SecondSurvivor

What I Think Players Really Want

Dayz is going through many changes. The devs are active but I feel that the direction is not the one that will attract new players and bring back ones that have put it down out of irritation (like me). My issues with the game are pretty simple. The ones that the devs are working on which is instability, buggy, and broken gameplay riddled with hackers is great. However my biggest issue is that there are no damn vehicles! I dont mean literally none, but i mean that they are insanely rare and require massive amounts of time to get road ready if its damaged or missing parts. I don't have 40 hours to search for a broken vehicle. I think alot of players would rather have more vehicles and more types of vehicles first (aircraft dammit!) then beards, gestures, skill trees etc. Those things are great, I just think they should be implemented later. Dayz is a grind. And it should be a grind. But it shouldnt be this grindy. Why are vehicles so important to me? Let me put it this way. You jump into a server and what do you do? run to the nearest town and start looting. Most of the time the loot is pretty bad though its better in the cities but not by very much. Alot of the loot down south is pretty garbage because most of the time its been looted. So the next obvious course of action is to make a plan to head up north after you spent X number of hours messing around near the coast. You spend another X number of hours running, running, running, oh look a pistol, running, running. You finally arrive and manage to find some pretty decent stuff. You spend more time running, running, running to another town. OMG a car! **** missing a part, or out of gas w/e. Now you have to fix it. At this point youre lucky youve made it this far without getting shot in the back of the head by a hacker or a camper who's been waiting for 3 hours to dome someone, especially if the server is populated. By some crazy stroke of luck you might fix your vehicle, but most of the time you spend alot of time looking for parts, get irritated and log off, or you get killed. Essentially in my opinion the game is run,loot,camp,die. The dayz arma 2 mod was great. You can feasibly find a vehicle, drive around with your friends, engage in firefights, build a hideout and return to the game the next day. It didnt take 20 hours to do it. And it was FUN. Dayz now is just a HUGE grind with nothing to really look forward to. You can't even chat in game, and you just spend a massive amount of time running and dying. Im not saying the game is **** by any means. But youre alienating players and potential players who just don't have the insane amount of time to dedicate to the game.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Give it time - although I dont think aircraft of any sort will ever be easy to find and repair - cept in a modded version

• Beans 3

Players really want a sturdy ladder.

To climb over massive walls of text.

• Haha 2
  • Beans 1

8 minutes ago, deewd23 said:

I hope they´ll add in bicycles soon.

They will add dirt bike and bicycles and many other...

1 hour ago, BillyChic said:

They will add dirt bike and bicycles and many other...

I don't think they will add dirt bikes and bicycles, i heard them  say so on stream.

1 hour ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

I don't think they will add dirt bikes and bicycles, i heard them  say so on stream.

I read it on the DayZ website check out here https://www.dayz.com/dev-hub its write dirtbike IN PROGRESS

19 minutes ago, BillyChic said:

I read it on the DayZ website check out here https://www.dayz.com/dev-hub its write dirtbike IN PROGRESS

They said recently that bikes and planes are pushed to post-1.0.

https://www.dayz.com/blog/dayz-feature-content-goals

"When it comes to aerial transport, we do want to have helicopters in before 1.0, but making planes accessible would mean a lot of extra time in development, slowing down what everybody wants the most, and that is to play DayZ BETA. Planes will be making their way into DayZ, but not with BETA/1.0.

Then, everybody's favourite: bikes and motorbikes. We've said that before, but sadly, as weird as it may sound to a person not involved in game dev, creating single track vehicles properly takes a massive amount of animation and programming work that we want to invest into other parts of the game for BETA - such as achieving overall polish of features like the character movement, double track vehicles, or user actions."

There's actually a lot of content pushed down the road after the 1.0 release.

• Thanks 1

Please don't speak for me.  If I really wanted all those things you are saying that "we" want, then I'll just go play pubg.  You're going to very disappointed upon vanilla DayZ.  What "you" want will be from a mod.

• Confused 1
  • Beans 1

For me, DayZ needs vehicles and base building and this will come definetly during BETA.

Now DayZ is in a very good shape, but for me after 1600 hours of DayZ experience I just want more goals, instead of always looting killing and dying.

DayZ needs MORE GOALS, very important.

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, Raptor97 said:

Now DayZ is in a very good shape, but for me after 1600 hours of DayZ experience I just want more goals, instead of always looting killing and dying.

Change your playstyle?

2 hours ago, Raptor97 said:

DayZ needs MORE GOALS, very important.

The goal is to stay alive as long as possible.  DayZ at it's core is about survival.  How you choose to do that is all on you.  Mods will bring objective goals which seems to be important for some reason.

I do not need any vehicles. I played for 3 hours on the experimental server and I have been away from my usual way.
In ~ 2 hours (including 3 gunfights) I went from the coast to severograd, I had food, drink, good equipment and akm with clips and ammunition.

I can not understand crying ... and ask for simplifying things.

DayZ must have to provide a possibility to get most of the game for both categories of people - the fun people, who wants to have great fun in relatively little time. And for the "deep" ones who wants to be immersed by what they consider as immersive stuff (let it be running from house to house for three hours like now). Ideally you should be able to adjust your game pace by being in different areas of the map. Thankfully for this matter the map is huge, and if the design will be good in the final game, then each type of person, in any mood or so, will find the pace fitting to them. Except the moments when you would be getting on the edge - then it always should be fast pace. Actually it used to be like that in the past when you actually could have had rather quick pace in the coast, and slower paces inlands (IMO inlands with no vehicles, or barely any vehicles) is a waste of time to aim for.

Paragraphs. Use them and make everyone's life easier. Also, stop making assumptions about what others want or that it is the majority of players. 

Ah vehicles. For those folks who hate having to run a little bit and possibly have an unexpected encounter in an open field or on the road. Do not get me wrong. I find vehicles in Dayz to be good content IF they keep it to where you have to repair them and keep the number of them per server extremely low. Makes for good times with your group trying to find tires, spark plugs, car battery, windshields, etc. But they are far from needed to play the game and even a detriment in some ways.

The biggest complaint from those wanting vehicles is, "It takes soooooo long to get from point A to point B."  Well yea. Of course it does. The map is huge. But if you remove the travel time between places then what is the purpose of having weather/temperature affects in game? Or even hunger and thirst? Or sickness and the need for antibiotics and other medical supplies? By removing the travel time or shortening it greatly, you remove the influence those factors have on game play. This is a survival game after all. At its heart, the game is about learning to survive and finding the means to do so. Being able to travel from Zelenogorsk to Titsy in a couple of minutes eliminates so much of the content in the game. Not only the effects of inherent game mechanics I already mentioned. It also effectively removes the possibility of encounters with other players when you are least expecting them. It removes the tension of the unknown. It allows you to only engage with other players when you choose to do so.

OP specifically talks about time. Travel time versus amount of play time available. This is a personal problem. You knew Dayz took a lot of time once you started playing and probably even before you bought the game. If you want to be able to hop right into the action and shoot people and loot items seems like there are games out there better suited to your playstyle. PUBG is great for that playstyle. I'm not trying to be insulting. Just trying to point you in the direction of a game you might find more enjoyable. Personally, I like a little PUBG every once in awhile.

On 6/19/2018 at 1:09 AM, SecondSurvivor said:

The dayz arma 2 mod was great. You can feasibly find a vehicle, drive around with your friends, engage in firefights, build a hideout and return to the game the next day. It didnt take 20 hours to do it. 

This quote here is wrong. Sorry. You had to repair vehicles in the vanilla DayZ mod as well. It would takes hours to just find all the parts needed and jerry cans for gas. Same went for helicopters. ATVs and bikes weren't as bad. but they were easier to break do to driving mechanics. And finding tents wasn't easy either to build a "base". Most folks just used vehicles as storage instead and "hid" them in the debug zone outside the map.  And there was a very limited amount of vehicles per server. This link tells you the amount possible per server. https://dayz.gamepedia.com/Mod:Vehicles  Realise also that not all vehicles would spawn all the time. So the number of vehicles per server were actually quite less than is listed on that wiki page.  So no, you couldn't just get a vehicle in the Dayz mod and run around the map easily with your friends. The only time this was possible is if the server admins had changed the spawn rate of vehicles or you were playing a mod of the mod. But at that point you aren't playing the vanilla Dayz

17 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Change your playstyle?

The goal is to stay alive as long as possible.  DayZ at it's core is about survival.  How you choose to do that is all on you.  Mods will bring objective goals which seems to be important for some reason.

How I should change my playstyle? The only playstyle is SPAWN - LOOT - SURIVE - DIE

There is nothing left anymore, we need more content and most importantly vehicles and base building.

DayZ is my favorite game, but after 1600 hours I'm sick of playing with the same goals over and over again.

I'm happy that with 0.63 stable all these things will be implemented, so lets just wait :)

• Beans 1

Vehicles are a must for this game . Finding one vehicle and all the others are locked in bases ? Nah . Dayz needs to fix that old dayz mod issue before they implement aerial vehicles . Of course they shouldn’t be littered everywhere , but there should be no reason why they should be rare - they don’t ruin the experience at all , they in fact create a BETTER experience . 

Just make car / aerial repair a “hard to master” soft skill and voila , you have an easy balance of “should I waste my time to become a mechanic or let someone else do that ?” . If you don’t specialize in mechanic you should most likely never find a working vehicle that you can just take : the vehicles being damaged to begin with is the real challenge (or should be) NOT the scarcity of vehicles themselves . 

Dont repeat what the dayz mod did : I don’t want to have to break into bases just to destroy the massive car lots that the die hards will be collecting : give us enough vehicles to fight over but please for fucks sake Bohemia don’t make them super scarce like the vanilla mod ; it didn’t make them any more special and it was just glitchy and frustrating seeing them hidden all over the place in bases or off the map (basically any where but a natural spawn point cuz there was only like 8 vehicles and 2 helis per server).

• Like 1

I just want to be able to make a sandwich from scratch.  It would be nice to see a selection of different grains from which to make different breads.  This would of course require some sort of a mill, even if it is just a small stone and a large stone set on a piece of suitable cloth.  Cheesecloth (lets just call this damaged rags which have been boiled) and a water bottle can be used to harvest wild yeast, and with a little experimentation, one can confirm if they have cultured a suitable strain for bread; rejects can be used to brew alcohol to be consumed by the brave, or left to turn to vinegar.  This vinegar, in turn, can be used in the production of mayonnaise, along with oil, which can be made in a pot full of pulped corn or other suitable seeds (we need more usable biodiversity added to this game).  Cheese might be a bit tricky if they don't add young cows and goats to the game, but rennet can be made from nettles as well.  Mustard seeds shouldn't be too hard to find after one becomes familiar with the plants.  Now all we need are some top quality tomatoes and cucumbers (zucchini can go cry in the corner), and maybe some spinach or lettuce for texture.

I think you get the idea.  My ideal DayZ endgame would be running around chernarus checking the grocery stores and general stores for a meat slicer still in workable condition, and scouring the fields and hills for peppercorns to cure up some delicious meats.  Who knows, maybe I'll get a little bit freaky and start hanging buckets on nails driven into maple trees?  Make us up some of that fancy-ass bacon with our Canada juice. For all you trendy bitches out there, we have birch water too!

You see that guy out on the pier with those tarps covered in evaporating seawater?  He is my salt guy. Don't fuck with my salt guy, or there will be no christmas ham for you--or anybody else for that matter.  Would you really deprive an entire server of their hard-earned ham sandwiches?
Don't be that guy; you don't want to the that guy.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Related to the above: I want cooking. Not the bare-bones, half-assed cooking 'system' we have in the game as of now. 

I want to be able to make soups, from bones and water and meat and vegetables. I want to be able to dry meat and fruit and vegetables, so they last longer in a world without refridgeration. I want to be able to cook something that I would actually want to eat, instead of jamming chunks of meat and vegetables on a stick and holding it over a fire. I would love to see a nutritional system, where someone who eats a varied diet would be better off than some shlep stuffing their faces with canned food

Related to that: I would like to see a more in-depth agricultural system. I want to see different crops, to facilitate the aforementioned varied diet. Grains and vegetables and animals. With quite a bit of hard work, I want to be able to kick back in my fortress, granaries stuffed, while others shlep around looting for canned food.

The jabs at my long winded paragraphless rant was well taken lol. I totally forgot to space them. Also this is just my opinion. Don't get your panties in a wad if you disagree with me and think I'm trying to speak for you. I'm not saying all players want this, but a lot do.

I certainly don't want dayz to operate more like pubg or any other game. I am also not asking that everything should be handed to the player instantaneously by massively cutting down the time it takes to achieve certain things. I love a good grind, but I think it's a bit too grindy. 

Even without increasing vehicle spawns I would definitely get back in the game if it offered something beyond just spending massive amounts of time looting, dying, and killing players. Some folks here have some great ideas. Creating an incentive for players to work together. And I know the devs are working on them. A player has mastered a skill to refine salt which creates demand for that players services. Things like that get me excited to play. 

what  i really want is base building barricading doors and stuff we have it back in arma dayZ but in here i do not  feel accomplishment, satisfaction  or whatever you call it  knowing there's no safe and convenient  place i can stash my precious LOOT!!  LOOT!!