Sign in to follow this  
lord3n

Character Development and possible solution to KOS

to add value to peoples characters, why not add books and manuals to the game for certain things, like fixing a car, or giving another player a bloodbag. but instead of a book that covers a broad base of things, like repairs to vehicles, you can have players find specific repair manuals for each vehicle in the game. maybe you can fix a car, but not a bus unless you interact with that specific manual. players can find them at garages, maybe schools, etc. And for the military vehicles (if there are any) they can be found only at military bases. Books on giving blood, determining which sickness you might have, if sick, and more complex healing can be found in hospitals, maybe schools as well. Books of fixing guns or attachments for weapons could be found in shops, homes, etc. books on building bases, various levels of building could require books to interact with. using electricity could require books or risk getting electrocuted. books for fishing and hunting, could yield better quality food.

im sure its been mentioned before, but adding more value to players characters should help with the KOS mentality. players who are long time survivors and have read through (clicking on book once its found) a lot of information, could be a great benefit to a growing group of new survivors, helping them attain certain things they couldnt get normally as fresh spawns. if developed that way.

thoughts?

Yeah I like the idea but i'm not sure it will stop KOS... I'm not 100% sure what but something extra is needed to stop KOS. Right now the goal seems so be - get geared and use that gear to kill people, because what else are you going to do with it?!

I incentives to not KOS could come in the form of mods but i hope the developers add something more to deter this play style.

Maybe the solution is to make the environment a bigger threat than players, to force people to work together. e.g. roaming zombies, more zombies around high value loot areas or an NPC bandit faction.

Edited by Rek Seven

I like the idea man! Personally I think it's a little too RPG-y to be implemented, and I think this would probably promote more hermiting then reduce KOS. I do find it strange that a guy who wakes up on a beach is fully weapon proficient, able to run considerable distances, fully fix vehicles and potentially fly helicopters - but I think generally having a book system might push DayZ further towards Rust (blueprints), which is quite a different game. Maybe this concept is one for modding to realise.

I figure its a bit more authentic if you have to learn how to do some things in the game. I know if i had a character who gained some more advanced abilities, I personally would be more cautious with that character, especially if these books and manuals were not all that common. maybe not rare, but players will need to search for them. it would also be a reason for players to visit locations like schools, and other areas where these books could spawn. maybe without the proper medical knowledge, one player could risk contaminating a blood transfer to another player, actually giving him an infection that took a while to kick in. but reading the book, made it 100% safe.

simple electrical stuff might be doable without knowledge, but if a player were trying to restore electricity to a town, or working on a huge generator for bigger buildings, that could require the know-how to do those more advanced tasks, or if the jobs are more dangerous (high voltage electricity) manuals could guarantee it was done safely. maybe without a manual it didn't kill the player, but it destroyed whatever it was they were working with, forcing the player to find new components and try again.

Unfortunately the only reliable way to curtail KoS is through server settings, whitelisting, and server rules.

Loot scarcity can have an impact as well, but somehow I doubt vanilla DayZ will push scarcity to it's limits.

Also, many game play factors are not in place yet. A lot of what we discuss may not apply to what the finished product is like.

Personally, I am becoming more and more certain that a survival centered mod may be what I end up playing most.

• Beans 2