Baty Alquawen

Status Report 3 July 2018

Hello Survivors,

as this week we have some national holidays coming up in the Czech Republic and a big part of the team took this chance to take a few days of vacation, this Status Report will be shorter than usual. However, we are diving into exciting content regardless, as we will be talking about the upcoming first big update for 0.63. And we are happy to showcase another huge collection of your awesome community content - Let's get to it!

Dev Update/Eugen

Dear Survivors,
it's about time to talk about the content update that's coming to Stress Test branch very soon and will get rolled over to the Experimental servers after making sure everything works as intended. We will try and batch the content updates in this way so we can stabilize and make sure the content works properly.

• AI Sensors/Audibility/Visibility

With this change you will see your stealth options getting expanded by quite a bit: Besides stances, the colours and weight of items will affect your ability to avoid zombies and confuse their perception.

• Hidden Stash

With this feature, you'll be able to hide your loot underground and put containers to use. The shovel will be spawning alongside the new containers ready to use. Same goes for corpses.

giphy.gif

• Character - Unconsciousness

Shock stat and weapon hits that increase it can cause the character to fall unconscious to be possibly saved by friends in your group. With the unconsciousness state, you'll be seeing more options to disable players and interact with them in combat.

• CPR 

The ability to CPR people with high shock values.

• Gestures

The new radial menu alongside the newly added gestures will now be available for even more interactions and videos you may create.

giphy.gif

• Repairing 

Items like the Sewing kit, Weapon Cleaning kit, Duct tape and more are seeing a comeback as durability matters again. Weapons don't jam yet but that's something you'll definitely see in a future content update.

• New weapons

Yes, there are new weapons coming to the game and it's two classics that everybody loves. M4A1 and Mosin. Yay!

giphy.gif

• Scopes

There is no definite list of scopes coming yet in the first content update, but, based on the weapons currently in the game, we will deliver a meaningful selection.

• Soft skills

The Soft skills are getting in, so you'll see the basic specializations working and your crafts bringing better results faster.

• Environmental Exposure

The temperature system will start working without any repercussions first to gather more information on how harsh we want to get.

• Jumping

We have started working on a huge animation set for jumps and climbing this year. So with the upcoming update, the first part of this package is gonna get in and give you the ability to cross some basic obstacles improving your manoeuvrability throughout Chernarus.

giphy.gif

• Diseases

Diseases and associated effects (coughing, sneezing and more) are returning as well as items that resolve possible negatives, such as purification tablets. This includes the possibility of diseases transfer from player to player and items.

• Compass 

The first part of the navigation system in DayZ besides the new map is the compass. Hopefully, it will help you to learn more about Chernarus and its intricacies.

giphy.gif

• Ambient Loot

One of the core features that we want to use to solve a possible lack of loot is a set of items that spawn not centrally but based on the player position and interactions. This might need a lot more tweaks, so expect its values to change even during testing.

• Voice Communication

The whole Voice Communication system along with radios, public radios, megaphone etc. is coming to the game to give you objectives on the map as well as new options to communicate and meet with other survivors in the game.

So, how soon this is going to happen? The features listed here are undergoing testing as of now and the content has been branched away from the internal development version with many more fixes and improvements to stability, security and server performance.

On a side note, since in the internal version of this patch, we resolved the GDPR issues blocking the ability to switch to the experimental version, with its introduction we will enable this option for server owners. I'm personally looking forward to all this content coming back alongside things that changed and have been improved upon heavily. See you in Chernarus!

- Eugen Harton / Lead Producer

Community Spotlight

Hello Survivors,

This weekend, Nine Inch Nails (a band that many of us in the dev team like) had a gig at the Aerodrome festival near Prague, and guess what - Alessandro Cortini, who's been a member of NIN for quite some time now, is a fellow DayZ survivor! We could not pass on the opportunity to meet with Alessandro, and so we did bother him for a bit before he went up on stage! It's been so awesome to chat and listen to some of his stories! Just a brief look at his DayZ t-shirt reassured us that he's serious about being a fan - the condition of the t-shirt has been way, way past pristine, and so we set him up with a new one :) Check out Alessandro on iTunes or SoundCloud, and look for him on Chernarus. Remember - talk to people! You never know who's on the other side, it could be someone from your favorite band!

153b30bb-26c4-4db9-a192-8400860f659e.jpg

Let's check out some new video content:

An emotional story of the life of Ricky Jameson by CamCANTRUN recorded in DayZ and the Arma 3 Eden Editor:

Ant made a DayZ fan trailer and it is really nice!

Rustycaddy made a video in honor of our beautiful Chernarus:

This is a story about the great opening of Uncuepa's bar. It starts really nice, there were a plenty delicious food, drinks and music, but what happened in the end wasn't nice…

And what about some of your pictures and drawings? Check it out:

The first one is a nice edit of a screenshot by the famous DrDesync.

r4ib64i4gi611.jpg

Another edit is made by Reddit user TheWhishImBallHorson named "They Found Me". Good job!

zXQiDZF.jpg

Zarrov sent us a sketch of his idea of barricading. It looks impressive!

1mdb3sgteu511.jpg

It is an end of a school year and Barrett5Bumpas is getting bored at his classes. So he made this DayZ inspired picture. It is really nice, but don't forget - education is more important than video games!

77u0vvoaul511.jpg

Do you know you can change the skin of your Steam? I didn't know until today. Mdswish shared his DayZ themed customized skin with the community, you can download it here.

790a1223-78cc-4570-b5c6-0ebdd5e04602.jpg

Do you remember the photo series Humans of Chernarus? It continues and it is still really cool. If you don't know it, it is a portrait of some DayZ characters living on the DayZ Underground server, the project is inspired by Humans of New York.

45f34ec8-084b-4f29-9f1b-7a1e928a4a53.jpg

And the last community content for today are Joito's Twitch alerts made by the talented Cobalt_Smobalt. They are so awesome!

follow.gif

host.gif

bttf.gif

Let's check the riddle.

Who guessed the riddle from the last Status Report? 

• Emu Threat
  • basedBara_RL
  • CanisDirus

The correct answer was a Little Hill near Mogilevka.

428e354e-2133-4c3c-8d03-bef540677ee1.jpg

And the riddle for this Status Report is:

d4fbf2ad-3416-4aab-9d81-71ccb7c44abd.jpg

If you know where is it, tweet it to our official Twitter account with #DayZriddleTime and you can be on the Wall of Fame next time.

Thank you for every content you've sent me and see you next time!

- Baty / Community Manager

Header image by A1ANNUAKII.

• Beans 15

Thanks devs, all!

Enjoy your holidays/vacations.

Many of us are excited for more content.

I'm hoping we see some this week.... But I'm guessing vacations will keep that from happening?

I'll just have to hurry up and wait.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

that's coming to Stress Test branch very soon and will get rolled over to the Experimental servers after making sure everything works as intended.

Seems like devs are bringing up things we all already know about. Feels like we are stuck on repeat and things are constantly promised to come "soon". Beta around the corner or late next year?

Edited by Brandon Clinch

26 minutes ago, Brandon Clinch said:

Seems like devs are bringing up things we all already know about. Feels like we are stuck on repeat and things are constantly promised to come "soon". Beta around the corner or late next year?

Seriously don't think it'll be long. My guestimate is stress test next week with some of the content from status report. I don't think they'll push everything in one patch. Gradually release->test till its all in and then pushed to experimental.

Are you planning to make a system where you bury your people? Crafting a cross, making an actual grave?

Is it planned?

Something like this:

dirt-grave-and-shovel-3d-model.jpg

• Beans 7

"God Money...."

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 1
  • Beans 3

That parkour!! Wow. Really looking forward to being able to repair clothes again! :D 

-AI sensors : seems like stealth will become important for PVE as much as for PVP. It's a good thing.

Very nice status report. 

Cheers fellas!

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, Baty Alquawen said:
  • Voice Communication

The whole Voice Communication system along with radios, public radios, megaphone etc. is coming

I would really like to hear more about where the devs are currently with: 

• Hearing someone else's radio:  Example: Player A has no radio, but is standing beside Player B who has a radio, and is talking on the radio to Player C (who is far away), Player A should be able to hear both sides of the conversation, not just what Player B says.
  • Being able to turn a radio on, drop it on the ground, and any broadcast the radio picks up on the channel its set to can be heard by anyone near that radio.

For me, those two aspects are essential for radios in DayZ SA. Without them, we lose out on so many different gameplay possibilities.

Just to be clear, I'm not asking for those capabilities to be put in the game ASAP - it will happen when it happens. I'm just asking for some information on where things are with it, what differences there are with the new code vs the old, what challenges the devs have run into and overcome, and what still remains to be done. 

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

What's with all the fog in stress test?

Are we testing console optimization? :P

Buried stashes, yes please; or any persistent storage.  I really wanna see how resource aggregation impacts the  CLE, and how effective one can be at looting for a few of everything over a few hours of play.  

How are we supposed to properly stress test these builds without dumping an ungodly amount of useless crap in one place?

• Beans 3

@Baty Alquawen Just a small opinion on the compass in that gif is it possible if you can suggest to stabilize the hand/arm so it does not swing so much? Would be really nice to be able to read clearly it :)

So just to clear things up... all of this content will be in next stress test build?! If this is true... damn I'm really excited.

1 hour ago, Arthur Dubrovka said:

So just to clear things up... all of this content will be in next stress test build?! If this is true... damn I'm really excited.

It can be read like that, although I have a feeling there might be one more stability update before that. The current stress test build still has some Battleye issues (although to be fair that could be on Battleye's end, kick sprees only happen on some servers), but the queue seems to work now and I've only had one crash in maybe ten hours playtime total. There's also a very annoying inventory bug in it where magazines get stuck in weapons and renders them useless, I hope that gets fixed sooner rather than later.

Hell Yeah ! :)

Thanks for the report.

Will-Ferrell-Happy-Excited.gif

• Like 1

i have a request!!
Someone should edit spiderman onto the jumping on roofs gif. Pls

• Beans 1

16 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

What's with all the fog in stress test?

Are we testing console optimization? :P

To be honest, I think that overall there is too much fog. I don't mind it in general and it can even create some beautiful scenery, but the fog just happens too much. I rarely see rain for example.

Since we did not get any new stress test with stability fixes so far this week, I think that the next stress test will be the content patch. Especially since they mentioned that the patch will contain numerous stability improvements.

Edited by amadieus
  • Beans 2

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎04 at 11:55 AM, amadieus said:

To be honest, I think that overall there is too much fog. I don't mind it in general and it can even create some beautiful scenery, but the fog just happens too much.

You gotta admit that having a thick, rolling fog move in from the harbor of Cherno and spread into the city for an hour or so is pretty epic. This was one of my most immersive and tense play sessions in all my time on the servers.

Fog belongs on the coast...in the mornings...and up along the valley towns throughout the center of the map...it just NEEDS to! :-) It allows for a completely different style of play and can convince a lot of survivors, (who normally stay clear of the big cities due to PVP and Infected) to head into the soup and at least have an even chance of getting out alive.

Fog needs to behave, though...so lets all keep an eye on it and make sure the devs know when to iterate it reasonably...but again...it is such a useful element to add immersion, fear, cold, disorientation, and dread...all of which contribute to the atmosphere the team have envisioned as their ideal setting.

1 hour ago, philbur said:

Fog needs to behave, though

There is a default layer of fog on everything at a distance no matter where you are on the map. This was never the case before. That is what my post about fog was supposed to point out initially.

It looks similar to the way old console shooters used fog to save processing power.

The fog that actually appears in the more immediate environment is fine but I don't want my sight distance scaled down artificially.

• Beans 7

On 7/3/2018 at 11:22 AM, Baty Alquawen said:

Check out Alessandro on iTunes or SoundCloud, and look for him on Chernarus

This is all fine and dandy but I did not see any NIN posters in Chernarus last I checked.

This should be a priority devs!!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 6:14 PM, smofi said:

i have a request!!
Someone should edit spiderman onto the jumping on roofs gif. Pls

its not perfect but its something. 

Friendly Chernarus spiderman.
https://imgur.com/l8CNljC

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎05 at 7:22 PM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

The fog that actually appears in the more immediate environment is fine but I don't want my sight distance scaled down artificially.

Copy that. Localized fog is what I am keen to see. The fog out at full draw distance is hopefully something that can be set on the servers.

• Beans 1

Dear Dev,

first of all, have a good holidays and thanks for the status report. We have to expect a new report at the end of the month or directly on August? :)

In any case, you are doing an amazing work, and this 0.63 are something very special we didn't see from many years on Dayz!

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

4 hours ago, jostino said:

Dear Dev,

first of all, have a good holidays and thanks for the status report. We have to expect a new report at the end of the month or directly on August? :)

In any case, you are doing an amazing work, and this 0.63 are something very special we didn't see from many years on Dayz!

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Already back in the office, next report will be on July 17th. :)

• Like 2
  • Beans 1