Tom Hawks

Need some honest advice...

Before I get DayZ, I have a few questions.

Some people tell me that the map is really big, the server only has 45 players max. Is it hard to find players?

Is it still as buggy as everyone is saying it is?

I might join with a friend of mine, will I be able to spawn near the same place as him? Can we teleport to each other? Is it hard to find your way?

How many players are in each server?

Is it better than h1z1?

Do the majority of players have a actual mic and talk, or is it just typing?

Hi, and welcome :)

First of all, this game is not finished. Of course it has bugs and also missing features. What makes it special is the unique feeling, none like other much quicker FPS out there. This one is closer to an RPG so it's usually slow and sometimes hard to survive for newbies, but the pace can really speed up at the heat of the moment.

Map is really big, about 255 sq km, and of course you'd have trouble finding your place playing for the first time. The servers are capable of 60 players which is the case most of the times. Some server owners decide to keep it at 30 max. If you played Arma 2 in Chernarus, you'd have no trouble with the map size I think. The layout was changed somewhat and refreshed a couple of times since then. But basically, you'd most likely run into other players at mutual points of interest like places with loot (cities and military bases). They usually have mics and some communicate, some just shoot on sight :)

The game currently has none of these features you're looking for like spawning near to your friend and teleporting.

There are two game branches available to play. Stable and experimental.

Current stable version is 0.62. The 0.63 experimental version is still in works and in testing, with whole new different engine and player controller which plays quite differently but lacks some 0.62 features and items from the stable version. That will be added back over time as will the new content.

I'd suggest you take a look at some Dayz youtuber's videos like The Runningmanz and M1nd3r to name a few, and check out if that kind of gameplay is for you in the first place. It costs a bit of time, but you don't have to buy the game if you don't like it. I'd rather not compare it with H1Z1 or similar, since it can be very well be that the Dayz mod for Arma 2 (which this standalone version was based on) was the thing that kind of started out that whole genre.

Current server population is max 60 on .62.  The target for .63 to 1.0 is 100 players.  The map totals 15x15 Kilometers, but about 60 sq km is water along the south and east.

It is not really that buggy anymore.  .62 is the most polished older version of the game, and plays pretty well.  .63 is in stress tests awaiting a solid experimental candidate.  Both versions are very much playable at this time, with .63 being about 60% feature complete.

DayZ is an experience more than a game.  It takes time to learn, and patience to master. The map is big, and takes a while to learn. The best starting advice I can give you to find your friend quickly is for each of you to find the coast, and then the sun or moon.  If you are on the coast and the sun is offshore and low, you are on the east coast. You can communicate this to your friend, and keep the coast to your right and left sides, respectively, to meet up eventually in most cases. 

This game is better than H1Z1; I bought it a couple years ago and never even got two hours in. In fact, most of my steam library is useless because of DayZ.

Most players have a microphone, and all players should have a microphone.  Playing without a mic is a serious handicap, because most players will not trust someone who is not talking.  Even in the case that someone may be responsive to text, they may not notice the text before getting scared and shooting as you approach close enough.  Text chat is only visible to players close enough to hear you.  Don't play Dayz without a microphone.  use a good headset or people might kill you out of frustration with the background noise.

You will die and have to start over, A LOT. Don't get discouraged.

Use each life as a learning experience.  Even after thousands of hours, this advice stands.

Start playing on .63 to get the feel for the new systems.  Right click Dayz in the left side of your steam library, select properties, go to betas tab, hit drop-down menu and opt into stress test.  Password is 'ireallywanttotest"

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

The map is huge. The best thing to grab is some kind of bag. Then the next is a compass. Head inland - North. When moving about built up areas always check your 6 (behind you). If in doubt switch camera angles to look round corners. Do not trust anyone - keep distance from other players, most of them will try and kill you.

10 hours ago, Sgt-Recon said:

The map is huge. The best thing to grab is some kind of bag. Then the next is a compass. Head inland - North. When moving about built up areas always check your 6 (behind you). If in doubt switch camera angles to look round corners. Do not trust anyone - keep distance from other players, most of them will try and kill you.

Right.

But it also depends on where you play. Military areas are always a very high risk. And on the 1pp (hardcore servers) you'll see a different kind of players than on 3pp servers.

On 6/2/2018 at 5:08 PM, Sgt-Recon said:

"Most of them will try and kill you".

This is the mentality that leads people playing DayZ like some sort of open-world KoS-fest.

@Tom Hawks

I will say, be cautious of other people. If you want to interact with them, be sure you have eyes on them first, and be in a position that you can communicate with them over mic, and watch their reaction. Most people from watching YouTube, Twitch, or reading on the Forums/Reddit have been made to feel as if, everyone is going to kill you, so you have to kill them first. Which is crud, I have 2366 hours in-game, still play it as the survivor who wants interaction over shooting everything that moves. If I wanted to gun everything down, I'de play CoD.

But yes, in most cases, spots to avoid just running around mindlessly are the coast, and military locations (Bases/Air fields/Tents.) as these spots are high-pvp. I would encourage you also, to play on medium/high pop servers as this is the best way to learn the game, because you have motivators like people shooting at you to play smart.

If you need help, msg me, and we can explore.