Shadowvamp

The state of current gameplay

I started back up playing DayZ the last few days... My personal views.

Honestly, you should switch the name to hunger simulator, because that's all I do is look for my next meal... The players get hungry way too fast, I could see if there is plenty of food but I search TOWNS not finding anything. So sick of running door to door not finding nothing, and when I do.. it makes a small impact to my hunger level because when I finally do find something, im on death's doorstep. This game could be truly fun, with a simple adjustment.. Please extending the hunger duration a bit, you start the game hungry, and it never seems to end.

There should be stages, perhaps random dizzy spells etc.. anything but dropping dead.. so unrealistic.

Aside from that, im enjoying the game again.. just wish I had more time to focus on tactics, crafting and meeting up with friends. The idea of a friend is like bringing on another mouth to feed, and it seems out of the question at this point in time hehe. This will probably fall on def ears like usual, so I just wanted to voice my opinion. Thanks.

• Beans 1

Speed of getting hungry/thirsy is by no means final, so don't worry, there is still a lot of balancing to be done. :-) The other thing, its actually pretty easy to find food, which is not going down as fast as water is, you just need to know where to look for it. 

Try to search carefully every corner you encounter, every piece of clothing on the ground, kill some infected, cos the food drop rate is pretty hight from them. (Or at least i have some great luck.) 

• Beans 1

If you search half of a town and find nothing, move on, because someone has already been there.  If you do loot a whole town, make a second pass by the apple trees, as some of them may have dropped since you arrived.  3 or 4 apples will let you JOG to the next place.

I've found that the best success comes from covering ground and getting to the places with lots of stuff.  Try to think of it as places having overall abundance or scarcity at that specific time you are there.  Of course there will be exceptions, but once you hit a "good" town with abundance, you can travel much farther directly and only have to plan for wells for a few towns.  Getting off the coast is hard, and I think that might be intentional.  It's a survival game, and your choices do matter now.  I've nearly died with a friend before, each sharing food and trying to be thorough, until we were both on the verge of starving to death.  We survived by having the one who was least hungry sprinting ahead to search scattered houses while the other kept on a beeline for the next major town.

The game has changed, and so must our habits.

• Beans 4

I hate the contrast between realism and how unrealistic some of the game mechanics have become, gameplay is the most important aspect of a game; you would think in 5 years since this game has been in early access, and we have alpha tested thousands of hours each, they would know what was best hunger/thirst mechanics-wise, balancing and fine tuning gameplay aspects like this should have been hammered out and very close to final implementation years ago ...

Edited by Ninefingers

18 minutes ago, Ninefingers said:

I hate the contrast between realism and how unrealistic some of the game mechanics have become, gameplay is the most important aspect of a game; you would think in 5 years since this game has been in early access, and we have beta tested thousands of hours each, they would know what was best hunger/thirst mechanics-wise, balancing and fine tuning gameplay aspects like this should have been hammered out and very close to final implementation years ago ...

I guess that you claim that it is way to hard to find food. Maybe you even claim that you have to eat all ten minutes. After a few hours more ingame you will say the opposite.

Edited by ImageCtrl

12 minutes ago, ImageCtrl said:

I guess that you claim that it is way to hard to find food. Maybe you even claim that you have to eat all ten minutes. After a few hours more you say the opposite.

I did not claim that, atm finding food is a non issue as there is no sickness in the game, it is the fact that the devs still haven't found the formula that is worrisome, gameplay>everything else, even if you have all the food and water you need, having to drink and eat all the time is a pretty lousy game mechanic, I'd much rather food be rarer, but you need less of it, one tin = a decent meal, 2 tins a feast, and then you're sorted for the next couple hours, it just isn't fun gameplay wise, when they add sickness back in, it will be even more of a chore .

Edited by Ninefingers
  • Beans 1

7 minutes ago, Ninefingers said:

I did not claim that, atm finding food is a non issue as there is no sickness in the game, it is the fact that the devs still haven't found the formula that is worrisome, gameplay>everything else, even if you have all the food and water you need, having to drink and eat all the time is a pretty lousy game mechanic, I'd much rather food be rarer, but you need less of it, one tin = a decent meal, 2 tins a feast, and then you're sorted for the next couple hours, it just isn't fun gameplay wise, when they add sickness back in, it will be even more of a chore .

Thanks for clarification. I wait for the "stuffed" status before I jump into that discussion.

3 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

We will have to see how it goes when diseases are in but currently with every play-through I never see my icons turn yellow. I just eat and drink everything that I find and it does not feel that it is a chore. I just go inside houses and look beneath apple trees.

I do think that the amount of drink and food you need to get ''stuffed'' is too much, but I am sure this will be addressed when features such as throwing up and actual stuffed comes back .

• Beans 1

3 hours ago, ImageCtrl said:

Thanks for clarification. I wait for the "stuffed" status before I jump into that discussion.

This over and over, UI needs more elements to it, until then stuff down every bit of food you find and you're good for hours.

What's stopping the devs from making a 1mb update which slows down hunger and thirst? Why isn't it done yet? All it takes is adjusting some numbers and that's it. This is a thing that can be fixed instantly and with no effort and yet it has a huge negative impact on the game

Edited by Saylor Twift
  • Beans 2

Agreed, tweaking and adjusting should be a constant when they have not found the right balance for "good" gameplay .

I only have about 100 hours into this game, but from what I can tell, the only harrowing part about water/food consumption is finding the first water source and some way to open cans, once that's over, food is easy to get. Apples seem to spawn AFTER you've walked past them, so if they're not there, go back a couple minutes later and they're there. I don't WANT this game to get too easy, if someone wants to get into a firefight instantly, other genres are probably what you're looking for. That being said, I have some gripes, mainly with things like how hard it is now to find stones.

Well that escalated quickly...

Oh shit.  Someone kicked the Beehive again.

FWIW, I think "spoon-fed" needs to be hyphenated.  So I guess there's that...

• Beans 1

I only rep myself here, bright eyes.

No one is going to change anything about the progress of this game in any way because you came on here crying about the hunger and thirst. Not to mention the other posts on the same topic already in circulation.

I also never once used foul language I only pointed out that your whining is unfounded and childish. Which you couldn't handle and then began your abusive idiotic tirade...

If you meltdown every time someone calls your bullshit, you must have stock in Kleenex by now.

*I stay hydrated on the tears of the ignorant.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

I hate the contrast between realism and how unrealistic some of the game mechanics have become, gameplay is the most important aspect of a game; you would think in 5 years since this game has been in early access, and we have alpha tested thousands of hours each, they would know what was best hunger/thirst mechanics-wise, balancing and fine tuning gameplay aspects like this should have been hammered out and very close to final implementation years ago ...

Please clarify.  Do you hate the fact that you actually have to stop, eat and drink, and take your time or do you hate the fact that there's no instant gratification of finding gear so you can go pew pew with you buddies every 15 mins?

This is meant to be a HARDCORE SURVIVAL SIMULATOR!!!!  You should be on the brink of starving a good bit, it should be harsh and hard to survive in this desolate wasteland.  That is DayZ.  If that is not what you like, then DayZ isn't your game, sorry but that is fact.  Folks who ACTUALLY like DayZ want the hardcore survival simulator.

Perhaps a less hardcore and less harsh survival game is in store for these type people.

• Beans 1

16 minutes ago, thebaddestass said:

This is meant to be a HARDCORE SURVIVAL SIMULATOR!!!!  You should be on the brink of starving a good bit, it should be harsh and hard to survive in this desolate wasteland.  That is DayZ.  If that is not what you like, then DayZ isn't your game, sorry but that is fact.  Folks who ACTUALLY like DayZ want the hardcore survival simulator.

Perhaps a less hardcore and less harsh survival game is in store for these type people.

They have them.  Rust and Miscreated are definitely the wannabe survival games that some people who come here and scream about DayZ want

• Beans 1

@Shadowvamp It's okay but I think if you just keep the rants to pure observation levels, you'd not get so much hate here :D

Also, time is accelerated like 12x I think and you need to take that into accout. So there's still tweaking to happen with many features. They'll get to it at certain point.

I get that, but this guy comes out of the woodwork acting like a absolute donkey... if you read the post.. its personal attacks.. and that's enough for me.

I guess that's ok here as long as no curse words are used huh? whatever, he can disagree about it.. but he chose to act like a donkey, so a donkey he is.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
Edited out some insults.

54 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Nah son, the truth just stung a little (a lot).

Every significant patch brings another wave of "fans" onto this forum and another wave of repeat complaint threads.

If you read my original post, I was lumping your sorry ass in with all of the other Johnny come lately cry babies.

But you're certainly the ooey-gooey-meltiest one, aren't you?

I've dealt with so many of your kind; you all just blend into an amorphous whining blob of impatient complainers.

Why should I give a fuck if your panties get in a bunch when I wedgie you for peeing all over our house?

and this boihaze...... is why you are my favorite.   i lay low but i am always reading lol.

• Thanks 1