vihkr

ARMA 2 -> DayZ Lore Factions Clarified

According to the Armaverse Timeline, the events in ARMA 2 (2009) concluded before the Outbreak and the events portrayed in DayZ, which started between August 2012 and the "offfical" release of February 2013.

However, there remains consistent speculation about which factions were actually involved in DayZ lore, taking the in-game assets into account from both the Mod and Standalone and I've read some pretty detailed (and in some cases outlandish) lore on this forum to this effect. Here's the complete list as I currently understand it (with a brief from my viewpoint). Please add your ideas, thoughts and justifications.

• Army of the Czech Republic: due to Sa.58 in the Mod. However, this could simply be foreign weapons imports, which are common during a civil war like in ARMA 2.

• British Armed Forces: due to DPM skin, Lee Enfield, L85A2 and FN FAL in the Mod, and UK Assault vests and DPM camo items plus FN FAL in Standalone. Again, this could simply be foreign military equipment imports during a civil war.

• Bundeswehr: due to G36 in Mod and various Flecktarn items in Standalone. This has been used as evidence to "prove" that the KSK was oper8ing in Chernarus. Then again, NAPA was known to wear Flecktarn during 2009 and the weapons could be imports.

• Chernarus Defence Forces: berets, TTsKO camo assets plus weapons. These guys were clearly there before and during the Outbreak.

• Chernarussian Movement of the Red Star: beret asset. Assumed to be present due to ARMA 2 history.

• ION Private Military Contractors: seen some speculations that some of these guys may have been involved.

• New Zealand: due to the single beret asset. This is likely just an easter egg due to Rocket's prior service there.

• Russians: assumed to present due to ARMA 2 campaign. Perhaps as "peacekeepers" just prior to DayZ?

• UN: due to the helmets and berets as well as the Balota base and various aid stations and roadblocks. There seems to have been a UN presence in South Zagoria prior to DayZ, which implies that if you take the Operation Harvest Red campaign as canon, the outcome was either Setting Sail or The War That Never Was. These UN peacekeepers therefore could have Russian and/or these UN peacekeepers could also have been there specifically to deal with the beginnings of the Outbreak.

• United States Army: seen some speculations that some of these guys may have been involved.

• United States Marine Corps: due to M14 and M16A2 in the Mod and MARPAT and BDU clothing in Standalone. USMC has long been assumed to be involved in the immediate background of DayZ due to the assets and their prior involvement in the ARMA 2 campaign.

• Haha 1

At first I was like.. wtf? But then I noticed this is your first time here, and your first post.. 

So welcome! :)

2 minutes ago, Irish. said:

At first I was like.. wtf? But then I noticed this is your first time here, and your first post.. 

Er, ya. Thanks. I've searched the forums for a "definitive" understanding of factions in Chernarus prior to DayZ, but I get a lot of flights of fancy where posters are speculating about KSK units and the such. Can you point me at post or posts where this is defined? Or is this a fools errand?

• Beans 1

I've been reading the forums off and on for years. I do not think there has ever been a "definitive" post of info on the military/relief units involved in the outbreak in Chernarus. My understanding is that it was a international effort to try and help Chernarus while the outbreak/infection occurred. That relief effort then moved out of the area as the infection spread beyond the borders of Chernarus. I think Rocket/Dean even stated the we (survivors) were supposedly on the last ship to leave the area, but then that ship somehow sank and we washed up on the coast. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Edited by ZogVarnoka
typos

7 hours ago, ZogVarnoka said:

I've been reading the forums off and on for years. I do not think there has ever been a "definitive" post of info on the military/relief units involved in the outbreak in Chernarus. My understanding is that it was a international effort to try and help Chernarus while the outbreak/infection occurred. That relief effort then moved out of the area as the infection spread beyond the borders of Chernarus. I think Rocket/Dean even stated the we (survivors) were supposedly on the last ship to leave the area, but then that ship somehow sank and we washed up on the coast. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Thanks. I also found this on lore: https://dayz.gamepedia.com/DayZ_Lore