Sign in to follow this  
Scope113

Where is the Headbob option

I'm playing experimental and can not play for more then a few minutes without getting sick. I need headbob off to be able to play. Has this option been removed or am I missing it?

Indeed, headbob is one of the worst things in video games. First, it's sickening (mismatch between your equilibrium organ and bobbing eyes - not to be mixed up with sitting in RL in moving car/train and watching the evironment). Second, IT IS TOTALLY UNREALISTIC AND STUPID.

When you walk (run, jump or whatever) in the real world, the world also does NOT shake in front of your eyes (unless you sit on an old washing machine with a high spin cycle). The world in front of your eyes is always fixed but your eyes slide in front of the scenery (don't know how to describe it). Do you have a feeling of the world bobbing up and down when you jum rope? No. You still perceive a "fixed/immobile" world but your eyes are moving (along with your body/head).

In a video game the screen level itself are your eyes. The player's eyes don't exist within the video game, so to speak. When the screen level shakes (head bob), it creates an effect that does not exist in the real world. Since your RL-eyes are a second level in front of your VR-eyes (screen), you perceive a shaking world instead of moving eyes/body in a "fixed" world.

So in short, make head bob optional and everybody should be fine.

• Beans 1

This rotten bobbing in 3rd person is a sign for ignorance and vanity of the devs or the responsible management person. And a lack of experience and foresight in developing. Cheap fancy gimmickry that makes the game unplayable for some people. And they dont't care...

This silly bobbing isn't up and down like in reallife, it is a left right swing, this must come from a tard.

Edited by Sharplooter

16 hours ago, Sharplooter said:

This rotten bobbing in 3rd person is a sign for ignorance and vanity of the devs or the responsible management person. And a lack of experience and foresight in developing. Cheap fancy gimmickry that makes the game unplayable for some people. And they dont't care...

This silly bobbing isn't up and down like in reallife, it is a left right swing, this must come from a tard.

Firstly, 3rd person, lol.  Also head bob in 3pp is so outlandishly extra that I have to go see if this is actually real.  

And in response to your last line:  Dude, that's not PC.  The currently preferred nomenclature is "rarted."  I learned this from the internet, presumably from young people.  Am I getting old, or are kids just getting worse every decade?

1 hour ago, emuthreat said:

Firstly, 3rd person, lol.  Also head bob in 3pp is so outlandishly extra that I have to go see if this is actually real.  

Thanks for confirming how absurd and ludicrous a head bob in the third person view is. I don't know what the reason was for this, tediousness? lack of creativity? That consolish crap you usually find in games like Gears of War and other infantile games.

Ironically in the first person view there is hardly head bob, paradox.

But the outrage here is the devs dictation because the player can't turn it off.

Edited by Sharplooter

Maybe they put strong head bob in to balance the advantage of 3pp camera seeing that which the player is not exposed to inversely by LOS?

I'm not particularly fond of 3pp play, though I did run on a 3pp EXP server yesterday at the preference of a friend who doesn't like the 1pp FOV.
I have actually suggested that the 3pp camera be rendered as a floating orange ball over the player's head to offset the advantage of invisibly peeking over cover; and it was not entirely tongue-in-cheek...

• Beans 3

Absolutely agree with removing head-bob.

While it doesn't affect me, headbob motion sickness is legitimate.  No one gets motion sickness because they're bad at the game.  These people don't have this penaly in real life and it has nothing to do with skill.  Definitely NOT authentic.

I imagine game developers aren't afflicted by it, because, well, they're game developers.  So, it may be more difficult to realize.  Bad idea.

I'm going to quit DayZ because they removed headbob.

-no one ever

• Beans 1

Yeah I was watching another game in development recently that removed headbob from their game as their research indicated that in real life your brain somehow compensates for movement so you don't appear to have any headbob. 

Also it was making many people sick. So my 2 cents is, give people the option to remove it.