in this thread, until you started posting Biohaze. OP's attitude in the opening post is acceptable, even with the very benign "x simulator" line. That's a simple symptom of frustration and you should be allowed to express that within reason, as OP did. 

Also, you don't need to have any understanding of game development to complain about any aspect of a game, just like you don't need to be a chef to have taste. 

Sure, when we talk about taste, it's an endless discussion of course :) Still, while you don't need to be a chef to have taste, you do need to be a chef if you plan on satisfying everyone in the room. If a person who awaits for food throws a grain of salt in the cooking pan instead of his plate only, just because he likes his food more salty, I can't see how are the others wrong about complaining. Works both ways.

• Beans 1

On 7.7.2018 at 2:41 PM, Ninefingers said:

the problem I am seeing is new players struggling and not enjoying their first DayZ experience, I still remember mine on the mod as one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had .

Although your two sentences sounds like a contradiction, I think that almost everyone thinks so. I guess you had some goals in the mod time.

The temporary problem is that we have no better gear. The motivation to learn to play like pro is nearly zero.
Scopes, cars, boats, helicopters, basebuilding, night vision etc... all the good stuff is missing. Progress is missing (in 0.63). It will come. The motivation to learn how to survive will come.

I do not think that a easy start would make the situation better.

On 7.7.2018 at 3:21 PM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I also believe that these posts encourage and perpetuate the ignorant feedback loop of people who want to come on here and scream and cry about how broken the game is and how corrupt Bohemia is.

But all this is not the case. No screaming, no crying, no talk about "a broken game" no post about "corrupt Bohemia".

It is normal feedback, like 90% of the new players will have in this build.

There was zero reason to scare him off.

About the alpha card... of course you can use the alpha card. Still a valid card. But why in this thread? There was no rage quit post about a bug in alpha stage.

The thread could end with "ok, you were right, I played a few more hours and there is no problem, thanks for the info that some indicators are missing and that nothing is final, check the boats for food was an awesome tip". But he is gone.

You scared someone off for nothing.

To cirkular and the same ones.

Pretty "wise" ^^^^^^^ So you said "satisfying everyone", you said it yourself. So lets face it, not everyone is satisfied, but you are, so are you being selfish now, or what ? Seems like you are the one who is
choosing salt levels for others :) 

Boredom and time wasting lovers are getting out of hand...

I have to try wisdom stuff too...

If a person awaits for food and there is no food lol then it doesn't mean that there should be food, because no food is more hardcore for others, I can not see how others are being wrong about wanting to keep starving a little bit longer :D

And I think you missed the point badly. You don't have to be a chef to have a taste, but to be a chef I think you should have a pretty damn good taste....

Edited by Mantasisg

1 hour ago, ImageCtrl said:

You scared someone off for nothing.

Re-read the OP's post.  That was absolutely whining with zero knowledge of what has been going on with the game.  "Hunger simulator" ffs?  Posts like these are shit and absolutely unwarranted.  

Adding "Just my opinion" doesn't change the fact that posts like these are a person raging about something they have no control over.

Edited by Guy Smiley
  • Beans 3