Sign in to follow this  
Zing Freelancer

Is this even a game at this point?

Dayz Standalone 0.63 is pathetic. Let attempt to explain why.

Wool coats and track suites everywhere. Why? Who in their right mind would pick a wool coat or track suite over their starting equipment? It's super frustrating to find those items in 5 out of 10 houses (then 4 out of 10 are empty). The loot economy is terrible, it is frustrating to walk from house to house and not find useful items. Even more frustrating to walk from house to house and find spawn points taken up by people switching their gear with what they've found. Most important item you can desire is water bottle and a backpack to store water bottle. Forget about making your own backpack out of burlap sack, finding rope is nearly impossible! Chances are, you will find a school or waterproof backpack before you find rope.

Hunger & thirst is super annoying. The moment you wake up, your thirst is already in yellow, run a little around and it will quickly get into red, at which point you begin losing health. The icon design and functionality is *insert bad language* terrible. It provides you no useful status update aside from "YOUR THIRST IS GOING DOWN RAPIDLY". Oh really? I *insert bad language* know it because I am *insert bad language* sprinting! I'd rather know how much I have left before I begin losing health then "thirst is dropping less rapidly". I cant believe I miss the old style text in the left corner status updates.

Stamina system is probably the worst offender. I understand why we need stamina system, but the way its done, just *insert bad language* kill me. You need stuff to survive, the more stuff you have, the better are your chances of survival. If you are planing a trip to the north, you better stack up on those water bottles boy. Or pop up a map in your web browser and plan a route that takes you through water sources. Looting is very punishing, I happened across a ballistic west and was like "yay", finally a useful item. Put it on and now I can't sprint anymore because it weights 14 *insert bad language* kilos, even more then my full backpack! 

Let me round this off by asking a simple question, where is the game play loop in Dayz? What is it even supposed to look like? Do you think that going from house to house is fun, that listening to your character wheeze as he/she is trying to catch breath is fun? Do you perhaps think wool coats and track suites are fashionable again? Do you think that occasional joust with zombies is fun while they flail wildly with their limbs? Do you perhaps like being alone for prolonged period of time because none of the players will attempt to interact with you unless it involves punching, stabbing or shooting? Do you really think that we need DayZ standalone anymore?

Edited by Zing Freelancer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There are 2 points in your criticism that YOU can solve yourself.

You are looking for a rope, but wonder about the extreme amount of useless wool coats. They are the key to your rope, make Rags out of them and make 2x6 a rope.

Thirsty, running needs a lot of water, so do not run until you're hydrated, and do not just drink until you know the "thirst level" on white, no drink at that point ... take 15-20 sips and you're full.

A vest makes no sense at this time, the mechanics are not yet introduced (and bring you nothing without a helmet, because most try to give a headshot. And as a small comparison: A tank is heavy and sluggish, a jeep is light and agile, the tank can withstand a hit well ... the jeep is wrecked).

Try to understand what experimental / stress testing means, then you will understand these problems better.

• Beans 3

To argument everything you said:

1. This is the first ever version on experimental. The devs focus on fixing the performance issues right now. Do you want hundreds of items and the servers to crash every minute? The items/loot economy will get better throughout the experimental version/stable.

2. Instead of looking for that "haaaard" to find rope you can cut the track suites and other clothes the people "in the right mind" wouldn't pick. You make bandages and with 12 bandages combined 6 with 6, you make the precious rope.

3. You have ponds near every spawn point or close enough so you don't die before getting to them. On top of that, this game has sodas and you find them quite easily.

4. In real life, tell me what other indicators regarding your thirst, hunger...etc you have. Oh sh*t, nothing, you just feel that you are getting tired/thirsty/hungry rapidly or slowly. Maybe you are living in 2080 and people there have the technology to indicate exactly their thirst level.

5. Don't tell me you go up North through the woods without stopping to the next town to find food or water to survive. If you do that then I worry the system has any problems. Also, you have wells in every single town.

6. A ballistic vest, not a Kevlar Vest or other civilian protection vests can weight up to 20 pounds. Like I said before, this is the first ever experimental version and they focus on the server's performance, tweaks will come along the way.

And to answer your incredible questions:

1. In DayZ you Loot, Shoot and then Die at a certain point in time and start again. On top of that you have incredible interactions, firefights, the feeling and fear of losing your teammate that you found 30 minutes ago but you feel like you know him for years. DayZ plays with your emotions throughout the gameplay and that's unique!

2. Don't you think that's what looting is? Do you want to get the items at your feet and not looking in every house for them?

3. Do you think in real life you don't get tired, you don't hear your heavy breathing? That's the most accurate script that could make you feel like when you're tired in real life. 

4. It's the "*insert bad language*" apocalypse and you wanna be fashion? Find a use for them, go make yourself a rope with them.

5. The new DayZ fighting system is based on skill, if you know HOW to fight...you will win. If you don't even know how to block a punch or a zombie attack you're dead and then you come back here crying about the script/system.

6. Players are there, you find interactions if you know how to get them. Try to put yourself in an apocalypse scenario with infected, how would you be? Losing your friends and family and being alone on an island.

7. Uninstall the game if you don't need it. DayZ will survive without your attitude better.

Edited by SouthUS
  • Beans 4

Where do all these people come from? It seems that the experimental release has brought the most uninformed people to this game again. I have read too many topics (Like this one) with the most stupid questions one could imagine. I mean it is "*insert bad language*" experimental. Did you actually think it would have been finished and done with this release? Sure there are enough things that need tweaking. The food/drink system is pretty fine, I can jog around for 1.5 hour without the need to drink or eat. And the stamina system is just fine, maybe some small tweaking but it is perfect in general.

Edited by amadieus
  • Like 1

I agree with Zing, I guess I don't have to repeat, I used to talk about same things for probably half a year....

Devs wants this game to be so, Zing. It is obvious now. The design of the gameplay, which is primarely shaped by loot economy, is just terrible, no one who respects his time will play this game. At least like it is now. It seems pretty good now overall (except the gameplay), still some stuff missing and needs to be fixed or so. The old bugged, terribly performing DayZ used to be just better experience, and thats it...

UNFORTUNATELY there are something like a 1K or so gamers, who somehow enjoys this type of "struggle", and it seems that the game is indeed designed for them LOL But what can we do, gotta be happy for them, forget it, keep it positive and move on.

2 hours ago, Zing Freelancer said:

Do you really think that we need DayZ standalone anymore?

You don't. You should add a signature: United Gamers Global President ... or something like that

• Beans 1

DayZ will never be a "game" by definition. There is no end and you cannot win.

It's a sandbox environment. It can only ever be what you make of it.

• Beans 1

Simple answer: It's still in experimental.

The current loot set and conditions are in place so that the devs can work out bugs and implement technology.  Most of the things being worked on right now are 'behind the scenes'.  It's not intended at all to provide an enjoyable experience.  Nothing has been balanced.   It doesn't represent what the final product will be AT ALL.

Try reading up a little before you complain.  The information is all there.  sheesh.

• Beans 2

9 hours ago, Zing Freelancer said:

Dayz Standalone 0.63 is pathetic. Let attempt to explain why.

Wool coats and track suites everywhere. Why? Who in their right mind would pick a wool coat or track suite over their starting equipment? It's super frustrating to find those items in 5 out of 10 houses (then 4 out of 10 are empty). The loot economy is terrible, it is frustrating to walk from house to house and not find useful items. Even more frustrating to walk from house to house and find spawn points taken up by people switching their gear with what they've found. Most important item you can desire is water bottle and a backpack to store water bottle. Forget about making your own backpack out of burlap sack, finding rope is nearly impossible! Chances are, you will find a school or waterproof backpack before you find rope.

Hunger & thirst is super annoying. The moment you wake up, your thirst is already in yellow, run a little around and it will quickly get into red, at which point you begin losing health. The icon design and functionality is *insert bad language* terrible. It provides you no useful status update aside from "YOUR THIRST IS GOING DOWN RAPIDLY". Oh really? I *insert bad language* know it because I am *insert bad language* sprinting! I'd rather know how much I have left before I begin losing health then "thirst is dropping less rapidly". I cant believe I miss the old style text in the left corner status updates.

Stamina system is probably the worst offender. I understand why we need stamina system, but the way its done, just *insert bad language* kill me. You need stuff to survive, the more stuff you have, the better are your chances of survival. If you are planing a trip to the north, you better stack up on those water bottles boy. Or pop up a map in your web browser and plan a route that takes you through water sources. Looting is very punishing, I happened across a ballistic west and was like "yay", finally a useful item. Put it on and now I can't sprint anymore because it weights 14 *insert bad language* kilos, even more then my full backpack! 

Let me round this off by asking a simple question, where is the game play loop in Dayz? What is it even supposed to look like? Do you think that going from house to house is fun, that listening to your character wheeze as he/she is trying to catch breath is fun. Do you perhaps think wool coats and track suites are fashionable again? Do you think that occasional joust with zombies is fun while they flail wildly with their limbs? Do you perhaps like being alone for prolonged period of time because none of the players will attempt to interact with you unless it involves punching, stabbing or shooting? Do you really think that we need DayZ standalone anymore?

So you decided to play a game in alpha and at that a barebones EXPERIMENTAL version of that alpha and you're not happy with it - thats a shocker

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Zing Freelancer said:

Let me round this off by asking a simple question, where is the game play loop in Dayz? What is it even supposed to look like? Do you think that going from house to house is fun, that listening to your character wheeze as he/she is trying to catch breath is fun. Do you perhaps think wool coats and track suites are fashionable again? Do you think that occasional joust with zombies is fun while they flail wildly with their limbs? Do you perhaps like being alone for prolonged period of time because none of the players will attempt to interact with you unless it involves punching, stabbing or shooting? Do you really think that we need DayZ standalone anymore?

I think what the game play loop is "supposed" to look like is this.  You start on the beach with minimal gear a bit hungry and thirsty.  You then spend a lot of time picking your way around a mostly empty, but picturesque wilderness and scattered towns looking for stuff to help you survive.  Much of it will be junk.  Some of it will be junk that helps you survive a bit longer.  Like something you can fashion into a rope or bandages or a weapon marginally better than bare fists.  Every so often you find something super-useful like a hunting rifle or large backpack.  If you're really lucky, you find some military grade shit.  The entire time, you have to be mindful of zombies, making every excursion a bit of a risk/benefit analysis.  Ideally you get into a routine of explore, finding food/water, preparing it and repeat.  And every so often, you encounter another player or players, which raises the possibilities of either cooperation or a brief firefight that sends you back to the beach.

I suspect that actual game play loop is wandering around stuffing your face with apples and wearing track suits until some idiot punches you in the head.

• Beans 2

The forecast calls for tears.

Lots and lots of tears.

I've got catchment placed all around, so I can stay hydrated yet slightly salty through the Alpha.

The more the devs implement the survival aspects of the game, the more the tears will pour.

Put the *insert the word fucking* game down and come back when it's done. Even if you don't like Vanilla there will likely be a mod version you will enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

I have a good suggestion. What about totally removing loot from the game. And making it actual survival, like only fishing, hunting, planting and growing stuff... pvp - only bows and sticks. It would make sense to do it by now, because looting is all you do now, and it is just almost it by now anyway. Just remove the loot completely, and gamepaly will improve for sure. I'd be fine with it - no loot at all much better than an economy system which is a joke. Runing from house to house for several hours just to pick up the very basic beginning is just not a dayz. 

OOOOOR make it normal like it used to be few years ago. 

Players used to repeat - don't get attached to gear in dayz, and you'll have fun. So how on earth you'll have fun in DayZ if it is all about searching for loot, how on earth you aren't going to get attached to loot if it takes you HOURS to collect it. It is not challenging - it just takes a lot of time.

I'd better type in usual rant about this subject rather than run from house to house for whole playtime again :D

Where is modding, is it here already ? 

On 6/17/2018 at 5:07 AM, Zing Freelancer said:

*insert whiny BS here*

Wool Coats and track suits everywhere? As others have stated, you can cut them up and make useful items out of them (rags, rope (combining previously made rags) so they're not useless items as you claim. You're just too small minded to see their usefulness.

Hunger and thirst. The problem here is that you're full on sprinting instead of jogging. If you jogged instead of sprinting, then you wouldn't be getting thirsty or hungry as quickly as you are. Think of it as real life, where the faster you run, the more hungry, thirsty, and tired you become. If you jogged at a moderate pace though, then it would take longer to become thirsty, hungry, or even tired. I have a feeling though that you're one of those kids that think you should be able to run endlessly without getting tired, and barely hungry, thirsty by the time you get pretty far north as it is in 0.62.

Why don't you answer this question: Are you able to run for miles without running out of breath in real life? What about around a whole island?

Okay, did I somehow miss that we can now shred wool coats into rags in .63?

And I'm starting to think with stamina slowing things down, the gameplay loop is going to change and the old adage of "don't get attached to your gear" will become somewhat less relevant.  It seems that with the slower pace of travel, players are going to get more attached to their progress; perhaps even dropping their whole backpack and that extra rifle that hangs like an albatross around their neck, just to save the character and his 10 km traveled and the 15,000 calories he's managed to stock up in his belly.  "It took me 6 hours of careful play to get to this point, I'll bypass the airfield for now, and stick with my CR527 rather than risk losing it all."

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

A fault on my side, you cant wool coats make to rags, but many other clothes.

I agree with the rest of your post ;-)

18 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Okay, did I somehow miss that we can now shred wool coats into rags in .63?

And I'm starting to think with stamina slowing things down, the gameplay loop is going to change and the old adage of "don't get attached to your gear" will become somewhat less relevant.  It seems that with the slower pace of travel, players are going to get more attached to their progress; perhaps even dropping their whole backpack and that extra rifle that hangs like an albatross around their neck, just to save the character and his 10 km traveled and the 15,000 calories he's managed to stock up in his belly.  "It took me 6 hours of careful play to get to this point, I'll bypass the airfield for now, and stick with my CR527 rather than risk losing it all."

So are you suggesting that the goal of this game now is to reach the inlands as far as possibru ?
It would make sense for Mount Chomolungma simulator (pun about Dean Halls trip intended).

I would doubt actually, because to find loot is pretty difficult and people are definitely going to get crazy attached to it now. 

I think the weakest point will be the patience of the players, and they will just log off feeling like they gathered the loot - completed the game, and will just start new char...

Edited by Mantasisg

4 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

So are you suggesting that the goal of this game now is to reach the inlands as far as possibru ?
It would make sense for Mount Chomolungma simulator (pun about Dean Halls trip intended).

I would doubt actually, because to find loot is pretty difficult and people are definitely going to get crazy attached to it now. 

I think the weakest point will be the patience of the players, and they will just log off feeling like they gathered the loot - completed the game, and will just start new char...

I prefer Mount Chimichanga.

And indeed, the thing I have valued in my few sessions of .63 is not the loot that I gathered (threw away the SVD and UMP i was carrying just so I could travel at a reasonable pace), but rather the progress that I had made both geographically and in terms of character health.

Don't hoard food, as it does the same thing regardless of how long you wait to put it in your belly, and just adds to your burden.  Keep your most important items in your pants and jacket, like rags and ammo and water.  Carry burlap and rope so you can downsize and still bring a few shiny treasures with you as you delusionally promise yourself you will eventually come back for the discarded mountain backpack which ate up 2/3 of your stamina bar; but in reality, you will have found a new backpack with better things and don't want to waste time to jog/walk back to you backpack.  So you again discard you new backpack and make a courier bag to carry your prezzius with you as you trek back to the first backpack you left behind.

Oh shit, what was the decay time for a backpack again?

I want to put on a ballistic vest and run full speed 15 km to the far end of the map. This game sucks because I cannot do that.

Got it.

• Beans 2

Its almost as if the game is still in development....

• Like 1
  • Beans 4

19 hours ago, OrLoK said:

One of the things I like about this forum is when I  log in I get a message reminding me :  "I am not a robot"  - It always makes me feel better to read that. I feel more human.

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Beans 1

On 6/20/2018 at 11:54 PM, emuthreat said:

I prefer Mount Chimichanga.
Oh shit, what was the decay time for a backpack again?

You are very into mountains and geography :D

As for backpacks decay time, honestly I don't even remember. There are way too little interactions with other players, which I used to think as the main thing of the game. I want to launch DayZ randomly, meet random people and continue having all those unique experiences whenever I'll have few spare hours in the weekend. Solving problem which backpack to choose, and where I need/want to go is nothing, we could be playing women shopping simulator as well trying to choose which bag to pick for three hours.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, OrLoK said:

Almost...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bfisher said:

Almost...

DAMN

Edited by Solopopo

I think it's hilarious four years later people are still saying the loot economy is going to get better.

And it clearly hasn't yet. Lol.

Edited by DeatHTaX