Sign in to follow this  
Saylor Twift

Spawn less food, allows us to go longer without food.

Many people are complaining about little canned food spawning on the map but that's a good thing cause that's how it's supposed to be. Canned food or water should be rare. Instead fix the hunger and thirst system and allow us to go for much longer periods of time without food or water. If food or water is rare then it can become a trading currency. No one ever gave a shit about food or water as a trading currency because it was so common and easy to get.

items like canned food, cereal, bottled water etc should be VERY rare. Getting food through crafting and survival-mechanics should be encouraged. Hunger and thirst should be fixed so that we can go much longer without food or water

Edited by Saylor Twift
  • Beans 5

A vision of D.Hall and B.Hicks was, "You'll be so happy to find a can to eat". This way the devs start to shape. But until that happens, it takes some time to get all the mechanics into the game, so that this experience also gives you an experience.

• Beans 1

6 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

A vision of D.Hall and B.Hicks was, "You'll be so happy to find a can to eat". This way the devs start to shape. But until that happens, it takes some time to get all the mechanics into the game, so that this experience also gives you an experience.

I don't see how that is a compelling mechanic. All having food that rare will do is force players to constantly loot.

You'll always be able to find food.  It respawns all over the east coast and carries rags.  Occasionally, it carries additional loot with them.

1 hour ago, w1lg5r said:

I don't see how that is a compelling mechanic. All having food that rare will do is force players to constantly loot.

(and fish, grow edibles, search for apples, hunt) For a long trip to find for instance military stuff you would have to prepare, make sure you assemble enough food for the trip. In short, all Dayz intended you to do, being a survival game.

Edited by nl
  • Beans 3

On 6/30/2018 at 6:23 PM, nl said:

(and fish, grow edibles, search for apples, hunt) For a long trip to find for instance military stuff you would have to prepare, make sure you assemble enough food for the trip. In short, all Dayz intended you to do, being a survival game.

The reality of that means you'd be spending the majority of your time searching for food, it wont make it challenging to survive since none of that is difficult, just boring. The real survival element of Dayz should and always did come from player encounters and if people are spending all their time looting, they'll encounter players less. It would also mean that it would take far longer for players to get across to other areas of the map resulting in a system where most of the server doesn't really move far from the coast.

Edited by w1lg5r

25 minutes ago, w1lg5r said:

The real survival element of Dayz should and always did come from player encounters 

That is one survival element, but noway near the only one, nor should it be. I play against the game more than anything, while I appreciate other players existing in it as a very random and unpredictable danger. If there were no other players the game would lack that crucial fear-of-death element, but actively seeking out other players just to fight for fighting's sake goes against my goal with the game - which is to survive no matter what. Looking for trouble just risks getting me killed, so I avoid other players if I can. If I can't get out of a situation without confrontation I make damn sure to hold the upper hand, even if that means murdering a guy that could be perfectly friendly and harmless. One thing I've learned is to never trust anyone...

On topic though - I think there should be enough lootable food around to survive on without needing to grow and/or hunt your food. However, cooking has to be evolved a bit so actually cooking a proper meal (e.g. combining potatoes, vegetables and meat) would provide several times more energy than merely downing a can of beans. The time invested into first gathering everything needed and then cooking has to be rewarded. If the cooked meat is no better than a can of sardines why the fudge should I waste time on cooking?

Say a nice English breakfast on beans (heated!), bacon and eggs would provide four times as much energy as just eating the ingredients on their own, that would make it worth the trouble.

Edited by Beavis3D
Staying on topic
  • Beans 2

1 hour ago, Beavis3D said:

That is one survival element, but noway near the only one, nor should it be. I play against the game more than anything, while I appreciate other players existing in it as a very random and unpredictable danger. If there were no other players the game would lack that crucial fear-of-death element, but actively seeking out other players just to fight for fighting's sake goes against my goal with the game - which is to survive no matter what. Looking for trouble just risks getting me killed, so I avoid other players if I can. If I can't get out of a situation without confrontation I make damn sure to hold the upper hand, even if that means murdering a guy that could be perfectly friendly and harmless. One thing I've learned is to never trust anyone...

Yeah it shouldn't be the only one, but apart from zombies, surviving the other elements will never really require much skill. I pretty much agree with the rest of that paragraph in the sense that you explain exactly what's so compelling about DayZ, I just think at the moment those encounters don't happen as frequently as they should and the game plays at too slow a pace. I think that making food more rare will simply slow the game down rather than make DayZ a more hardcore experience. I like the cooking idea a lot, I think it could be a good incentive for players to play the endgame with making bases and such rather than heading to the coast to KoS.

2 hours ago, w1lg5r said:

Yeah it shouldn't be the only one, but apart from zombies, surviving the other elements will never really require much skill

Most things are easy once you have learned how to do them. Don't forget the wolves, in the past few months I died more often because of wolves than players. Not sure yet about the future but I have heard talk about bears, also talk about roaming hordes of infected. Who knows, maybe they even develop a Sasquatch with an extremely low chance of spawning but capable of high speed and great strength ;) You'll know you have killed a badass when you find Sasquatch steaks in his backpack...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 3

Surely it becomes rare as the server gets looted out, and I don't understand the pursuit of you to have so little loot, it just makes whole thing too time consuming, simple as that.

However, I strongly agree that whole damage/nutrition system is like accelerated at the moment, I would agree that there should be longer spans. Hopefully it'll get balanced in future.

I still believe in DayZ where main thing is interactions with other players and unique experiences, instead of frantic running from house to house.

I think we all pretty much are talking out our collective asses because the features and balance aren't in. It's impossible to judge the direction of the game when so much is still left to be implemented.

Then of course there's modding. Which will bring you the version you want whether you like vanilla or not.

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, nl said:

Most things are easy once you have learned how to do them. Don't forget the wolves, in the past few months I died more often because of wolves than players. Not sure yet about the future but I have heard talk about bears, also talk about roaming hordes of infected. Who knows, maybe they even develop a Sasquatch with an extremely low chance of spawning but capable of high speed and great strength ;) You'll know you have killed a badass when you find Sasquatch steaks in his backpack...

Yeah I like the idea of wildlife being a threat, I was referring to mechanics like thirst and hunger though.

I’m with you I’ve seen reports that a person could live 35 to 40 days without food and 3 to 4 without water.  I feel that thirst feels about right in the game considering the activity I’m doing, but having to stop every few minutes to shovel food into my mouth breaks my immersion.  Plus if they really want realism make it to where malnutrition gradually bring you to death but if you are currently in a surplus you should be able to store the extra calories as fat.

4 hours ago, SpartTacos said:

I’m with you I’ve seen reports that a person could live 35 to 40 days without food and 3 to 4 without water.  I feel that thirst feels about right in the game considering the activity I’m doing, but having to stop every few minutes to shovel food into my mouth breaks my immersion.  Plus if they really want realism make it to where malnutrition gradually bring you to death but if you are currently in a surplus you should be able to store the extra calories as fat.

One will affect the other. Eat without food for 30-40 days, and a bone fracture will take 6-7 weeks to heal? Do you really want that balance? Because who says A must also say B.

(Have you ever had enough to drink at a well? This will take a long time, because a "take a sip" is only little water. But then you will not be thirsty for a long time ... the same applies to hunger, because the white symbol stands for "comfortzone" and not for much and enough, green and light green of water and hunger can no longer be seen, but they still exist, just not visible as color anymore.)

• Beans 1

Coming directly from 0.62 the food distribution increased a lot in the beta. IMO it's a bit too much (while I really had a hard, hard time in 0.62 finding something eatable). It's not easy to balance this I think, but I'd decrease at least the spawning of cans a little tiny bit.

On 7/2/2018 at 2:40 PM, w1lg5r said:

if people are spending all their time looting, they'll encounter players less.

I think the opposite is true, obviously.

If I go through a village I can tell who's been there by what's gone and what's been dropped (you get the feeling for it).; and I know they were there only a short time ago.. reasonable chance they are at the other end of the village right now .. and where there is one player there will be another, drawn to the same stuff. They are in front of me and/or behind me (or waiting for a casual player to run in).  Looting the obvious village houses is always a stress moment, searching abandoned cars makes you an easy target, drinking and filling up your canteen at a pump you need to be seriously alert - all this is about looting and other players. Where else would you meet them?
So hey, after getting watered, go hunting, don't go for PvP at a military base.

if you want PvP there are plenty of games that are only "military base style" PvP  -  if you want chance encounters, then DayZ is the game. Surviving = looting and hunting (and farming) = that's HOW chance encounters happen. Not from anything else. That's where you get the stress and the kicks.

7 hours ago, SpartTacos said:

I’ve seen reports that a person could live 35 to 40 days without food

1)  A month without food is really pushing it, dude (don't try this at home kidz)  - five days with no food and you'll have difficulty toting your military backpack and your weapons.

2)  Break a leg and see if you can run a month later carrying that same gear.

Edited by pilgrim*

I heavily agree. At the beginning, the game is a chore. You have to constantly loot, scavenge under trees, and find wells to stay alive. I had a friend already quit after an hour and refund because he starved/dehydrated 3 times in the hour. Happened to me too a few days ago now that I've returned after the beta update. Too many people complain it's too easy to survive, and I agree, but not because food is so common, but because one survival mechanic alone isn't going to make a survival game. We need a few hours before we begin to starve so we can properly try to fish, hunt, or scavenge farm fields or orchards. Starving before 20 minutes have gone by while looting a mostly empty town isn't fun. 

Now that I have a backpack full of food and supplies, It's not hard to scoop up water and boil it or take down an animal or chicken and cook. It's just tedious work.

19 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

One will affect the other. Eat without food for 30-40 days, and a bone fracture will take 6-7 weeks to heal? Do you really want that balance? Because who says A must also say B.

(Have you ever had enough to drink at a well? This will take a long time, because a "take a sip" is only little water. But then you will not be thirsty for a long time ... the same applies to hunger, because the white symbol stands for "comfortzone" and not for much and enough, green and light green of water and hunger can no longer be seen, but they still exist, just not visible as color anymore.)

I’m not saying it needs to be 1 to 1 but I shouldn’t haven’t to eat 20 cans of spaghetti in a game day.  I’m just kind of sick of having to deal with a boring and tedious mechanic that people justify because it’s “realistic” when it’s not actually realistic.  And I say bring on the 6-7 weeks to heal bones if we’re going to put these mechanics in the game might as well go all the way with it and make it interesting.  

Have you ever tried to survive a cholera in version 0.62? Who, yes you know, that one is there about 5-6 hours only on the fight, with the survival. And that's a long, annoying time.