RobCoxxy

Item/weapon suggestions

Hi guys, been playing a few other games and just had a few suggestions for improvised/crafted tools and weapons that could appear in DayZ.

MOLOTOVS
Obviously a gaming staple - can definitely have it's uses for PVE or PVP.
Glass Bottle (Vodka, Devs? Da!) + Gas + Rag. Needs matches, or lighter in inventory to use.

DYNAMITE
With the mines and quarries around the northern end of the map, surely some old blasting dynamite remain in those locations, as a non-military alternative to blowing shit up.
With the addition of the cabling system for hooking up power, surely something similar could work for detonators if you want an old-timey, plunger-based explosive trap.

DYNAMITE BUNDLES
Is one explosive not enough for you, you madman?
Attach three or five sticks together with Duct Tape for extra kabooms or the biggest kabooms.

Does anyone else have any suggestions, especially going off locations in the game that could have more reason to visit? Let me know below!

Personally, I still miss the remote explosives from the Mod Days. Those were dirty.

Edited by RobCoxxy
  • Beans 4

Good suggestions. I believe glass bottles have already been spotted by dataminers in old 0.62 so I have a feeling we'll get Molotovs sooner or later. As for dynamite it should really be a thing as described, I'd love that!

In general I'm hoping for a greater variety in looted foodstuffs. We need chocolate, potato crisps, peanuts, beef jerkey, pasta, dried salami, ketchup... And what about beer, wine, vodka and whisky? And coffee! (Okay, hot chocolate and tea too..) And military rations!

Also hoping for cooking to be developed further, say that we can use potatoes, meat, vegetables, lard and water to make a proper dish - could provide three or four times as much energy as just eating  the stuff dry. And maybe we could milk those cows? Eggs from chicken roosts? Smoke pork from pigs for bacon? Just imagine bacon, eggs and beans - a proper breakfast that should bring your character through 4 hours of gameplay without getting hungry ;-).

Really, since it is so time consuming to find and prepare all the stuff you need to do cooking, the food that you make needs to actually be worth the time invested. Otherwise the feature will only be used by roleplayers, the rest will just scavenge for tactical bacon...

Edit: On the Steam forums I suggested some more weapons that would make sense in DayZ:

• FN SCAR - I'm a bit surprised this one isn't in the game already since it is issued to some US SOCOM forces by now. Maybe it's just too new? Would be awesome if implemented with conversion kit to switch caliber as in RL.
  • Heckler & Koch G36 - As with the FN SCAR it should already be in. It's a bit odd the FAL is in the game but not the G36. Very common assault rifle now, in use in Czech Republic, Poland and many other countries so it would fit in Chernarus.
  • Tar-21 - Modern, reliable Israeli assault rifle that is becoming widely used, including in Ukraine where it is chambered for 5.45. To me it would make more sense to find this than the Steyr AUG for example.
  • FN F2000 - Just because it looks more like something from a SF film than a real weapon. In use with special forces units in some eastern European countries so it wouldn't be out of place.
Edited by Beavis3D
  • Beans 2

Oh, man, I'm with you on food variety - and absolutely on the cooking. We can heat water, but we eat rice dry? Yikes. Would love to see the adding meat, rice, etc into a pot creating a more substantial "meal" - filling you better, and for longer.

And I'll throw in the L85/L86 from British Armed Forces on top of those weapons you suggested. Chances are if the US had a presence in Chernarus, the Brits would have been dragged along there too, in some capacity. Fits all the usual M4 additions, bar its unique RIS Rail.

• Beans 1

7 hours ago, Beavis3D said:

Edit: On the Steam forums I suggested some more weapons that would make sense in DayZ:

• FN SCAR - I'm a bit surprised this one isn't in the game already since it is issued to some US SOCOM forces by now. Maybe it's just too new? Would be awesome if implemented with conversion kit to switch caliber as in RL.
  • Heckler & Koch G36 - As with the FN SCAR it should already be in. It's a bit odd the FAL is in the game but not the G36. Very common assault rifle now, in use in Czech Republic, Poland and many other countries so it would fit in Chernarus.
  • Tar-21 - Modern, reliable Israeli assault rifle that is becoming widely used, including in Ukraine where it is chambered for 5.45. To me it would make more sense to find this than the Steyr AUG for example.
  • FN F2000 - Just because it looks more like something from a SF film than a real weapon. In use with special forces units in some eastern European countries so it wouldn't be out of place.

I would guess there are more percussion guns in central europe than all the guns you listed altogether :) Therefore i vote for percussion guns and muzzleloaders!

True survivalists might even be able to make their own gunpowder... and improvised muzzleloader from old plumping pipe. Oh that would be cool.

Edited by Blafirelli
  • Beans 2

21 hours ago, Blafirelli said:

improvised muzzleloader from old plumping pipe

yeah, let us know how that works out for you...

40 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

It is certainly not completely clean and I apologize for sharing this "black matter". The idea and implementation to the video, however, is good.

• Beans 1

17 hours ago, emuthreat said:

I mean....  a blackpowder gun made from waterpipe is a hell of a lot more plausible than making a modern smokeless-cartridge-shooting firearm from waterpipe, which is a suggestion I have seen before on these forums. Blackpowder generates much lower pressures, for one, so the chances of your musket turning into a pipe=bomb are..... lesser than they would if you tried to use smokeless powder cartridges. 

20 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Been there, done that, worked pretty ok :)

4 minutes ago, Blafirelli said:

Been there, done that, worked pretty ok :)

To each his own.  I too was smart enough to do dumb things when I was younger, and still have all my fingers.  As far as using an OLD plumbing pipe, I guess I'll leave that to the experts....

3 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

I mean....  a blackpowder gun made from waterpipe is a hell of a lot more plausible than making a modern smokeless-cartridge-shooting firearm from waterpipe, which is a suggestion I have seen before on these forums. Blackpowder generates much lower pressures, for one, so the chances of your musket turning into a pipe=bomb are..... lesser than they would if you tried to use smokeless powder cartridges. 

I would rather just make a pipe bomb with the same materials, rather than try to guess when the improvised musket would decide that it wants to be one.  Maybe modify the stock into an atlatl. Seems like it would be both safer and more effective than a crappy gun/handheld maybe bomb.

If you've ever seen a fireworks malfunction, you would take seriously the warnings not to hold them in hand. Back when I was in high school I saw a smoke bomb explode, just like the one my brother had been carrying around the street a few minutes ago, came out of the same package even.
That thing exploded with the force of at least a half-dozen modified petes, easily more than any of the "big ass firecrackers" that are fun for launching buckets into the sky, and certainly enough to seriously fuck-up--if not completely remove--all digits from the hand foolish enough to be holding the thing.
I cringe every time I see roman candle fights.  I mean, at least use an oven mitt, or preferably welding gauntlets. 

With steel pipes having pressure ratings of less than 30% of the pressures generated by black powder, I would be more comfortable believing with certainty that it was a bomb, rather than crossing my fingers that it wouldn't be.
Even the students occupying the university in Nicaragua right now are less than trusting of improvised firearms; opting for handheld improvised mortars instead of instead of trying to make something that fires shot.

• Beans 1

Any sort of improvised explosive device should definitely also be an option! There are many ways we could have fun with gunpowder.

• Beans 1

18 minutes ago, Blafirelli said:

Any sort of improvised explosive device should definitely also be an option! There are many ways we could have fun with gunpowder.

Oh yes