benedictus

Stamina and energy levels?

Is there any correlation between stamina and say hydration level for example? Because I haven't seen any noticeable effects.

If not, there should be.

Players should be rewarded for keeping all the meters (blood,water etc.) maxed out or close with more stamina or stamina regen. This would make carrying supplies with meaningful for everyone, even for the evil KoS bandits. You would also have to think about what kind of food you carry as they have different weights. 

Also when diseases and negative status effects come to play, they should also affect stamina / stamina regen, negatively, accordingly.

For me the stamina system at the moment is a bit too rough and sucks out a lot of the fun from otherwise a great idea.

Edited by benedictus
  • Like 1

Not sure what you mean but the difference in movement speed does affect your energy and hydration consumption.

I agree. there should be a significant stamina boost for a player who is in good health, energized, and hydrated.  Perhaps even a stamina penalty for being stuffed would be appropriate.

• Haha 1

On 28.6.2018 at 6:12 PM, IMT said:

Not sure what you mean but the difference in movement speed does affect your energy and hydration consumption.

Yes movement speed affects energy levels but not the otherway around. That would be great incentive for players to keep their energy levels etc. maxed out and avoid diseases.

• Beans 3

personally i would rather see a penalty for players who have low health/food/hydration.  i think the stamina as they have it is pretty well balanced as you can sprint for quite a distance.  i feel it is a great way to make people think about how they use stamina instead of just sprinting to nwaf.  they need to save a little stamina for fighting and take time crossing the map.  im a big fan of the stamina system

• Beans 1

I've gotten used to the stamina system, but I still think it could use a little boost to the maximum under certain conditions.

What I'd like to see, is the initial spawn conditions having perhaps 25% more stamina; up to 50% more once energized hydrated and healthy.  Adding to that, have some benefit to cardio training that would allow players to improve max stamina to the point that a fully healthy player with as much gear as they could carry would have the same stamina that one starts out with.  That way, geared players who survived long enough could outrun bambis without having to drop their backpack, rifle, or vest.  Maybe make it so that for every 10 km traveled, the max stamina increases by 10%, up to 200% of starting value for an unladen player with full stats.  Long-lived geared players would be on equal footing, but also be more suited to outrun bambis, infected, and wolves.

IMHO, the stamina system is a great way to reward long term survival and covering ground.  Players that spend the time trucking around the map on foot will have a bit of a reward for not camping a town with a bag of canned food and a sniper rifle; which would encourage movement and increase interaction.
And players who are part of a clan with cars and a camp will have to put in the legwork if they want to beat a wandering scavenger back to their car without having to drop their loot to run faster.

Anything that gives an incentive to survive longer make the game more interesting to play, and more punishing when killed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 2

On 6/28/2018 at 8:40 PM, emuthreat said:

I agree. there should be a significant stamina boost for a player who is in good health, energized, and hydrated.  Perhaps even a stamina penalty for being stuffed would be appropriate.

we already had those remember? 3rd party apps? heheh

• Confused 1

On 2018-07-11 at 3:28 AM, emuthreat said:

I've gotten used to the stamina system, but I still think it could use a little boost to the maximum under certain conditions.

What I'd like to see, is the initial spawn conditions having perhaps 25% more stamina; up to 50% more once energized hydrated and healthy.  Adding to that, have some benefit to cardio training that would allow players to improve max stamina to the point that a fully healthy player with as much gear as they could carry would have the same stamina that one starts out with.  That way, geared players who survived long enough could outrun bambis without having to drop their backpack, rifle, or vest.  Maybe make it so that for every 10 km traveled, the max stamina increases by 10%, up to 200% of starting value for an unladen player with full stats.  Long-lived geared players would be on equal footing, but also be more suited to outrun bambis, infected, and wolves.

IMHO, the stamina system is a great way to reward long term survival and covering ground.  Players that spend the time trucking around the map on foot will have a bit of a reward for not camping a town with a bag of canned food and a sniper rifle; which would encourage movement and increase interaction.
And players who are part of a clan with cars and a camp will have to put in the legwork if they want to beat a wandering scavenger back to their car without having to drop their loot to run faster.

Anything that gives an incentive to survive longer make the game more interesting to play, and more punishing when killed.

This is EXACTLY how I want stamina and soft skills to work. I really hope what they are planning is something like this.

• Like 1

Good points, all.

But I happened to fire up FarCry2 the other night for some fun and I was immediately aware that having NO indication of your stamina level was really refreshing and added a level of realism that really was noticeable....

Thinking about the emerging UI with the standalone I am just realizing how annoying this might become as I find myself playing "follow the bouncing arrows" with the status icons...and how I constantly follow the drop and regen of the stamina bar...

It is a game within the game and I wonder, seriously, if just returning to Green, Yellow, Red Status icons and removing the stamina bar completely would enhance the in-game experience….

Turning the UI off is really not what I was thinking, because the status icons do need to be there IMO, but the arrows just seem to be too intrusive and not really necessary as a mechanic for us. Not knowing the reserve of stamina you have brings you deeper into the game during times of fight/flight and encourages you to stay alert and gives you something else to consider (without a graphic representation staring you in the face).

So...maybe the opportunity to select the status icon type and behavior in the game settings? I would personally like to see smaller versions of the current icons and have them vary between the three colors depending on their states...and as for stamina...leave it off the screen and only display it in your character inventory screen.

Just my opinions, and hopefully ones that resonate with enough of you that the devs carefully consider the final versions.

• Beans 2

Give a speed boost to those who are max energized and hydrated , give a penalty to those who are being gutterlings eating like crap and not staying hydrated - sounds good to me .

I'm trying to be patient, but I'm really hoping the new status icons and meters go to the inventory screen, and can be opened and closed like clothing and equipment for neatness.  Seems like there is still a long ways to go.  Really hope they reconsider soft skills too.

• Beans 1

13 hours ago, emuthreat said:

I'm trying to be patient, but I'm really hoping the new status icons and meters go to the inventory screen, and can be opened and closed like clothing and equipment for neatness.  Seems like there is still a long ways to go.  Really hope they reconsider soft skills too.

You can already set that in the options I believe but I agree, I don't want to see any indicators upon vanilla release.  I hope the easy mode is going to be an option for the special snowflakes Like Blackberrygoo, Solopopo and Parazight

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, emuthreat said:

You can customize the interface by holding or tapping the tilde. Personally, I think it’s a great design being able to hide or display indicators on the fly. 

Talking about indicators any idea if the stamina bar is going to stay as the way it is? All the other indicators we have are quite vague in terms of information. Stamina bar gives a visually calculable information. It isn't necessarily a bad thing just thinking in the lines of the game in general.

ot: I like telling my self that coffee is going to be in game. Boosting stamina 1% for 30mins or whatever and bringing you body heat up. Good times.

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎10 at 11:52 AM, FunkInYourTrunk said:

im a big fan of the stamina system

Yup..Dont get me wrong...I think they are pretty close to getting the stamina sorted out... I like the time it takes to lose it, based on your load and your physical condition...and I imagine this will be better utilized when the other status dependencies get implemented, but that damn "bar" just keeps burning a hole in my immersion...along with those bouncy arrows!

If and when we can choose which UI elements we can have displayed, and maybe have a couple options for the icons, I will be happy again. I know there is always the option to go with NO UI, but I am hoping for just a wee bit more choice.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

1 hour ago, philbur said:

Yup..Dont get me wrong...I think they are pretty close to getting the stamina sorted out... I like the time it takes to lose it, based on your load and your physical condition...and I imagine this will be better utilized when the other status dependencies get implemented, but that damn "bar" just keeps burning a hole in my immersion...along with those bouncy arrows!

If and when we can choose which UI elements we can have displayed, and maybe have a couple options for the icons, I will be happy again. I know there is always the option to go with NO UI, but I am hoping for just a wee bit more choice.

i would agree with you there.  though some of the status indicators that have been added i dont mind, the stamina bar could be done without.  im hoping that it being there is a place holder till they get all the different breathing sounds to where they want them as we need some kind of indicator that we are runnin on fumes

On 7/15/2018 at 10:49 AM, Guy Smiley said:

You can already set that in the options I believe but I agree, I don't want to see any indicators upon vanilla release.  I hope the easy mode is going to be an option for the special snowflakes Like Blackberrygoo, Solopopo and Parazight

On 7/15/2018 at 11:21 AM, Parazight said:

You can customize the interface by holding or tapping the tilde. Personally, I think it’s a great design being able to hide or display indicators on the fly. 

What can be done besides toggling them off?  I'd prefer to only see status indicators while in inventory, because to me, it always feels like the self-aware pause time anyways; where the player briefly focuses on oneself instead of the environment.

Honestly, I just miss the colored bars.  It was minimalist, concise, unobtrusive.  They could have just removed the text spam, and left the color scaled bars, and It would have been great.

• Like 1

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎16 at 11:57 PM, emuthreat said:

Honestly, I just miss the colored bars.  It was minimalist, concise, unobtrusive.  They could have just removed the text spam, and left the color scaled bars, and It would have been great.

Pow!

Drop the MIke!

Walk Away....

No hud.  Just visual and audio cues.  The stamina and energy levels are step in the right direction along with the weight system.  A little more tweaking but it's damn near where it should be.